Is the game still worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alphawolf262
  • 32 comments
  • 4,525 views
Messages
10
Australia
Canberra
Messages
Alphawolf262
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get into sim racing, so I thought that the gt franchise would be a good place to start. Is gt5 still worth getting for 29$AU or should I just wait for the next game.

cheers, wolf.


And if you didn't already know, I plan to use a wheel for racing, not a pad.

EDIT: Also I'd like to know the difference between Gran Turismo 5 academy edition and Gran Turismo 5, thanks.
 
Academy edition you get extras, such as the Academy edition cars. For the full list, try official website.

If you have a wheel, GT5 is still a good game. As a single player racing game, its pretty average to be honest. As a sim with a wheel on your own on a track with your wheel. Its fantastic fun. Handling is great, you can cheat them, but I choose not too and find it very good. It really is. Online extends the life of it and so does the seasonal events that get updated frequently.
As for witing for the next one. Well nobody knows when that will be or which console, this or ps4. My opinion is the PS4 and i think that is the educated opinion too.
 
Hey alpha,

Have sent a PM, but in a nutshell, yes you should get it.

If you can get a stable connection, with no lagging the game is fantastic. The A and B spec is a little lacking in depth, but its still pretty good.

Cheers
Stu
 
Yeah. I still find it enjoyable, never played online either!
 
Yeah. I still find it enjoyable, never played online either!

Agreed. I've found plenty of life in this game without going anywhere near the online part of it.
 
Agreed. I've found plenty of life in this game without going anywhere near the online part of it.

I don't understand this. The online part can open up a completely new experience if you find the right people to do it with!
 
I don't understand this. The online part can open up a completely new experience if you find the right people to do it with!

Yea , it's hard to avoid Trollers :sick:
 
GT5 is a driving sim, not a racing sim, & imo the offline game isn't very good. If you want a real motor racing sim experience, then buy GT5 & head on over to the online events run by GT Planet members by clicking here.


👍
 
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get into sim racing, so I thought that the gt franchise would be a good place to start. Is gt5 still worth getting for 29$AU or should I just wait for the next game.

cheers, wolf.


And if you didn't already know, I plan to use a wheel for racing, not a pad.

We covered "Is GT5 Dying" on our last GTPodcast, and I think the debate may be relevant to your question. Download the episode here.
 
D-Max
I don't understand this. The online part can open up a completely new experience if you find the right people to do it with!

Thats my problem with online, finding the right people is difficult. I hardly use any online games because of this.
 
Thats my problem with online, finding the right people is difficult. I hardly use any online games because of this.

Host, and don't hesitate to kick the problem players. I host races almost nightly ('Clean & Relaxed',10p US CST if you're interested in joining), and because I'm respectful I've developed a following of about 6-10 racers PLUS the people from here that I race against on a consistent basis. Get to know the people that are online around the same time you are by hosting, sending friend requests, and following up with them the next time you race.

"If people would just apply the same rules in life to online, they'd probably have a much more enjoyable experience." -Wardez in Episode 3
 
Is GT5 still worth it? Depends, if you already own a PS3 (or if purchasing a PS3 isn't an issue at all) then it's definitely worth buying GT5 as it's gradually improved since it was launched and despite many flaws I still reckon it's a great game (and good value, especially now with reduced prices).
If purchasing a PS3 is a big investment for you, then it's perhaps good to know we still haven't got a clue whether GT6 will arrive on PS3 or PS4 and when it's due to arrive.

Furthermore, you might wish to do some further research (or try it out if that's possible) to see if GT5 is the game for you or whether Forza 4 would be more suited to your personal preferences (both games have different aspects and features the other one hasn't got, both have their positives and negatives) as asking strangers on a forum dedicated to one game might not give you the full objective picture and more importantly, we also don't know so far what you're specifically looking for or find important.
 
Well, asking this question in a GT5 forum the response is quite obvious. :lol:
Try to get a copy via Ebay - it`s still goes for 12-15 Euro in good (used) condition.
 
Thanks for feed back guys, Just bought the game :D
 
Alphawolf262
Thanks for feed back guys, Just bought the game :D

Nice, if you want any cars just message me on here. I'll see what I can do for you.
 
A walla bird bird bird is the word a walla bird ..... Surfing walalalalalaala

get the game!!!!!!!!
 
I'll strongly recommend it. I dabbled in dirt 3, playing f1 2012, tried forza 4 after playing gt5. So far, still find gt5 very enjoyable. But as mentioned, you should probably try forza 4 if you have not bought a console. It's a good sim as well.
 
Thanks for feed back guys, Just bought the game :D


Congratulations! Even though GT5 does have many flaws, it's still an awesome experience, especially if you find a well organised online series on GT Planet.


Happy racing!

👍
 
Aside from the original Counter-Strike, i've never played a game as much as GT5. Lapping the Nordschleife never gets old.
 
I made a GT5 break a few weeks long (though, i am a- and b-spec lvl 40 since a while now and got a bit bored). The HSV-010 DLC brought me back to drive a few laps and i noticed, my b-spec bobs need a push to get their own lvl to 40 too.

The last two days, my bobs drove the 24h and 4h Nordschleife races. Those made me realize why i like GT5 so much. Even it is only b-spec, i am amazed from just watching GT5, especially the evening to night part from Nurb 24h was so awesome.

Though i am a engine/exhaust sound fan, that's one thing where improvements must be made. Improved engine/exhaust sounds and more cars on the track would be like watching real life racing :dopey:
 
Though i am a engine/exhaust sound fan, that's one thing where improvements must be made. Improved engine/exhaust sounds and more cars on the track would be like watching real life racing :dopey:

Seconded, though increased competition AI would be great too, the awful tendency they have to park on every corner :grumpy: needs to go.
 
Totally worth it, better today by far than at launch. I still play regularly and don't play anything else. However, it is what you make of it. take the time and read up on this site and you will find plenty to help along the way.

Good luck - and welcome to the Planet!
 
Thanks for feed back guys, Just bought the game :D

Now get yourself up to par by playing some A Spec and work on locating an online group here on GT Planet for good clean racing. You will not be disappointed. The online with the right people truly makes the game shine.

Have fun!
 
IMO its far and away the best driving/car game on the PS3. Its also one of the only ones that isn't an arcade racer that is drive-able with a DS. Most of the others are horribly twitchy with a controller.

Personally, I think the offline is fantastic (I've almost never gone online with it either) for one reason more than anything else - The Ring. I find it endlessly fun to pick a car from my garage, set a nice time of day and run laps @ Nurburgring.

The one thing I would dearly love GT5 to have is a few really long point to point courses. A nice "coastal" course, a mountain course, that sort of thing with time of day. twenty or thirty miles - ideally real world locales too. I would LOVE that...
 
^^ so true. We need longer mountain,beach side courses. xD
 
Yes it is. At least you'll save some money... I'm sure there will be some low prize copies of the game somewhere waiting for you :)
 
Back