Is there any point in the difficulty level?

• Thread starter GazB_UK
  • 91 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to GTPlanet and GT7 but im wondering what the point is to the dificulty rating.

I started on hard and ive been progressing nicely (apart from the famous gr3 event at the start) and now ive got to the stage where i cant win gold without either tuning the cars up (which i really cant be bothered with) or turning the setting down to normal. Ive just got to menu book 11 and 12 (french hot hatches and petite course de france) and i cant get gold. It was only today that i realised that the prize money doesnt change with difficulty so im now tempted to go down to normal.
Ive got a couple of questions.

1. If i stick with hard am i expected to tune up cars for upcoming events to be able to compete and get gold?

2. The update from polyphony mentioned further upcoming changes to prize money for events based on a number of factors but will one of those factors be the difficulty setting?

Also, sorry if this has already been covered. 🙂

u cant be bothered to go to the shop and put a turbo into a car or soft tyres/weight reduction??
Tbh no i cant be bothered. Esp if i have to do it for every menu book race from now on.
Also, i dont have that much money, and i dont really like the idea of tuning every car up a bit just to get through the game. I prefer to leave them stock.

The point is to make the events more challenging. Difficulty levels are a rather common sight in video games, for that simple reason.
Agreed but i cant believe there is no reward for it!
There normally is any video game. I hope they change this.

u dont have to tune it to win, use a better car or just get better at the game lol
Yes but youre limited with car choice, for example i can only use french hot hatches for the recent menus and getting gold is one hell of a stretch without tuning.
Esp when you can just turn it down to normal and get gold anyway and save lots of money and not be penalised in anyway.

Doesnt make sense to me. Playing at a harder difficulty should at least be rewarded a little since its going to cost considerably more in money, time, effort, tuning and practice.

Seems to me that maybe tuning is part of playing the game so its kinda like saying "I can't be bothered to play"
Replays & photomodes are part of the game, and some people don't use that either. I rather think part of the popularity of gran turismo games is how it has something for everyone.

I have not tried changing the difficulty, I think it's just "regular" and I left it there. I was wondering if the difference is very noticeable?

Last edited:
Turning the difficulty to Hard has given me some tough but very enjoyable races from the AI. There has been times when I really had to push my skills to catch F. Portilla(usually the 1st place AI driver), but man it felt so rewarding to catch him at the last second to pull off a win. So yes, there's definitely a point to having the hard AI difficulty. They put up a good fight, and if you can't be bothered to learn how to tune your car to get better performance out of it to beat the AI on Hard well, I don't know what to tell you. Put it on Normal I guess?

Says the guy who can't be bothered to spell You properly. 🤣
:D everyone has different priorities when it comes to quantifying "bother"

personally I just like to spend more time racing and watching replays than nose in the tuning screen. so that's me then. "others mileage may vary" groan :rolleyes:

I think OP has a few points, some good, some 'self made'

They mention not getting more rewards / credits for higher difficulty, this I think we all agree is only a good thing if PD change it. This is also completely separate to the core issue OP has created.

BUT, a big but, OP refuses to tune to compete at higher difficulties. That is a decision OP has made and if they wish to continue, there is no point complaining about not winning if they do not use the tools the game gives you. It is all there but it seems OP wont tune as it will (quote) 'cost considerably more in money, time, effort, tuning and practice'

OP you have 3 options:

• Change difficulty down to medium and don't tune
  • Keep difficulty at hard, refuse to tune, don't win
  • Keep difficulty at hard, tune and enjoy winning / progressing

The stubbornness of refusing to tune at a higher level because the payouts are the same is completely self made.
If anything I would guess PD would just reduce the easy, medium payouts to show gaining more' for playing on hard. If this occured would you be ok with tuning on hard? (you are earning more on hard than medium)

I mean no shade dude, just laying it out all in one post. There are options there, if you choose not to use them (tuning/lower difficulty) that is your choice but you cannot complain like above when you have created the situation.

Happy racing

Yes but youre limited with car choice, for example i can only use french hot hatches for the recent menus and getting gold is one hell of a stretch without tuning.
Esp when you can just turn it down to normal and get gold anyway and save lots of money and not be penalised in anyway.

Doesnt make sense to me. Playing at a harder difficulty should at least be rewarded a little since its going to cost considerably more in money, time, effort, tuning and practice.
I agree there should be better pay outs for doing the races on hard. One way I used to progress with minimal spending was to do the race that you win the best prize car, even if you only finish 3rd it's enough to help you progress.

If you're talking about Menu Book 11 that you win the French Hot Hatches in though, you're not actually limited to only using French hot hatches. You're not even limited to FWD drivetrain. You can use any road car of any PP from UK, Germany, France, Italy and Austria.

I think OP has a few points, some good, some 'self made'

They mention not getting more rewards / credits for higher difficulty, this I think we all agree is only a good thing if PD change it. This is also completely separate to the core issue OP has created.

BUT, a big but, OP refuses to tune to compete at higher difficulties. That is a decision OP has made and if they wish to continue, there is no point complaining about not winning if they do not use the tools the game gives you. It is all there but it seems OP wont tune as it will (quote) 'cost considerably more in money, time, effort, tuning and practice'

OP you have 3 options:

The stubbornness of refusing to tune at a higher level because the payouts are the same is completely self made.
If anything I would guess PD would just reduce the easy, medium payouts to show gaining more' for playing on hard. If this occured would you be ok with tuning on hard? (you are earning more on hard than medium)

I mean no shade dude, just laying it out all in one post. There are options there, if you choose not to use them (tuning/lower difficulty) that is your choice but you cannot complain like above when you have created the situation.

Happy racing
You dont earn more from hard than normal and thats my point.
As the title says is there any point in the difficulty?
Now, ive been playing games a long time and at various difficulties and the draw to coming back to a game and beating it at a higher difficulty has always been rewarding with unlocks and achievements etc. We all know this. Why are we pretending that this setup is the norm? Even amongst other racers its not the norm. You get 50% race bonus for a clean race, could there not be a bit extra for doing it on hard?
With that same logic whats the point in being rewarded for beating the licences on gold? Why do they give you something extra?
I cant even think of another game that doesnt reward you at all for playing at a higher difficulty although im sure there are some out there.
Anyways, i was sort of hoping this might change as it seems changes are being made.

Also whats OP and PD?

O
You dont earn more from hard than normal and thats my point.
As the title says is there any point in the difficulty?
Now, ive been playing games a long time and at various difficulties and the draw to coming back to a game and beating it at a higher difficulty has always been rewarding with unlocks and achievements etc. We all know this. Why are we pretending that this setup is the norm? Even amongst other racers its not the norm. You get 50% race bonus for a clean race, could there not be a bit extra for doing it on hard?
With that same logic whats the point in being rewarded for beating the licences on gold? Why do they give you something extra?
I cant even think of another game that doesnt reward you at all for playing at a higher difficulty although im sure there are some out there.
Anyways, i was sort of hoping this might change as it seems changes are being made.

Also whats OP and PD?
OP is Original Poster and PD is Polyphony Digital.

I agree and acknowledge your point of not earning more credits in relation to difficulty. I am not disagreeing and hopefully they change the rewards (in a positive way because there is every chance they could just reduce the easy/medium rewards and hard stays the same, thus rewarding more for hard). I too have been gaming for decades and understand the difficulty / reward cycle.
That point is agreed upon and can get left as is. It doesn't apply to the rest of the post.

You have 2 points in your original post and are relating them directly when how the game is structured now, doesn't work.
At this point you need to separate your points:

• Rewards for higher difficulties (discussed and agreed)
  • Tuning/refusing to tune to compete in higher difficulties (you stated you do not want to tune or spend credits)

So your options, as the game is now are pretty much the 3 I listed:

If you do not want to do any of those, then I guess you wait for the update and hope PD increases rewards for hard or play different areas of the game (or a different game)

Again, I am not having a go at you but you are creating the issue yourself by not using the tools (tuning) the game gives you out of stubbornness for not being rewarded extra credit compared to playing on a lower difficulty.

O

OP is Original Poster and PD is Polyphony Digital.

I agree and acknowledge your point of not earning more credits in relation to difficulty. I am not disagreeing and hopefully they change the rewards (in a positive way because there is every chance they could just reduce the easy/medium rewards and hard stays the same, thus rewarding more for hard). I too have been gaming for decades and understand the difficulty / reward cycle.
That point is agreed upon and can get left as is. It doesn't apply to the rest of the post.

You have 2 points in your original post and are relating them directly when how the game is structured now, doesn't work.
At this point you need to separate your points:

• Rewards for higher difficulties (discussed and agreed)
  • Tuning/refusing to tune to compete in higher difficulties (you stated you do not want to tune or spend credits)

So your options, as the game is now are pretty much the 3 I listed:

If you do not want to do any of those, then I guess you wait for the update and hope PD increases rewards for hard or play different areas of the game (or a different game)

Again, I am not having a go at you but you are creating the issue yourself by not using the tools (tuning) the game gives you out of stubbornness for not being rewarded extra credit compared to playing on a lower difficulty.
I understand youre not having a go and thats fine, this is a forum for discussion. All views are fine by me 🙂

I understand fully what my choices are but as youve probably gathered im at a stage of the game now where ive only just realised that continuing on hard will require the extras without the benefits and im genuinely unsure of how to continue. I dont want to lower the difficulty in case there is some sort of future achievement or reward for starting and finishing in the same mode.
I don't mind putting in the extra time and effort tuning to get the golds but ive genuinely not been in a position like this before. There are normally pros and cons to this sort of thing but in this situation i cant see the pros.
Also, a big part of the post was to see what others did in that same situation and also hoping that someone would know if that situation is likely to change.

Funny thing is i still have no idea how il continue.

Thanks for the input and happy racing.

Replays & photomodes are part of the game, and some people don't use that either. I rather think part of the popularity of gran turismo games is how it has something for everyone.

I have not tried changing the difficulty, I think it's just "regular" and I left it there. I was wondering if the difference is very noticeable?
I started GT7 on hard because ive got a racing wheel for the first time and up until now ive always used a pad without finding the 'normal' setting too challenging in sim racing games.
I think the difference is definately noticeable though.

If you don't want to tune the cars then you should set the difficulty to where it's winnable but a fun challenge. You won't miss out on anything EXCEPT the GT experience that others really enjoy. It's perfectly OK to enjoy different experiences.

As for no extra credits for hard mode. Personally I don't see it as an issue, the difficulty is there to enable people to have the challenge they want and as such we all progress and earn at the same rate and we all can pick a difficulty we find fun relative to the way we each play. I don't need to be rewarded for preferring to play on hard.

FYI, I bought tires and weight reduction for a handful of cars and completed the menus with over a mil in the bank. It's worth noting that you don't need to save much from the early races because the pay outs jump a lot before the end of the menus. Also, it seems they are likely to increase further in the near future.

If you just put on racing softs (or even just sports softs) you will do much better. I'm sure the "AI" cars are on racing softs all the time, there are some quite unbeliavable turning if they are on sports medium going on.
This can't even be called tuning, it's just putting on tires. No more complex than buying a better car so you don't drive that Toyota Aqua against Porsches.

If you just play the Menu in GT the game will provide you with enough credits to get all the cars needed and also for tuning. I never ran out of credits. The problem with not having enough credits becomes a problem when you start to collect cars. This is the moment when you need a lot of credits and rewards won't cover it. But luckily there is an AFK grind to generate lots of credits (I already grinded appr. 35 Mio. credits)

Personally, I like the challenge. There's more of a sense of accomplishment; all the races I've ever done have been on the hard setting*.

To each their own, though. If you have more fun with the game on the easy setting, then by all means!

*Actually, I lied. When I was doing some runs of Fish Rance to make money I put it on easy as I wasn't doing it "for the racing" but just for an easy payday. Then I remembered how much I don't like the rallying, put it back on hard, and stopped doing the Fish Ranch runs.

The point of difficulty settings in every game is to give yourself a challenge, nothing more. If you think it's too hard you turn it down, if it's too easy you turn it up. Unless you play to prove something to someone else and not for your own entertainment.

Last edited:
Hi all,
New to GTPlanet and GT7 but im wondering what the point is to the dificulty rating.

I started on hard and ive been progressing nicely (apart from the famous gr3 event at the start) and now ive got to the stage where i cant win gold without either tuning the cars up (which i really cant be bothered with) or turning the setting down to normal. Ive just got to menu book 11 and 12 (french hot hatches and petite course de france) and i cant get gold. It was only today that i realised that the prize money doesnt change with difficulty so im now tempted to go down to normal.
Ive got a couple of questions.

1. If i stick with hard am i expected to tune up cars for upcoming events to be able to compete and get gold?

2. The update from polyphony mentioned further upcoming changes to prize money for events based on a number of factors but will one of those factors be the difficulty setting?

Also, sorry if this has already been covered. 🙂
I have almost all gold's in Sport w/o any tune and with hard tired, it was easy. But GT7 is much harder! I think it's impossible to get gold without tuning. When you will rich wtc600 champ you will see the real hard level. I tried it with 6 tuned cars and lost it. Only Audi 4.2 hard tuned helped me.
The difficulty so high that you need to buy new car for 1 race. I don't think that even normal difficulty let you win gold in every race

I think it was designed with a rewarding difference in mind (but still not implemented), like the arcade races.

I started the game on hard and got to book roughly 30 and then I have set it to medium. Haven’t enjoyed the game any less but have saved loads on tuning. I am sure there are many better drivers that need to tune less. Just set it at the level that is right for you.

If you can`t upgrade your cars then stay in sunday cup, you belong there
GIF by Giphy QA

Back