Is there something wrong with me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter STIG_RS6
  • 65 comments
  • 4,790 views
I collect more than one of certain cars because now the stock paint jobs for the most part change in the UCD (though were often different in the OCD from the off). I want to repaint one of my Veyrons in gold chrome but I don't want to lose any of my 4 or 5 stock paint jobs, so waiting for a dupe to show in a colour I already have :)

I seem to also go for the classic Japanese cars and American muscle cars, especially kinda dated paint jobs like gold, beige, lime green etc. (the Countach comes up in some of these too, and the Stratos)

But for some reason the one I seem to have the most of is the VW Karmann Ghia, in lots of different colours. I've been meaning to tune one of them but I have about seven of the things now. It does indeed become kinda compulsive behavour o.O
 
Sounds like obsessive compulsive disorder, and depending on the degree of affliction, it is manageable. Not all cars need to be duped, but for some like the Yellow Bird, with very distinct driving characteristics, it is not all that bad to have several with varying degrees of the non-removable upgrades installed. I even have cars that are at the same upgrade level, with engine overhaul and chassis maintenance, that only differ by mileage that drive completely different. I do think mileage is a permanent statistic taken into effect and even the GT Auto services do not completely restore the cars to 100% when performed, only that the less mileage has been accumulated the closer the car comes to baseline performance.

I have three Yellow Birds, first has 30k miles, second has 50k miles, and third has 60k. The first two drive pretty similar to each other but the third with the same tune applied sticks to the corners less than others on the Nordschleife.
 
I do think mileage is a permanent statistic taken into effect and even the GT Auto services do not completely restore the cars to 100% when performed, only that the less mileage has been accumulated the closer the car comes to baseline performance.

Other folks here have worked out how the degradation works, and you should be able to rebuild/restore to 100%, basically you lose power after a few thousand miles, there is an exact number, something like 4,000 but don't quote me.

Pretty easy to test, just pick a few of your used cars with mileage in 4 figures and by some trial and error, you will find the cusp where a rebuild has no effect, or adds a couple of HP (keeping an eye on that oil too of course)

And yeah I am OCD enough to be planning to keep a "service history" on my Excel of my cars so I know when they got a full service, and can perform at 100% :)
 
I have applied the overhauls to each car, and while it did make considerable improvement on the last car with the most mileage, it did not completely put it back on par with the others. It is very close though, like 98% restore comparatively. I do think mileage weighs into the equation even with restore services applied, just that those services minimize that effect.
 
I have applied the overhauls to each car, and while it did make considerable improvement on the last car with the most mileage, it did not completely put it back on par with the others. It is very close though, like 98% restore comparatively. I do think mileage weighs into the equation even with restore services applied, just that those services minimize that effect.

But how do you know what the power should be at 100%, with a used car? Or are you comparing to one with 0 miles? That can be misleading too as the premiums at least, benefit from some "breaking in".

Of course I really am being too obsessive and should realise that when I get around to testing cars, a few HP is really going to make little difference...
 
But how do you know what the power should be at 100%, with a used car? Or are you comparing to one with 0 miles? That can be misleading too as the premiums at least, benefit from some "breaking in".

Of course I really am being too obsessive and should realise that when I get around to testing cars, a few HP is really going to make little difference...

Sorry, I'm not being specific enough. The horsepower makes little difference on lap time, though to note, the car with 60k mileage only had 522HP after rebuild as opposed to the two others at 30k and 50k both have 523HP. My main inference was on handling quality, it took considerably more concentration and a change to my responses of the car's handling through corners to keep from running it off the track in corners on Nordschleife comparatively to the other two with lesser mileage. If you were to look at lap times alone, then all three still average close to the same and within the margin of error. The feel of the car in corners is, however, abundantly clear to me that there is a slightly looser quality to the one with the most mileage.
 
Back