Is this my fault? Looking for opinions

• Thread starter wtrain77
  • 117 comments
United States
United States
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share a video of an incident that just recently happened. I am in the Alfa Romeo on the right, I wasn't ready to concede my position heading into the next turn as I felt we were relatively side by side. As a result, I stayed aggressive taking the inside line, while giving him maximum space to the outside. However, as you can see, we collided and I ended up with a 5 second penalty. In real-time, I thought the penalty was unjust and if there was anyone at fault here, it would be the Megane driver for not giving me space to the inside. Post-race, I was surprised to receive a nasty message from the driver indicating I am to blame. Is this really my fault?

Racing incident imo. You lost traction by sticking two wheels on the grass, not able to maintain your line. The other car didn't leave a car width on the inside but it looked like he was simply maintaining equal distance to your car through the corner not paying attention to you going off road and thus losing traction.

Although looking again, it looks more like you kept equal distance to his car, and thus got crowded off the track. That's the problem with racing with lag. Did he crowd you off, or did you go off by yourself and did the other driver follow.

Giving maximum space can end up costing you, when you go on the grass, make sure not to wobble.

As far as the penalty system goes, there was contact, other car went off, you get a penalty. Simple as that.

The penalty system doesn't determine intent. It simply can't.

It looks like you unintentionally made contact because you got on the grass a little bit and it caused you to momentarily lose control. You then bumped him and that knocked him off course. I wouldn't say it was on purpose but the game can't determine that. It just knows you made contact and that the other driver went off track.

I don't know if my view helps but that's how I see it.

I am not at issue with the penalty I received. I am fully aware the algorithm will award the penalty to the inside car if contact is made regardless of true fault or intent. In fact, I have seen a certain member of GTPlanet abuse this fact to annoy other drivers by giving them penalties.

While I may have overcompensated in an effort to give the other driver room to the outside, my car was not understeering and out of control as you suggest. In fact, I would use the fact I have two wheels off as evidence against the other driver: he went so far inside as to make contact while my two wheels were on grass. Had he made any effort to leave room to the inside, no contact is made.

Yes, you are at fault. You turned in too sharply, saw you were heading for the grass, and tried to ease out your turning radius and collected him. You can't be weaving your racing line while trying to make a pass. He gave you room at corner entry, saw he still had room as you turned in, then suddenly the room was no longer there when you eased out of your over turning. Even if he was close, you two could have easily gone through side by side, but your weave mid-corner caused him to be punted.

Yes, you are at fault. You turned in too sharply, saw you were heading for the grass, and tried to ease out your turning radius and collected him. You can't be weaving your racing line while trying to make a pass. He gave you room at corner entry, saw he still had room as you turned in, then suddenly the room was no longer there when you eased out of your over turning. Even if he was close, you two could have easily gone through side by side, but your weave mid-corner caused him to be punted.
Don't listen to this guy. Going two-wide on this turn is asking for trouble. You're fine. Keep doing what you're doing.

Don't listen to this guy. Going two-wide on this turn is asking for trouble. You're fine. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks man! I had meaningful overlap with the Megane through the entire turn up until the point of contact. Not sure what The359 means, but don't I have a right to be on the track as well?

Thanks man! I had meaningful overlap with the Megane through the entire turn up until the point of contact. Not sure what The359 means, but don't I have a right to be on the track as well?
Yep, and I think it's pretty clear who was squeezing who.

1.png
2.png
3.png

FPV MIC, wow! Thanks! Can you be my video and photo editor? Or maybe my lawyer? Your evidence makes it look so convincing! Haha
Haha. Nah mate, I like retirement waayyy too much.

One thing I will mention is that I've had a couple of run-ins with people over the years and when I showed this one guy my replay and he showed me his it turned out we were both in the right and wrong for the same incident. It just depended on whose screen you watched it from. :boggled:

Haha. Nah mate, I like retirement waayyy too much.

One thing I will mention is that I've had a couple of run-ins with people over the years and when I showed this one guy my replay and he showed me his it turned out we were both in the right and wrong for the same incident. It just depended on whose screen you watched it from. :boggled:

Congrats on retirement! I am in my early forties, but the rat-race has me already looking forward to retirement. lol

Yup, didn't mind the contact at all actually. I was just a bit annoyed by the snarky comment directed at me post-race. It would really be interesting and a great talking point if the other driver can post his version of events showing a bias towards his point of view.

Last edited:
Down to the corner you where nearly running him off the track wide whilst you had plenty of space on the right.

Last edited:

As someone who can handle going two wide through this corner, maybe you should listen. He had a bobble on corner entry because he misjudged his steering, reacted and caised the outside car to be punted off. One can simple look at where the curb is compared to the center line of the Alfa to see the bobble.

You can't be squeezed off the track if you put yourself there in the first place unprovoked.

As someone who can handle going two wide through this corner, maybe you should listen. He had a bobble on corner entry because he misjudged his steering, reacted and caised the outside car to be punted off. One can simple look at where the curb is compared to the center line of the Alfa to see the bobble.

You can't be squeezed off the track if you put yourself there in the first place unprovoked.
Check out the above screenshots. The outside dude came down so low that the other car couldn't possibly stay on the track and avoid contact.

Yeah, I'd classify this more as a racing incident. Not clearly one person's fault but maybe some blame of each. Nothing at all egregious either way.

I can see why you felt bothered by it cause you stuck to the inside pretty well, but perhaps the loss of traction from the grass and/or an overcorrect put you in his path, but he really didn't leave enough room at all.

I also see why he's upset cause he had the racing line and he likely assumed you braked a bit earlier (and you did just a bit) and he had the space to turn in, and when he did the collision completely smacked him off the road despite the actual contact not looking that significant. On his screen it probably looked like you carelessly rammed him.

That said, rather than putting blame on you for the incident, I think sometimes it's wise to just back out when in that position on a super long high speed bend like that cause it's really hard to maintain that inside without contact and your momentum really works against you.

Totally the fault of the driver on the outside. Your car is fully alongside, so you have the right to the racing line, and he just turns in too tightly and hits you.

Check out the above screenshots. The outside dude came down so low that the other car couldn't possibly stay on the track and avoid contact.

Whilst that maybe true at the corner, he was running the guy wide the entire time before, it’s no wonder he came back and sharperly turned in and made contact, he was probably pissed off from nearly being put on the grass.

I can see the screenshots. I see an Alfa Romeo coming back off the curbing far earlier than it should on the racing line and into the Megane. The Megane has to make the corner too, it's not expected to ride the outside edge of the track. Again, this is a corner that the two could make it through, but the Alfa had a bobble.

The Alfa was also already well off track before the Megane "came down".

he was running the guy wide the entire time before, it’s no wonder he came back and sharperly turned in and made contact, he was probably pissed off from nearly being put on the grass.
Completely legal, there was a car's width of space on his left all the time on the approach. If you watch top split races it's normal for people to leave the bare minimum of space on the outside on the approach.

I gave him enough space to the outside to keep all 4 of his tires on the track at ALL times. He was unable to leave me enough space to have 2 wheels on, and my description is pretty generous considering the mid-line of my car is lined up with the curb at the point of contact.

Completely legal, there was a car's width of space on his left all the time on the approach. If you watch top split races it's normal for people to leave the bare minimum of space on the outside on the approach.

He should ran closer to the white line after already being on the grass instead of continuing to steer left pushing him out running down.

Attachments

• 4BD7835F-7D91-4E49-A3F6-1657ABD68FF7.png
    4BD7835F-7D91-4E49-A3F6-1657ABD68FF7.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
He actually dive-bombed me in the turn prior to the start of the video which is why I was outside to the right at the beginning of the video. But that is neither here nor there. I don't see why anyone would have issue with what happened on the straight.

I gave him enough space to the outside to keep all 4 of his tires on the track at ALL times. He was unable to leave me enough space to have 2 wheels on, and my description is pretty generous considering the mid-line of my car is lined up with the curb at the point of contact.

Again, you were already in the grass with two wheels way before he got close to you. You can't fault someone else when you screwwed up your line. And your car's mid line moved away from the curb, which is what caused the contact. The screenshots and a look at the black antenna on the roof shows that. You wouldn't still be on the brakes at corner exit either, so your car moved outward. This is the bobble and attempt to correct, which is what caused the punting instead of a simple sideswipe.

I guarentee if you showed the same replay with the syeering input information available, wed see the bobble.

You asked for opinions.

He actually dive-bombed me in the turn prior to the start of the video which is why I was outside to the right at the beginning of the video. But that is neither here nor there. I don't see why anyone would have issue with what happened on the straight.
Which is why you should of continued to stay right, you where already so far right anyway, you didn’t need to be in the middle running alongside.

Then why are you claiming he pushed you in the grass if now you're saying you went to the grass on purpose?

Back