Is this my fault? Looking for opinions

• Thread starter wtrain77
  • 117 comments
Looks clumsy, but the Megane took the corner as if there wasn't a car on the inside. Your mistake for hitting the grass, but you would have needed a perfect line through there to avoid contact which was initiated by him being too close anyway.

You're good. He came down really low. Obviously you didn't do anything on purpose, there. Just a racing incident. If he sent you a nasty message after that, tell him to suck your 🤬. If he's got a problem with that, give me his name.

LMAO...

The Megane didn't need to pinch the corner so tightly, it's fairly easy to make it through there 2 wide. The outside line has enough grip to allow you to carry a lot of speed, for defending and overtaking.

Yeah that is nothing like what happened in OPs video and still isnt a divebomb. Alesi and Hakkinen both tried to brake super late and completely blew through the braking zone side by side. In my eyes divebombing is lunging to the inside under braking and blocking/stealing the line or apex from the car in front which didnt happen in either video.

Alesi locked up Hakk responded and took the place, he pressured him into the mistake by hunting him the entire lap.

So I'll just add a couple of things for context and hopefully end this discussion as I only made an account because it seemed like the OP was getting more stress from differing opinions, when in reality it was probably 99% my fault anyway.

First off, this is on the US servers but I live in the UK and my only PSN is a US account because I've been buying games way cheaper through the US digital store for like 8 or so years, and I prefer playing with the North Americans seen as I lived in Toronto for a few years... better than my filthy European brethren

Anyway, theres going to be a bit more lag as a result of that and it can be tricky sometimes to place the car exactly where it needs to be and also be fully aware of where a guy is.

I also dont drive in 3rd person, I drive on the hood cam (no idea how people can do 3rd person on this game, it's impossible to me) so I didnt fully know where the guy was because I wasnt on radar, too busy fiddling with brake bias.

That being said, I was one of the front runners, and had an incident with someone in the 1st lap which caused us both to end up way out of position and trying to recover to not lose too many DR points because there were B drivers in the lobby... and I was at that "close to A+ stage where one bad race = like 2K loss.

I got a good run on him going into the corner because IIRC he ran a little bit wide and left enough room for me to get in and get a decent enough drive off the corner, but yeah I'm almost positive I probably drove in assuming he wasnt going to be there because I think I thought I already had the move done and he would back off (because I assumed he recognised I was one of the lead cars out of position and it wasn't worth fighting).

It was my fault, so dont beat yourself up about it... I only made an account to clear that up because it seemed like you took it to heart a little bit or that my **** talk at the end was somehow portraying you as a dirty driver.

The **** talk, definitely dont take that to heart at all... most of the best people I've had on my friend list on PSN we started off probably calling each other *****. Y'know how it is, in the heat of the moment it's easy to vent and then think differently afterwards.

Anyway, hope that helps I'm sure we'll race again m8.

Edit: after reading some comments from this thread I want to make a few things clear:

- I have no issue with being squeezed on the straight, I do it and have it done to me all the time, its imo the only way to defend if you want to try and not lose position.

- this was an S SR lobby with some relatively high DR guys in... I think 3 or 4 A drivers (my DR was close to 50K and back you around 52K now) I think some of the others were as well...
However, it also had a lot of B DR drivers to fill up the lobby, and as i said i ended up out of position trying to get back through the field probably too hastily to not lose too much DR

- I honestly didnt see him on the grass at the corner... because I drive in hood cam, and didnt have radar up at that particular time. So him "cutting the grass" or whatever wasnt even a factor for me.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sense BS, who even made you aware you where being talked about?, unless you browse these forums as a silent ghost.

Based on these Numbers it doesn’t seem that unlikely.

E3B913EA-1FB3-4308-9E50-D040D77B3006.jpeg

So I'll just add a couple of things for context and hopefully end this discussion as I only made an account because ...

Now that you've already signed up here you could as well go on contributing. Welcome here - your posting's been good action 👍 !
Something caught my eye though :

... I think I thought I already had the move done and he would back off (because I assumed he recognised I was one of the lead cars out of position and it wasn't worth fighting). ...

Sounds like faster drivers ( out of position :confused: ) can expect the slower ones to just let them pass ! Do you ? Just asking ...

I sense BS, who even made you aware you where being talked about?, unless you browse these forums as a silent ghost.

I usually just lurk on the forums.

And nobody made me aware... I just immediately spotted the livery that I literally only made for my car the other day

The back of the car literally says "WildFire" in "green energy" font...I know this because I was messing with the vectors and uploaded it.

Now that you've already signed up here you could as well go on contributing. Welcome here - your posting's been good action 👍 !
Something caught my eye though :

Sounds like faster drivers ( out of position :confused: ) can expect the slower ones to just let them pass ! Do you ? Just asking ...

I wouldn't say I expect them to get out of the way, I think sometimes though guys recognise If you were for instance the polesitter and they see you get spun out, and then all of a sudden you're catching them at like 2-3 seconds a lap, sometimes they just let you through to avoid an unnecessary fight.

Not saying I expected it, just that because I'd caught up and thought I had the move done, so in my own head in that moment because I couldn't see his car anymore I assumed he'd hit the brakes and I'd got it done.

Some quality contribution there @WildFireR2.
I myself tend to lurk quite a bit, but I liked what you said there.
Most of the best guys on my friends list are people I had many many spiteful and nasty interactions with for protracted periods of time also lol.
Funny how that happens.

Some quality contribution there @WildFireR2.
I myself tend to lurk quite a bit, but I liked what you said there.
Most of the best guys on my friends list are people I had many many spiteful and nasty interactions with for protracted periods of time also lol.
Funny how that happens.

I don't know if it's more of a Brit/Aus thing tbh, but I've had friends on PSN since 2008 that I trashed when i met, and obviously kept trashing for the next 10 years because thats what being friends is all about, trashing each other :lol:

We're all different, for me I think the trash talk is great. I had someone call me a stupid american **** the other day & I honestly laughed my balls off, mostly because I'm not american but of course they don't know that, & also because it wasn't even me that hit the guy I was sort of there waiting for the two of them to collide.

It's often the most sensible thing for the slower driver to do. If they doggedly defend, it slows both cars down. If the faster car will eventually finish ahead of them anyway, they can usually help their own finishing position the most by not spending that time going slower, and instead taking advantage of the faster driver's slipstream for a short period.

For the record, not sure why you assumed you had faster pace than me as I started P5 and you P6. I am not too shabby a driver myself as I am also an A+ driver.

Regarding the sly remark post-race, it is all good. A source of frustration for me was the fact that you left the message and immediately left the lobby. I tried to reach out to you through the PS messaging system, but I think you are setup to not allow messages and I was unsuccessful. As a result, I was unable to gain understanding as to why you seemingly squarely placed the blame on me.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. I usually don't post too much myself, but lurk and read a lot. There are a lot of knowledgeable and passionate racing enthusiasts here which makes this forum great.

Thanks for taking the time to post your side of the event. That was really big of you. I appreciate your honesty and transparency into your thought process during the race. Until we meet on track again, cheers!

For the record, not sure why you assumed you had faster pace than me as I started P5 and you P6. I am not too shabby a driver myself as I am also an A+ driver.

Regarding the sly remark post-race, it is all good. A source of frustration for me was the fact that you left the message and immediately left the lobby. I tried to reach out to you through the PS messaging system, but I think you are setup to not allow messages and I was unsuccessful. As a result, I was unable to gain understanding as to why you seemingly squarely placed the blame on me.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. I usually don't post too much myself, but lurk and read a lot. There are a lot of knowledgeable and passionate racing enthusiasts here which makes this forum great.

Thanks for taking the time to post your side of the event. That was really big of you. I appreciate your honesty and transparency into your thought process during the race. Until we meet on track again, cheers!

Oh I thought you were the brown lemonade guy? Nvm then, I did too many races at Brands hatch that day to recover lost points from FIA so hard to remember each one, and I rarely save replays.

As for the courage comment, its posting on a forum lol, we're grown men, theres no courage posting on a forum so let's not get too crazy.

What's done is done though, hopefully see you around on the track :)

This is dead easy, imho this corner is an absolute no go two wide unless you are both seriously good. You're both clearly not that good so being behind on entry I would have yielded tonight another day. Was always going to end in tears.

I am the brown lemonade guy. Ironically, that account was created to enjoy Sport Mode stress free and not worry about results.

I started sim racing less than two years ago and found it very challenging. I remember thinking I will probably never win a race. However, I stuck at it and eventually improved by leaps and bounds that when I finally reached A+, I was completely satisfied and stopped racing on my first account. Oddly enough, I did the same exact thing on my second account. My first account was studtran, second is wtrain77.

@NevilleNobody Exactly how do you get the skills to go two wide here? I believe you learn by doing. You might fail and it might be ugly, but nothing is learned from not trying.

@NevilleNobody Exactly how do you get the skills to go two wide here? I believe you learn by doing. You might fail and it might be ugly, but nothing is learned from not trying.
Theres nothing to learn other tha car control, which neither if you have to a high degree. Neither do I tbh as I use the ds4 and tap,tap,tap my way through corners so i dont keep a clean arc.

Brands is a very slippery track, in my experience passing is damn near impossible unless guy ahead messes up. You need to be proper good to race clean at brands.

Yeah that is nothing like what happened in OPs video and still isnt a divebomb. Alesi and Hakkinen both tried to brake super late and completely blew through the braking zone side by side. In my eyes divebombing is lunging to the inside under braking and blocking/stealing the line or apex from the car in front which didnt happen in either video.
Divebombs aren’t always block passes, and block passes aren’t always divebombs.

In motorcycle racing, block passing is completely legal, and is used all the time. In car racing, it’s legal, but somewhat frowned on for some reason in many categories. Block passing is most effective in corners that have multiple fast lines, and corners that have very wide entries with late turn-in points. I suppose this is why it’s more common in bike racing, as those kind of corners are far more common. Car racing is typically one line only.

Divebombing is usually when you try to out brake someone from very far back - so far back that you can’t make the corner without using the other car as a stopping device.

Theres nothing to learn other tha car control, which neither if you have to a high degree.

Up to the contact, they were both in full control of theirs cars...until GTS's unique collision physics too over.:rolleyes:

Their choice of line leading up to the incident and relaxing their race craft for a corner are the only contentious issues here.

Up to the contact, they were both in full control of theirs cars...until GTS's unique collision physics too over.:rolleyes:

Their choice of line leading up to the incident and relaxing their race craft for a corner are the only contentious issues here.

Gotta love how he can trash two A+ rated players over one isolated incident and apply a broad sweeping statement about their "lack of car control" and lack of skill apparently too.

Unless hes comparing us to the elite wheel users (I'm on controller).

Either way, had to laugh at that sly diss... good luck with FIA today everyone.

The whole problem with Sport Mode is that many people think if they are faster they can overtake anywhere on track. One good example is overtaking at the bus stop chicane at Dragon Trail, the only time it's a good idea to overtake there is if the other car is not moving regardless of speed differential. They also tend to forget that they need to slow down more than usual when going 2 abreast thru a corner.

The whole problem with Sport Mode is that many people think if they are faster they can overtake anywhere on track. One good example is overtaking at the bus stop chicane at Dragon Trail, the only time it's a good idea to overtake there is if the other car is not moving regardless of speed differential. They also tend to forget that they need to slow down more than usual when going 2 abreast thru a corner.

What if you accidentally lock the brakes and over run though and end up taking the position, should you give the position back?
I did that at the twisty section just before left corner with the tyre wall in Nurburgring an overtook two people.
I didn’t hit anybody but I got an advantage going over the grass and not having to reduce speed to navigate the the circuit.

What if you accidentally lock the brakes and over run though and end up taking the position, should you give the position back?
I did that at the twisty section just before left corner with the tyre wall in Nurburgring an overtook two people.
I didn’t hit anybody but I got an advantage going over the grass and not having to reduce speed to navigate the the circuit.

What does your example have to do with people choosing poor places to pass and not slowing down enough when side by side to prevent a bump pass????

What does your example have to do with people choosing poor places to pass and not slowing down enough when side by side to prevent a bump pass????

Why does it have to be a bump pass?
You don’t feel it’s still unsporting to do as I said above and run away with the lead?

Back