Jaguar X-Type replacement in 2015?

• Thread starter paulmac2k9
  • 80 comments
I'm tremendously amused by CarThrottle doing all it can to make the "542hp XE-RS" happen. Only they're missing a kinda vital piece of information...

Hm, this is quite a good looking car. My favourite looking new Jaguar for a good few years now.

It totally has a lower end feel, especially the generic interior. It doesn't seem premium at all.... in the pursuit for something to sit below the XF they have aimed too low with the whole package IMO. It's like a mid to high end Ford or something.

The rear is seriously embarrassing, it's totally an A5, if it was a Chinese car they would be sued.

Last edited:
Jaguar are selling more and more cars to the US. Don't see any reason why this one would be any different. The Chinese market is probably the most important one for them right now.
And in the Chinese market it'll sell as long as it's a Jaguar (and therefore 'British') and has a long-wheelbase version with plenty of legroom.

It looks nice but rear not so much, I mostly don't like the taillights.

Render of the XER-S

Jaguar-XER-S-1.jpg

Jaguar-XER-S-2.jpg

I actually love the rear of this, looks similar to a Audi A5 to me (mainly the lights), also that render is awesome!

Looks good to me. Really happy to hear that it's a good one. The tails don't bother me that much, as shocking as they were initially. I still wish they would take off an inch or two from the middle-out.

I would prefer if it looked like a Next Generation Jaguar and not a near identical styled XF.

It's classic style. Still not sure about the tail lights, but I don't think it'll look dated in 20 years.

How much smaller is the XE compared to the XF? It seems a tad bit stubbier.

The XE is around the size bracket of the 3-Series/A4/C-Class crowd. The XF is around 5-Series/A6/E-Class size.

It's one of the blandest shapes launched in the last five years. When on smaller wheels, which many are from what I've seen, it's as nondescript as white goods.

So now that the XE is coming stateside...

Do you go with an XE or buy a used XFR? Same price. You can get the 6-speed XFR for the price of the base model XE, or the newer 8-speed for the price of an R-sport XE S.

So now that the XE is coming stateside...

Do you go with an XE or buy a used XFR? Same price. You can get the 6-speed XFR for the price of the base model XE, or the newer 8-speed for the price of an R-sport XE S.

Probably the used XFR since it's bigger than the XE.

What's the cost of ownership like post-TATA? Anyone know whether they still break expensively?

Not heard anything particularly negative about reliability.

In the UK, Jags are now over priced - model for model, they list above the equivalent BMW/Merc/Audi, and when you roll in dealer discounts they are significantly higher... for me, they don't justify the price premium.

Certain Jags might start becoming cheaper because JLR are opening a factory in Nitra, Slovakia in September. It's about 60 mins from where I live. We have an influx of 50 British families of the transferred management moving to Bratislava. There was a chap in the bar on Saturday who is going to be moving here; he wouldn't disclose exactly what they will be building there but I reckon it might be the F-Pace even though that is supposed to be built in Solihull.

I sat in a base-model XE on Sunday. Does the up-level Jag have different seats? Because these were just awful. Hard and plasticky-feeling. It's amazing-- I distinctly remember the premium Jag from last year having the most comfortable seats and that the cabin felt great. This year in the base model was just disappointing.

Back