• Thread starter paulmac2k9
  • 80 comments

paulmac2k9

Pirtek 2013 Champions!
Premium
Scotland
Inverness, Scotland
GTP_PaulMac/paulmac2k9
While randomly looking through new car photos etc, I stumbled opon this photo..

jaguar-front-wheel-drive-baby-saloon_zps17203238.jpg

On looking at the page I followed from it, it seems to be the new X-Type set to rival the A3 and Mercedes A class. (CLC quoted as but now we know its a CLA)

Jaguar engineers are working on an all-new front-drive baby saloon that will spearhead sales in India and China, as well becoming one of the company’s leading new models in the all-important US market. It should be launched by 2015 and is likely to built in the UK and India.

According to sources in India, the new model is thought to be about 4.5 metres long and will be powered by Jaguar Land Rover’s all-new three-cylinder, 1.5-litre engine and four-cylinder, 1.8 and 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol and diesels. Sophisticated new-generation eight and nine-speed automatic gearboxes are also thought to be on the menu.

The car’s closest conceptual rivals in the showroom are expected to be the upcoming Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLC small saloons, both of which have been previewed as concepts.

The baby Jaguar, however, won’t be a budget model. Some estimates say it will cost from £22,000.There will be a number of variations on the mainstay four-door, including a coupé and possibly a small roadster, but there’s no news on whether Jaguar will build a hatchback rival for the future Mercedes A-class. However, the British company has already created a hatchback concept called the RD-6 back in 2003.

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/jaguars-crucial-baby-saloon

Couldn't find a thread for it so I hope this hasn't been posted before.. It does look similar in the front to the new F-Type but I'm hoping that's just a coincidence.

It's a photoshop mashup of several current Jags. I've no doubt the real thing will be a bit more elegant.

Don't think it's been posted before, but since it's here, I'm quite looking forward to a 3-series sized Jag (again). I never minded the X-Type (they're damned good value nowadays too) but it was never quite up to the standards of the 3-Series or C-Class. Given Jag's recent form, with the XF, XJ etc, a new model could well be a match. I'm a huge fan of the XF, but personally it's a bit to big and heavy for me - 1900kg or thereabouts seems pretty lardy when the XJ barely weighs any more.

As for the "front drive" aspect it's not particularly important in this class - though at the same time, I've heard other rumours suggesting it'd be RWD, since FWD didn't go down brilliantly last time.

On the issue of the XF weight, for it's class I don't think it's too far from the 5 series/E Class/A6 weight, it's just that the XJ is really light for it's class as it's made from Aluminium (Aluminum :P).

On the issue of the XF weight, for it's class I don't think it's too far from the 5 series/E Class/A6 weight, it's just that the XJ is really light for it's class as it's made from Aluminium (Aluminum :P).

Yeah, you're right. It's just that in my head, cars in that class should be at least 100-200kg lighter than they actually are. They're already amazingly quick and efficient, so it makes you wonder what they could do on a bit of a diet...

An E28 weighs between 1300-1400kg depending on engines, options etc. :embarrassed:

Thanks Hfs I'd hoped you could shed some light on it, being a car journalist. :)

I look forward to seeing more though, these small saloons are allways my favorite :D.

An E28 weighs between 1300-1400kg depending on engines, options etc. :embarrassed:

Exactly. Don't modern cars just seem wrong at those sort of weights? I bet an 80s Range Rover isn't even more than about 1700-1800kg (Edit: I stand corrected. But c'mon, that's still barely more than those saloons...)

9-speed automatic? For real?

No reason why not. I've driven some of the current 7s (Mercs, BMWs) and 8s (current Jags) and they seem to work great. You'd not know they were changing if you didn't see the tacho change by tiny amounts, yet they're pretty good on fuel too.

More gears, in theory, are better. Better and smoother accel.

Anyway, the Jag better look better than that Photoshop mash job. :P

I don't get it. Where was the reveal? Was this front shot all we were getting at Geneva?
Yeah, that's all that's been released for now.

I visited JLR's Gaydon test facility today and in one engineer's presentation there were interior and rear light photos of what I can only assume was the XE. I couldn't take a photo of it myself, but I can tell you that it had a 6 speed manual, and the centre console was dominated by a touchscreen. There was an aluminium trip strip that started on the doors and went up and around the top of the dashboard, like the XJ's wood trim, but less fancy. The central air vents reminded me of a Honda Jazz. The tail lamp was sort of like a simplified version of the F-Type's.

Yeah, that's all that's been released for now.

I visited JLR's Gaydon test facility today and in one engineer's presentation there were interior and rear light photos of what I can only assume was the XE. I couldn't take a photo of it myself, but I can tell you that it had a 6 speed manual, and the centre console was dominated by a touchscreen. There was an aluminium trip strip that started on the doors and went up and around the top of the dashboard, like the XJ's wood trim, but less fancy. The central air vents reminded me of a Honda Jazz. The tail lamp was sort of like a simplified version of the F-Type's.

Interesting to hear that you were at Gaydon, that is the site I predominantly work at. If I had known, I could have said hello. Were you there as part of your Automotive Degree, or on a personal tour?

The prototype of this vehicle looks good, it appears to be much smaller than the XF yet it isn't really. I think its a good move from Jaguar to step into the smaller car territory. It's also that little step closer to me being able to own one. ;)

Interesting to hear that you were at Gaydon, that is the site I predominantly work at. If I had known, I could have said hello. Were you there as part of your Automotive Degree, or on a personal tour?

The prototype of this vehicle looks good, it appears to be much smaller than the XF yet it isn't really. I think its a good move from Jaguar to step into the smaller car territory. It's also that little step closer to me being able to own one. ;)
I was there with the mechanical engineering society. I should have posted something, it would have been cool to meet you. I caught a glimpse of a camoed XE and it didn't look bad, but I just hope the C pillar is a bit more coupe-like than what I thought I saw.

What do you do for JLR?

I caught a glimpse of a camoed XE and it didn't look bad, but I just hope the C pillar is a bit more coupe-like than what I thought I saw.

What do you do for JLR?

I work as an engineer within the design team for up and coming models (XE included). In broad terms my role focuses around technical functionality rather than aesthetics but maintaining the aesthetics as the designers intended is a critical part of my job, as is meeting the ever increasing quality requirements. I work on everything from electrical, to engines to glass fitting, the scope of the role is wide, which means I get to see a lot of areas at least. It's certainly quite a fun if challenging job.

As for the camoed XE's as I am sure you are aware, there is only so much you can read into a vehicle who's design is being intentionally disguised, but uncamoed it does look good.

I work as an engineer within the design team for up and coming models (XE included). In broad terms my role focuses around technical functionality rather than aesthetics but maintaining the aesthetics as the designers intended is a critical part of my job, as is meeting the ever increasing quality requirements. I work on everything from electrical, to engines to glass fitting, the scope of the role is wide, which means I get to see a lot of areas at least. It's certainly quite a fun if challenging job.

As for the camoed XE's as I am sure you are aware, there is only so much you can read into a vehicle who's design is being intentionally disguised, but uncamoed it does look good.
Very cool. Sounds like something I'd love to do when I graduate. I don't doubt the XE looks great uncamoed, it is a Jag, after all.

Here's a question:

Jaguar XE-R? (And maybe even an XE-RS?)

And if there will be such a thing, will it use the V8 or the supercharged V6?

XE or E190... Jag uses "E" and any American who cares knows what it means.

I say bring it, I'd love to see Jaguar change its rep in the US. Believe it or not but there was a time where Americans thought "you've got to own two so you can drive one while the other is in the shop."
These days cars like the F-type (and that's the only one) are so pretty I'd love to see Jaguar gain some ground in the American market.

Between now and then I'll just sit back and watch for occasional eye candy.

I say bring it, I'd love to see Jaguar change its rep in the US. Believe it or not but there was a time where Americans thought "you've got to own two so you can drive one while the other is in the shop."
Funny you say that, my dad's friend at one time owned a Jaguar Mark II. It was so unreliable that he bought a Daimler 420 (same car) for parts, and the parts car was in better shape than the one he'd been driving, so he drove that. And used the Mark II for parts. So there's quite a lot of truth in that statement.

Here's a question:

Jaguar XE-R? (And maybe even an XE-RS?)

And if there will be such a thing, will it use the V8 or the supercharged V6?

Probably the V6. The V8 would struggle to fit and would be too heavy.

If the supercharged V6 in the XE becomes the foundation for a possible XE-R, it'll be in a difficult position against the new M3 due to the power disadvantage if they use the full-fat 375hp version of that engine.

Suspect Jag won't really position it there anyway - their cars have often been a little down on power next to the Germans, but they tend to be a little more understated.

Apart from the ones they've been painting bright blue recently, of course...

It was the 'classical styles' that held Jag back, they couldn't compete with the Germans because they just looked like they should he driven by old men.

I think Jaguar is loosing its personality. I loved the classical styles!!

More of a change in personality than a loss. Modern Jag's still have more than enough of it to give them an edge over their main rivals in terms of character. Only now they don't look like they're trying to cling onto 50 year old styling cues, plus the XK never had that problem anyway.

I also think modernising the last generation of Jaguar cars as opposed to completely new design direction would have resulted in far more ostentatious lumps than what we currently have. One can only imagine what they would have done with the S-Type by now if they didn't bring their executive saloon fleet firmly into the century with the XF.

All that's missing now is the compact exec replacement for the X-Type. A role which the XE will fill next year, and the prospect of a SC V6 XE-R is something that will interest many of us.

That's a lot of camo. Interesting how they added a bulge onto the roofline to try and disguise the very sleek, coupelike styling. The basic shape actually reminds me of a 7/8s scale Tesla Model S, am I mad?

Back