Japanese MusicMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 48 comments
  • 6,118 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
Hi, GT Planet.

Believe it or not, this is my debut to the Music category. So I'm starting with a style of music I been into for about two years.

I don't speak the language, don't know a word of it, but there is something about Japanese music that is catchy and cool. Songs range from totally weird stuff like Morning Musume, funky cool music like Skoop on Somebody (one of my favorite male groups other than The Gospellers or Chemistry), and then there is your musical bad girl like Namie Amuro. There are also some songs that sound more American pop than Japanese. An example includes some of Utada Hikaru's music (even though she was born in New York City). Want to talk about Japanese music in my debut to Music? I'll start.

Here is my FAVORITES list:


Singer
(male) Ken Hirai and Tatsuro Yama****a (I think that's his last name)
(female) Misia, Aya Matsuura, (sometimes) Shimatomi Hitomi, Aiko

Singers
(male) Chemistry, Skoop on Somebody, Exile, the Gospellers, and L'arc en Ciel
(female) SPEED, sometimes Morning Musume
(both) m-Flo

Songs
(male, single) [none I can recall]
(male, group) "My Gift to You," from Chemistry and "Two of a Kind," Skoop on Somebody with Chemistry
(female, single) "Everything" and "Into the Light" by Misia, "The Lonely Moon (Tsuki no Tradegy)" by -unknown-, "LOVE Namida iro," from Aya Matsuura, "Kimochi," from Every Little Thing (the lead singer is female)
(female, group) "Night of Tokyo City," by Morning Musume
(male/female group) "Come Again!," by m-flo

Well, join the JPOP thread!
 
I rarely ever listen to the stuff, but the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack is REALLY amazing. I think the entire album was composed by Yoko Kanno.
 
I've listened to a couple of Japanese songs before, they're kinda nice. My friend is a huge fan of Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada Hikaru.

I got my first taste of Jpop/Japanese songs when I started watching animes - especially Samurai X (also known as Rurouri Kenshin). L'arc en Ciel, T.M Revolution and Siam Shade are some of the bands that I've listened too. Pretty neat stuff. 👍
 
Yoko Kanno also did some of the Macross Plus music as well. Very talented lady. And in the scene, I'd have to say that the hardest working lady in all of Anime has to be Hayashibara Megumi (say the last name first when dealing with Japan). She's balanced (by the way, she's also in the "Cowboy Bebop" movie) Anime and music. I don't know all of what she's done, but she's maybe 36 years old, one of the sweetest voices in Japanese music even today. Talk about "across the board..."
 
I like Ken Hirai singing "Comeback". I kinda like Korean pop a little better. Some that come to mind are "I swear" by S, "Step to the new world" by some group, "Without you" by 1TYM...
 
I once saw a JPOP music video. The song was called "Sugar Water." It was trippy. I then thought that JPOP was a little to "out there" for me.
 
Soul Flower Mononoke Summit is the only Japanese artist I ever listen to.

My favorite song is Fukko Bushi (•œ‹»ß [use shift jis])
By the way anyone know where I can find the lyrics?
 
I usually listen to the local college radio station, and every Thirsday morning the DJ plays Jpop stuff for a few hours. In the interest of broadening my horizons I usually listen to it. Unfortunately the vast majority of it sounds like the crap I hear at my dentist's office, except you can't understand the words. I'm sure that there are all styles of music made in Japan, but sappy pop music is sappy pop music regardless of the language in which its sung. I guess I never subscribed to the "foreign stuff is better because it's different" theory.
 
RIZE
I can never get tired of them, just waiting for a new release, they may have died I'm not sure.
 
Foreign is better when you can't understand it. I'm glad I don't know Japanese, it'd ruin the music segment for me if I could.
 
Most of my J-music experience is via anime, and the better examples of those are from Noir, .hack//sign (whatever its name), Vampire Princess Miyu, and the like.
 
I've been a long time fan of Ayumi and Hikaru (since their respective first albums), but I haven't been keeping up on J-pop currently.

I also like Lisa from m-flo (but not m-flo as a group), Do As Infinity. But the stuff I really love is the J-pop from the 80s. That style permiated anime when I first got into it years ago.
 
You mean like from Bubble Crash?
 
I could vomit over the majority of jpop artists, they are all real crap. and Im saying it having listened to many of them for quite a while. some other music, however, is very worthy. anime music aside (wich, yeah, I listen to, a lot), all those boy bands in japan, ie, larc en ciel, are a complete bull. there are some that are pretty decent. Id recommend Malice mizer (yeah, they look weird but some of their music is good) siam shade, and other stuff. in the rock side of things, you cant go wrong with the pillows. I´ll never get tired of recommend them, they are an amazingly good band. some other bands that are good are cruyff in the bedroom, sider, and condor 44. all of this in teh grungey-punky sound. check them out, I tell you. there are also loads of electronic music being developed in japan. look for maikyo, fantastic plastic machine of course, and Nobukazu takemura. those will do. I reccomend them vastly. and stop the jpop. it sucks.

Cano
 
I downloaded some The Pillows, I haven't had a chance to give them a proper listen though. I've read about various Japanese metal bands, but they are neigh impossible to download or source in the uk. Well apart from Mad Capsule markets, but I don't realy like them.
 
Originally posted by Race Idiot
I downloaded some The Pillows, I haven't had a chance to give them a proper listen though. I've read about various Japanese metal bands, but they are neigh impossible to download or source in the uk. Well apart from Mad Capsule markets, but I don't realy like them.

well, the pillows is a very-easy-to-find band mainly because it has participated in the sondtrack of FLCL. beware because FLCLs soundtrack is voiceless, its just the music. try to get all the songs with lyrics. get the bigger ones you see at where you are downloading them. My personal reccomendations on them would be these songs:
-beautiful morning with you
-Ride on shooting star
-last dinosaur
-blues drive monster
-black sheep
-hybrid rainbow
-little busters
-sad sad kiddie
-carnival
-stalker
-advice
-kim deal
-white ash
-paper triangle
-come down
-sleepy head
-bran-new love song (very cool)
-I think I can

there are tons more, as these dudes have a working addcition or something. they release almost two albums a year!! :odd:
get those. all of them have lyrics. if you have some of those and dont have lyrics, look for them. they are way better.
 
Originally posted by Cano
well, the pillows is a very-easy-to-find band mainly because it has participated in the sondtrack of FLCL. beware because FLCLs soundtrack is voiceless, its just the music. try to get all the songs with lyrics. get the bigger ones you see at where you are downloading them. My personal reccomendations on them would be these songs:
-beautiful morning with you
-Ride on shooting star
-last dinosaur
-blues drive monster
-black sheep
-hybrid rainbow
-little busters
-sad sad kiddie
-carnival
-stalker
-advice
-kim deal
-white ash
-paper triangle
-come down
-sleepy head
-bran-new love song (very cool)
-I think I can

there are tons more, as these dudes have a working addcition or something. they release almost two albums a year!! :odd:
get those. all of them have lyrics. if you have some of those and dont have lyrics, look for them. they are way better.

I think I have the majority of those tracks, I think they were from an album called Happy Bivouac? I think, I just haven't had the time to give them a listen. I bought 10 CD's over the last few weeks and two of them are Dreamtheater ones, so I have a fair bit to listen to at the moment.
 
yeah, some of them are off happy bivouac. the ones you dont have, get. (:
 
What do you think of T.M. Revolution, or whatever they're called now? I know they did the theme song to Kenshin.
 
johnmb you have very good taste as to i am into some of the song sthat you have listed,

here goes some of my favorite groups as of right now

japanese hip hop

-twigy
-kick the can crew
-ozrosaurus

some others that i have liked for a long time are as follow

popish/animé type songs/alternative rock

tamaki nami
rina aiuchi
m-flo
MANMI
CHARCOAL FILTER
Misia
Olivia Lufkin
Mr. Children
Nanase Aikawa

i have alot of favorite japanese artists too many to name ;)

do any of you guys like the music im into?? or the people?
 
Originally posted by Talentless
What do you think of T.M. Revolution, or whatever they're called now? I know they did the theme song to Kenshin.

are you talking of invoke??
 
The only Japanese band I've ever heard that didn't sound like absolute garbage has been Shonen Knife.
 
Ever heard their cover of the Carpenters' hit On Top Of The World?

Pizzacato Five weren't bad in a Lounge sort of way, back when Lounge was cool about 5 years ago.

There used to be a Japanese hair metal band from the '80s called Loudness (think Loverboy meets the Scorpions, but with that special Asian WTF?! factor) who chained themselves to their instruments. They kind of rocked, actually.
 
Loudness was pretty good. I can't remember any song titles, but they had some chops.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Ever heard their cover of the Carpenters' hit On Top Of The World?

Pizzacato Five weren't bad in a Lounge sort of way, back when Lounge was cool about 5 years ago.

There used to be a Japanese hair metal band from the '80s called Loudness (think Loverboy meets the Scorpions, but with that special Asian WTF?! factor) who chained themselves to their instruments. They kind of rocked, actually.

aah, pizzicato 5 are still cool. they dont die. their music gets me back to a good mood, at least for a while. as for Loudness, yes, they rocked. and they were older, like for... 10 years. their roots call back to the early 70s. They even covered led zeppelin a number of times. it sounded very good.

Cano

and klos, Shonen knife are... well.... bleah? have you given the pillows a listen?
 
True, but it's becoming as the N word has among some segments of society, devoid of its meaning except when used by certain people, and in certain context. And "Japanese' is an easily recognizable form of abbreviation for Japanese.

I don't use the term.
 
I hear that word all the time in the Chat. Some don't realize it's racist, but it really is.

Anyhow, there was a song called "Fly Me To the Moon" done by Utada Hikaru. The significance? It's about the only Japanese song I've heard that's in all English. And it's a pretty good song at that. Exile, Chemistry, and Skoop on Somebody are three good male vocal groups. Some think they are the boybands of Japan, but they have vocal talent, especially Chemistry and Skoop on Somebody. The Gospellers made a song called "Forgive Me," and it the vocals sound pretty close to American R & B of today.

If you visit Japan-a-Radio , you can listen to Japanese music 24/7. I listened to it before, and I'm not going to comment because I don't want to risk having this thread locked. So, check it out and see for yourself. I recommend you get WinAmp to listen to the music.
 
Back