Jarhead

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 81 comments
  • 3,034 views

Blackbird.

Premium
Messages
9,347
United States
Bay Area
Messages
BlackbirdGTP
Messages
Blackbird5150
http://www.jarheadmovie.com/

I don't know why I like modern warfare movies but I do and I really want to go see this. Looking at the trailer it looks very powerful and action packed as well. Almost looks like a replica of Over There but in movie form. Anyone else think they are going to go see this?
 
Sure. With that director and cast, it pretty much has to be great. Looking forward to it.
 
Though with each movie he stars in I hate Jake Howeveryouspellhislastname more and more, this one looks pretty good. I hope it's as good as Three Kings, which in my opinion was one of the best war movies ever made, right up there with Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.
 
Anderton Prime
Though with each movie he stars in I hate Jake Howeveryouspellhislastname

Donnie Darko!





And Bubble Boy! Okay, maybe not that one.
 
He was good in Donnie Darko but I don't think he's done much in any other films which is a pity cos I think he's capable of doing well, he just needs to pick his movies better. I've jst watched the two trailers for this and it looks promising, one I'll probably watch.
 
Jake was great in "The Good Girl", an excellent little dark comedy.
 
I don't think I've seen that, I'd probably remember if I had.
 
Definitely worth a DVD rental. Jennifer Aniston stars. Very funny look at life in a dreary little small town.
 
Something is wrong with this movie. When I watched the trailer, something seemed to be over glorified, as if the writer was trying to make a fairy tale out of a 96-hour war. If this movie is going to be compared to other ridiculous movies such as Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, then this movie will be a complete joke.

👎
 
Viper Zero
Something is wrong with this movie. When I watched the trailer, something seemed to be over glorified, as if the writer was trying to make a fairy tale out of a 96-hour war. If this movie is going to be compared to other ridiculous movies such as Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, then this movie will be a complete joke.

👎

War movies will always be made to try to convince people that war sucks, if that's what you mean. Some probably do make war movies as a tribute, but at the same time they still recreate horrifying scenes. Even Enemy at the Gates, which retells the story of a famed Russian sniper in WW2, showed sickening scenes. Although it may be possible that these scenes are overdone quite a bit, maybe war actually does involve fun and games.
 
What horrifying scenes?

This guy reports to duty drunk, walks around with a gas mask, and talks about some sort of sex tape he saw.

If you are going to film a war movie, make sure it includes war.
 
Viper Zero
...If you are going to film a war movie, make sure it includes war.

But the film has to be about a "war" to include scenes of war. Desert Storm hardly qualifies. For example, coalition forces had 3,360 tanks on hand, and lost a grand total of four of them. Iraq had 4,230 tanks on hand, and lost over 4,000 of them.

Most coalition casualties were from accidents, not combat. You can't make a "traditional" war movie about Desert Storm. Most of the scenes would be shots of Iraqi soldiers surrendering en masse.
 
And who said a movie about a war has to have any fighting or "war" scenes in it? Are you privy to some set of war movie rules the rest of us don't have access to Viper Zero?

On top of that, who said Jarhead is a war movie at all?
 
Viper Zero
What horrifying scenes?

This guy reports to duty drunk, walks around with a gas mask, and talks about some sort of sex tape he saw.

If you are going to film a war movie, make sure it includes war.

Oh, okay. I was a bit confused by what you meant in your post. I understand now.
 
Anderton Prime
On top of that, who said Jarhead is a war movie at all?
Because it is a war movie.
 
Why? Originally, I said Three Kings was a great war movie, but now I'm not so sure. It's about something entirely different from war, set against a backdrop of war. I don't consider it to be a movie about the Gulf War at all. The same goes for Apocalypse Now, which is based on a novel that has absolutely nothing to do with war at all. Until I see Jarhead, I won't be able to say if it is one or not.
 
Because it's about the WAR in Iraq.
 
Wargames was about the Cold War. But there was no fighting in it at all. :sly: ;) :lol:
 
Grand Prix
Wargames was about the Cold War. But there was no fighting in it at all. :sly: ;) :lol:

Probably because there was no official "fighting" in the Cold War itself, hence the name "Cold" War.
 
Anderton Prime
Probably because there was no official "fighting" in the Cold War itself, hence the name "Cold" War.

Yups.
 
I figured you were being clever, sorry if my post came across as patronizing.
 
Anderton Prime
I figured you were being clever, sorry if my post came across as patronizing.

No problem, these things happen on the internet, seeing as there is a lack of voice tones in posts.
 
This is a war movie, as said so by the film's website.

"an irreverent and true account of a war that was antiseptically packaged a decade ago..."

The directors even go on to say they were inspired by Vietnam-era war films. What a pitiful excuse for a war movie. Hollywood wonders why no one goes to the theaters anymore.
 
I still don't understand how you can say ANYTHING about this movie without even having seen it. There's a word for that, and it's spelled P-R-E-J-U-D-I-C-E.

P.S. I still go to the movies, Hollywood. I liked Star Wars Episode III, I loved the Matrix Trilogy, and I can't wait for Rocky VI.
 
The movie is about Desert Storm? Wow it is going to suck because it wasn't even a war. The USA bombed the hell out of Iraq with Nighthawks, then we blew the crap outta the ground forces with the M1's. Plus isn't Jamie Foxx in the movie? Also just because they use Kayne West in the trailer I'm not going to see it. The Marine Corps should be ashamed that a movie was made about them this way.
 
Sam freaking ****. It was American against Saddamn Insane.
 
Yeah, most of Desert Storm was about the air war that brought Saddam's military to it's knees within days. The war passed over Swofford and he saw little action.

I still don't know why they chose Jesus Walks by Kanye West. It doesn't make much sense with the movie, unless Jesus is a leatherneck with a M240G. As with Hollywood, Kanye West's career is over.

Anderton, you might want to check out the novel before accusing me of prejudice. I, for one, know what I am talking about.
 
You're still judging a MOVIE before it comes out. I don't care what novel it's being adapted from, it's a seperate entity from the book and you have to SEE a movie before you PASS JUDGMENT on it.

Also, everyone needs to relax and realize that just because a song is used in a trailer doesn't mean it's relevant to the movie at all. It could just be to get the attention of young viewers who wouldn't normally go see the movie, or any other number of reasons.
 
The movie is still going to suck, just like 90% of war movies. And think about the last Desert Storm movie...Three Kings. That movie was just aweful!
 
Back