Jarhead

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 81 comments
  • 3,034 views
s0nny80y
viper 0, do you have any record of service in any war?

Nope.

But, I have read the novel the movie is based on. I can tell you that "Jarhead" is not a pretty name for a US Marine. All you have to do is read the Amazon reviews and user comments on military blogs from Marines to tell you that they do not like this novel.

Have you read the novel, sonyboy? Maybe you should go down to your local library instead of posting crap here.
 
His problem, sonnyBoy, is that he does not believe you can have a war movie with a pessimistic, criticizing, or otherwise negative view of the U.S. Military.
 
"Jarhead is the 'Seinfeld' of the holiday movie season… a movie about nothing. As you can see in the trailer, there are moments of visual power and intensity. But the film is most certainly not political. It's not really a comedy. And it's not even particularly anti-war. It thinks, I guess, that it's a coming of age movie."


The whole review
 
No its Hollywoodized. Like every other war movie. Trust me on this one. It may not be anti-war, but it by no means is a true account of war. It's meant to be entertaining.
 
Anderton Prime
His problem, sonnyBoy, is that he does not believe you can have a war movie with a pessimistic, criticizing, or otherwise negative view of the U.S. Military.

I'll take the word of a United States Marine over anything that comes out of your mouth, Anderton. They don't like this movie, they didn't like the novel, and in their eyes, this guy should have been set in front of an A-10's GAU-8/A 30mm and let the gunner have a field day.

Like Blazin' said, it's just some little piece of ****'s opinion of a war that lasted 90 hours, which is not much to speak for, definitely not for a movie.
 
Hey about Jarhead, whats the music during the previews of the movie ???
 
It is Jesus Walks by Kanye West.

Basically, Kanye thinks he is Jesus. It is just more incoherent mainstream rap trash.
 
All he asked for was the name of a song, not your opinion of the rapper who performs it and of mainstream rap in general.
 
Viper Zero
They don't like this movie, they didn't like the novel, and in their eyes, this guy should have been set in front of an A-10's GAU-8/A 30mm and let the gunner have a field day.
And you wonder why many Europeans think Americans are gung ho cowboys.
 
Your point would be... what?

If you want to go see this trash movie, go right ahead. You will put more money into the movie industry's pockets.
 
I'll decide myself if it's good or not, I won't let anyone else dictate to me whats crap and whats not, if that persons a marine or not, I don't give a crap. I've seen plenty of movies that have been panned before that have turned out to be decent. If this was a film that glorified America I bet you wouldn't have any issues with it.
 
From The Los Angeles Times:

"What keeps a well-made film from achieving greatness? How does a motion picture with impressive parts end up a less than compelling whole? When the film is as strong in its elements as "Jarhead," no single factor is strong enough to do the fatal damage. Rather, an intricate web of interlocking reasons undermines the structure from within without anyone noticing what is happening....

"...Against all expectation, however, the effect of all this excellence is negligible to nonexistent. As much as we intellectually admire "Jarhead," it's a cold film that only sporadically makes the kind of emotional connection it's after. Problems inherent in taking this particular book to the screen proved impossible to surmount."


Recurring theme in the reviews: It just didn't work out.
 
Maybe, but tastes may be different there and here. I'll wait and see how the actings rated and then see what I'll do, just like I'd do with most movies.
 
Viper Zero
It is Jesus Walks by Kanye West.

Basically, Kanye thinks he is Jesus. It is just more incoherent mainstream rap trash.

Thanks d0000d... I'm gonna buy the song right away.
 
I still don't understand why they made reviews for people. Because people like certain movies and maybe the reviewers are the exact opposite of what you like. :dunce:

I'm not sure when i'm going to see it, maybe today or tomorrow or never? Never know.
 
Saw it earlier this evening. I thought it was very good IMO.

Problems were:

1. DEFINITLY not enough action
2. Too much stressing on the masturbation and sex...

Best part: (highlight it if you want to see, i'll give you a choice if you want a spoiler or not)

>>When the A-10s swoop right above them and their vulcan cannons fire, but it was friendly and it blew up two of their humvees... Friendly Fire.<<
 
DJ-CiviC
Thanks d0000d... I'm gonna buy the song right away.

Haha, you're cool! Kanye is a douche, but he makes good music.




(Most people I know act like he's a terrorist now)
 
I saw this movie over the weekend and i'm not one to judge the accuracy of the film (or book behind it) but a friend of mine who recently served in Iraq as a marine advised a friend of mine to watch the movie to catch a glimpse of the kinda people who join the marines and who are disillusioned before making the decision to enlist as a marine.

See, the problem is that this movie is promoted to be a war movie although it would be unintentionaly seen as a war movie no matter how they would approach the promotion of this film. I had friends of mine who blabbered that there wasn't even a gun fight which is understandable considering the setting is operation desert storm.
Enjoy it as a drama. Not an action movie. The intense scenes in the oil fields and the *SPOILER* point of intensity to pull the trigger when the commander was in the cross hairs was cool.
 
I watched it last weekend, I thought it was good . I went with my cousin (ex-marine) He also liked it. He said it was pretty darn close to what he was dealing with. Im sure there alot of marines that could identify with most of the situations.
 
vr6gti72
I watched it last weekend, I thought it was good . I went with my cousin (ex-marine) He also liked it. He said it was pretty darn close to what he was dealing with. Im sure there alot of marines that could identify with most of the situations.

Don't tell that to ViperZero, who'd never believe you because he reeks of naivetee.
 
They aren't ex-Marines...they are former Marines and trust me they care.

But I went to see it after me and some buddies walked out of "Get Rich or Die Trying", but I really didn't care for the movie. The book was far better and I recommend reading it over watching the movie. I figured they'd Hollywood it up and they did but not nearly as much as I thought they would. I don't know for a war movie it was boring and I really didn't like Jamie Foxx.

The boot camp scenes were good though, I liked them. But for the most part it was a boring-ish movie. It was like reading a picture book with not enough plot or something.
 
This has finally been released in England, so i saw it yesterday.

Great film. Very powerful performances & great direction. But thats about it, so im not entirely sure why i found it that good, but i did! Gylenhall, Foxx & Sarsgaad are all great on screen & i liked Dennis Haysbert (Palmer in 24) brief appearence.
It feels like a brilliant representation of what they have to put up with out there, "the tedium of war".
ro_ja, its not an action film, thats why there wasnt alot of action film.
 
Back