JDM SUBARU COLOUR CHOICE?

You're 15. If what I've heard about insurance over there is true, then I'd imagine it'd be awhile before you'd be able to get one of these. $1500 also seems a bit generous for what you're getting, but I don't know what you'd usually see over there so I can't say much.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

$1500 also seems a bit generous for what you're getting, but I don't know what you'd usually see over there.
You can get MX-5s for £400, they aren't the best but they can suffice with work.

The world would be a lot better if everyone had $600 Miatas. :P How bad is the insurance?
Like, if you buy the worst, worst crapshack econobox, and you're male, and 17, many sites will quote you for around £4k+ a year.

How bad is the insurance?
£1600 got my MINI insured, but that's with a black box and I live in a rural area which is cheap for insurance. Add modifications and without a black box you could easily be looking at a minimum of £3500 for a Polo, Corsa, Fiesta etc.

An MX-5 1.6 for me would be £3000 with a box.

Basically it means the purchase price is not a big issue.

Annnnd over here a VTi-R with the most comprehensive insurance is a shy over a grand per a year. Jeez.

I'll just stay here and pay my little $100 a month for liability/un/underinsured (granted I'm not listed as the primary driver but still).

I'm a bit late to the party as usual but here goes.

Your age does matter in the grand scheme of things. As already stated in multiple topics by many people, the UK doesn't hold back for insurance, and a £1000 Impreza Turbo is likely to be a complete crapshoot.

Things that I am all for you doing:

1. Purchasing one as a project that you're not going to drive for a while, while having something sensible that you use to get yourself your much needed freedom. This, however, is going to require a fair bit of money already saved on your part, a stable job, and a shedload of patience.
  2. Waiting a few years until you have a couple years experience driving under your belt, drive the econoboxes you need to, then purchase a WRX that is actually going to work. This is the way I did it and all it really requires is a stable job and a shedload of patience.

Some still find it hard to believe that I work in retail and own the car that I do, or even that I came to this car from a bog-standard CD5 Honda Accord. I purchased SIC EM with my own money that I had saved up for only 10 months to get, I bought all the modifications myself, I purchase all the consumables myself, and every service comes out of my own pocket.

The caveat to these facts is this: I was 20 when I purchased the WRX, I am now 23. And even in Australia, where while youngins are gouged for insurance it is nowhere near as severely as the UK, in my first year of ownership I was paying almost $200 every month for insurance. For those who can't be bothered with quick maths that's close to $2400 a year.

The reasons for this are extremely simple. The GC8 WRX is very quick for its age and class of vehicle, it is easily and was regularly stolen, and it's not particularly safe. Also, as our premiums somewhat run off the value of the car as well, my particular WRX was almost $5000 more than the market value of the same model car.

The "patience" part of the route I took is not in fact the saving up bit, it's the waiting so that insurance doesn't bankrupt me bit.

So why did I purchase this on the day in July 2012 when I could have had any number of more sensible vehicles like that Volkswagen Bora 4MOTION or Mitsubishi Magna or even the Commodore Ute I had driven earlier?

Presence, condition, and the fact that I knew I could comfortably afford it. And I have.

I suppose the point of this post is that while the Impreza Turbo isn't actually that difficult or expensive to maintain, it's about finding the right example, and making absolute sure you can afford everything that Impreza ownership pertains. Which again, is going to be more about insurance for a young driver than running costs.

So while you're taking all these other posts as criticism, look at it from the perspective of someone who actually owns what sort of car you're looking at.

With the shoe on the other foot though, I don't really recall any of @M3BIMMER 2012 's posts mentioning that he was going to be purchasing this as a first vehicle. Though I will say mate, hopefully when you do buy your Impreza Turbo you'll learn that that front bumper you've picked out will make it look awful ;) #stockbodylife.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party as usual but here goes.

Your age does matter in the grand scheme of things. As already stated in multiple topics by many people, the UK doesn't hold back for insurance, and a £1000 Impreza Turbo is likely to be a complete crapshoot.

Things that I am all for you doing:

1. Purchasing one as a project that you're not going to drive for a while, while having something sensible that you use to get yourself your much needed freedom. This, however, is going to require a fair bit of money already saved on your part, a stable job, and a shedload of patience.
  2. Waiting a few years until you have a couple years experience driving under your belt, drive the econoboxes you need to, then purchase a WRX that is actually going to work. This is the way I did it and all it really requires is a stable job and a shedload of patience.

Some still find it hard to believe that I work in retail and own the car that I do, or even that I came to this car from a bog-standard CD5 Honda Accord. I purchased SIC EM with my own money that I had saved up for only 10 months to get, I bought all the modifications myself, I purchase all the consumables myself, and every service comes out of my own pocket.

The caveat to these facts is this: I was 20 when I purchased the WRX, I am now 23. And even in Australia, where while youngins are gouged for insurance it is nowhere near as severely as the UK, in my first year of ownership I was paying almost $200 every month for insurance. For those who can't be bothered with quick maths that's close to $2400 a year.

The reasons for this are extremely simple. The GC8 WRX is very quick for its age and class of vehicle, it is easily and was regularly stolen, and it's not particularly safe. Also, as our premiums somewhat run off the value of the car as well, my particular WRX was almost $5000 more than the market value of the same model car.

The "patience" part of the route I took is not in fact the saving up bit, it's the waiting so that insurance doesn't bankrupt me bit.

So why did I purchase this on the day in July 2012 when I could have had any number of more sensible vehicles like that Volkswagen Bora 4MOTION or Mitsubishi Magna or even the Commodore Ute I had driven earlier?

Presence, condition, and the fact that I knew I could comfortably afford it. And I have.

I suppose the point of this post is that while the Impreza Turbo isn't actually that difficult or expensive to maintain, it's about finding the right example, and making absolute sure you can afford everything that Impreza ownership pertains. Which again, is going to be more about insurance for a young driver than running costs.

So while you're taking all these other posts as criticism, look at it from the perspective of someone who actually owns what sort of car you're looking at.

With the shoe on the other foot though, I don't really recall any of @M3BIMMER 2012 's posts mentioning that he was going to be purchasing this as a first vehicle. Though I will say mate, hopefully when you do buy your Impreza Turbo you'll learn that that front bumper you've picked out will make it look awful ;) #stockbodylife.
cheers mate, yeah, I already have realised that front bumper is awful! must have been a late night lol :)

Listen, OP, I understand where you're coming from. I originally wanted a '78 Camaro as a first car (baaaad choice). I had it all planned out. I'd get a part time job, save up 5-7k USD to buy one in nice, running shape, and work on it. I'd still be living with my parents, so insurance and gas and mods and repairs would be no problem.

But then, I remembered it'd be my only car. So what was I going to do when it wouldn't start in the morning because God only knows why? Or what about when I inevitably wreck it because that's what new drivers do? And if that wreck causes major body or frame damage, you're :censored:ed because it's a classic.

Now, towards your situation. You're looking at a sports car (like I was), for cheap (like I was). The problem is, that's not a cheap sports car. Have you really considered why they're selling for £1,000? That's one hell of a deal for any Impreza WRX... Probably been raced, or in a wreck, or on its fourth owner now.

And then there's insurance... I see you're in Europe. The insurance companies will kill you. Just ask @Katiegan, who just finished shopping for her first car.

You want my advice? Get whatever you can that's cheap to run and insure. Drive it for a few years. Get a record with an insurance company. Stay out of wrecks, don't get tickets, don't drink and drive. Then, you might can look at a more expensive Impreza, in nicer shape. Not really sure what you have over there across the pond, but a Fiesta sounds nice and cheap. Older than what you're looking at though, probably. I'm personally going to be looking at NB2 Miatas when I (hopefully) get a job after I turn 18 (Because personal reasons, and who wants to deal with the government, anyway?). They're cheap, RWD, cheap to insure ($200 USD a month for the minimum coverage here, which is about as good as it gets for me), sporty, fun to drive (from what I hear), have great aftermarket support, are easy to work on, and have the potential for more power, if you want it.

Now, on to the original question, I've got to say, I'm a big fan of the WR blue with gold rims look, not gonna lie.

haha guys, chill chill, yes I am 15, soon to work at citroen, hoping to have a 2012-13 shape fiesta for my first car, chill! like I said, I was just planning for the future guys, c'mon. nice colour Murcie.
The Fiesta is a great first car. However, you won't be able to afford insurance on a WRX until about 25, and in 10 years the Impreza market will be totally different. I hate to crush your dreams, but the Subie is totally beyond your means unless your family is incredibly rich and and your parents are fiscally irresponsible.

Back