• 30 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I've bought most of the parts for my new PC now, & will be building it Soon™. I just need a GPU, monitor & a few other sundries...

Are there any Assetto Corsa forums out there that are more active than this subforum?

Any advice for a total noob on how to get into making my own mods?

:cheers:

canoworms.gif

Read through the few hundred pages in the 'AC Mod' thread.

One you get through that, you should be up to speed.

Welcome to the club fella. I do hope you enjoy yourself here, I think you'll find some of the problems you've encountered still exist in PC Land because, well, humans. Finding online racing can be a bit tricky too because people are splintered between their preferred games and tend to look down on all other games. :rolleyes: But hopefully you'll find plenty to enjoy! Make sure to join the AC official forum if you haven't already, scroll down below the ACC section and there's a section for AC with lots of info (and arguing). Let us know when you get things up and running and we'll send you the promised cookies.

y692a.jpg

:cheers:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php#assetto-corsa.47

Thanks guys! Just picked up a monitor this evening off eBay, so just the GPU to go now. I'm thinking of pushing the boat out on that front...

VBR
Thanks guys! Just picked up a monitor this evening off eBay, so just the GPU to go now. I'm thinking of pushing the boat out on that front...

If there's one thing to spend the extra money on it's the GPU, it will dictate how many bells/whistles you can turn up.

Fun times ahead for you.
I remember the first month I spent more time installing mods than I did driving.

Racedepartment is a wonderful evil that will consume your time and HHD/SSD.

My recommendation is find the apps/mods you'll actually use then leave the rest.

Use content manager, support x4fab give him $5 it's beyond worth it.

There's so much more beyond AC, if you've never experienced Automoblista or rFactor 2 you're in for a treat.

I assumed that racing on PC didn't cost anything, but have since found out otherwise. @BrandonW77 how much does it cost to use a server for online racing in AC?

VBR
I assumed that racing on PC didn't cost anything, but have since found out otherwise. @BrandonW77 how much does it cost to use a server for online racing in AC?

Doesn't cost me anything, I just run it off my own PC through my own network. I have 100mpbs internet so I can host full servers without issue or cost, even when I was on 25mpbs I could still host about a 12-15 drivers without any drama. But if you need to rent one they can be had for like $5/month or less. What's your internet speed? I'm pretty sure all the games are free to run a server if you can do it off your own network. It's pretty easy to do too, at least in AC anyway (no experience running servers for other games).

I think we used to use rackservice for Friday Night Fun, and I think elitegameservers is another popular one.

https://www.rackservice.org/assetto-corsa

https://www.elitegameservers.net/game-servers/assetto-corsa-multiplayer-game-server-hosting

What's your internet speed?

I don't have fibre optical cable in my property, only ADSL. It was good enough for hosting 16 on track in GT5/6 with 3 bar quality. Can do 16 with 4 bar quality in GT Sport.

Speed Test June 28th 2019.jpg

VBR
I don't have fibre optical cable in my property, only ADSL. It was good enough for hosting 16 on track in GT5/6 with 3 bar quality. Can do 16 with 4 bar quality in GT Sport.

View attachment 831881

No fiber optic here either, just fast internet. With that upload speed you'll probably struggle to have more than maybe a half dozen driver slots available. You can check it, when you're setting up in the server app there's a slider for how many people you want to allow and when you adjust it there will be a little display to the right (I believe) that shows how much upload speed you need for that many clients.

VBR
The maximum download speed of ADSL2+ is 24Mbps, so how on earth are you getting 100Mbps?

Perhaps I was mistaken, it seems to be listed as fiber at that speeds. I had no idea, just know it got upgraded last summer and they had to put a new modem in and run a new line (likely for the fiber optic, duh!). Anyway, it's fast and I love it and I'm not paying anymore than I was for the 24mbps package. :dopey:

Bad news; monitor turned up smashed, had to get a refund. Good news; got a kickass GPU for a great price. Will be building the PC this weekend when the GPU turns up.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely...

VBR
Bad news; monitor turned up smashed, had to get a refund. Good news; got a kickass GPU for a great price. Will be building the PC this weekend when the GPU turns up.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely...

Good luck and keep us updated!

Monitor turned up fine, & it's great. However, I'm thinking of getting another case. Got an Aerocool Aero 800 in white but would prefer a black one. Didn't feel like building it over the weekend, ended up binge-watching some series on Prime instead.

VBR
ended up binge-watching some series on Prime instead.

I recommend The Widow, watched it not too long ago and was surprised at how good it was. Jack Ryan is good too, new season coming soon I think.

I recommend The Widow, watched it not too long ago and was surprised at how good it was. Jack Ryan is good too, new season coming soon I think.

Watched Mindhunter, & that was absolutely fantastic. Then I watched Altered Carbon, & that was OK, Then over the weekend I watched all 3 seasons of The Expanse, & that was very good indeed. I prefer Sci-Fi/space operas/futuristic type stuff, not so much into action. I'll check out The Widow, thanks.

VBR
Watched Mindhunter, & that was absolutely fantastic. Then I watched Altered Carbon, & that was OK, Then over the weekend I watched all 3 seasons of The Expanse, & that was very good indeed. I prefer Sci-Fi/space operas/futuristic type stuff, not so much into action. I'll check out The Widow, thanks.

Mindhunter was good, a bit short but it's based on the real behavioral analysis original founders. I started Altered Carbon but got bored with it pretty quickly and bailed. Of course Stranger Things is fantastic, just finished the new season but it's not really sci-fi...well maybe kinda. You might not like the Widow then, no space stuff but it's a good story and a fun ride.

I prefer a black case too, as long as it isn't going to cost you anymore money or delay the project too much.

I prefer a black case too, as long as it isn't going to cost you anymore money or delay the project too much.

I was advised that getting a good case could make a build go smoothly or badly depending on the quality of the case, so I decided to get one that was known to be good rather than one that just looked all blingy. I settled on the Aero 800 because of the sheer amount of positive reviews. However, the white ones were selling for half the price of the black ones, so this being a budget build I went with one of those instead. I've seen a black case going for a reasonable amount recently, so if I could sell the white one on then it might be worth it.

New series of Mindhunter will be starting sometime in August 2019, apparently. I do love a good police procedural, SVU is a firm favourite.

I bought my MSI gaming PC off the shelf and ready to go out of the box so I never had to deal with any of the assembly stuff or review components. It's served me well too, I think it's a little over 2 years old now and I've never had to even take the side panel off (yet).

It's all on hold, for now, having to deal with other things at the moment...

Hey man grats with your PC. I know I will some day get there too. Just holing of a bit for now :-)

I have been lurking to get a PC for Sim racing for so long.

Still going to wait a bit. Now with the new consoles around the corner I am going to go down that route to begin with. I recon those new consoles will be good value for money specs wise. Just hope there will come some good sim games for them and especially hope for better support for PSVR or PSVR V2.

But at some point down the road I am going to build a PC. But I kinda want to get a monster. My plan is to wait about 2 years, but when I go I will go close to all in lol.

This system will cost me a lot. But its been my dream for so many years. Atm I have my PS4 and Xbox one with playseat challenge and Logitech G29 wich I love. But I want to try and have a full system at some point in my life :-)

I want to have top end PC with 2080TI or better, with VR set, Curved Monitor, Fanatec wheel and pedals, and a new RIG.

This is going to cost a lot. But I am in a good position financially so its not going to break my bank. But still holding of a bit to see how VR develops down the road. Hopefully it will be better and cheaper as the technology evolves over the next couple of years.

Anyway. Everyday I read about those options that PC guys have I am kinda envy and more and more often I am eager to just make the switch now. But my brain tells me it is better to wait a few years to hopefully see VR technology gets cheaper and better :-)

Back