Jordan Interview Coming...

• Thread starter maxpontiac
  • 68 comments
United States
Arizona
maxpontiac
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1872665/gt6_critics_of_kazunori_shortsighted_says_fansite_owner.html

Criticism of Gran Turismo series director Kazunori Yamauchi over comments he made about GT5’s engine sounds being ‘too real’ were ‘short-sighted’ according to the owner of the leading GT fansite.

GT Planet head honcho Jordan Greer told NowGamer: “In one of my recent interviews with Kazunori, I had a chance to ask him about [engine sounds].

“His opinion was that GT's engine sounds were "too real” and said they could do more to "design" the sound and make it "sexier".

“He was widely mocked for the "too real" comment, but I think most of the criticism was short-sighted, as he clearly acknowledged the issue and described how it can be fixed. I'm confident we'll see (or hear) improvements in the next game [GT6]."

Do you think the criticism levied at Kazunori was justified? Or do you think the game does need ‘sexier’ engine sounds? Let us know in the comments below or via Twitter on @NowGamer_Feed

Stay tuned to NowGamer for the full interview with Jordan Greer in the coming days.

I am so looking forward to this..

Last edited:
Ohh boy, can't wait. O_O Engine sounds are one of the most important things in racing games, looking forward to this as well. :D

Wonder if he will make any mention of why the p4/5 story was taken down...

I am definitely guilty of some of the most scathing mocking. Here is my comment from that news post:

""13.November 6th, 2012 at 1:20 pm - #
researchALLwars
Proper english translation:

” I have completely disconnected from Gran Turismo and reality. ‘Human drama’ refers to the kind of drama you humans experience, as opposed to the drama that whatever sort of creature I am tends to experience. The seasonal race events are fantastic, as we are fully utilizing all that GT5 has to offer when making them. Over and over. Yes 1000 cars and tracks with weather/time transition are available, but we need not worry about them. Did you guys enjoy the last Skyline events? Good. My Online Operations team are the most creative in the industry. Speaking of the industry, we care not about ANY of our competition. What they do, how they do it, great ideas that could be researched from from studying them- no matter how simple, will never be looked at by us here at PD. That is the most abhorrent thing I’ve ever heard. I believe our sales numbers tell the entire story, and business is good. We will keep this train of original japanese ideas rolling, until we drive off a cliff. This is our prideful way. We also start each Gran Turismo completely from scratch, even though I make statements to the contrary in silly interviews like these. Remember the hope-inducing line about GT5 being the operating system, and GT6 will be like adding software? That was a good one. Don’t worry, I will completely contradict this new statement in a year or so.. Also I want to point out that Drag Racing is a befuddling mystery to me, and all of the people on my planet. Just read my answer to that particular question again if you want to experience similar befuddlment. To reiterate, it would be very difficult to implement a straight 1/4 mile track, a light tree, and then make the cars go forward when you press the accelerator. This is ridiculous. By the way, how about those butterflys, dogs, and sheep that we modelled for various scenes in GT5? Did you all appreciate the craftsmanship on those animals? Very good. I hope to incorporate rabbits into GT6, and maybe some of you will get the joke. Ha Ha …Ha.”

(shakes Jordans hand, buttons stylish jacket, flies off into space)

; ) ""
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/

Now.. I respectfully disagree with what Jordan says in this new interview. Kaz did not "clearly acknowledge" the issue nor did he "describe how it could be fixed". Mr. Kazunori brushed off the suggestion as if we are all stupid, and then backhanded us by implying that we want "sexy" engine sounds, and not REAL engine sounds. Straight bullocks, son.

👎

Last edited:
You respectfully disagree with Jordan but do not extend the same courtesy to Kazunori san...all quite insulting really.

Also, where have you been during all of the time that PD have not taken any notice of other games? It's hardly a new stance now, is it - so why should they change?

Last edited:

Now.. I respectfully disagree with what Jordan says in this new interview. Kaz did not "clearly acknowledge" the issue nor did he "describe how it could be fixed". Mr. Kazunori brushed off the suggestion as if we are all stupid, and then backhanded us by implying that we want "sexy" engine sounds, and not REAL engine sounds. Straight bullocks, son.

👎

It might well be the case that your recollection of the interview might differ from Jordan's (maybe you should compare notes, make an article of it), but I suspect that you actually know nothing because you almost certainly weren't there. As such, allow yourself some consideration for the possibility that there might be some sub-text / context / pre-amble to that statement that is, for whatever reason, missing in what was "published". Also, remember that Kaz once, not too long ago, said the same thing about the visuals, more or less - certainly that they were "too perfect". That should say everything about Kaz's often somewhat lyrical style (language barrier included) and his obvious recognition of the lack of any real absolutes in the medium.

If you're taking personal offence at something that Kaz has said in criticism only of himself (as an extension of GT), maybe you should take a step back and think about why you would do such a thing. I could think of a few things for you, but that wouldn't be very nice, given that I know nothing about you save for what you just wrote, son.

The way they record the sounds might be real, but anyone with good hearing knows the sounds in GT5 are garbage. It will be too real when you can't tell the difference between sounds in GT and real life.

"too real" must be his way of saying garbage.

Too accurate in many cases. They lack timbre which is why we all think that they sound horrible. Many games, such as Forza, get around this by adding a bunch of bass and make them sound like growling monsters.

When Kaz says "sexier" noises, it seems as though he's hinting to make them more aggressive, more like they have timbre.

Some sounds are plain wrong though, I will admit. But you people calling it garbage are being slightly too rough I think. I love how my Aston V12 sounds, as well as my Nissan 350Z. And especially the Gallardo.

Not all the sounds are garbage, and since Kaz seems to be acknowledging that something is wrong and willing to fix it, I think it's only fair that we all wait until GT6 before we start saying things like he needs hearing aids.

Last edited:
"Timbre" is just a way of saying "an object's particular sound" and is for sound, in general usage, analogous to the term "colour" for light. It's a bit of an artistic term, really, though, so it's not rigidly defined, but all sounds do have timbre nonetheless.
What you might mean is that these sounds often don't have the right timbre, which is to say simply that they don't sound right. It's probably worth noting that the start-up sounds are representative of PD's recording quality, but there's more to game audio than recording.

There is an argument, usually found in discussions of recording acoustic musical instruments, that a single microphone will leave the resulting recording very "dry" and lifeless. This is fine, except that, depending on where you place the microphone, the resulting sound can have vastly different colouration, and a typical listening environment for these instruments will represent several of these colourations at once - the richness of which explains the apparent "dryness" of the single mic. The environmental effect is reduced in these single-spot recordings because the mic is so close that the direct sound dominates. The "solution" in music is to record from several locations and mix them to the artist's liking. This is fine, because the desired colouration is usually fixed, as you don't tend to move around, and neither does the performer so much - if you did, you probably wouldn't want there to be changes in the timbre anyway, hence all the trouble speaker designers go to to make speakers that sound the same from all angles.

With cars, the opposite is true. They still sound different, sometimes only very subtly, other times not so much, depending on where you're standing, but these variations need to be represented because, typically, cars move about a lot. Below is a great example of what I mean, try listening with your eyes closed and notice that you know fairly well where you are in relation to the car, or at least you know that your "viewpoint" is changing - the sense of space and locality is excellent with your eyes open, of course.

So, as even small and / or continuous movements affect the colouration noticeably, should we record from multiple locations? Yes, ideally. Should we mix them according to the artist's liking? No - they should be mixed according to the prevailing in-game spatial relationship between the source (the car) and listener (your ears), plus the interrelation of both with the surrounding scenery, near and far, large and small etc. (i.e. "reverb").
This is sometimes referred to as "spatialisation", or, more often, "localisation" (that means regional adaptations, e.g. translations etc. in game-dev-speak, though) and broadly refers to "locating" the sound within its soundscape relative to a listener in that same soundscape by reproducing those subtle effects I already described.

That's actually not very practical in game, to dynamically mix several recordings (it's not very elegant, either), so instead you should take a single set of dry recordings and dynamically colour them according to the above variations on the fly, and validate that against your multiple recordings collected beforehand. The techniques used would be similar to those employed against the "global illumination problem" for game lighting, only with some extra, significant complexities. This is an important step that games need to take, in my opinion. The samples in GT5 are easily "fixed" if they work out what they're doing wrong, so I'd hope that PD are focusing on this spatialisation stuff instead.

Anyway, I don't want to hear somebody's impression of how they think cars should sound, I want to hear how they actually sound in a wide range of environments. That's why this "sexy" business worries me, but we'll see I suppose.

One of my fondest memories of gt5 was trying out different components on a Carol 360 Deluxe. If any of you want to see what I mean just full tune one and put the full-racing exhaust on it.

:lol: too real

Aren't the full-racing exhausts pretty much generic with regard to the sound produced? I think that is a part of the perceived problem.

"Timbre" is just a way of saying "an object's particular sound" and is for sound, in general usage, analogous to the term "colour" for light.
I'd say tone for colour is more akin to timbre in sound :sly: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am definitely guilty of some of the most scathing mocking. Here is my comment from that news post:

researchALLwars

” I have completely disconnected from Gran Turismo and reality. ‘Human drama’ refers to the kind of drama you humans experience, as opposed to the drama that whatever sort of creature I am tends to experience. The seasonal race events are fantastic, as we are fully utilizing all that GT5 has to offer when making them. Over and over. Yes 1000 cars and tracks with weather/time transition are available, but we need not worry about them. Did you guys enjoy the last Skyline events? Good. My Online Operations team are the most creative in the industry. Speaking of the industry, we care not about ANY of our competition. What they do, how they do it, great ideas that could be researched from from studying them- no matter how simple, will never be looked at by us here at PD. That is the most abhorrent thing I’ve ever heard. I believe our sales numbers tell the entire story, and business is good. We will keep this train of original japanese ideas rolling, until we drive off a cliff. This is our prideful way. We also start each Gran Turismo completely from scratch, even though I make statements to the contrary in silly interviews like these. Remember the hope-inducing line about GT5 being the operating system, and GT6 will be like adding software? That was a good one. Don’t worry, I will completely contradict this new statement in a year or so.. Also I want to point out that Drag Racing is a befuddling mystery to me, and all of the people on my planet. Just read my answer to that particular question again if you want to experience similar befuddlment. To reiterate, it would be very difficult to implement a straight 1/4 mile track, a light tree, and then make the cars go forward when you press the accelerator. This is ridiculous. By the way, how about those butterflys, dogs, and sheep that we modelled for various scenes in GT5? Did you all appreciate the craftsmanship on those animals? Very good. I hope to incorporate rabbits into GT6, and maybe some of you will get the joke. Ha Ha …Ha.”

; ) ""
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/

👎

Exactly my thoughts.

Where does Kaz acknoledge the problem?

Basically, when we ask for realistic sounds, he says : "Ho yes... i see your problem: our sounds are soooo realistic that they sound crap! But i get your point: we could make them less accurate so you, stupid morons, are happy".

Pure denial... and then Jordan says that WE are short sighted. It's one thing to give us news that we would not get otherwise, it's another one to teach us how to read. Maybe Jordan thinks the words Kaz uses are too complicated for us to understand. Anyway: this is absolutly ridiculous. Kaz is the only producer in the world whose interviewers need to damage control their own interview.

I m not even going to argue wether or not GT5 sounds are realistic: anyone who thinks they are is either deaf, or has never been in a real car AND watched any car race in his life.
That is not even debattable (thousands of players, thousands of videos on the web prove it...but hey: if people don't want the truth...).

Anyway: GTplanet is a fansite... I guess I can't expect any lucidity from its founder or its users.

researchALLwars

; ) ""

👎

Yes, I do get that impression from his comments also.

Last edited:
Aren't the full-racing exhausts pretty much generic with regard to the sound produced? I think that is a part of the perceived problem.

It's not that they're generic, just that they're not even the right kind of engine a lot of the time. Racing exhausts are the worst offenders in that regard, but all exhaust parts are prone to it.
I'd say tone for colour is more akin to timbre in sound :sly: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm not sure I follow; you don't "get" timbre by adding quiet, broadband noise to a pure tone (= grey to a pure hue). It's too specific a term; the audio equivalent of a "shade", for instance, is to turn it down a bit (add black), and a tint or pastel is to turn everything up (add white). Obviously these are technical analogies, but I don't think reliable perceptual ones exist given the difference in the way eyes and ears work (and the way the brain interprets their "outputs") and the ranges over which they operate.

Anyway, I think a spectrogram shows everything that timbre is, and Wikipedia shows that the term timbre is contradictorily semi-specific ("everything that's not pitch or loudness") and entirely general ("colouration = spectral envelope" i.e., a spectrogram...) at the same time - i.e. it's just a way of saying "recognisable sound character".

It's not some magical quality, at any rate, more a specific term used in describing and comparing sounds. Saying GT's sounds lack "timbre" is like saying the graphics lack "appearance". You could say they don't have the right timbre, or the full range of timbres of real cars, and you could also say they don't have the right appearance - neither are really very useful things to say when most of us are already aware of this obvious fact.

----------------

Regarding some of the interpretations of what Kaz said, do bear in mind he said this after saying the cars sound "too real" and "too accurate":
Kaz
What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

He talked about this exact same thing regarding the graphics, too, saying they focused too much on the one snapshot of what a circuit looked like at one particular time of day at one particular time of year as being "too perfect". If the "sexiness" in that case was to add weather and dynamic lighting, I can only hope that same sort of sexy carries over to the sounds, because that's exactly what I was talking about in my previous post with the R8.

I wonder if any exclusive info will come out. I doubt it and I'm expecting vague answers.

Be happy to eat my words though.

But you people calling it garbage are being slightly too rough I think.

I don't think so, how many years has it been and the C5R still sounds nothing like a it should or even a V8. That goes for the whole family of LT and LS engine cars in the game, if it's not garbage then it's plain laziness by PD.

The two things that have always been poor in the GT series are the ai and sounds, glad to see Kaz is in full denial with the sounds are "too real".

Thank you for reinforcing what Jordan meant by "short-sighted" critics.

Sorry i won't kiss the guys ass, if Helen Keller was alive she could literally listen and tell you they are crap. They should probably go buy a copy of Forza and check the sounds out, at least they sound like they are in the correct area code.

Last edited:
I don't think so, how many years has it been and the C5R still sounds nothing like a it should or even a V8. That goes for the whole family of LT and LS engine cars in the game, if it's not garbage then it's plain laziness by PD.

The two things that have always been poor in the GT series are the ai and sounds, glad to see Kaz is in full denial with the sounds are "too real".

I just don't think they were focusing on GT5 with their sound efforts, frankly. They used the same samples from GT4, GT3 and GT2 (although less compressed and as separate sources compared to that latter case) probably because of memory constraints on the PS3. Why bother making new sounds to this outdated standard when you could be making them to the new one? Whatever that is.
Also, even if this hypothetical new standard were possible on PS3, there's the fact that there were a lot of cars returning with GT4's sounds.
Still, thanks to their "simulation" focus, GT5's sound engine is a work of art, and puts PD in good stead when they get around to playing with more RAM and all this sexy business Kaz mentioned.

Also, it's not denial: he's admitting they have work to do and that they have not met the standards expected recently - taking his comments literally has repeatedly caused misunderstanding, so you should be more wary of it. At no point is he blaming us, either, so I don't know where some people are pulling that one from.
Sorry i won't kiss the guys ass, if Helen Keller was alive she could literally listen and tell you they are crap. They should probably go buy a copy of Forza and check the sounds out, at least they sound like they are in the correct area code.

Forza is more faithful to the lineage of recent arcade racers at the moment, in terms of "turn it up to eleven" style and artistic impression, but the sounds are not very good technically (very little real variation / expression - it's too static) and are utterly unconvincing with headphones (the effects they use overshadow any specific character each car has, making the whole game sound the same).
Turn10 really took a wrong turn in the sound design starting with FM3, in my opinion (I only own FM2), but that was likely a compromise in order to be able to make as many cars as they did in the time that they made them - either that or they were struggling with space on the DVDs, but I couldn't be sure that's even possible.

Alex has now posted the full interview.

Pure denial... and then Jordan says that WE are short sighted. It's one thing to give us news that we would not get otherwise, it's another one to teach us how to read. Maybe Jordan thinks the words Kaz uses are too complicated for us to understand. Anyway: this is absolutly ridiculous. Kaz is the only producer in the world whose interviewers need to damage control their own interview.

Anyway: GTplanet is a fansite... I guess I can't expect any lucidity from its founder or its users.
You're right, this is absolutely ridiculous. I never "told you how to read", suggested Kazunori's words were "too complicated for you to understand", or did "damage control". I was merely offering my opinion and interpretation of his comments and the popular reaction to them.

As I said, its clear to me that Kazunori thinks the sound should change. When he says the sounds are "too real" or "too accurate" and then goes on to state Polyphony should challenge themselves to "design" the sound, he's not boasting or calling critics "morons", as you suggested. He's stating that things should change and improve. How does that not acknowledge the problem or describe how it can be corrected? If "designing" the sound can provide us with engines that sound more visceral and emotive and make the overall experience more exciting and immersive, is that not a good thing? Is that not what we want?

From my perspective, it seems many have interpreted his comments in a way which reinforces their perception of Kazunori as some type of out-of-touch, arrogant buffoon. This might explain why there are so many wildly exaggerated, embellished depictions of the interview:

researchALLwars

Basically, when we ask for realistic sounds, he says : "Ho yes... i see your problem: our sounds are soooo realistic that they sound crap! But i get your point: we could make them less accurate so you, stupid morons, are happy".
Those bear absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened or what was actually said, but they do help type-cast an over-the-top caricature of Kazunori. You believe he has harmed a franchise that you love, and you are actively looking for statements from him which reinforce that opinion.

You, cassiusclay99, even did this to me when you saw my comments. You were apparently so eager to portray me as someone so hopelessly enamored with Kazunori that you perceived my comments in highly negative and totally inaccurate ways.

We all do this to an extent with politicians and public figures. If they do something we disagree with or if they play for a team we don't like, we will first perceive anything they do to be negative, naive, or selfishly motivated. If someone suggests a more neutral analysis, they too are often marginalized for being biased, because that's easier to do than dealing with the cognitive dissonance of considering their position.

I'll be the first to say I was terribly disappointed with most of the answers he gave to my questions in that interview, and I am unhappy with many things in Gran Turismo 5 that I hope are changed in Gran Turismo 6. I do not, however, believe that Kazunori is delusional, nor do I believe that he wants to insult, hurt, or offend fans or critics of the series.

You're welcome to disagree with me on that if you want, and I won't question your intelligence, your ability to read, or your "lucidity". I only ask that you take another, closer look at his response and respect my personal opinion and perception of his comments.

"I think the engine sounds need to see the most improvement in the next iteration of the Gran Turismo series. *Although more cars, tracks, and features will almost certainly be included in the next game, the sounds haven't evolved at the same rate as the graphics and driving physics."
I totally agree. After playing many other racing games like Forza 4 and NFS Most Wanted, the engine sounds in GT5 are outclassed by almost any other game. Hopefully PD have taken a page out of Turn 10's or Criterion Games' book and decided to record engine notes like they do.

I posted this in another thread a while back, but merits a repost. This explains to me what Kaz might have meant by engine sounds being too realistic:

Jordan - Nice interview.

Others - If I can give some advice to those unhappy with GT5.. It's ok to have issues with GT5 but if you really are serious about someone from PDI listening to your ideas and feedback you should avoid the agressive and insulting stance.

Not only does it make YOU look bad, it is highly possible they won't give you or your thoughts any attention.

Last edited:
Jordan - Nice interview.

Others - If I can give some advice to those unhappy with GT5.. It's ok to have issues with GT5 but the if you really are serious about someone from PDI listening to your ideas and feedback you should avoid the agressive and insulting stance.

Not only does it make YOU look bad, it is highly possible they won't give you or thoughts any attention.

All true words, this 👍

Griff's point can't be ignored either; while a great pile of the samples in GT5 are pretty terrible, the sound engine PD has worked on is quite possibly the best in the console business. The atmospheric and spatial considerations are absent in a great many competitors (or very simplified), and one must consider that side of the "realism" comments from Kaz.

Jordan-> Tx for your answer. I respect your opinion....but YOU said that some of us were short-sighted. That ,to me, sounds condescending. And, even if I see your point, your interpretation of Kaz's words seems VERY fastidious. As if you put words or thoughts in his minds.
Note how he uses the conditional (as always, he NEVER comits to anything) instead of saying we WILL design the sound better.

Again, he -and you- seem to miss the point. The sounds are truely not accurate... and sometimes completely wrong. It has nothing to do with sound design. And the fact that the Honda HSV010 could be so wrong even after all the gripes about engine sounds is really annoying. Don't you think?

You say you are not happy with his answers... why is that? How come he always seems to politely answer, insisting on their commitment into making the most realistic and accurate simulator... but never TRULY and CLEARLY aknowledging anything. Never truly saying: we will correct this, change that. (not brand new stuff of course: the man needs to protect their ideas... ) Seriously: Kaz's communication is always very ambiguous to say the least. How come?

how come we still have no idea about his so-called "vision" for GT5? This vision is nowhere to be seen. Don't you agree?

Why be so indulgent with him when he does not show much consideration to his fans? No official forum, no english speaker PR...

That's the most annoying thing in this mess called GT5: the community is swallowing everything Kaz says. If the community does not react, GT will end up like PES...and Forza will be FIFA. That's what's coming...

If you are unhappy about things, i think you should be more vocal. Right now, no offense but I always feel like you are just some kind of unofficial PR for PD.

Anyway: sorry if you felt offended. I just happen to be very picky with GT (and that makes me even more stupid and grumpy than I really am)

Awesome interview Jordan, I really enjoyed reading it and I agree with some much of what you've said. Big +1,000 for you. :D:tup:

Jordan - Nice interview.

Others - If I can give some advice to those unhappy with GT5.. It's ok to have issues with GT5 but the if you really are serious about someone from PDI listening to your ideas and feedback you should avoid the agressive and insulting stance.

Not only does it make YOU look bad, it is highly possible they won't give you or thoughts any attention.

So well put. 👍

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back