JordanColePhotos

• Thread starter DaehlateM
  • 56 comments
Fair warning...I took this in my garage. The original edit was featured on a front page Autoweek article some time ago.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/one-lap-web-all-hail-gulf-livery

IMG_5307 by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr

I don't like the version on autoweek that much. The crop just ruins it, the overal colour too. The version here is much better. Though I'm not sure about the passenger door window, I have the feeling I'm either looking through it or it mirrors something that isn't there. A bit more black like the autoweek version would be better I think.

The Scud is spot on 👍 I like the other one too on your Flickr.

You have more nice photos with less editting done. I even see planes, show 'm!

Agreed. Both are a little odd. The autoweek version is just weird to me now...regardless, it got to that website somehow!

I actually did something that would impress some of you yesterday. I went completely outside of my box and only took a 35mm lens to a shoot last night, nothing else. No lights, no nothing. My first impressions are this is easily my favorite set to date. It really forced me to move and move the car around and get the shot as opposed to using a focal length as a crutch.

IMG_0428 by JordanColePhotos.com, on Flickr

Still editing that set!

You'd laugh if I told you. For this shoot, a T3i and a Rokinon 35mm. Didn't expect this to take off so I just wanted something to replace my 40d, and the T3i has functioned well. I still, aside from image size, don't think I've been held back by the camera. Fast forward to now and I really need to look at upgrading kits. Just don't know what I want. Researched them all to death, just have to pick one I suppose. A7R, D810 and 6d are in the final running though.

Last edited:
I like that one a lot more than most of your multi exposures. Several of my friends who photograph commercially use this technique, it can be used to create that "professional" look clients will like, but it can also look very weird/fake. Personally I prefer single exposure photos by far, a photo where not every single area is perfectly lit often looks much more interesting to me. That said my post processing skills aren't too great yet as I've only lately started to try deeper editing. I do like the look of some of your multi exposures like the first 991 GT3 photo and especially the Cobra.

Finally, I'm wondering why you decided to join this place? I had a brief look at your profile and it seems you just post photos now and then. Do you play any of the GTs? GT6 has a pretty awesome photo mode in case you haven't tried it. It's much more orientated towards real photography than other games' photomodes I tried so far. 👍

I like that one a lot more than most of your multi exposures. Several of my friends who photograph commercially use this technique, it can be used to create that "professional" look clients will like, but it can also look very weird/fake. Personally I prefer single exposure photos by far, a photo where not every single area is perfectly lit often looks much more interesting to me. That said my post processing skills aren't too great yet as I've only lately started to try deeper editing. I do like the look of some of your multi exposures like the first 991 GT3 photo and especially the Cobra.

Finally, I'm wondering why you decided to join this place? I had a brief look at your profile and it seems you just post photos now and then. Do you play any of the GTs? GT6 has a pretty awesome photo mode in case you haven't tried it. It's much more orientated towards real photography than other games' photomodes I tried so far. 👍

It's tough for me to go in with only one exposure. Even with no strobes, I'm taking 2-3 per car just spinning a cp to get rid of reflections. The planets have to align to get it right, I'm 50% there I think. Some turn out great, some look...well..yea, I don't claim to be a pro.

I'm a long time lurker. I don't even own a playstation, but lover of all things racing. I don't really get around to gaming much anymore but I like to watch tech progress. I have messed around with the photomode in Gt6, but it's just not for me. I'd rather have the wind in my hair so to speak. It does produce phenomenal results.

Still editing that set!

You'd laugh if I told you. For this shoot, a T3i and a Rokinon 35mm. Didn't expect this to take off so I just wanted something to replace my 40d, and the T3i has functioned well. I still, aside from image size, don't think I've been held back by the camera. Fast forward to now and I really need to look at upgrading kits. Just don't know what I want. Researched them all to death, just have to pick one I suppose. A7R, D810 and 6d are in the final running though.

The T3i is a pretty solid bit given the cost, and Rokinon makes a solid lens for the money (I have their 8.5mm and 85mm F/1.4) if you can take time to focus. My only complaint about it is the handling compared to larger bodies, like the 40D or my 5DmkII, which can get in the way of working at times. I've heard good things about the A7R, outside of the limited range of lenses currently offered for it. The 6D looks solid if you aren't hurting for the auto-focus options the 5DmkIII brings to the table.

These recent shots are quite nice with a nice inviting and natural feel. Same for the NA Miata shots.

Thanks! Its refreshing to get a little more basic, per your suggestion, and come out with stellar results.

The first Rokinon I bought was the 85mm and it just made me want the rest of their lenses. I'm mostly on a tripod, so focusing issues aren't too bad. I did get a Katzeye for it which helped out some with walking around with it mounted but, still...not ideal for that. The only one I don't have is the 24mm, which I def want. I have some fringing issues with my 35 and 85, but it can be edged out if I'm looking for it. Superb lenses for the price if you're patient.

I noticed you shoot some with an Eos M, I have on as my back up, but never use it. I need to get better acquainted with it because it seems like a solid little camera. I love the size, just wish it had a flip out screen or view finder.

6d is likely going to be the winner as I'm most familiar with Canon and wouldn't have to mess lens adapters and/or buy all new lenses. The auto focusing doesn't really matter much to me.

Last edited:
Really like that last shot. Any details on it?

Also, is the Mazda happy because its growing a tree :D

It may be happy because it's got a mouth full of intercooler!

Just got back from Eureka Springs, which I am convinced is one of the prettiest 'unknown-ish' places on the planet. The chapel is the Thorncrown Worship Center, right out side of the town itself, and next to the even more impressive Thorncrown Chapel. Simply gorgeous buildings. We got a little private tour of the worship center and while setting up a buddy was admiring the view...couldn't resist that shot. The architecture was stunning from every angle.

You might have to UP your game.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-gallery-by-nbdesignz-08-10-14.291187/

This guy DOES it with ONLY the game!

And a little PS, but you do as well very noticeably. Just something to think about when you, as we know, take someone's cheque.

No worries bud. The other guy seemed offended on your behalf. Great stuff that your trying to change carreer path, and i commend you.

'Video game' forum with lots of real world applicable sections within. Were you expecting just gushing praise, when posting your works in public? www.Wakeupcall.com

Yes, its all about getting the gig. But once you have, you've still got to impress the crowd when you play out there. Or you don't get the next gig. I'd be worried though, if a drummer with a childs toy kit played as well as I did.

But your right, suppose my artistic integrity would get in the way, why play the live percussion of the MX-5 photo, when the crowd want synthesised drum loops.

Apologies for being overly critical, I was expecting to be blown away when looking in this section. And I haven't.
Especially when expensive Zeiss lenses have been purchased. I've wrongly taken my unimpressedness!? solely out on you and I apologise.
Keep getting the gigs mate.

Eat.Sleep.Race.Repeat.

Apologies for the slight detour-

This is coming from another photographer, but are you seriously, like actually comparing video game 'photography' engines to actual real world equivalents? That's actually fantastic. Now I've seen it all.

GTPlanet has SOO many subforums dedicated to things that aren't in any video game - sometimes I forget that the 'GT' is in the name for a reason. The fact that these photos are posted on a forum dedicated to a video game doesn't detract from their integrity and it doesn't mean ANY of us post them to receive 'gushing praise' (gushing is also a bit strong - I've dabbled in the photomode corner of the GT community and 'gushing' is really one of the only words I can use to describe it - lovely people though) - it means we are showing them to other photographers and anyone interested to give some feedback. I feel your point that video games do it better just displays a rather incredible lack of understanding of photography as a practice - the two are not really the same...

Some key differences between the two:

• The lighting in a game is constant and perfect, and your 'camera' magically keeps the same exposure (roughly, but roughly enough) - it is not an issue the user has to worry about - there are no need for flashes or lighting trickery because everything is done for you
  • There are waaaaay less external factors to worry about in a game - people, imperfections, dust spots, environmental factors etc etc etc
  • You can basically move where ever you wish within a computer game, giving you angles and capturing the subject in motion in a way that you simply couldn't achieve in real life. You have ultimate control over the subject and environment
  • Every setting in the game's 'camera' is synthesised, which means ultimately it acts and changes in a way thats not entirely unrealistic - aperture, shutter speed, ISO, all of it is just a bit of coding somewhat mimicking effects experienced in the real world
  • There are no accidental or bad shots in a game - you freeze time and can reshoot the same scenario again and again
There is a triumph when you get a good shot in real life - when you shoot something in a photograph, you are recording an actual real-life item (regardless if you photoshop said photo) - in GT6 it's all man made. You might as well render the whole thing from scratch instead of going to the hassle of creating a video game around it and 'driving' the car around the 'track' until its in the perfect position. Kaz even said one time or another that the environmental factors in GT games today look too good to be real. Product photography for major automotive brands these days are usually 100% cgi and that's to display their product in an environment and in a manner that is simply unachievable in everyday life, but making that shift unnoticeable to someone who browses over it; Hyperrealism, if you like. Photos record real life objects and events and this is why there is a huge market for them - some dude overly obsessed with his car doesn't want cgi images someone has created, he wants to pay someone to take actual photos of it (regardless of how photoshopped they are, because most things are these days). And if EVO move to make all of the photos in their publication cgi off video games, I'll eat my laptop.

I'm not discrediting the practice of 'photography' in GT6 and other games - they are a great way to play around with visual concepts such as composition, playing around with scenarios not achieved in real life and brushing up on photoshop skills. But discrediting photography because someone you follow takes some rad images on a video game just oozes pungent amounts of ignorance.

I'm sure there are a million points I've missed, but anyway..

-------------------------

Apologies again, @DaehlateM ...

As for your stuff - multiple exposures aren't really my thing but I can certainly appreciate the effort in them. Really digging the more natural atmospheric stuff though. 👍

No worries!!!

Had zero room to explore with this one on Saturday. Literally pulled the car forward in the show room in between rows, there was a car immediately in front and behind. Finally getting the hang of my new light painting 'rig'. I do love creating my own light!

These are a testament to the Rokinon 35mm. Unbelievably sharp.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what would a lighting rig look like? Whenever I am tasked with shooting a car at night, I resort to multiple test fires off a speedlight behind a softbox that I walk around the car with - its more hitting the car rather than uniformly painting it in like some people do, but I can't seem to get a good effect using a regular torch...

I've had good results with a softbox and a bright LED flashlight inside it. I now use a dimmable/color temp adjustable LED video light. Pricey but compact.

Light painting is an art, its tough to nail. When you do get good at it, the results are simply stunning.

Last edited:
I think your pictures are excellent... This style definitely sells and there are really only maybe 1 or 2 picture I don't particularly care for.

I aspire to become good enough at photography and editing someday to have pictures at this level.

Back