Journal of '24H of Nürburgring' - Chaparral 2D '67

• Thread starter Welsh-Fury
  • 86 comments
I'm wondering how far ahead the Ford Mach IV was to the Corvette Z06. I'm a real big fan of these sort of "class rivalry" sort of things, even though i'm sure the 2 have nothing to do with each other in real life. It would also be interesting to see how a stock 2D fares with the other old race cars.

I'm wondering how far ahead the Ford Mach IV was to the Corvette Z06. I'm a real big fan of these sort of "class rivalry" sort of things, even though i'm sure the 2 have nothing to do with each other in real life. It would also be interesting to see how a stock 2D fares with the other old race cars.

Currently, I'm not sure how the Corvette and Mark IV are fairing against each other, but at the end of the race, I can check any time/lap difference between the two.

i think so, as there aren't any restrictions... though that would be a really really boring race

...not if you use the glitch,make 600 laps in 1 hour and then go to bed for the rest of the race...

SUBSCRIBED 👍

HN7
Does the AI runs the same lap time at night as they do during daytime?

Actually, no. They pick up the pace about 5-10 seconds each. I used to have to run 8:10 laps to keep up with the LeMans/LMP cars, but now I'm having a hard time keeping pace with the 8:00 times they're mustering out.

what happened to the rest of the race? lol, it's been 2 days and nothing updated.

Well, no reportable event has happened yet. I doubt you guys will like, "I raced, lapped a car, and the track is dark." for the past few updates. When something happens, like rain, I get passed, or someone's barbecue set Nur on fire, I'll let you guys know. ^_^

Lap 48
6 hours, 35 minutes

Track is now completely black. Can't see anything behind me beyond the the little my tail lights light up. Sky is still slightly visible, like the difference between sky and clouds. I'm also noticing a great increase in the AI and my lap times these past several laps. Set a new "Best Lap" of 7:48.551 from this, but only putting on a few seconds from second place. Would anyone know of any hidden update that would give cars a little more edge when the sun goes down?

When the sun goes down the air gets cooler, letting the engine, brakes work better. It happens in real racing all the time :sly:

^ Seeing as Kaz-san would like to say that GT5 is extremely realistic, I think this may be the case.

^ yes but, what about the decrease in traction due to the cooler track surface?

That's what the option "Real" track surface/edging option is for.. if you select low the track will barely change temp and slipperiness if rainy or whatever. and grass is also a whole lot slippery with this option turned on. its awesome how Kaz is a perfectionist.. he put all this minor details in to make this game a real sim..
EDIT: I subbed and hope you place well in the 24H. im thinking of doing it in the Peugeot 908, will it be too easy you think?

Last edited:
I gonna run the LM 24, staring tonite and will put grip to real to check it out.

@Welsh-Fury, any new update on your progress? Curious as to how you are getting on with the Chap.

pretty sure that cooler track temperatures increases traction
hahaha nope. I'll put it simply. a colder track temperature means the track doesn't heat up the tires thus having less grip. Now i just thought of something. if the track temp is only changed on tracks with weather change and time change. they would be only really change (or have the most significant change) in a race that has weather change and time change. right?

EDIT: I subbed and hope you place well in the 24H. im thinking of doing it in the Peugeot 908, will it be too easy you think?

I don't know how skilled you are in GT5, but a 908 in my hands would make the race too easy for me. Perhaps a LM/GT car that ranges around 600hp should make the race interesting all the way through.

@Welsh-Fury, any new update on your progress? Curious as to how you are getting on with the Chap.

Couldn't get any time in Friday, but since the weekend is here, I should get some 3-5 hours through today and Sunday.

I don't know how skilled you are in GT5, but a 908 in my hands would make the race too easy for me. Perhaps a LM/GT car that ranges around 600hp should make the race interesting all the way through.
I can go faster around the nurburgring then real race car drivers can. like i did the Nissan GT-R challenge in 7:16 and my favorite lap time is my Dodge Viper ACR real life record 7:22.1 in-game 7:05.2 (stock). so i consider my skills to be good. so i think I'm at par with you in terms of skill. so what would you recommend that would guarantee a win but still be a close fight till the end. I'm going to do it in probably 25 hours... so im not taking much breaks and im going to do this sort of thing as well.
Thanks.

You could always take one of your favorite cars and knock down the horse power until your laps are about 8:10.000 to guarantee a close race till the end.

hahaha nope. I'll put it simply. a colder track temperature means the track doesn't heat up the tires thus having less grip. Now i just thought of something. if the track temp is only changed on tracks with weather change and time change. they would be only really change (or have the most significant change) in a race that has weather change and time change. right?

I don't think the game really takes the track and tire temperatures in to consideration. If it did i don't see any reason for PD not to show the tire temperatures to the player so he could do informed tuning decisions.

OT: Good luck with the race! I hope i can one day have a 24 hours of Nürburgring party. Planning to do it in one session with aid of some friends. :)

You could always take one of your favorite cars and knock down the horse power until your laps are about 8:10.000 to guarantee a close race till the end.
ah yes good suggestion... the peugeot 908 is about a 7:30 on the 24H course for me.. i wanna use my F10 LOL that would be awesome.

I don't think the game really takes the track and tire temperatures in to consideration. If it did i don't see any reason for PD not to show the tire temperatures to the player so he could do informed tuning decisions.

OT: Good luck with the race! I hope i can one day have a 24 hours of Nürburgring party. Planning to do it in one session with aid of some friends. :)

PD has put it in-game mate.. I got a friend of mine to confirm as i dont have my ps3 at the moment... but it's in there.. he felt the track was slippery at night... plus you know trail mountain and the corners with the yellow painted lines on the inside? ya well have you ever gone into the corner and all the sudden it felt slippery and you were sliding. that's because of the paint.. they modeled that in as well as tire temp and how the air temp affects the car at night the car have a power boost because the colder air has a effect similar to a cold air intake in that cold air can be ignited better maybe, i just thought of that, but i do know it makes the engine run better. So you see this game is much more a sim then you think...

PD has put it in-game mate.. I got a friend of mine to confirm as i dont have my ps3 at the moment... but it's in there.. he felt the track was slippery at night... plus you know trail mountain and the corners with the yellow painted lines on the inside? ya well have you ever gone into the corner and all the sudden it felt slippery and you were sliding. that's because of the paint.. they modeled that in as well as tire temp and how the air temp affects the car at night the car have a power boost because the colder air has a effect similar to a cold air intake in that cold air can be ignited better maybe, i just thought of that, but i do know it makes the engine run better. So you see this game is much more a sim then you think...

That explains more than enough. Glad you mentioned that (:

And this thread is absolutely amazing, I plan to keep an eye on it until it's over

cold air provides more power because it is denser than hot air. There is more oxygen in cooler air etc, creating more power during combustion.

As for the grip of a track at night. Unless the temperature drops significantly, the grip will not be overly affected. The heat generated by the friction of tires running over it constantly at 100+ mph will make the track take several hours to cool down quite a bit. Unless we are talking about a 50 F day turning into a 20 F night, it'll cool down pretty quickly. But for instance a 75 F day and 60 F night the cars/tires will keep the heat of the track up nicely.

Just some randomness for your day. Like animals in the winter time. 2 things attract them to roads. It's warmer than snow covered grass, and the salt tastes delicious.

Back