June "Car of the Month" - The Forgotten V6s!!

It toke me a wile to post the tune, last week I was at Le Mans 24H that event is so great 👍:):)👍 I leave 1 hour by train and it was my first time so dummy I'm :banghead:🤬

For the tune as I said I toke Peugeot 406 Coupé 3.0 V6 '98 and Xantia 3.0i V6 Exclusive '00 1 300kg 300hp to chek and in my opinion the Peugeot is better I believe it is because of the Distribution. So I chose only this one for this COTM.

Peugeot-406-Coupé-3.0-V6-98.png

Last edited:
mgo
It toke me a wile to post the tune, last week I was at Le Mans 24H that event is so great 👍:):)👍 I leave 1 hour by train and it was my first time so dummy I'm :banghead:🤬

For the tune as I said I toke Peugeot 406 Coupé 3.0 V6 '98 and Xantia 3.0i V6 Exclusive '00 1 300kg 300hp to chek and in my opinion the Peugeot is better I believe it is because of the Distribution. So I chose only this one for this COTM.

👍

In the words of Bjork, Its oh so quiet. :) Has anyone tried any of the tunes in this thread as yet? If I get some time between uni assignment and FITT, I will try and review a couple but I can't make any promises at the moment.

Peugeot 406 Coupe

450pp, CS/SH, ABS 1

Silverstone International Circuit_23.jpg

292bhp
1320Kg 61:39
37kgfm

Wheels: +1 Rays CE28N
Tyres: CS,SH

A bit of an experiment with reversed springs, this one:

Full custom suspension
RH: 105 95
Spring Rate: 5.30 6.40
Damper Comp: 3 4
Damper Ext: 5 2
ARB: 3 5
Camber 0.0 0.5
Toe: -0.10 0.05

Racing Brakes
BB 4 6

Power
Engine Stage 1
CPU
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Manifold
Cat
Intake

Limiter 100 %

Triple plate clutch

Full custom Diff'
Initial: 9
Accel: 16
Brake: 5

Weight reduction: Stage 3, Bonnet, Windows
Ballast 67Kg @ 50

Full custom Trans:

Set Final 5.5000
Max speed 143 mph
1st 3.023
2nd 2.139
3rd 1.608
4th 1.263
5th 1.037
6th 0.890

Final 3.400

(and the right picture :dopey:)

Tests:

Peugeot 406 450pp/SH (@shaunm80, @Bowtie-muscle, woodski_427)

First up, I got carried away with the 406 and tried out the 500pp seasonal at Silverstone International, with stock, my own and Shaun's tune, then I tried the Ascari 450pp FF TT.

Silverstone Int 500pp
stock 9th 7:51.493
Woodski 1st 7:08.030 BL 1:18.5 vs 25th Anniv Countach
@shaunm80 1st 7:10.340 BL 1:18.6 vs 25th Anniv Countach (ran wide on final lap)

Ascari TT 450 FF
woodski 2:27.920
@shaunm80 2:28.625

Obviously the stock car was underpowered for the 500pp race, but the 450pp tunes were well up to the job of taking on the 500pp AI, but not close to achieving gold in the TT.

Then I introduced @Bowtie-muscle 's car and did 10 laps at Cape Ring South in each.

All tunes, felt a big improvement over stock, nothing between them in acceleration and speed and the times very were close at Silverstone and Ascari. The cars are still front heavy and require careful corner entry and throttle control in the corner. They are still about watching the understeer.

At Cape Ring, of the three I felt it harder to carry speed through the corners with Shaun's tune - maybe it's more of a slow-in drive than I normally manage :lol:.

I thought Bowtie's weight-watching no-ballast method gave great traction and very little wheelspin out of the slow corners, and even with a bit of negative rear toe was still stable under braking.

I was a bit surprised that I couldn't catch my own tune times at Cape Ring :boggled:, if only by a few tenths. I did struggle a bit with braking and getting good speed through some corners with Shaun's car; Bowtie's felt great and was close, but I just couldn't go as fast through the esses as with mine, however I would say Bowtie's car is superior in the high speed sections.

Cape Ring South_5.jpg

Cape Ring South, SH

Woodski 1:28.362
Bowtie 1:28.712
Shaun 1:29.576

Last edited:
Thanks for the review 👍. I left it front heavy for that exact reason, better grip. Plus, when I added weight to the rear to try and help rotation, the felt heavier and slower:confused:. Without the ballast, it does suffer a bit on entry and midcorner on the slower corners. But I felt it improved the car on higher speed corners. Makes track selection a bit more critical but...

I should be getting to these tunes soon. :dunce:

Tests:

Xantia 450pp/SH (@shaunm80, woodski_427)

Vectra 450pp/SH (@sinof1337, @shaunm80, @Bowtie-muscle)

Not many takers for the Xantia :lol:. Not entirely unsurprising as in stock form this is the bottom of pile: it doesn't want to rev with long gearing, and feels pretty soggy with bad understeer. The Vectra on the other hand was top-dog, with over three seconds on the Citreon in my Cape Ring South test.

As with the 406, I struggled a bit with @shaunm80's cars on this track: Although they have a good feel, I couldn't get the speed through the corners and found that braking was a bit longer than other cars. More time was spent running wide than with other tunes. Had a bit of wheelspin, but I do note that Shauns tunes are for TC 1. I suspect these cars would be happier on a more open track.

Cape Ring South_3.jpg

@sinof1337 Vectra - felt pretty good through the medium-pace esses section, but suffered a bit in the faster corners of the final sector. It was OK in the hairpins, but I had to watch wheelspin on the exit.

Then I ran @Bowtie-muscle's Vectra: this was instantly tighter, and really good under the brakes. No issues in the esses (unlike the 406), no wheelspin coming out of the tight hairpins and again great through the high speed section.

Cape Ring South_10.jpg

Cape Ring South, SH

Xantia
Woodski......1:28.953
Shaunm80...1.30.153 (should be appr 0.5 less - I ran wide in the final hairpin on a faster lap)

Vectra
Bowtie (Opel)...1:28.148 (should be <1:28 again ran wide in the final hairpin on a faster lap)
Sin (Opel)........1:28.839
Shaun (VX)......1:29.575

Edit: updated the leaderboard.

Assuming Shaun's Xantia time should be 1:29.6, I have got remarkably consistent times in all three cars so far!

Last edited:
mgo

Can I just make sure that you are NOT using a custom differential?

Tests:

Not many takers for the Xantia :lol:. Not entirely unsurprising as in stock form this is the bottom of pile: it doesn't want rev with long gearing, and feels pretty soggy with bad understeer. The Vectra on the other hand was top-dog, with over three seconds on the Citreon in my Cape Ring South test.

As with the 406, I struggled a bit with @shaunm80's cars on this track: Although they have a good feel, I couldn't get the speed through the corners and found that braking was a bit longer than other cars. More time was spent running wide than with other tunes. Had a bit of wheelspin, but I do note that Shauns tunes are for TC 1. I suspect these cars would be happier on a more open track.

View attachment 391237

@sinof1337 Vectra - felt pretty good through the medium-pace esses section, but suffered a bit in the faster corners of the final sector. It was OK in the hairpins, but I had to watch wheelspin on the exit.

Then I ran @Bowtie-muscle's Vectra: this was instantly tighter, and really good under the brakes. No issues in the esses (unlike the 406), no wheelspin coming out of the tight hairpins and again great through the high speed section.

View attachment 391238

Cape Ring South, SH

Xantia
Shaunm80...1.30.153 (should be appr 0.5 less - I ran wide in the final hairpin on a faster lap)

Vectra
Bowtie (Opel)...1:28.148 (should be <1:28 again ran wide in the final hairpin on a faster lap)

Assuming Shaun's Xantia time should be 1:29.6, I have got remarkably consistent times in all three cars so far!
Some good and close lap times there 👍

Tests:

Peugeot 406 450pp/SH (@shaunm80, @Bowtie-muscle, woodski_427)

First up, I got carried away with the 406 and tried out the 500pp seasonal at Silverstone International, with stock, my own and Shaun's tune, then I tried the Ascari 450pp FF TT.

Silverstone Int 500pp
stock 9th 7:51.493
Woodski 1st 7:08.030 BL 1:18.5 vs 25th Anniv Countach
@shaunm80 1st 7:10.340 BL 1:18.6 vs 25th Anniv Countach (ran wide on final lap)

Ascari TT 450 FF
woodski 2:27.920
@shaunm80 2:28.625

Obviously the stock car was underpowered for the 500pp race, but the 450pp tunes were well up to the job of taking on the 500pp AI, but not close to achieving gold in the TT.

Then I introduced @Bowtie-muscle 's car and did 10 laps at Cape Ring South in each.

All tunes, felt a big improvement over stock, nothing between them in acceleration and speed and the times very were close at Silverstone and Ascari. The cars are still front heavy and require careful corner entry and throttle control in the corner. They are still about watching the understeer.

At Cape Ring, of the three I felt it harder to carry speed through the corners with Shaun's tune - maybe it's more of a slow-in drive than I normally manage :lol:.

I thought Bowtie's weight-watching no-ballast method gave great traction and very little wheelspin out of the slow corners, and even with a bit of negative rear toe was still stable under braking.

I was a bit surprised that I couldn't catch my own tune times at Cape Ring :boggled:, if only by a few tenths. I did struggle a bit with braking and getting good speed through some corners with Shaun's car; Bowtie's felt great and was close, but I just couldn't go as fast through the esses as with mine, however I would say Bowtie's car is superior in the high speed sections.

View attachment 391064

Cape Ring South, SH

Woodski 1:28.362
Bowtie 1:28.712
Shaun 1:29.576
Thanks for the review. I agree with your review about my tune. Really close in terms of time though. 1 second between all three. That is good driving!
Tests:

Not many takers for the Xantia :lol:. Not entirely unsurprising as in stock form this is the bottom of pile: it doesn't want to rev with long gearing, and feels pretty soggy with bad understeer. The Vectra on the other hand was top-dog, with over three seconds on the Citreon in my Cape Ring South test.

View attachment 391237

View attachment 391238

Cape Ring South, SH

Xantia

Vectra

oh yes, my Chrome edition Xantia. The paint is probably the best thing about this tune.. I couldn't get a balance out of this car so I plumped for something semi drivable. My Vauxhall vectra is pretty much a one line car, get the right line and it feels okay, go offline, it will understeer quite badly. This is why FF cars are not my forte in terms of tuning. I can never get the rear loose enough (on most of them) to make them decent.

Great set of times yet again. Many thanks for the reviews. :)

Some good and close lap times there 👍

Thanks for the review. I agree with your review about my tune. Really close in terms of time though. 1 second between all three. That is good driving!

oh yes, my Chrome edition Xantia. The paint is probably the best thing about this tune.. I couldn't get a balance out of this car so I plumped for something semi drivable. My Vauxhall vectra is pretty much a one line car, get the right line and it feels okay, go offline, it will understeer quite badly. This is why FF cars are not my forte in terms of tuning. I can never get the rear loose enough (on most of them) to make them decent.

Great set of times yet again. Many thanks for the reviews. :)

It's a good test this one, I'm quite liking the track.

They are tricky cars for sure, little on the way of natural rotation and big on understeer. The tunes are pretty close and none are really bad :lol:.

You will be pleased to hear, @shaunm80, that I didn't have the same issues with the next car :dopey:.

It's a good test this one, I'm quite liking the track.

They are tricky cars for sure, little on the way of natural rotation and big on understeer. The tunes are pretty close and none are really bad :lol:.

You will be pleased to hear, @shaunm80, that I didn't have the same issues with the next car :dopey:.
I am pleased to hear that. I like the other two cars I tuned up :) I didnt find the last three much fun but the Alfa and the Bora.. Now they were nice choices for this month.

Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 '03

Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity

Custom Wing - D/H/J height: -5 width: +8
Wheels 1inch up (Enkei JS-M)

Paint: Chassis-Imperial Green Metallic; wheels-Noir étoilé; calipers-Gold Chrome; wing-Imperial Green Metallic

Weight red.: Stage 3; Carbon hood; window weight red.
Downforce rear-20
Ballast-20kg
position-50

Engine-Stage3;Sports-Computer;Sports Exhaust,Isom.-Manifold;Catalyst;Intake
Power Limiter 98,0%

Suspension:
100/90
7,56/5,37
3/3
3/3
3/3
1,5/3,3
-0,10/0,00

Brakes (Racing)
4/8

Transmission:
Final 5,000 (maybe 4,500, been a while...)
Top 180km/h (112mph)
1. 3,585
2. 2,655
3. 2,060
4. 1,670
5. 1,415
6. 1,200
Final 2,250

LSD 5/17/5

Twin-Plate Clutch

Sports Hard (or any)

500PP (Yes, I know it's supposed to be 450^^)
291kW/6.000rpm
1220kg
62:38 w.d.
508Nm/4.800 rpm

I used: G27 stock; Steering/FFB settings: 6/3/3 ABS 10 and TC 1 (off OK with any tyre)
Car has ~800km driven; body rigidity starts to deteriorate

Fastest Lap Nordschleife 7:05,332 (Race Soft, TC off, online race, grid of 6) Jan. 11th, 2015
When setting the trans, start with final of 4.500. It works, 5.000 does not.

@shaunm80, @Woodski_427 , @sinof1337 , @mgo , @danlimski , @Flaco13

My apologies, very busy month at home and work, very little play time and most has been spent with the current FITT challenge as co-host. Most of my time on GT6 has not been spent actually driving but I have managed to review 1 car from each of you and shall be posting a review within the next day or two. Thanks for joining in, and if time permits, I will try and do some more. I have not forgotten this thread, just been crushed lately.

@shaunm80, @Woodski_427 , @sinof1337 , @mgo , @danlimski , @Flaco13

My apologies, very busy month at home and work, very little play time and most has been spent with the current FITT challenge as co-host. Most of my time on GT6 has not been spent actually driving but I have managed to review 1 car from each of you and shall be posting a review within the next day or two. Thanks for joining in, and if time permits, I will try and do some more. I have not forgotten this thread, just been crushed lately.

I've done all the 450pp cars now, just need to write up.

@shaunm80

VW Bora V6 4Motion '01 Review

I really like the old volks, like the Sambabus, the Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Kubelwagen, and also some of their more recent offerings like the Golf and Scirocco, but this.. :grumpy: .. ( looking for the right word ) ... sight pollution :D should never have been marketed, the design team has plenty of direct competition from the other German makes, how can they even think of putting this in the sales room :scared:. I'm not going to wish they were fired but a few good hits :banghead: with a steel ruler on the hands (or head) surely won't hurt the way they design things :mischievous:. ( Might make them draw something original )

Fortunately for us we have people who can make us forget we are driving an abomination on 4 wheels and that once your inside and can't see how it looks you can actually enjoy some fun driving.

I took it for a spin on the Intermediate - Matterhorn Dristelen. It was quite fun, I had completely forgotten what it was like to drive cars that you can push really hard ( Been racing only with no aids & fast tire/fuel wear), so the change of pace was pleasing. Throttle control is a no issue as is the handling. It holds the road rock steady, it does retain some characteristics of 4WD, but that's not a complaint, especially on this track that has a bit of slip factor. I did take off the TC1, out of curve acceleration was great, transmission seemed to almost always keep me in the power band ( it did struggle going up the hill a bit), braking I found was maybe a bit excessive but that comes from using no abs a lot.

For 7 minutes and 2 seconds you made me forget I was in a recycled tin can and that is a feat in itself :bowdown:. On the negative side I really didn't like the engine sound :eek: , since you tuned it you are held responsible for the noise pollution it gave, you'll probably get a summons from the INPF ( International Noise Pollution Federation ) since one of their agents was going to give me a fine, I had the quick reflex to point out that this car belonged to you ;).
:cheers:

@shaunm80

VW Bora V6 4Motion '01 Review

I really like the old volks, like the Sambabus, the Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Kubelwagen, and also some of their more recent offerings like the Golf and Scirocco, but this.. :grumpy: .. ( looking for the right word ) ... sight pollution :D should never have been marketed, the design team has plenty of direct competition from the other German makes, how can they even think of putting this in the sales room :scared:. I'm not going to wish they were fired but a few good hits :banghead: with a steel ruler on the hands (or head) surely won't hurt the way they design things :mischievous:. ( Might make them draw something original )

Fortunately for us we have people who can make us forget we are driving an abomination on 4 wheels and that once your inside and can't see how it looks you can actually enjoy some fun driving.

I took it for a spin on the Intermediate - Matterhorn Dristelen. It was quite fun, I had completely forgotten what it was like to drive cars that you can push really hard ( Been racing only with no aids & fast tire/fuel wear), so the change of pace was pleasing. Throttle control is a no issue as is the handling. It holds the road rock steady, it does retain some characteristics of 4WD, but that's not a complaint, especially on this track that has a bit of slip factor. I did take off the TC1, out of curve acceleration was great, transmission seemed to almost always keep me in the power band ( it did struggle going up the hill a bit), braking I found was maybe a bit excessive but that comes from using no abs a lot.

For 7 minutes and 2 seconds you made me forget I was in a recycled tin can and that is a feat in itself :bowdown:. On the negative side I really didn't like the engine sound :eek: , since you tuned it you are held responsible for the noise pollution it gave, you'll probably get a summons from the INPF ( International Noise Pollution Federation ) since one of their agents was going to give me a fine, I had the quick reflex to point out that this car belonged to you ;).
I don't think my licence and registration are updated as yet so I may not get these summons any time soon. If they come through the post though, ill promptly file them in the bin where they (and this car apparently..) belong.

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the tune for this car. It is one of the better cars in this selection and I am glad it was in here. I know what to do with 4WD cars, FF cars on the other hand. can be hit or miss :)

@sinof1337
Opel Vectra 3.2 V6 '03 ( 450PP ) Review

Don't worry I'm not going to give you a challenge, especially not in rain conditions :lol:. I must be feeling a bit sick because I'm starting to find that these cars look OK :odd:. So let's get on with it, took the car to Intermediate - Matterhorn Seasonal. Since I have a history of banging up your cars and you are use to it we'll cut all the politically correct typing and get to the nitty-gritty.

a) Traction, grip or whatever you want to call it this has plenty of it on CS, the only problem arises when you think it can take all corners at full speed, of course it can't but it does hug the road with a passionate embrace.

b) Out of curve acceleration, I didn't notice it, so you know what that means? 👍

c) Braking, I find it the weak link in the car, feels like you just put on the racing brakes after tuning it and went on to other things ;), something is bothering me but I can't put my [] on it :lol:.

d) Transmission, I love and hate it, what I love is the sheer fast pace acceleration, what I don't like is all the down shifting you have to do for slow hairpin curves and having to use 4 gears for short stretches. So it's going to be very dependent on the track that is selected, and of course the driver :eek:.

e) Turning, Rotation etc, to get some real fast rotation this car responds well to off throttle with one gear lower, the downside is going back up the gears come in at a fast pace and you need to be attentive. Driven normally it's 👍.

These cars make me think of in the days we had 45 rpm records (vinyls), You had the hit on the A side and a filler song on the B side. It's never going to be an M3 but it sure got to be a good B side. 👍

Quick reviews:

@Woodski_427 had an idea for featuring some forgotten, heavy (and not the most appealing) V6 Euro cars. And I must say, some of these can be quite surprising if driven on the right track. And there have been some interesting tunes submitted, but I have had limited time and still wanted to get to each tuner.
So I used the previous Seasonal at Rome for several cars along with a time trial run at Brands Hatch GP. Now I also tuned each of the cars with the exception of the Xantia (ran out of time), but will not be comparing my own tunes. So here goes the first of three reviews.

First up, @mgo and his 406 Coupe. Tuned on CS tires, so I ran them at the Rome Seasonal. My impression of the tune was surprisingly nimble for standard LSD (more on that later). I managed to win easily while noticing some exit understeer and an amount of grip that really carried the tune through the course. The brakes were really good unless you pushed the issue and broke late. Most of this a attributed to the CS tires. Best lap was 1:25.694
So a quick tire change and a fast session at Brands on SH tires. Not bad on standard LSD for most of the track, first hairpin had some understeer on exit and wheel spin but I was able to fix with the throttle and exit line. The rest of the track was a breeze, and it really liked the extra grip from the SH tires. Brakes were better but harder to judge turn 1 was they slowed the car faster than expected. Once I got the tune down, the time improved and I finished with a best of 1:43.749. What I thought was not bad for a heavy car. Being able to stretch it's legs and open up really favored this tune, and I found it quite enjoyable.

Next up was Woodski and his Xantia (I wanted to mix it up a little). Having not tuned this one and only trying it with a base tune, I was curious to see how it would compare. So of to Rome, where I found it better than expected. The tune had amazing mid-corner grip making the faster turns easier to handle, and easy to win by a big margin. On CS tires, it was close to the time I put up with @mgo's 406, but just a tad slower at 1:25.800.
So I was looking forward to it at Brands Hatch on SH tires. I did think it needed a bit more final gear so I decided to change it to 3.250. Well, I probably should have left it alone. Might have been too much of a change, still, better on the tires with extra grip and the handling did not disappoint. That is, as long as I got the entry correct. Unfortunately, this car is just slower than the others and feels heavier. The tune was great for it, but no match for the others I suspect. Best lap was 1:44.067. Which is actually not too far off. :dopey:

How about a Vectra? This one to me was the car to beat of the field, seemed to have better grip and mobility than the others. So up next let's see how @sinof1337 did with it shall we. Off to Rome on CS tires. This tune was great, loved to rotate in mid-high speed corners making you feel like the car was lighter than it is. Off the throttle this thing turned fantastic, on throttle however, there is a hint of exit understeer. Not surprising so not a big deal. The race went by so fast I almost forgot to pay attention to the lap time. 1:25.337.
So I was now expecting big things at Brands on grippier tires. Well, most of the exit understeer was gone and of course the grip was better. Not much else to say, it did what you asked and then asked for your approval. PD gave it a little more love than the others I think. The only issue was my lap time, which should have been better, but the best was 1:43.072. Nice job.

And now for what was supposed to be the final test, another 450pp tune but this time from @shaunm80. But which, the Bora seemed wrong being 4wd, so why not give the Xantia another run. I know I know, the Alfa gets some love later, be patient :dunce:.
So off to Rome one more time, and this was again no surprise as it felt like a tune from Exeter. Off throttle this thing rotated wonderful, with a hint of exit understeer. I did find a corner or two where if I was off my line, I might have to lift mid-corner on a normal flat out corner. But the lap time did not seem to suffer as a best of 1:25.721 was the result.
But could it improve at Brands? Yes and no. Better grip, better rotation but the front brakes were also grabbing better. If I did not get my braking zone correct, the front tires lit up and slid. Get them right however, and the car settled nicely into the corner setting up a better exit. The best lap however, was the fault of the driver not quite putting the best lap together. A 1:44.705 :ouch: Not a bad tune at all and deserving a better time.

So now @mgo posts his LSD settings :banghead::banghead::banghead:, ok so I have to be fair and give it another try don't I? But the Rome Seasonal is now gone, so only a run at Brands on SH tires. Immediately I remembered the tune, and felt it was now improved. Exit understeer in the the first hairpin? No, not much at all. In fact, the car even seems to be light than I remember it feeling but perhaps that was just me. This is just a really good tune with plenty of grip, good ability to change direction and really good all around. But amazingly, the best time did not drop as much as expected :boggled:, best lap was 1:43.455.

Oh well, I am enjoying it enough to take a trip over to Cape Ring and earn a few credits. Easily took down a slow NSX rabbbit and ran away from him. Maybe a little more turning ability was needed for the long sweeping left hander but it could have been my line. Also, at this track I found late braking for turn 1 was not a good idea. But overall, I really liked this tune. And it might be closer to the Vectra then I originally thought.;)

In review:

Rome (CS) -
Sinof1337 - 1:25.337
mgo - 1:25.694
shaunm80 - 1:25.721
Woodski_427 - 1:25.800

Brands Hatch GP (SH) -
sinof1337 - 1:43.072
mgo (With LSD) - 1:43.455
mgo (with Standard LSD) - 1:43.749
Woodski_427 - 1:44.067
Shaunm80 - 1:44.705

@Flaco13
Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 '03 500PP SH or any??? Review

First time I review one of your cars, so take what you like about the review and discard what you don't, it's my personal opinion and will reflect my driving style :odd:, if you want to call it that :eek:.

Before I begin there was something that bothered me a bit, this is also addressed to all those who post a tune to be reviewed: when you post a tune, make sure that you enter the appropriate values, mistakes are forgivable but having the reviewer correct your work is not.

Test Track: Seasonal Intermediate - Matterhorn Dristelen

For testing purposes I used ABS/1 , TC/0, SH.

a) Traction/Grip: excellent on SH 👍, the back end does come lose at times :eek: but very easy to manage :P.

b) Out of curve acceleration: Due to the high power of the car it's easy to burn out the tires :cool:, so throttle control is a must, car stays steady in mid and exit, very easy to handle.

c) Braking: Very effective, but I think it's over kill to go with racing brakes, but hey it works well ;).

d) Transmission: :grumpy:, I don't like to have to work out how you did the transmission to get the numbers right,

puni.gif
.... it worked well but I think you could take it to another level.

e) Turning/Rotation : Was good, well maybe a bit more than good considering what you had to work with :scared:.

BTW, when you write something like " SH or ANY " , to me that would mean CH :mischievous:, if I had the time I would have done it but time is something of a rarity these days , :cheers:.

tests

Peugeot 406 (@mgo)
Alfa 166 (@Bowtie-muscle,@shaunm80)
VW Bora (@Bowtie-muscle,@shaunm80,@sinof1337)

Finishing up the 450pp FF cars:

@mgo 406

I really could not get the gears setup on the 406, so I used my own settings. A decent tune for this car, though I wasn't very consistent. Good in the high speed sections and the hairpins, and great traction from the slow corners. I mainly lost a bit of time in the mid-speed section (t3,4) and the transition from the banked right of t2 into the left of t3. Brakes as published were a bit high for the DS3, but easily remedied of course.

MGO 1:28.550

Alfa Romeo 166

The stock Alfa handled pretty well, but was slower than it felt it should be: 4th out of 5 in my original test.

@Bowtie-muscle: Very similar to the 406 I thought, generally good and nice in the fast corners, but couldn't quite get the measure of that right-left-right mid speed section. Gearing was a bit awkward for the track - I found myself a bit in nowhere land on a couple of corners, and couldn't always get trying to get good exits from the slow hairpins. Traction wasn't quite good as other cars out of the hairpins, partly because of using first.

@shaunm80's Alfa, on the other hand could have been setup for this track. Whereas Bowtie stayed with the NA tune and revs, Shaun employed the mid range turbo. This gave an advantage out of the hairpins: I could get a good launch without changing down and without losing traction, and no need for TC here. This was easily the best of Shaun's FF cars - no trouble holding speed through the corners and there is better rotation from the backend. Good under braking under too, so not as much of the time-sapping running wide as I pushed for a time.

3 tenths here but if I was to take Shaun's to a power track I might look at reconfiguring the power to deliver more at higher revs.

Cape Ring South_18.jpg

VW Bora

Now we move to the only 4WD entry. A big grip advantage with the drivetrain in stock form, but not as fast as the Vectra.

Not a lot between the cars again: @sinof1337 and @shaunm80 were quite similar. Good turn-in and grip as expected, watch out for understeer mid-turn and power away on exit. The esses section need care to stay on the line.

There was a bit more rear-end action than I'd been dealing with up until now (:embarrassed::lol:), and some lift-off oversteer fun. Shaun's was a bit looser and if I wasn't careful out of the hairpins I'd be snaking, spinning up the rears. TC isn't necessary though, I just needed to be pointing straight ahead.

I wasn't very consistent with either car - overruning entry or oversteering the slow exits a number of times, but the times were good and nothing in them. With more laps there would more time and I felt @sinof1337 should be a sub 1:28 lap but I just couldn't tease it out.

As with the 406, @Bowtie-muscle's Bora was immediately tighter and more stable in every aspect. Better under brakes than the others and with slightly more torque at the front than the other cars, it helped with grip out of the slow corners.

Stability leads to consistency, and consitency leads to improvement, and Bowties time speaks for itself! Spot-on at this track. However, for a bit of hoonery I'd go out in @shaunm80's Bora, it had more of the fun factor: a bit more lift-off oversteer and just enough to light up the rears a get a bit sideways.

Cape Ring South_17.jpg

Alfa 166
Shaun 1:28.568
Bowtie 1:28.818

Bora
Bowtie 1:27.761
Sin 1:28.215
Shaun 1:28.323

I also ran five laps each of in a couple of 'control' cars for comparison; two of my favourite (if not fastest) 450pp cars:

@Johnnypenso's sweet 83 Silvia 240RS 1:27.527
my own '79 Civic 1500 1:28.297

Last edited:
tests

Peugeot 406 (@mgo)
Alfa 166 (@Bowtie-muscle,@shaunm80)
VW Bora (@Bowtie-muscle,@shaunm80,@sinof1337)

Finishing up the 450pp FF cars:

@mgo 406

I really could not get the gears setup on the 406, so I used my own settings. A decent tune for this car, though I wasn't very consistent. Good in the high speed sections and the hairpins, and great traction from the slow corners. I mainly lost a bit of time in the mid-speed section (t3,4) and the transition from the banked right of t2 into the left of t3. Brakes as published were a bit high for the DS3, but easily remedied of course.

MGO 1:28.550

Alfa Romeo 166

The stock Alfa handled pretty well, but was slower than it felt it should be: 4th out of 5 in my original test.

@Bowtie-muscle: Very similar to the 406 I thought, generally good and nice in the fast corners, but couldn't quite get the measure of that right-left-right mid speed section. Gearing was a bit awkward for the track - I found myself a bit in nowhere land on a couple of corners, and couldn't always get trying to get good exits from the slow hairpins. Traction wasn't quite good as other cars out of the hairpins, partly because of using first.

@shaunm80's Alfa, on the other hand could have been setup for this track. Whereas Bowtie stayed with the NA tune and revs, Shaun employed the mid range turbo. This gave an advantage out of the hairpins: I could get a good launch without changing down and without losing traction, and no need for TC here. This was easily the best of Shaun's FF cars - no trouble holding speed through the corners and there is better rotation from the backend. Good under braking under too, so not as much of the time-sapping running wide as I pushed for a time.

3 tenths here but if I was to take Shaun's to a power track I might look at reconfiguring the power to deliver more at higher revs.

View attachment 396043

VW Bora

Now we move to the only 4WD entry. A big grip advantage with the drivetrain in stock form, but not as fast as the Vectra.

Not a lot between the cars again: @sinof1337 and @shaunm80 were quite similar. Good turn-in and grip as expected, watch out for understeer mid-turn and power away on exit. The esses section need care to stay on the line.

There was a bit more rear-end action than I'd been dealing with up until now (:embarrassed::lol:), and some lift-off oversteer fun. Shaun's was a bit looser and if I wasn't careful out of the hairpins I'd be snaking, spinning up the rears. TC isn't necessary though, I just needed to be pointing straight ahead.

I wasn't very consistent with either car - overruning entry or oversteering the slow exits a number of times, but the times were good and nothing in them. With more laps there would more time and I felt @sinof1337 should be a sub 1:28 lap but I just couldn't tease it out.

As with the 406, @Bowtie-muscle's Bora was immediately tighter and more stable in every aspect. Better under brakes than the others and with a slightly more torque at the front than the others, helped with the grip out of the slow corners.

Stability leads to consistency, and consitency leads to improvement, and Bowties time speaks for itself! Spot-on at this track. However, for a bit of hoonery I'd go out in @shaunm80's Bora, it had more of the fun factor: a bit more lift-off oversteer and just enough to light up the rears a get a bit sideways.

View attachment 396042

Alfa 166
Shaun 1:28.568
Bowtie 1:28.818

Bora
Bowtie 1:27.761
Sin 1:28.215
Shaun 1:28.323

I also ran five laps each of in a couple of 'control' cars for comparison; two of my favourite (if not fastest) 450pp cars:

@Johnnypenso's sweet 83 Silvia 240RS 1:27.527
my own '79 Civic 1500 1:28.297
You found my fun cars. I much preferred the Alfa and the Bora. :) That much is evident for anyone to see from the reviews. Great times and you are showing great consistency with a variety of tunes. Very impressive! Thank you for the reviews.

Back