Just bought GT Sport

South Africa
Bellville, Cape Town
Shayden-CPT
Hi there guys, I just bought myself a PS4 and it came bundled with GT Sport and Uncharted 4 . I know I'm late to the party , I'm always late . But I have it now . So what do I need to know before I put the disc in. You can provide links as well . I know there's a ton of updates waiting for me . So how do I go about them. Same like PS3 GT6 a few updates at a time install. Repeat . Or can the PS4 handle the bulk of the updates provided I have fast,stable internet connection. Been looking forward to this moment for a long time. Finally it's here. Thanks guys. Sorry for the rant

You’ll need all of the updates installed to play the game properly. The game saves over the internet now, and you can’t connect to the internet if you’re not on the latest version of the game. Not only will some sections of the game be locked, you won’t be able to save progress you make. One of a small few but major poor (imo) decisions PD made, but’s it’s a reality now.

You don’t need PS+ to play GTS, only for competitive multiplayer (i.e. Sport Mode and Open Lobby).

Know that you win a LOT of free cars from the campaign modes (primarily Circuit Experience), plus daily marathon rewards. So save your credits early on as you may win one of your desired cars fairly quickly.

When going into Sport Mode (if you use it), know that you’ll need to put in a few races before you start getting matched properly. Everyone starts at the same base rank, and it’s a bit chaotic getting placed correctly. You will definitely have some crazy drivers in your matches the first few times, but once you raise your SR a bit you’ll start seeing a lot more stability ~5 races in.

You get given a free gift car everyday if you drive at least 26.2 miles. Driving twice that distance in one day won't get you another one, so best to drive 26 miles everyday to build up your garage. It's fun first of all, but becomes frustrating when you start getting duplicates.

Circuit experience is a great way to learn the new tracks, & you get gift cars as well for golding them.

Custom Race can be pretty good, especially if you turn off Slow Car Boost etc.

👍

Last edited:
Hi there guys, I just bought myself a PS4 and it came bundled with GT Sport and Uncharted 4 . I know I'm late to the party , I'm always late . But I have it now . So what do I need to know before I put the disc in. You can provide links as well . I know there's a ton of updates waiting for me . So how do I go about them. Same like PS3 GT6 a few updates at a time install. Repeat . Or can the PS4 handle the bulk of the updates provided I have fast,stable internet connection. Been looking forward to this moment for a long time. Finally it's here. Thanks guys. Sorry for the rant

I've had to reinstall the game before sort of recently and had no issue with just letting it download updates. Besides I don't think you can download individual previous updates like you had to in GT6.

I wonder how many updates there are now for a fresh install?

Can you tell us how much / how long it takes?

I don't dare delete DriveClub either since the game on disc is about 10% of the full game!

Fastest way to get money and cars is the track experience. Good to learn the tracks, not that difficult and lots of price money.

I've done this recently (about three months ago) and the day 1 update when you first put the disc in will bring things right up to date. It's probably about 45-50GB.
As said you get a free car for Gold'ing the various circuit experiences. You also get a free car for each line of Driving School and Missions (you don't need Gold for those) so there are plenty of free cars to be had :)

Steve

Hi guys, it took me 9 hours to fully update GT Sport. It was one big install. 43GB if I'm not mistaken. Did it early morning to afternoon . Could have been faster if I did it late at night probably after 12 am. But yeah that's that. Now to enjoy it .

it took me 9 hours to fully update GT Sport.

Wow that’s insane! I hope you can enjoy it now tho. I think the part that took the most time was copying the files after downloading them? After olmost every update the copying of files goes pretty slow... idk if it’s my ps4 or it’s totally normal.

Be sure to check out the Livery Editor (new to GTS). Didn't think I would care but I have ended up spending quite a bit of time personalizing my cars.
Already giving it a try. Not as good as what I've seen here, but I do enjoy making my cars my own and unique

Wow that’s insane! I hope you can enjoy it now tho. I think the part that took the most time was copying the files after downloading them? After olmost every update the copying of files goes pretty slow... idk if it’s my ps4 or it’s totally normal.
You're right about that. That's what seems to take most of the time . But I must say updating GT Sport was easier than I expected it to be. Thought I was gonna struggle and need to resort to tricks to get the updates to install like we had to do in GT6 . Glad it's not that way. It was a nightmare if your game data got corrupted in GT6 and you had to install everything from over . Looking forward to seeing you guys on the track

Yeah I think the days of multiple consecutive updates died with the PS3. Somebody correct me if wrong :)
You are correct . No multiple updates . Just one big install 43.33 GB all together

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, it took me 9 hours to fully update GT Sport. It was one big install. 43GB if I'm not mistaken. Did it early morning to afternoon . Could have been faster if I did it late at night probably after 12 am. But yeah that's that. Now to enjoy it .
That's...no big. :lol:

Although I do admit that the updates really take a large chunk out of the hard drive. It wouldn't be a problem though if it's not filled often and you still have plenty of space there.

That's...no big. :lol:

Although I do admit that the updates really take a large chunk out of the hard drive. It wouldn't be a problem though if it's not filled often and you still have plenty of space there.
Lol coming from a PS3,43GB is plenty big lol. Yeah I knew these PS4 games have big updates was expecting that .

Lol coming from a PS3,43GB is plenty big lol. Yeah I knew these PS4 games have big updates was expecting that .
Lol good thing that Sony did increase the hard drive's capacity to around 1TB already. At 43GB, you could already fit lots of watchable stuffs! Maybe even whole seasons of a single series or a TV show! It's something I've been doing recently. :lol:

Lol good thing that Sony did increase the hard drive's capacity to around 1TB already. At 43GB, you could already fit lots of watchable stuffs! Maybe even whole seasons of a single series or a TV show! It's something I've been doing recently. :lol:
That's true. Glad the hard drives are bigger. But I'm glad it's updated and I'm enjoying GT Sport.

Have you got a penalty for being slammed into a wall yet?

Enjoy.
Not sure I haven't raced against other people yet. Just the AI. I know it's a GT game , but I'd like to get used to the controls first and get a feel of the game first. Before I go take against real people . Don't want to be a bad driver or cause accidents or bump anyone off the track . So Im just getting the feel for now . Hopefully next week I'll join a lobby and see how it goes . I know it's gonna be bad at first because I'm going to get grouped with drivers that don't care how they drive . But after that I'll move up in the rankings and play against drivers that are just like me . Must say GT Planet community is very warm and welcoming . Really . Everybody helped and gave tips as to what to expect and how to go about it.

For driving, the physics are weird. Don't coast or the cars just plow forward and understeer. Key to true pace is trail braking to aid corner entry.

This behavior is influenced by the LSD. Lowering the Initial and Braking variables will fix it. So it’s not a physics issue, just a lousy default setup issue. I haven’t really noticed this myself to be honest, except in the older 911’s which makes sense. No weight over the front wheels.

VBR
You get given a free gift car everyday if you drive at least 26.2 miles. Driving twice that distance in one day won't get you another one, so best to drive 26 miles everyday to build up your garage. It's fun first of all, but becomes frustrating when you start getting duplicates.

Circuit experience is a great way to learn the new tracks, & you get gift cars as well for golding them.

Custom Race can be pretty good, especially if you turn off Slow Car Boost etc.

👍
Circuit Experience is a must if you want to play online and don't want to become a hindrance to everyone.
I'd say go there first, learn the tracks, and then go online.
Don't bother with career mode, unless it's just for the completion percentage and the nice replays.

This behavior is influenced by the LSD. Lowering the Initial and Braking variables will fix it. So it’s not a physics issue, just a lousy default setup issue. I haven’t really noticed this myself to be honest, except in the older 911’s which makes sense. No weight over the front wheels.

I only race SPORT so yes default set up. Coasting is death pace wise, the lack of lift oversteer is also disconcerting if coming from other serious racing games.

Circuit Experience is a must if you want to play online and don't want to become a hindrance to everyone.
I'd say go there first, learn the tracks, and then go online.
Don't bother with career mode, unless it's just for the completion percentage and the nice replays.
Will keep that in mind

Back