Just Ginettas just finishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 231 comments
Ok, quick recap and thougts.

As Paul knows I love multiclass racing so this new concept for a championship struck me as brilliant. We can't (yet) have teams of players racing the same car (that would "explode" our possibilities to multiclass AND endurance (several hours long) races with day and night and variable weather), so this "team" thing Paul came up with is very interesting, making all 3 races count and making us all have our particular battles in the same track and at the same time others have their own.

Now, about the teams, I think Paul knows the group well so I trust whatever teams he comes up with will work just fine. And if at some point we find out that there's some unbalance in the Force ( :P ), whicjh will probably happen anyway, then that's life, we'll all deal with it. Considering the teams as initially proposed, I will guess that Team 3 is the overall strongest, Joe is lightning quick with every car in every track, and both half and beachboy are front of the pack gents when they bother to get some practise in, like half did for BBrae ;)

But teams are always a surprise, much more than any individual driver, so whatever happens during the championship will be interesting to see.

I am more worried (well, not worried really, but wondering a bit about it) with the scoring system. Last night's table is telling of what I think. As it is teams points are calculated by the overall position of each team member in the race. And this means that it is very rewarding for a team to have it's GT5 driver missing from the race. And it will be very damaging for a team to have a race without its GT3 driver (but this isn't as serious, because it's a penalty for a no-show, while in the first case there's a reward for a no-show and I find that completely against the spirit of this).

My suggestion (as always trying to be constructive here and whatever is decided is fine by me) is that the points are given to each driver per class, giving the no-shows last place within their class, regardless of what class that was and therefore equally penalizing teams if the no-show happens with the GT3, GT4 or GT5 driver (for that particular race).

You can see this problem from half's table a few posts above. There's no way a full team can get a 4.5 (or even 6) average finishing position in any given race unless the GT5 driver from that team doesn't enter. I did 1st in class both in my GT4 and GT5 race but just because hartur popped up we could never again replicate that awesome 6-average position from the first (and my worst) race! So, it was good for my team that we didn't have anyone to race the GT5 in the first race.

I tried to make a table, based on half's, that would reflect my proposal to see the effect of it and here goes:

Ginettas3.jpg

(red is for no-shows)

As you can see the results are completely different this way. And I think maybe a bit more just, rewarding all participants by their achievements per class. I leave it as a suggestion but as I said, anything is fine by me, it was all great fun!

Paul regarding hartur I talked to him and next week he won't be able to take part, but he got very interested in taking part after that whenever possible. I guess we can have him as some sort of wild card if and when there are slots available regardless of team? Your call, I will relay whatever you decide to him.

EDIT -

PS - Maybe my table is a bit confusing, I should have kept a column showing overall finishing positions so you guys could validate the class finishing positions I recorded. In any case, if in doubt just go check half's table for overall results per race, I think I got it right but you never know ...

PPS - regarding track limits my position is to keep that penalty off, considering we know and trust each other to at least try to drive properly. I did my best to keep within track boundaries but I misjudged that corner many times, both the entry and the exit. Lack of practise maybe (first time I got there I even turned the opposite way because I didn't have the track memorised yet, I think it was @half_sourly behind me and he got a good laugh witnessing that braindead moment of mine :dopey:

Last edited:
Your call, I will relay whatever you decide to him.
OK, thanks. I'll see what John says and then we might have that balancing reshuffle. Plans are afoot.
(I think reaggee has the idea now so communication isn't quite so crucial)

I'm glad you understand everything @half_sourly. I think I got the gist of it and thought it sounded fair. If you're OK with it I'm certainly OK with it.

While I'm here. I'm changing qualification into a practice period. This will mix up the starting position of the classes for each race. It won't have too much affect since there's only 5 cars per class but will add a bit of variety. The slower guys will always be in a faster car class ahead, so that's not a problem at the start either.
5 mins practice should hopefully be enough to get used to the next car.

Everything might just all be sorted out by next week! Which masochistic came up with this championship idea? :dopey:

Thank god im just a driver!! lol, our team went from finishing joint 1st , to 2nd to 3rd. Maybe have another go at using a calculator, because we haven't come 5th yet.
(I am VERY much only pulling your legs, and having a good chuckle and a read)
Im so glad someone else is sorting it out. Thank you.

What we need to do is... when the chap in the red car gets to within two seconds a lap of the bloke wearing the cap, then he gets 4.5 points to distribute among the team in third place. Then, the team with a dog... Hang on, the nurse has come in... just a sec.

Hello Nursie, what's the syringe for? Are we having a party? Oh, that feels rather weird... See you all latttt......

Here is the revised outcome and the scoring method I will use for the series.
  • OTL = Other the line result
  • CP = Class position
  • Where there is a no-show/ DNS, then that driver's OTL is left blank and his CP is 5th
  • Avg. = Average CP for the 3 team members.
  • I've done away with the secondary ranking, where more than one team has the same Avg. Trust this is okay @IfAndOr; it reduces my manual inputs into the sheet.
  • Rank = Ranking of the 5 teams based on their Avg.
  • Bonus points given for each driver with CP=1, i.e., won their class in that race.
  • I've not shown points per race, just the total.
  • As usual I'll hide most columns for past races and just show the points, to minimise width.
@Hun200kmh the total points in my table are different from yours for team 1 because in your example for race 2 you ranked teams 1 and 2 differently despite them having the same Avg.

Monday Teams.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I was going to give each team random bonus points in the main series, but since you ask so nicely, you can have yours for this practice week. 😏

What about extra points for the 3rd, 7th and 12th fastest laps between 10 and 15 minutes into the race? No? OK then I'll leave that out.

That all looks fine @half_sourly and it does make it fairer. And to your question, anything to make it easier for yourself seems reasonable. We can do without the secondary ranking, over the course of the series it'll probably sort itself out.

I think it might just be the reshuffle of the teams to sort out now. Yay!

Hey, that team name will jinx us! Considering raeggee's PSN and me being an old UB40 fan, I'd like my team to be named Red Wine Racing (RWR for short).

being an old UB40 fan, I'd like my team to be named Red Wine Racing
That's certainly Food For Thought but by My Way Of Thinking there's still Many Rivers To Cross before you're crowned King. Although if you Don't Slow Down and Don't Let It Pass You By you'll get to celebrate with that Red Red Wine.

I don't want you to Dream A Lie because there's still a 1 In 10 chance that Maybe Tomorrow reaggee might be relocated, but If It Happens Again I'll let you know. Please Don't Make Me Cry by complaining.

I must go, there's a rodent in my food preparation area and I'm not sure what to do.

Cheery Oh, Baby.

Thats great paul ... i did this idea in led zeppelin title's for a friend as best man .. the room went quiet when i said very loudly MOBY DICK .. lol

Half could you put a -1 point for any one that hits me ! yes plus 5 if i hit you !

I've updated the team member list to now include hatur, so there's 1 or 2 drivers that have been moved around a little. Bear in mind I'm still waiting for John to let me know if he's joining us. If he does it'll require a further bit of a reshuffle (I'll become the driver for hire again :) )

This week's 1st race will begin with the group A guys in the GT4, the group B in the GT3 and the group C in the GT5. We will then move up 1 class after each race (unless you were at the top, then you will drop to the GT5). So Grp A to GT3, Grp B to GT5 and Grp C to GT4 etc...

It will be a summer setting again, still dry. Each race will begin at the same (virtual) time. And remember it's now a practice period instead of qually.

Get well soon John! :)

Paul, regarding teams, as you know hartur won't be able to race tomorrow (and a couple more of the mondays until the end) so I asked Ricardo (GTP_Rprego) if he could fill in as non-permanent team member and he agreed to it. He did a couple of races yesterday to get back up to speed (with me and Rich) so please count him in for tomorrow and add him to the "invites" list.

Last edited:
Paul everyone, been having mental issues, just now, so get back racing.
When when I'm fit.
Keep working at it John. I know that it can feel like it's a long old road but remember, there is a solution for everyone, and you are the best person to be able to identify what yours is. And when you do, let it in.

So, given the changes to the teams, I've come up with a rather snappy one for the rearranged ClimaxHorizon....

If-Max-and-or-Zolon-Could-Win-That-Would-Be-Helpful.

Really proud of that one.

Last edited:
Seams I am absolutely incopetetive against Group A guys. Can't imagine how you can get theese lap times. I can't deel with theese cars, wheel is so light, like I am drive on cold tyres all the time and don't feel car :(.
Anyway, congrats to all.

Quick recap.

Got three 2nd places, best race by far was the second one (GT3 cars) where I had a 20 minutes-long battle with @Zolon32, always less than a second separating our cars. blundering the chicane (never got it quite right) was my downfall but in any case it was a fun (very) close battle and I don't remember we ever bumping (and of course never a crash). Very good.

Also very impressed with @Saltyjoe90 's pace with the GT5. I already knew the GT5 race would be my weakest and I consider myself lucky to have managed a 2nd place in that race, but Joe was on another level entirely in that car. Best laps don't exactly show it, I think Joe was on average about 1 second faster than anyone else within our group.

Also, great races Ricardo (gtp_rprego), you did very well (one victory and one 2nd place) for someone called in with such short notice. 👍 Pity you got disconnected during the 3rd race but DNFs are also a part of racing, online or with real cars.

Again congratulations Paul for this concept, we get to have 9 races (3*3) every monday and the fact that these 9 races share the same track at the same time makes it even more interesting.

Finally, congrats to the fishy team (this isn't moaning :sly: ) for the early lead in the championship, I hope you don't keep it for long! :D

Last edited:
Back