Just got the Thrustmaster T-GT AND WOW

• Thread starter EvoXFTW
  • 48 comments
Why would putting it to -2 get rid of the lag? Doesn't - make it less sensitive?

Looks like I'll be playing around with this tonight as well. I'm still several seconds of the top pace so I'll take any advantage I can find.

Test it, I tryed the 7 for that value, it slowed the steering input. With -2 wheel and that red dot indicator moves in sync. So does the in game steering wheel in cockpit view

I'd be interested in getting a wheel but they're expensive and the only place I can put one is on a coffee table at knee level.

Test it, I tryed the 7 for that value, it slowed the steering input. With -2 wheel and that red dot indicator moves in sync. So does the in game steering wheel in cockpit view

Interesting. So I tested it. For the record I have an old Logitech Driving Force GT. Anyways, a few nights ago I did 60 laps at Lago Maggiore testing what gr3 car to go with for the next manu series. Anyways, that would have been with controller sensitivity(cs) @ +1. I managed a 1.59.405.

I did the same track, same car just now with cs @ -2 and while I didn't notice it feeling much different it did seem like I was turning into the apexes better. On lap 4 I was into the 1.58's,half a second quicker than after a 60 lap session.

For giggles, I turned cs up to 7 and lap 2 I was into the 1.57's. That was a full second faster that my optimal in the 60 lap session.

I'll definitely keep playing with it whenever I drive. I'm not going to draw a conclusion after 1 test. I could still be faster for a few reasons. It could just be I have a clearer head now. Also since my 60 lap session I ran the reverse circuit which may have helped me learn different approaches to turns like lifting more instead of braking.

Edit: after reading this thought, now that my pace seems better why don't I try with cs back at 1 where I had it originally? So I did and after two laps I was in the 1.56’s......so yea. im not convinced. I think when I did the reverse course I picked up on lifting technique that increased my pace significantly. ill keep playing with though, maybe changing the setting after every session makes me faster, if that's the case I'll be in the 1:40s in no time.

Last edited:
What wheel?

Logitech g29
Was on sale on Amazon so I took a punt. Maybe it is just a bad wheel but I thought £200 was plenty for a fancy controller.

Needless to say it was never worth 200 just to try go a bit faster (which never happened anyway)

Maybe a thrustmaster is way better but at £300+ that's more for the rich and famous, and when you throw reliability into it, I just couldn't warrant the additional spend.

I just don't see myself being much faster anyway, for example last week I did a 2000ish ranked hot lap in Suzuka and finished 1st-3rd in Dr B plenty good enough for a casual gamer who's 40 this year :P

I'd be interested in getting a wheel but they're expensive and the only place I can put one is on a coffee table at knee level.

If your on a budget cheaper wheels are better than no wheel to start off with. You should be able to pick up a good used T-150 for around or under $50.
My good friend @Infineon just bought himself a T-GT after playing on mine and he is selling his T-150 for $50. I think they are $150 new.

Its just something to think about.

Interesting. So I tested it. For the record I have an old Logitech Driving Force GT. ......

Might be the diffrent wheel then?
I’ll try to make some vid on how it works in my set up.

Edit: how do you connect that wheel to gt sport? It's not in the compatible wheels list? That could affect how it works in the game?

Last edited:
Edit: after reading this thought, now that my pace seems better why don't I try with cs back at 1 where I had it originally? So I did and after two laps I was in the 1.56’s......so yea. im not convinced.

Mirroring my testing exactly. After reading this thread I thought that either people are having serious placebo effects or the setting really makes a difference.

The test setup: Logitech G25 and DriveHub so essentially a G29, Autodromo Lago Maggiore GP, my old Ford GT40 that I've driven for 5500 km and know inside out. The "control lap time" was 2'08,780 driven in January.

Controller Sensitivity 0, first five lap run, not particularly good driving: 2'08,940
Controller Sensitivity -2, a three lap run, feeling exactly the same: 2'08,998
Controller Sensitivity +7, a three lap run, still feeling the same but much better driving: 2'08,211

At this point I thought there might be something going on. The car felt the exact same over all three settings though, I just hit the post-hairpin sequence much better in the third run. And to remove the effect of being more experienced with the car/track combination...

Controller Sensitivity 0, a two lap run, no more needed: 2'08,297 with an optimal time of 2'08,130

So that's it from my perspective. At least with this wheel the setting makes no difference - in other words, it's doing precisely what it says in the description.

Mirroring my testing exactly. After reading this thread I thought that either people are having serious placebo effects or the setting really makes a difference.

The test setup: Logitech G25 and DriveHub so essentially a G29, ....

So that's it from my perspective. At least with this wheel the setting makes no difference - in other words, it's doing precisely what it says in the description.

So it's not doing anything on logitech wheels. Hmm, anyone else with thrustmaster wheel that could test this?
I'll make vid on X2014 cockpit view, where you can see the difference. ( or me imagining it :D )

I'm an idiot, I forgot to change my tires so I was on softs last night and used hards originally on the 60 lap session. That would explain my incredible pace change, haha I thought I figured out some magical technique . But still since I did cs -2, then +7 then +1 and each time my pace increased I stand by my first results.

Also @sdi_03 says he notices an actual lag on the red dot on the steering input bar. I am fairly certain there is no difference for me.

So it's not doing anything on logitech wheels. Hmm, anyone else with thrustmaster wheel that could test this?
I'll make vid on X2014 cockpit view, where you can see the difference. ( or me imagining it :D )
Last night, after seeing your post, I tried it and was quite sure it made a difference.... with certain provisions to do with beer.

I tried it again today at lunch time, after lots of coffee. The problem is I am not a good enough, consistent enough or fast enough game driver to be sure that a change in setting has made a real change to a lap time..... so it's a bit pointless for me to post lap times with a second or two difference here or there, could easily have been luck or error!

What I did find when looking into this is that it's been hotly debated since at least GT5. Around a 50/50 split.... some think it makes a difference, others not.

I tried looking at the difference between input and wheel movement between -2 and +7 and I can't see it.

I did the same using a controller, and I still can't see it.

What I CAN say is that for some weird reason, the cars I drove at -2 setting just FELT more comfortable and easier to drive. Even though in theory they should have been worse, as +7 should be faster responding.

Bit of a ramble, no help whatsoever, but, there you go. :lol:

PS I'm using a T300RS

Hey guys, I'm sure you know but there are entire threads dedicated to wheels and their settings on this site. Within those threads there are many links to resources regarding the settings, what they all mean, and how to optimize them.

Having said that, I'll save you the trouble of digging and tell you that Controller Steering Sensitivity setting does absolutely nothing to your wheel.

For Thrustmaster wheels there are only 2 settings in-game that do anything, Force Feedback Torque, and FFB Sensitivity. If it says "controller" it's for the controller only so don't even bother. All this lapping using wheels and different controller settings is a waste of time and if you can improve your time with a different "controller sensitivity" setting, consider that you've either gotten better through practice, or via the placebo effect. Also, if you're going to do that kind of hot-lapping with different settings, don't pick a long track like Sarthe where time trial variations can be huge even with the same settings. Pick a sub 2-minute track that you're good at for less deviation.

Generally, the most knowledgeable and quickest people in the game use low-ish torque and high sensitivity. If you have them opposite, or sensitivity too low and torque too high, many of the details of the track surface are lost in the noise. What that means is that you'd be picking up less detail from the track (sensitivity) but the torque will be stronger for the details it does still pick up. So the minor details will be muffled, if that makes sense.

Personally, I have a T300 RS GT. I used to have torque on 4 and sensitivity on 8, but after awhile I got used to the strength of the wheel and turned the torque up to 5 and sensitivity to 9. The T300 is a particularly strong wheel, so if you are using high torque not only are you missing the real feel of the track but it is also more likely to have a catastrophic hardware failure sooner than later.

Did test this again today, I must admit, that differece in lag is small, you need to move the wheel quite fast. Now this leads to question, how can I make sure that the input speed is the same? No way, so this can also be just me.
But for sure, the car feels better on -2, like tighter, especially on the small steering inputs when steering is straight
Is it "placebo" not sure, but seems to work for me.

Tested this on race c qualy with huracan, -2 setting gives stronger "centering" for the wheel. Initial turn in seems to better also.

Last edited:
CSS has been discussed many times before. Some people say it has no effect, some say it's placebo, some say it only works on certain cars/wheels. I belong in the latter camp. The effect is tiny and for 99.99% of drivers and driving situations it probably doesn't matter. But with high end wheels and twitchy cars (e.g. X-Bow, W08, Red Bull, gokart) it has a marginal effect if you've driven that combo long enough.. At the end of the day, even if it's placebo effect, if it makes you faster why not use it? ;) You've got nothing to lose anyway.

See this thread for more discussion regarding FFB settings: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/some-thoughts-on-ffb-sensitivity.384232/

I've bought T300RS like a week ago. First FFB wheel for me aswell

It is hella immersive, i must say. Still getting used to controlling the car during oversteer, but it sure is a lot of fun

Stock pedals are kinda crappy tho, guess i'll need to buy T3PA sometime later :\

Latest Posts

Back