Just Raced Under The New Algorithms and Rules

• Thread starter GTFraker
  • 1,445 comments
Poland
Poland
First of all, the new Blue Moon layout is fun it's basically a new track in my opinion; a nice mixture of slow turns and high-speed ones in a small package.
The race itself was incredibly clean, you could tell everyone was on their toes, I was running in top 5 so I can't speak for those in the back. Still, one racer who showed a tendency to get tangled too much suddenly dropped back with two laps remaining in the race which I figure was due to accumulating a lot of penalties. Hopefully the threat of DQ and DR penalties will be enough to discourage a lot of paint trading and shoving.

Is there any indication for when you are close to a Disqualification? (I doubt you know but might as well ask) Or any sort of information regarding how many penalties you have had?

Is there any indication for when you are close to a Disqualification? (I doubt you know but might as well ask) Or any sort of information regarding how many penalties you have had?
I picked up a one second penalty for a shortcut which I couldn't scrub off, it seems like the penalties are more persistent and you have to meaningfully brake and slow down for them to clear. I know that is not what you asked, but I'm pretty sure there is a warning when you collect too many penalties and are close to DQ, will just have to wait for someone who experiences it to post.

That sounds pretty positive.
But I still wonder what happens when someone crashes into you from behind.
First both racers would get a negative SR.
Do they both now also get a negative DR? :nervous:
A car actually bumped me pretty hard from behind just before the 4th turn in the first lap, but I managed to keep it together and make the turn, I did not receive any SR penalty while the other car lost balance and crashed into a wall. There was no trace of him the rest of the race so I guess he lost out a lot because of that one stunt.

Just did a Tokyo Race.
Got pole, came out in first to T1, as usual was rammed against the wall by others...
I didn’t got any penalty neither red or orange Sr sign....
that turn was a mess and everybody ghosted after the hit...
As usual that race is carnage!!!
I was the only A/S and was matched with B/S, B/A, C and Ds

End up with red S :(

Sport Mode
The Sportsmanship Rating (SR) and penalty judgement algorithms have been improved;
In a collision between two cars, a penalty will now be added to the Driver Rating (DR) as well as incurring a Time Penalty depending on the situation;
If a driver continues to drive without complying with a certain amount of Time Penalty, additional time penalties will be added. (The additional penalty depends on the DR);
A driver may now be disqualified from a race if the number of collisions and shortcuts they accumulate becomes too great;
Cars over a lap behind will now be ghosted and will not be subject to collisions. (Only enabled in Sport mode);
It is now possible to submit grief reports for misconduct of other users.

Finally some good changes to sport mode races. Seen a guy a lap behind try to ram another, pretty amusing. Also seemed racers were more cautious about bumps can Sr in general.

The first one was a slight tap, the 2nd one i thought i was close but didnt touch, i guess lag may have caused the game to see a touch.

I posted this in the other thread, but is appropriate here also.

I think the new system may be too sensitive. I do like the idea behind it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The penalty is way too sensitive now. I got a 1-sec penalty just for lightly rubbing a guy's fender after braking just a hair too late. Later, someone went wide and spun, hitting my side as I passed underneath. Bam! 5-sec penalty. Seems I get penalties every time I touch another car now. And you have to slow down immediately or they start adding seconds. :nervous:

Easiest way to race clean is to just not touch anyone elses car. I know sometimes it's not your fault but with these super harsh pens now I imagine you'll get less dive bombing, and thus less random smashes that weren't you're fault. This then leaves you to work and setup clean moves without contact.

One can dream.

Just used the report system at race B its now and option at the end of the race if you go to that player in the finish table, the other driver just thanked me. ( I noticed he got demoted from B to E during the race)

If you notice, the other car receives penalties as well. I just had a race where someone spun across the track and brushed the side of my car as I passed. Instant 5-sec penalty. We were both crawling after the corner.

I'm thinking the system has been clocked up to 11 and any and all contact causes penalties for both cars. I just kissed someones fender after braking a little too deep and got a penalty.

The way I see it is that PD is trying to copy paste iRacing rating system but did not actually care to try and fix problems created at their own version.
To make it more clear(example):in iRacing you'll get 4x if contact is big enough,no matter if its your fault or not.Now GTS seems to do the same but the 4x in iRacing is not that "big" compared to what PD is doing now -every contact means negative DR and time penalty at the same time-.
With that said it may be a case of PD forcing people to actually try and learn clean racing by giving too strict penalties.Problem is that many have "learned" to play the game the way it was working up until now.So if every single contact means somekind of a penalty people would get apset because "its not my fault".Also if time penalties cannot be just "erased" within "normal" race pace,most people will again be angry and frustrated.
IMO they should have inforced this system from the first day and focus on improving the way that system give time penalties to players.If they have done that in the beggining SR S would actually be more accurate and also DR would be similar since there are people that have the pace but not the skills to race with others around them.Now its gonna create a bigger problem as the system goes too hard on players and some -especially "casuals"- will not be able to "unlearn" the way they were racing up until now.Personally I dont have a problem with rules being more strict but I have a feeling that many will not be happy with those changes.

From the Video it appears to be a bit too strict to me. I honestly had to watch a few times to even get an idea on where the first penalty came from.
I apreciate the System getting a bit more strict, seems like PD went a bit to far though. Hopefully they will Keep an eye on tings and dial it back if it actually proves to be too harsh. Especially taking lag etc. into account.

The way I see it is that PD is trying to copy paste iRacing rating system but did not actually care to try and fix problems created at their own version.
To make it more clear(example):in iRacing you'll get 4x if contact is big enough,no matter if its your fault or not.Now GTS seems to do the same but the 4x in iRacing is not that "big" compared to what PD is doing now -every contact means negative DR and time penalty at the same time-.
With that said it may be a case of PD forcing people to actually try and learn clean racing by giving too strict penalties.Problem is that many have "learned" to play the game the way it was working up until now.So if every single contact means somekind of a penalty people would get apset because "its not my fault".Also if time penalties cannot be just "erased" within "normal" race pace,most people will again be angry and frustrated.
IMO they should have inforced this system from the first day and focus on improving the way that system give time penalties to players.If they have done that in the beggining SR S would actually be more accurate and also DR would be similar since there are people that have the pace but not the skills to race with others around them.Now its gonna create a bigger problem as the system goes too hard on players and some -especially "casuals"- will not be able to "unlearn" the way they were racing up until now.Personally I dont have a problem with rules being more strict but I have a feeling that many will not be happy with those changes.

If anything, I'd say they have already been guilty of trying to run before they can walk when it comes to penalties. They have been basically beta testing it on the buying public... after failing to use the months long beta to test any of it out.

I get no sense that they actually know what they're doing when it comes to SR/DR. Or rather, there is someone there who does, but then they get overriden by management in knee-jerk responses to user feedback.

And as for penalties on DR...

Penalties on DR is a huge mistake :( It makes the whole DR scoring system imbalanced, with more points being destroyed than created. That evil person who gets a penalty on their DR is now worth less when you beat them, so you get less DR.

They already had some DR penalty for dropping SR too low, but it was buggy as hell and possibly gave points as much as it took. We'll see if they've fixed that pretty soon, Im sure. They should've just removed it. Before we found out about that I thought they had a good system for DR.

For both of these, matchmaking should put low SR drivers together, and someone with an unusually high DR in that situation will find it very hard to not lose DR in those races. It's the 'natural' way to remove DR from them, since then it goes to other players and the points stay in the system.

Sounds like time penalites are being handed out much more than before, and presumably therefore DR penalties, for even slight collisions.

So that's it, I'm sitting out until they come to their senses on this one, and preserving my current DR while they deflate the points.

I agree with you...

Mostly I think that... things only will change. .when all players get conscious about the way they are driving... and that 1st they must step out their right foot out of the accelerator and use more the left break foot... that and start (a lot more) to mind about not hitting nor even touching nobody ... no walls and not passing over the track boundaries.. this will only be possible with less stepping on the accelerator or stepping it much more gently...

I think it will take at least one week (or two) until people feel this urge need to refrain their impulses for acceleration if they want to improve their ranking on this game!!

If anything, I'd say they have already been guilty of trying to run before they can walk when it comes to penalties. They have been basically beta testing it on the buying public... after failing to use the months long beta to test any of it out.

I get no sense that they actually know what they're doing when it comes to SR/DR. Or rather, there is someone there who does, but then they get overriden by management in knee-jerk responses to user feedback.

And as for penalties on DR...

I've been critical to the rating system from the closed beta till now.Many times people would call out my opinions to this matter.
With that said from my point of view this kind of system should have been from day one and improve the way time penalties were/are working.
Now it will make people more fustrated because of the way they are used to "race".Personally I have zero problems but my fear is that maybe its too late?
BTW I also have zero problems with the new DR system.After all,if you copy another system -that is the best around- do it right.

It will take some time.. believe me... racers are to much into running using the imperfections from previous penalization system.. and they will take some time before changing their attitude... and I don´t think that a week will be enough time.... for it to happen (to get used to the new imperfections from the new penalization system..)

Latest Posts

Back