Just some perspective for Kaz from a former fan of GT

Australia
Where i'm at
xmalcolmpowderx
Hello Kaz,

This is not a whinefest or a bashing of your highly successful franchise that you have so lovingly created for us, the fans.

Now before I begin, I would just like to thank you and the team at Polyphony, for all of the hard work that you have all put into GT and making it one of the most successful and well known franchises in the gaming/simulator industry. If it was not for Gran Turismo, I, as a pimply faced 14 year old would never have developed the love for anything related to cars as I have since first putting the GT1 disc into my Playstation all those years ago. SO for all of that, I applaud you, and take my hat off to you.

Having played GT FLAT OUT right from GT1 to GT5, I found that each of the installments would keep me going until the next highly anticipated one would be first placed into my hands by the shopkeeper down at the local game store. Each time, racing home (or telling mum and dad to drive faster) to eagerly fire the PS1, 2, and 3 to watch the opening movie for the first time, and settle in until playing with one eye open in the middle of the night. Gran Turismo, upon all of their releases surpassed any of my responsibilities for that given day, and many more days than I would care to admit. This is what Gran Turismo was to me, growing up with it.

Now with GT5 and GT6, the responsibilities were once again overlooked for those respective release days, but GT5 did not keep me going until GT6. Then GT6 barely kept me going for a month or two post release. I am not sure what has/has not happened to the series but it just seemed to lose that edge that it once had. No more was it exciting, or revolutionary for me. It just failed to grab me and keep a hold of me until the next installment in the series.

Having followed this great website for a number of years now, and seeing some of the great suggestions from this community (especially VBRs great thread on the GT6 board about being forced into so much) that would have greatly improved the series, they just seemed to go ignored, eventually leading to quite a bit of frustration form the fans. Me being one of them. Even your Q&A thread that was kindly set up by Jordan was left to die off, while giving the fans some glimmer of hope that they would be listened to and hopefully have some sort of an input into the series that no doubt they have also been following for a great deal of time.

It is also the lack of communication and the empty promises that are continually a prominent part of the lead up to any of the newer Gran Turismo games.

It is because of this, and other frustrations, that it is with a VERY heavy heart, that I will not be purchasing GT Sport. Gran Turismo will ALWAYS have a special place in my gaming heart, but for the first time in my life, my responsibilities will not be pushed aside for that one day by a Gran Turismo game. I guess the point I am trying to make Kaz, is PLEASE listen to your fans in the future. We are here to help, not to hinder.

So its on that note that I drop the mic, and slide out.

Thanks Kaz. Keep on keeping on, and I hope that one day I can push my responsibilities aside foo that one special moment again.

Yup,great opinion! I played also from child with GT1 till GT5 and GT6 was a huge disappointment for me...

The GT games where for me also Day 1 purchase obligation.. But now,i can say that i will pass on GT Sport.

Kazonuri has to listen more to his fans, he got his fame thanks to us after all.
More direct feedback from the studio on a oficial forum like Project CARS or Assetto would also great.

But kazonuri goes at his own way, sure the idea of a oficial FIA championship is good.
But online has to be always secondary in a game like an extra.. I really like playing online with other people in a league, but most of the days or time I'm playing offline in history/career mode.

I'm feeling that now with project cars, who got a huge career mode with competitive IA, endurance races.. And got his online functional and secondary and an Esports section for people who like this.

My perfect GT would be like that more or less.. Like the GT4 offline GT mode, the community /club feature like GT5/6 with a good online and,yes why not the FIA championships for the people ho like this kind of competition. All that with 500-700 premium cars...

Hopefully GT Sport don't sell good and makes an inflection to PD and Kazonuri.

Kaz,don't forget your old fan's... Thanks to them you are now what you are.

Now with GT5 and GT6, the responsibilities were once again overlooked for those respective release days, but GT5 did not keep me going until GT6. Then GT6 barely kept me going for a month or two post release. I am not sure what has/has not happened to the series but it just seemed to lose that edge that it once had. No more was it exciting, or revolutionary for me. It just failed to grab me and keep a hold of me until the next installment in the series.

I think a great part of it is precisely the fact that you now have "resposabilities". You're not a teen anymore and, as usually happens as we grow older, we have more knowlegde about games and we also have higher standards. I think teens who played GT6 loved it as much as we loved GT1/2/3/4.

I think this simple thing (growing up) is quite important to be left out of the equation while asking "why am not excited about GT games anymore?"

I agree with almost everything you wrote tho. :)

Last edited:
Hello Kaz,

This is not a whinefest or a bashing of your highly successful franchise that you have so lovingly created for us, the fans.

Now before I begin, I would just like to thank you and the team at Polyphony, for all of the hard work that you have all put into GT and making it one of the most successful and well known franchises in the gaming/simulator industry. If it was not for Gran Turismo, I, as a pimply faced 14 year old would never have developed the love for anything related to cars as I have since first putting the GT1 disc into my Playstation all those years ago. SO for all of that, I applaud you, and take my hat off to you.

Having played GT FLAT OUT right from GT1 to GT5, I found that each of the installments would keep me going until the next highly anticipated one would be first placed into my hands by the shopkeeper down at the local game store. Each time, racing home (or telling mum and dad to drive faster) to eagerly fire the PS1, 2, and 3 to watch the opening movie for the first time, and settle in until playing with one eye open in the middle of the night. Gran Turismo, upon all of their releases surpassed any of my responsibilities for that given day, and many more days than I would care to admit. This is what Gran Turismo was to me, growing up with it.

Having followed this great website for a number of years now, and seeing some of the great suggestions from this community (especially VBRs great thread on the GT6 board about being forced into so much) that would have greatly improved the series, they just seemed to go ignored, eventually leading to quite a bit of frustration form the fans. Me being one of them. Even your Q&A thread that was kindly set up by Jordan was left to die off, while giving the fans some glimmer of hope that they would be listened to and hopefully have some sort of an input into the series that no doubt they have also been following for a great deal of time.

It is also the lack of communication and the empty promises that are continually a prominent part of the lead up to any of the newer Gran Turismo games.

It is because of this, and other frustrations, that it is with a VERY heavy heart, that I will not be purchasing GT Sport. Gran Turismo will ALWAYS have a special place in my gaming heart, but for the first time in my life, my responsibilities will not be pushed aside for that one day by a Gran Turismo game. I guess the point I am trying to make Kaz, is PLEASE listen to your fans in the future. We are here to help, not to hinder.

So its on that note that I drop the mic, and slide out.

Thanks Kaz. Keep on keeping on, and I hope that one day I can push my responsibilities aside foo that one special moment again.
You're leaving because of the failures of 5 and 6. Most of that is the PS3's fault not Kaz's

MXH
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that the PS3 was at fault for GT5 & 6 having poor design decisions, lacking career mode, dreadful sounds or over 800 cars from the previous console generation among other things. Thanks for clearing that up!
You're welcome

I can understand all the frustration of some of the old GT style fans but GT has to change. PoDi has to reach new ways. Just polishing "traditional style GT7" with old days' glory may not have worked anymore. This is hectic time we are living nowadays and maybe for example the old time devouring campaign mode belongs to the past.
Maybe we, the old GT farts, have to change too?

You're leaving because of the failures of 5 and 6. Most of that is the PS3's fault not Kaz's
PD had access to the PS3 development hardware for likely longer than any other developer. PD were one of the first developers to show things off as running on the PS3. And Kaz was, behind Kutaragi of course, one of the most outspoken people about the awesome things the PS3 was going to be capable of.

Very much agree with the OP- two things that really killed it for me are sounds (No excuse- Grid AS and Shift both sound great, and there have been great-sounding racing games on older hardware, both console and PC. Marcos LM600 in the original GTR mod? Lister Storm in Sports Car GT? Shivers!) and 1-2 lap rabbit racing. I loved running enduros in GT4 and using a slower car and pit strategy to win. There's still time to put some endurance events out as seasonals, (10 laps is not an enduro-60 minutes, minimum.) There's a chance I'll bite on GTS, but it won't be on day 1...

Every developer was working with the same system. They build to its limitations. See Kojima Studios, Naughty Dog, etc etc.

That Polyphony continually sought to over-reach is not the system's fault.
Well he can over reach now with the PS4 so

PD had access to the PS3 development hardware for likely longer than any other developer. PD were one of the first developers to show things off as running on the PS3. And Kaz was, behind Kutaragi of course, one of the most outspoken people about the awesome things the PS3 was going to be capable of.
You can select the time of day before the race.

I think a great part of it is precisely the fact that you now have "resposabilities". You're not a teen anymore and, as usually happens as we grow older, we have more knowlegde about games and we also have higher standards. I think teens who played GT6 loved it as much as we loved GT1/2/3/4.

I think this simple thing (growing up) is quite important to be left out of the equation while asking "why am not excited about GT games anymore?"

I agree with almost everything you wrote tho. :)
Am 14 and I love GT6 to this day but I have been playing gt since 3. I played GT3 4 5 prologue and 6 but I think the people who played gt1/2 are suffering from nostalgia.
So just so you adults know that I have almost blur memories of GT3 the last I can remember is driving a NSX GT500 on Special stage route 11.

Last edited:
Am 14 and I love GT6 to this day but I have been playing gt since 3. I played GT3 4 5 prologue and 6 but I think the people who played gt1/2 are suffering from nostalgia.

"I haven't played the games you're talking about but I think you're not remembering it right." Good one.

GT2 is massive and was incredible for it's time. Also, scratch and sniff disc. GT1 was a revolutionary game, and it's still surprisingly decent if you play it now. It's barely an arcade game by today's standards, obviously, but it's still kind of fun. It's a better portable game than GT PSP was.

Let's be honest, if you're 14 now your memories of GT3 and 4 are hardly going to be particularly objective. If all you've really experienced is GT5 and 6, then you might well love it but you haven't got much basis for comparison with earlier games.

"I haven't played the games you're talking about but I think you're not remembering it right." Good one.

GT2 is massive and was incredible for it's time. Also, scratch and sniff disc. GT1 was a revolutionary game, and it's still surprisingly decent if you play it now. It's barely an arcade game by today's standards, obviously, but it's still kind of fun. It's a better portable game than GT PSP was.

Let's be honest, if you're 14 now your memories of GT3 and 4 are hardly going to be particularly objective. If all you've really experienced is GT5 and 6, then you might well love it but you haven't got much basis for comparison with earlier games.
I'm not even 16 yet but I have played GT3, GT4, GT5, GT5 PSP and GT6. Honestly, GT3 and 4 have given me some unforgettable experiences, experiences which were hard to come by in GT5 and 6. Look, GT5 had a decent career mode but it could've been executed better. GT6 had a heavily cut down career mode and wasn't really entertaining in any way. The only reason why GT5 and 6 were so good was because of online racing. Without that, the games would've been really really boring.

Well I do remember playing GT4 I never had the full 5 I only had the prologue 5.

I'm not even 16 yet but I have played GT3, GT4, GT5, GT5 PSP and GT6. Honestly, GT3 and 4 have given me some unforgettable experiences, experiences which were hard to come by in GT5 and 6. Look, GT5 had a decent career mode but it could've been executed better. GT6 had a heavily cut down career mode and wasn't really entertaining in any way. The only reason why GT5 and 6 were so good was because of online racing. Without that, the games would've been really really boring.
Thank you for psn and 1,300 cars and 70 tracks that keep me coming to GT6 also tuning options and to customize cars.

What do you call the livery editor? Or the improved photo mode? Or the removal of Standard cars?

Progress may be slow, but they're clearly listening. No need to get all melodramatic.
GT7 will have standard cars but recently more standards are becoming prenium.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chances of Kaz reading this are very slim, kind of like the chances of the Browns winning the Super Bowl but I feel like there are many people who share your opinion on GTS.
Browns winning the Super Bowl? What about the Lions? One playoff win in nearly 60 years. If you want a no-chance-in-Hell example use them. You live in Michigan, you should know better! Sorry for the off topic rant, but I couldn't contain myself, I'm 66 years old and have been waiting since 1957.

Me too Im playing GT since the very first installment. Always enjoyed the direction KAZ was pushing it.
Have to say GT6 for me is the best till now. I think physics have made a huge step up since 5 and made me enjoy this game immensely. Love to try out every single car setting better and better times on so many fingerlicking circuits. Watching the replays which still amaze me every time. I also own forza 6 but never watch the replays as i think they are very badly done, also the online experience is nowhere near what GT has to offer). The online section of the game has given me the greatest experiences in the gaming part of my life. Finding the right clean racing friends setting up own racing championships and series with full damage and all aids off. God the thrill of those...
I think kaz is a visionary. To him its all about the next step. He s amazing at that. What could help the company is a guy next to kaz who would push his wild ideas (which are only to be applauded) into a tight schedule (like what the guys of turn 10 are so good at)

I will most definitely buy GT sport and will enjoy every inch of that disc knowing there is in my experience still no racing game with as much personality, vision and great quality as GT.

Where is this information from? Can you add a link, please?
There was a quote some time ago about Kaz saying that he wanted to keep the standards, but at the time he was also talking about GT7 as the next game. IMO all bets are off now that he's made a different game AND it hasn't even got the premium cars in it.
Right here, gentlemen: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...standards-are-here-to-stay-poll-added.312265/
"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

Back