Karting - 100% fail - PD redo steering from scratch please

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 78 comments
lol What a massive bag of fail that is.

Completely undriveable. This comes from a guy who has shelves filled with karting trophies.

On a wheel you have to use the teeny tiniest steering input in or it spins. I'm talking just a couple of degrees and there is no way to reduce the steering sensitivity other than the FFB, which does help but it's still a couple of degrees of movement. The moment you have to take avoiding action and use more input, you're doomed. Yes karts have very fast racks but a well setup kart you should be able to have around 45 degrees of useable steering, not 2!

I'm guessing pad users have no problems from what I've just seen.

I'm trying to fixate on the red dot and keep it as close to the middle as possible.

Why is it these driving sims can't get karts right? PC1 was extremely bad as well.
I always have to turn the steering sensitivity to -2 in order to drive the karts. Try that and see if you like it.

@OP Have you tried SCE/AM on PC?

The kart event in GTS was fine. Not realistic but not something you can't get used to. In the beginning it caught me by surprise how little steering you could put before it starts to slide but I got used to it quickly and qualified within a couple of tenths of the top of the global leaderboard.

I agree, the karts are completely broken using a wheel, I was actually looking forward to trying it as well. It does make me wonder why they don't pick these things up in testing, the fact it's so bad suggests that they haven't had anyone drive it with a wheel which is a bit worrying as you would think that would be the bare minimum amount of testing you would do before release. But anyway, hopefully they fix it for the full game.

I always have to turn the steering sensitivity to -2 in order to drive the karts. Try that and see if you like it.

Pretty sure that only applies to controllers.

I agree, the karts are completely broken using a wheel, I was actually looking forward to trying it as well. It does make me wonder why they don't pick these things up in testing, the fact it's so bad suggests that they haven't had anyone drive it with a wheel which is a bit worrying as you would think that would be the bare minimum amount of testing you would do before release. But anyway, hopefully they fix it for the full game.

Pretty sure that only applies to controllers.
Nope, works on the wheel just fine.

Worked pretty fine for me. Using either DS4 or DFGT :)

BTW, did a mod in AC for GoKarts, long time ago... Was a blast, and now that I see that they included it in GT Sport... wondering what will next thing be...

Cheers...

Unless I'm missing something (and I certainly could be, happy to eat humble pie!) but what has this whining rant got to do with GTS?
I take it you have offered an apology?

GT apologists out in force on this. We have an OP who is telling us that he has had extensive success in driving karts in real life and claims that the amount of steering input required to drive them is far from realistic and you lot, who haven't shown any experience of driving karts in real life, tell him he is wrong.

When driving the karts with a wheel you can indeed only move the steering wheel a couple of degrees and still maintain control. Yes you can get used to it and drive well, I won a number of the Karting events in the demo, however this is not realistic. I did some karting when I was younger and I never spent a race only moving the wheel 2 degrees to the left or right.

So rather than blindly defending why not listen to what people with much more experience than you have to say and let it enter your small little minds that something might just be wrong.

Last edited:

GT apologists out in force on this. We have an OP who is telling us that he has had extensive success in driving karts in real life and claims that the amount of steering input required to drive them is far from realistic and you lot, who haven't shown any experience of driving karts in real life, tell him he is wrong.

When driving the karts with a wheel you can indeed only move the steering wheel a couple of degrees and still maintain control. Yes you can get used to it and drive well, I won a number of the Karting events in the demo, however this is not realistic. I did some karting when I was younger and I never spent a race only moving the wheel 2 degrees to the left or right.

So rather than blindly defending why not listen to what people with much more experience than you have to say and let it enter your small little minds that something might just be wrong.

I think the "shelves full of karting trophies" was a bit of an unnecessary comment, no one particularly cares, especially considering how obvious the problem is. Even if his experience was relevant there's no need to say it in such an obnoxious way.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree with the rest of what you're saying, people shouldn't just flat out say the karts and fine and that he's wrong just because they have no issues themselves.

R3V
The kart event in GTS was fine. Not realistic but not something you can't get used to. In the beginning it caught me by surprise how little steering you could put before it starts to slide but I got used to it quickly and qualified within a couple of tenths of the top of the global leaderboard.
I was also able to "get used to it" as well but I'd still prefer they do something to fix it rather than leave it in a poor state. Steering this tight means it's impossible to make the tiny adjustments necessary to smoothly drive through long sweepers (like Kyoto turn 1 for example). Even with nice expensive wheels, people are having to use saw-like motions to stay near the racing line.

I'm not a professional kart racer and maybe it is actually realistic to have only 10° of usable steering either side of center (there seem to be conflicting reports from actual kart racers in this thread). None of the karting events I've ever seen in real life have people twitch oversteering off the track like I saw in the race events the other day so something is definitely up. Maybe our force feedback wheels are just too notchy to make it practical to try and exactly match reality so that's where compromises need to be made. Whether that means adjustments to the physics or allowances made to increase wheel angle, or even toning down the feedback strength more, then so be it.

That's always been the struggle with racing sims- you can plug in all the real numbers you want but if the end result doesn't feel authentic, it doesn't matter.

I think the "shelves full of karting trophies" was a bit of an unnecessary comment, no one particularly cares, especially considering how obvious the problem is. Even if his experience was relevant there's no need to say it in such an obnoxious way.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree with the rest of what you're saying, people shouldn't just flat out say the karts and fine and that he's wrong just because they have no issues themselves.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be obnoxious. It was just to point out where I'm coming from and that I know what karts are like.

I almost considered switching to the pad to play the karts. Anyway, maybe the devs are listening and will sort this out. If you had an option to adjust steering sensitivity or change the rack or caster in Arcade mode that would be ok.

I drove the karts with a T150 wheel and as the OP said, the steering is MUCH too sensitive. You basically only have +/- 2° of rotation from full left to right lock, so you slide out extremely easily. It's impossible to drive safely without traction control, because the slightest change in steering angle makes the car spin out.

Nobody has been telling him that he is wrong. They've been saying they they didn't have that problem, or that they did but were still able to drive the karts. Mind you, the thread title says that karting is 100% fail, so naturally it draws comments from those who enjoyed their karting experiences and genuinely disagrees with that statement.

So which wheel do you use and how many degrees of rotation are you able to use?
T300rs, and whatever the default for wheel rotation is. I believe it's 1080. It also works on the G29. A friend has that one.

T300rs, and whatever the default for wheel rotation is. I believe it's 1080. It also works on the G29. A friend has that one.
What Johnny means is how many degrees did you need to turn the wheel to be able to navigate around the track.

What surprised me when I drove this karting daily race was its speed. Is it possible in real life to reach 160 km/h in some kart? Steering was great on controller.

What surprised me when I drove this karting daily race was its speed. Is it possible in real life to reach 160 km/h in some kart? Steering was great on controller.
In a shifter kart or a Superkart, yes. Superkarts can top 240km/h. Single speed karts are still fast but not usually geared tall enough to reach those speeds.

What Johnny means is how many degrees did you need to turn the wheel to be able to navigate around the track.
I did not take note, will have to check it out again later this week. Give it a try though.

I did not take note, will have to check it out again later this week. Give it a try though.
What those of us who are complaining experienced was only having to turn the wheel a few degrees in either direction to navigate any corner. And if you have ever driven a kart you will know that this is not realistic. When the full game releases have a go and share your experience here.

What those of us who are complaining experienced was only having to turn the wheel a few degrees in either direction to navigate any corner. And if you have ever driven a kart you will know that this is not realistic. When the full game releases have a go and share your experience here.

They'll probably have fixed it for the full game just to make us look stupid :lol:

I was sure about that.
Well, if you need to turn right for example.
As you approach the turn you will brake and start steering. Some steer by moving their thumb right for one time, then they release the steering (for like 0.1 sec) and then steering again and continuing to do this until they come back to the straight.
Doing this while driving a kart, will result in a wheel spin and loss of control. You need to start moving your thumb to the right slowly until you steer completely and release it slowly back aswell. That's what I mean. Don't steer to the direction you want too fast.

Same with giving gas. After a turn you don't have to go full throttle especially when driving fast cars because this will result in a spin. Give half gas and then start giving more as you gain some speed. When you exit the corner and you are going straight just go full throttle
This advice is 100% correct, good advice. But I have to laugh, because it's so much easier said than done!

This advice is 100% correct, good advice. But I have to laugh, because it's so much easier said than done!
Thank you.
Yeah if you are used in a standard steering it may take some time to learn it.
But it will help you a lot.
Also, a slow steering will not reduce your speed (when using TCS).

Thank you.
Yeah if you are used in a standard steering it may take some time to learn it.
But it will help you a lot.
Also, a slow steering will not reduce your speed (when using TCS).
An interesting article:

There’s an old saying in racing which states: a driver starts ragged and slow, then becomes smooth and slow. Once they find the courage, they become quick but ragged, and if they stay at the game long enough, eventually become quick and smooth.

http://www.turnology.com/news/smooth-driving-versus-ragged-driving/

Agreed, Kartings are undrivable with the G29 unfortunately. PC2 karting physics are even worse but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad in GT.

OT: BMW M4 past the limit of grip is pretty undrivable too, something is wrong with the car, it is much easier to drift in real life, in the game it snaps way to fast and undpredictable.

I understood what the complaining about is for. All I said was to turn your steering sensitivity down to -2 for your wheel and see how you like it.

Back