Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@TokoTurismo
AY why do you always have negative stuff to say AY. Why do you have the game AY? Doesn't seem like you enjoy it anyways AY. Do you really have to come here to bother people with your negativity AY?
sp_1204_02.jpg

To be fair, the issue with Grid: Autosport has more to do with Codemasters not learning a thing after that statistic that was pulled from thin air. To quell the self-brewed negativity about Grid 2 not featuring cockpits, you cook up Autosport with blurred-out interiors that are only blurred because the detail is below par for no real reason at all?

I know.

But the situation is analogous to the standard cockpits one. Grid 2 had no cockpits, GT5/6 has no cockpits on standards bar a dodgy screen mask. G:AS solves with low res blurry cockpits, gets community backlash. If GT7 goes the same way, I think they should expect a similar response from consumers.

I don't like any of the solutions. It's 2014. Unless you're a one man indie studio, cars come with interiors.

Perhaps Kaz should just reword the whole standards things.
Something like....GT7 will be a new game + GT Archive (remastered content for the next generation)
It's all about how you say things.

I'm not that big of fan of the standards but do like the non-duplicate cars that may or may not be premiumized, like the Audi RS6 (sedan), Audi Quattro, Honda City Turbo, etc.

If PD released a separate game, GT Anthology, a remastered HD version of GT 1 thru 6, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't mind it. All the content, cars and tracks, in HD, all PD would have to do it make a new "Home" area for all the events (A/B-spec combined), etc.

Not sure if anyone played Resident Evil 6, but it had retro costumes which I thought were rad. (I get that they aren't cars, but you can see how it's welcomed)

re6retrocostumes.jpg

I know.

But the situation is analogous to the standard cockpits one. Grid 2 had no cockpits, GT5/6 has no cockpits on standards bar a dodgy screen mask. G:AS solves with low res blurry cockpits, gets community backlash. If GT7 goes the same way, I think they should expect a similar response from consumers.

I don't like any of the solutions. It's 2014. Unless you're a one man indie studio, cars come with interiors.

There is a pretty sizable difference between the amount of work to be done though.

Autosport: 78 cars

GT6: 800 cars.

Codemasters: 500 people

PD: 150 people.

No excuse for Autosport not to have full interiors.

Perhaps Kaz should just reword the whole standards things.
Something like....GT7 will be a new game + GT Archive (remastered content for the next generation)
It's all about how you say things.

I'm not that big of fan of the standards but do like the non-duplicate cars that may or may not be premiumized, like the Audi RS6 (sedan), Audi Quattro, Honda City Turbo, etc.

If PD released a separate game, GT Anthology, a remastered HD version of GT 1 thru 6, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't mind it. All the content, cars and tracks, in HD, all PD would have to do it make a new "Home" area for all the events (A/B-spec combined), etc.

Not sure if anyone played Resident Evil 6, but it had retro costumes which I thought were rad. (I get that they aren't cars, but you can see how it's welcomed)

I mentioned this earlier. I think it would be an interesting take on it to have a "GT classic" mode with old school looking cars and tracks.

Edit: oops, meant to edit this into my other post. Sorry.

I agree. There's not.

There's also no reason for what is almost certainly the racing game with the highest budget ever to have 80% of it's cars without interiors. But we saw that in GT5, and then ~65% in GT6.

Also, I cut Polyphony no breaks for their low amount of staff. They are small by choice, and they live and die with the restrictions that forces on them. If they choose to only employ 150 people with their $60+ million dollar budget, that's their call.

Presumably they think it will result in a superior product. I am yet to be convinced of this. When making a game on the scale of Gran Turismo, there's only so much one person (or 150) can do. Either the game gets cut down to suit the size of the staff, or the quality suffers.

What about an option on the poll for "having standard cars actually makes me want to buy GT7 even more"? To me the more cars the better even if some/most are of inferior quality. It's a car game and I love driving and modifying different and interesting cars!!

I agree. There's not.

There's also no reason for what is almost certainly the racing game with the highest budget ever to have 80% of it's cars without interiors. But we saw that in GT5, and then ~65% in GT6.

Also, I cut Polyphony no breaks for their low amount of staff. They are small by choice, and they live and die with the restrictions that forces on them. If they choose to only employ 150 people with their $60+ million dollar budget, that's their call.

Presumably they think it will result in a superior product. I am yet to be convinced of this. When making a game on the scale of Gran Turismo, there's only so much one person (or 150) can do. Either the game gets cut down to suit the size of the staff, or the quality suffers.
The decision to include standard cars should show everyone that they care more about quantity and have not enough staff to support such an ambitious game. Some people have the opinion that the ps3 hardware prevented PD to do better sound and so on. In my opinion the increasing effort developers need to put in a game and the missing intention to increase their staff massivly is the main problem.

I don`t mind standards ,because it looks like that the don`t have the time to make them all premium ,else they would that`s what Kaz is saying..
I still believe the most important cars are standards , so.....I don`t care how they look I want them in the game.Also I believe they will improve more, lot`s of standards improve in Gt6

I like a good deal of standard cars. I wouldn't be happy to see the XJ220/Speed 12/Spyker C8/Impreza 22B go. The case with the Imprezas and the Corvettes for example, though, they're all different, different model years etc. The R34s, Eunos/Miata/MX5s, and even the renamed cars (Clio vs. Lutecia) are nigh on pointless additions. I like a lot of standard cars but these wouldn't be missed. At least with the Imprezas and Evolutions you can see the subtle differences in each year. But when there's about 15 re-skins of the R34 which have little to no visual variation, it's hard to see the point.

I hope that standards can be given some special treatment. Imagine 30-40 car races with standards, on PS4, I don't see why that's not possible. Make it happen PD!

There is a pretty sizable difference between the amount of work to be done though.

Autosport: 78 cars

GT6: 800 cars.

Codemasters: 500 people

PD: 150 people.

Yeah.. but on the other hand they (Codemasters) make ~8-10 games in time when PD makes 1 (one) game. They also don't recycle PS2 assets (cars, tracks, some engine voices) and physics engine (I'm 99,999999% sure that GT6 uses just a modified (maybe heavy modified.. but still with its huge flaws) version of GT4's physics engine).

The issue isn't so much that standards are back in for me, it is just PD's laziness to update them or at least polish them up to look as good as the premiums on the exterior.

Also, I'm worried that GT7 will be in itself, another DLC to GT5 just like GT6 was. It will likely have next to no features that we want, and the features we do want will be "added in a future update". They are rushing GT nowadays to stop people from complaining when PD can't meet deadlines. Spend 5, 6, 7 even 8 years on GT7, as long as it is worthy of being called "next gen" and is a complete product. Because right now that doesn't seem to be the case, and GT7 has had a shorter development time that GT6.

Kaz said they are keeping the archive. He didnt say they will be in the game again. There is a distinction to be made here.

What I think will happen is that they use that archive to premium-fy some of the standards that are hard to come by in real life.

People already cry out in pain although no one knows for sure what he meant. Im sick of all this salt.

(I'm 99,999999% sure that GT6 uses just a modified (maybe heavy modified.. but still with its huge flaws) version of GT4's physics engine).

You would be wrong, and you are showing how the uninformed poster acts before getting his facts straight.

Way to go.

But it is a supirior product. Which driving game has more content than gran turismo?
I understand the visual issues here, but that just goes to show whats important to YOU in gt, and not whats important to ME.

Quantity > visual quality of % of cars.

Last edited:
The issue isn't so much that standards are back in for me, it is just PD's laziness to update them or at least polish them up to look as good as the premiums on the exterior.

We have 150 semi-premiums in GT6. You're really going to call that lazy, especially when we also got 200 fully premium models? Let's also not forget the amount of new tracks they have given us.

Calling PD lazy is pretty disrespectful to all of the modellers involved, and pretty dismissive.

194 of their die hard fans are. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

SoI have a challenge for any standard car fan, rather than just talk in numbers as 90% of you have done so far, actually post a list of the standard cars you absolutely could not do without, that must not be removed. Then tell me if you think its reasonable or not to think those cars could be made in PS4 quality over the next couple of years before GT7 releases.

Go.
Hey thats actually a good Idea and I will do so as soon as I can.

You would be wrong, and you are showing how the uninformed poster acts before getting his facts straight.

Way to go.
And how are you so sure about that?
Blindly belive everything they say to you.

Way to go.

If they're all updated to semi-premium like the RUFs etc in GT6 then I think that'll be sufficient. I'd rather have them than not have them.

Agree. Those RUFs look great....not Premium level, but hardly something to complain about. So that level would be fine on GT7 alongside all the gorgeous Premiums.

I'd say ditch the multiple similar variants of current standards, update as many standards as feasible, but keep the unique ones for which the resource time is not available to update them. One of the things I do like about GT5/6 is the sheer variety of cars. But yeah I do also cringe at some of the outdated textures and pixelated wheel arches. If those things are updated then where's the problem. A good balance can be achieved.

And how are you so sure about that?
Blindly belive everything they say to you.

Way to go.

Seriously? Are we now in the conspiracy realm? Did you even play the game?

Regarding standards:
Its not about which I drive as it is about my options. People act as if out of the 150 staff members PD has, they either work on premiums OR standards. Wouldnt it be more correct to asume (and lets not kid ourselves, we all love our assumptions) that they work on premiums up to the last moment, and than they add the standards in when they see they wont have time for another premium?

[...]Calling PD lazy is pretty disrespectful to all of the modellers involved, and pretty dismissive.
I wouldn't call them lazy. I think they are not. The problem is that their team is just too small to make everything at today's standards and to met what they aim for (and what probably most of us expect). They need to hire more modellers and new people to finally create a brand new physics engine.

e:
Seriously? Are we now in the conspiracy realm? Did you even play the game?[...]
No, we are not and yes, I did.
No offence, but... It's just that I know what I'm talking about.. and it looks like you don't ;)

Last edited:
But it is a supirior product. Which driving game has more content than gran turismo?

None. Which would be a great point, if most content = best.

I understand the visual issues here, but that just goes to show whats important to YOU in gt, and not whats important to ME.

How ironic then that you made the previous statement.

PD have decided to pursue one avenue, quantity of content, more or less at the expense of all others. That some people would consider that the perfect game I don't dispute.

But even then, with a small staff, are they really making the best game that they could for you? Let's take this design goal to the extreme, and say that they're just trying to get the most content in the game possible. How does having 150 staff allow them to fulfill this goal better than if they had 300?

It's not even an annoyance, having standard cars.

A much bigger annoyance is not having grid starts and decent AI.
But that's probably a lesser issue for people who play online a lot.

For all I care, Kaz can pur all standards in GT7, as long as I don't have to see AI using them...
Detailed cockpits: great ! But I hardly use this view while racing.
Blacked out interior: I would not mind for the same reason, but PD forces me to look at this crap, when entering the pits.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

So why don't they do just that, upgrade the standards to premium. That way they upgrade the archive, standards are gone and we have more premiums. Afterwards they will have time enough to built more premiums if they feel like it...
Everybody happy ! No ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back