Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo Fan Expectations, SUVs, Expensive Wheels, Tourist Trophy, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 311 comments
We ran a C-segment estate and a C-segment CUV simultaneously for a while. There was only one thing the estate was better at: fuel economy, because it was a modern hybrid and not a 15-year old petrol-only. Everything else the CUV blasted the estate away. Guess which one we still have, as an only car?

Two particularly important parts for us are the considerably higher H5, which allows much easier ingress and egress without having to drop or climb, and the fact that the boot is both larger and higher, which allows use of all five seats and the wheelchair and luggage/shopping in the boot at the same time - or three in the cabin plus dogs, and chair and luggage in the boot. The estate needed either the chair at home or the shopping/luggage on the rear seat; not much good for a supermarket run or a family holiday.

Still, I guess people with disabilities just don't deserve the independence that cars offer, right? I mean, they certainly shouldn't enjoy it...

Our youngest daughter walks to school and always has.
It’s fine when your use cases are different. But it doesn’t change the fact that there’s a higher risk of accidents with SUVs, because they’re larger, higher and many real world SUV drivers are not up to the challenge. Traffic accidents statistics in Germany prove that point. And because they’re basically a wall driving forward, compared to lower estates, they are significantly less efficient on fuel consumption.
Again, your mileage may vary, but for most people, I’d still argue that estates have more than enough seating and luggage space.
And yes, elderly or disabled people might prefer a higher entrance into a car. But that doesn’t take away from my above points either. It’s not all either/or.

Honestly, I feel more convinced that the Microtransactions implemented for GT7 were more so Sony-influenced rather than Kaz's choice due to the fact they feel like there isn't much effort into them. Yeah, there's cars that are absurdly expensive and appear for a limited time. But those are primarily cars you don't need to beat the GT Cafe mode with and aren't present much. The only incentive for me to get a Ferrari 250 GTO is just because I want one. For Sport Mode, players most of the time are seemingly using Gr.1-4 cars with a heavy emphasis on Gr.3 from what I heard.

Gr.3 cars aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things with most costing 450,000cr and Gr.4 costing 350,000 cr on average. Most Gr.2 & 1 cars could be had with 1-2 races on the LeMans WTC race that paysout 850,000 cr after 30 mins of gameplay.

--------
Compared to GTA Online with its shark cards and other nonsense or the loot boxes I've heard about in some FPS games from Activision or EA for instance, GT7's use of MTs is very light. They're there, but they're not pushed anywhere near the extent of the previous 2 companies I mentioned.
PD put a lot of effort into designing the economy and particular the scarcity of cars around microtransactions. They put more thought and effort into it than the event design in GT7

I also dont think GTs microtransactions are any better than GTA shark cards. The most expensive vehicle in GTA costs you $120 US to buy with microtransactions.

The most expensive vehicle in GT7 costs you $200 US in microtransactions.

It’s not all either/or.
Which is somewhat the point I was making, as your previous post was more unequivocal about SUVs and their owners.

Last edited:
PD put a lot of effort into designing the economy and particular the scarcity of cars around microtransactions. They put more thought and effort into it than the event design in GT7
They pushed for the scarcity of cars you don't need to beat any race with. They literally serve no purpose other than just wanting them, but there's no consequence to not getting them right away. The scarcity was done as nothing more, than a haphazard idea to bring "realism" into the game. That and for player retention, Kaz wants players to take their time saving up and buying cars instead of having them all in a couple of months. His mindset for doing this granted is still very, VERY flawed and stupid. But that's definitely the mindset he has.
I also dont think GTs microtransactions are any better than GTA shark cards. The most expensive vehicle in GTA costs you $120 US to buy with microtransactions.

The most expensive vehicle in GT7 costs you $200 US in microtransactions.
True, but the MTs were never pushed by PD nor marketed. Rockstar on the other hand markets the hell out of their shark cards and promotes them all of the time. Plus added a subscription service to their online model, GTA+ makes GTA online in my mind already worse than anything done with GT7.

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel more convinced that the Microtransactions implemented for GT7 were more so Sony-influenced rather than Kaz's choice due to the fact they feel like there isn't much effort into them.
To your credit, PSVR2 feels the same way and for similar reasons.

They pushed for the scarcity of cars you don't need to beat any race with. They literally serve no purpose other than just wanting them, but there's no consequence to not getting them right away. The scarcity was done as nothing more, than a haphazard idea to bring "realism" into the game.
Plus the most scarce cars are blocked by RNG, doesn't matter how many extra credits you buy if you don't get the invites.

I think one of GT7’s biggest downfalls of single player is the fact that it doesn’t have races for all vehicles. I don’t know how many times I go to do a race and it says “road car” yet my race car is right in that PP range and tires. So what do we do instead? Custom race which is only good if you can manage to get the right cars and settings.

If not that then Quick Race against regular AI or Sophy. Except if you do that sometimes it litters the field with those safety cars which takes you right out of the game. Here I am in an old Porsche Spyder battling it out with a dodge charger safety car or whatever it is.

GT7 could benefit from having proper classes instead of just throwing a bunch of cars in. Even cars that should/could be in the same class… aren’t. Because they gave us the “crappy” GT40, not the one that ran against the P4. So we are left to tuning trying to fit different cars into groups for online races.

It all feels Willy Nilly to me in that regard. Unless you want to race GR.4, GR.3, GR.2 and GR.1.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

“Here’s one Can Am car (2J), here’s one Group 5 car (Skyline Silhouette), here’s the Porsche 917K but not the Ferrari 512… etc”. - yours truly, Polyphony Digital

It all feels Willy Nilly to me in that regard. Unless you want to race GR.4, GR.3, GR.2 and GR.1.
…and ironically it’s funny not funny that a few people complain to shew players to go play Assetto Corsa Competizione if “they” want to drive GT3 and GT4 cars. Pretty much the bread and butter of Gran Turismo 7 events that offer the most Credits.

…and ironically it’s funny not funny that a few people complain to shew players to go play Assetto Corsa Competizione if “they” want to drive GT3 and GT4 cars. Pretty much the bread and butter of Gran Turismo 7 events that offer the most Credits.
I would say perhaps ACC has better physics and force feedback and maybe is all around more realistic. I personally can’t get into it. The one thing that GT7 had over that game is being able to customize your car with a livery. ACC you just pick a preset livery/car and you’re on your way.

ACC wins for having a better radar. I would think if all you ever want to drive is GR.3 then ACC might be your ticket to a proper race sim for console. I stick with GT7 because it’s got the older cars and race cars. PC2 and AC are fairly dated now on console other wise I might have stuck with them. It’s tough to jump from sim to sim and be competitive in my opinion.

GT7, you’re right, the bread and butter of events are those classes. I really miss GT Legends so maybe that’s where my wanting more vintage race events comes from. I’ve probably raced the historic events more than any other events besides Sardegna grind. So the game feels like we have about idk five historic? And they’re all limited to that 580pp. I wish we had more historic events and a few different pp suggestions.

I would say perhaps ACC has better physics and force feedback and maybe is all around more realistic. I personally can’t get into it. The one thing that GT7 had over that game is being able to customize your car with a livery. ACC you just pick a preset livery/car and you’re on your way.

ACC wins for having a better radar. I would think if all you ever want to drive is GR.3 then ACC might be your ticket to a proper race sim for console. I stick with GT7 because it’s got the older cars and race cars. PC2 and AC are fairly dated now on console other wise I might have stuck with them. It’s tough to jump from sim to sim and be competitive in my opinion.

GT7, you’re right, the bread and butter of events are those classes. I really miss GT Legends so maybe that’s where my wanting more vintage race events comes from. I’ve probably raced the historic events more than any other events besides Sardegna grind. So the game feels like we have about idk five historic? And they’re all limited to that 580pp. I wish we had more historic events and a few different pp suggestions.
GT Sport have all those. Cant see why Kaz/PD haven’t rehashed those as it can be done properly in this game.
As an example, the Superbird Daytona weekly used the five-speed transmissions. Same could be done to the Vintage Le Mans race AI cars(Mach 1, 250 GTO Berlinetta, etc.) from GT Sport.

I’m suprised, but not, PD haven’t made a classic Fuji race with the Skylines, Z cars, 2000GT, CSLs, 911s and Alfa. It’s all right there.

GT Sport have all those. Cant see why Kaz/PD haven’t rehashed those as it can be done properly in this game.
As an example, the Superbird Daytona weekly used the five-speed transmissions. Same could be done to the Vintage Le Mans race AI cars(Mach 1, 250 GTO Berlinetta, etc.) from GT Sport.

I’m suprised, but not, PD haven’t made a classic Fuji race with the Skylines, Z cars, 2000GT, CSLs, 911s and Alfa. It’s all right there.
Yeah I’d actually like a Cobra/Daytona Coupe race at Spa. I think some of the downfall to the historic races is anything with a muscle car, they just top out. Max speed of like 120mph. So we’re stuck trying to make a custom race of faster muscle car tunes but it’s very tricky.

Just give me Sophy running the cars I tell it to run, if Sophy is as ground breaking as they make it out to be I should be able to populate the track with my tunes, have Sophy drive them and have some killer races.

Lately I’ve raced more regular AI vs Sophy and I do notice Sophy is much better to race against. But again, it’s limited to 2 or 3 laps. Does Sophy have a bedtime or something? Haha

Back