Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo Fan Expectations, SUVs, Expensive Wheels, Tourist Trophy, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 311 comments
Honestly, I feel more convinced that the Microtransactions implemented for GT7 were more so Sony-influenced rather than Kaz's choice due to the fact they feel like there isn't much effort into them. Yeah, there's cars that are absurdly expensive and appear for a limited time. But those are primarily cars you don't need to beat the GT Cafe mode with and aren't present much. The only incentive for me to get a Ferrari 250 GTO is just because I want one. For Sport Mode, players most of the time are seemingly using Gr.1-4 cars with a heavy emphasis on Gr.3 from what I heard.

Gr.3 cars aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things with most costing 450,000cr and Gr.4 costing 350,000 cr on average. Most Gr.2 & 1 cars could be had with 1-2 races on the LeMans WTC race that paysout 850,000 cr after 30 mins of gameplay.

--------
Compared to GTA Online with its shark cards and other nonsense or the loot boxes I've heard about in some FPS games from Activision or EA for instance, GT7's use of MTs is very light. They're there, but they're not pushed anywhere near the extent of the previous 2 companies I mentioned.

Honestly, I think Kaz is right to include more SUVs as they become more popular - if only for the time being. I imagine he and PD will pick some interesting ones, like those from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Alfa Romeo. Maybe when we get enough SUVs/cross-overs, we'll get a new Bonus Menu featuring them, much like how there's already an event for pickups. (Though I'm still waiting on the Dodge Ram Rebel and Chevrolet Silverado ZR2.)

EDIT: Though I think each manufacturer should only have one SUV/cross-over each. The only exception could be with Toyota, where I think it could be neat to see the C-HR that competed in the Nurburgring 24hrs in its own right, especially if it can qualify for Gr.4.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Kaz is right to include more SUVs as they become more popular - if only for the time being. I imagine he and PD will pick some interesting ones, like those from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Alfa Romeo. Maybe when we get enough SUVs/cross-overs, we'll get a new Bonus Menu featuring them, much like how there's already an event for pickups. (Though I'm still waiting on the Dodge Ram Rebel and Chevrolet Silverado ZR2.)

EDIT: Though I think each manufacturer should only have one SUV/cross-over each. The only exception could be with Toyota, where I think it could be neat to see the C-HR that competed in the Nurburgring 24hrs in its own right.
I like the idea of adding performance SUVs and trucks, but PD is going about it wrong. GT's strong point is definitely not dirt, yet all of the performance pickups in game are dirt oriented. Their first choice of performance SUV to add is a wannabe SUV crossover thing that's been universally made fun of by just about everyone. I don't care if there's a V12 under the hood, it's fugly as hell.

Just seems like they are trying to do it without having an actual grasp on the culture. It again devolves into the "GT is about car culture" stuff when GT is taking the shallowest dip into car culture imaginable

Last edited:
Thing is, it’s still got the name Lamborghini. We’ve had the past Mazda and Land Rover concepts. Now, we’ve got thee beast of an SUV. It hasn’t single-handedly dampened the car list from my view. It’s a vehicle I can choose to use or not. Just like the other “496+1” I can choose to use or not.

At this stage, knowing how we don’t know how PD choose cars, it really can’t be that irritating regarding the car list. I definitely want the cars I want that are not in the game, but I’m fine to keep playing with the current cars I enjoy.

EDIT: Though I think each manufacturer should only have one SUV/cross-over each. The only exception could be with Toyota, where I think it could be neat to see the C-HR that competed in the Nurburgring 24hrs in its own right, especially if it can qualify for Gr.4.

Actually I made a list of potential SUVs by brand😁😁(those with question marks are from brands that are not in GT7)

Audi RS Q8
BMW X5 M
AMG GL63
Porsche Cayenne S
VW Touareg
Mini Countryman S
Lamborghini Urus (already in the game)
Ferrari Purasangue
Maserati Levante
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Aston Martin DBX 707
Jaguar F Pace
Bentley Bentayga?
Land Rover Defender?
Cupra Ateca?
Skoda Kodiaq?
Volvo XC60?
Peugeot 3008
Renault Espace
Citröen C5
Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat
Jeep Grand Cheeroke SRT
Cadillac Escalade?
Lincoln Navigator?
Ford Bronco
Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
GMC Yukon?
Buick Enclave?
Tesla Model X
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX-5
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi eclipse
Nissan Rogue
Toyota Highlander
Suzuki Grand Vitara
Lexus RX 500
Acura MDX?
Infiniti QX80
Genesis GV70
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento?

Edit: I know this post can get some hate but is just for fun😁😁😁😏

Last edited:
Whilst I would rather they not add SUV's, mini vans, ambulances, whatever beyond a normal road cars, if they do it, whatever they add, at least add another similar vehicle to race against. Like the Vision cars, when there is nothing similar to race against it is not very enjoyable. Imho of course. ;)

I don't mind that SUVs are making their way into Gran Turismo, and on pure pace terms, something like an Urus or a Purosangue can outgun a ton of sports cars. I do wish that GT7 incorporated the kinds of things that handicaps vehicles like these in real life...the fact that they are extremely heavy and will suffer brake fade and oil/coolant temperature challenges after a few hotlaps. Even leaving aside the SUV aspect of it, this would actually give some justification to buy upgraded brakes and intercoolers (and oil coolers / radiators while we're at it) other than the very marginal secondary performance gains we do get from them in the game. I'd bet that it would be hard work getting an hour of track time out of a stock Urus (and other notoriously heat challenged cars like the 370z) and it would be an interesting dynamic to have to track on course - optionally of course. This could also add additional depth with things like anti-lag, nitrous, & "scramble boost" modes adding additional heat to the engine that you have to use carefully. The only game I remember incorporating this was Tokyo Extreme Racer, which had an overboost mode that would cook your engine if you didn't upgrade the cooling and use with care.

Last edited:
I never played a racing game where i feel so immersive to the cars as gt, just the way pd present the cars is unbelivable, what it really lacks is a proper single player and more ways to use our vehicles.

Actually I made a list of potential SUVs by brand😁😁(those with question marks are from brands that are not in GT7)

Audi RS Q8
BMW X5 M
AMG GL63
Porsche Cayenne S
VW Touareg
Mini Countryman S
Lamborghini Urus (already in the game)
Ferrari Purasangue
Maserati Levante
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Aston Martin DBX 707
Jaguar F Pace
Bentley Bentayga?
Land Rover Defender?
Cupra Ateca?
Skoda Kodiaq?
Volvo XC60?
Peugeot 3008
Renault Espace
Citröen C5
Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat
Jeep Grand Cheeroke SRT
Cadillac Escalade?
Lincoln Navigator?
Ford Bronco
Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
GMC Yukon?
Buick Enclave?
Tesla Model X
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX-5
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi eclipse
Nissan Rogue
Toyota Highlander
Suzuki Grand Vitara
Lexus RX 500
Acura MDX?
Infiniti QX80
Genesis GV70
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento?

Edit: I know this post can get some hate but is just for fun😁😁😁😏
Chevrolet - Trailblazer SS
GMC - Typhoon
Ford - Lightning
Cadillac - Escalade V

Need to include pickups and stay away from the offroad end of things

Last edited:
The Urus really is an odd addition when you consider that there's no Aventador SVJ, Huracan Performante or Audi RS6 yet. Now, why do I mention the Audi? Because it has the same engine as the Urus whilst weighing less and providing superior driving dynamics. I'm pretty sure it costs less too. In terms of practicality, the Audi is just as good if not better than the Urus but more people will buy the Urus because it's more fashionable than a WAGON. At least a pick-up truck offers something that "regular" cars cannot - hence why you don't here me whinging about the Raptor and Tundra. When I drive them, I'm of the understanding that they aren't made for performance on a tarmac road, so I forgive the handling characteristics but the hilarious thing about the Urus is that it IS made for performance on a tarmac road, which I see as a massive contradiction. You can't make a huge lump of a car corner like a sports car or even a sports sedan, so what's the bloody point? Jeremy Clarkson was right. I don't get SUV's either.

Speaking of a Bentley. This is leading the GT4 France grid.
IMG_3874.jpeg

It is a thing. Who knows what we’ll get next…
1711913227401.jpeg

1711913248388.jpeg

1711913337321.jpeg

1711913402327.jpeg

In this game I prefer to have neither(vans too). Being I’m not the game’s creator we get what we get. I just predict, guess, speculate what Kaz might probably( all the verbs and adverbs) add to the game.

I dont think the Urus is a big deal but I really don't like PD's tendency to add random cars and then not make a class for them. If you're going to add a Urus then add at least one or two more SUVs and have configurable categories so that races dont look like glorified track days. Looks ridiculous having a Mach 1 Mustang racing against a Ford Raptor.

People complained about sport not being like old GTs but frankly their current approach is just throwing cars in a sandbox and otherwise showing a complete lack of evolution in the series.

Last edited:
I dont think the Urus is a big deal but I really don't like PD's tendency to add random cars and then not make a class for them. If you're going to add a Urus then add at least one or two more SUVs and have configurable categories so that races dont look like glorified track days. Looks ridiculous having a Mach 1 Mustang racing against a Ford Raptor.

People complained about sport not being like old GTs but frankly their current approach is just throwing cars in a sandbox and otherwise showing a complete lack of evolution in the series.
In previous entries they (usually) made sure that there was a group and an event for everything, even if it wasn't an "official" class. GT4-6 at least had street truck series, and all of those games had enough trucks like the lightning, SRT10, etc to flesh out an entire, or most of a grid for an event.

I said (maybe in this thread or in the update thread itself, can't remember) that I'm pretty sure GT hasn't implemented more classes, and has dropped those old events, because it would highlight these issues and lack of cars. PD I think is very aware that most of its fanbase isn't super high information at this point, and doesn't really look at things too hard. Imo they're aware that as long as they don't blatantly show off an issue, no one will notice or care. This isn't really a thing on these forums, but it is elsewhere in GT socials.

Last edited:
These crossovers just don't do it for me like frame trucks do.
You know those are some nice trucks. Again, if they were to do vehicle packs and one of the packs were old 60’s trucks, so be it. I may or may not buy it. Maybe a car pack is some old hot rods or perhaps el Camino’s and such. At least then people would have more of the specific vehicle to race against. But that won’t happen because in game we already have ONE, just ONE Can Am car. So many more to choose from but we have only ONE.

Sport didn't have cash-for-credits MTX but it did have cash-for-content. It therefore didn't have MTX by the classic definition, but it did by the more recent definition.

Additionally, the Malaysian journo asked "will there be any microtransaction in this game, just like the previous one?" and the answer was "no"... and it didn't; we all just didn't realise at the time that it would have a different type!

To be extra fair, they weren't in at launch either; they arrived 9 months in.

And, as a counterweight to all of that, GTHD was originally planned as a compact title that you bought new cars and tracks for as you liked, much like Raceroom is now.
At the end of the day, the community consensus is there for zero tolerance towards microtransactions (to the point people who actually buy credits get shamed).
Honestly, I feel more convinced that the Microtransactions implemented for GT7 were more so Sony-influenced rather than Kaz's choice due to the fact they feel like there isn't much effort into them. Yeah, there's cars that are absurdly expensive and appear for a limited time. But those are primarily cars you don't need to beat the GT Cafe mode with and aren't present much. The only incentive for me to get a Ferrari 250 GTO is just because I want one. For Sport Mode, players most of the time are seemingly using Gr.1-4 cars with a heavy emphasis on Gr.3 from what I heard.
Wasn't this the narrative with GT Sport's "cash-for-cars" too (which had a price limit of Cr. 10 million)?

---

On the SUV topic, I am genuinely convinced that the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution is the one SUV that, if added to the game, would be least likely to piss the community.
1712017913128.png

At the end of the day, the community consensus is there for zero tolerance towards microtransactions (to the point people who actually buy credits get shamed).

Wasn't this the narrative with GT Sport's "cash-for-cars" too (which had a price limit of Cr. 10 million)?

---

On the SUV topic, I am genuinely convinced that the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution is the one SUV that, if added to the game, would be least likely to piss the community.
View attachment 1342613
It's the GT community, anything Japanese will be allowed. Could be the most useless pos out there, weebs would still cream

It's the GT community, anything Japanese will be allowed. Could be the most useless pos out there, weebs would still cream
No though, Japanese cars tend to get the scorn more than foreign ones. Compare the GT-R GT3 '18 getting the "dupe car" heat vs the AMG GT3 '20 barely getting any.

No though, Japanese cars tend to get the scorn more than foreign ones. Compare the GT-R GT3 '18 getting the "dupe car" heat vs the AMG GT3 '20 barely getting any.
We gunna ignore people fawning over the Jimny when it's functionally useless in game?

Slap a Chevy or Mercedes badge on its hood and that reaction would flip real quick lol. I remember seeing some of the people getting excited over the jimny, getting pissed they added the '32 Ford.

Last edited:
Yup. It was stupid that they believed the narrative for that too. Like why would you think it's pay-to-win when you can't even pay for the most expensive cars? and in the game, the most frequently used cars in sport mode were things you could win every day.

We gunna ignore people fawning over the Jimny when it's functionally useless in game?

Slap a Chevy or Mercedes badge on its hood and that reaction would flip real quick lol. I remember seeing some of the people getting excited over the jimny, getting pissed they added the '32 Ford.
I tuned the Jimny, ran it, it was decent fun.but I don’t think I drove it after a day or two. Completely forgot about it. There’s much more fun cars to drive.

Yup. It was stupid that they believed the narrative for that too. Like why would you think it's pay-to-win when you can't even pay for the most expensive cars? and in the game, the most frequently used cars in sport mode were things you could win every day.
GT7's MTX are fundamentally different than what GTS had.

GTS was "easy way out of grinding for a car, pay $2". But GTS made it so most cars in game could be acquired in like 15 min. And also you won them constantly. There was basically no need to spend time earning money.

GTS was "easy way out of grinding for a car, pay $2". But GTS made it so most cars in game could be acquired in like 15 min
You couldn't pay real money for the expensive cars in GT sport (2 mill cap) and to earn enough credits for 20 mill cars it was still a 'grind' (mostly at the Nostalgic '79, which paid about 160,000+ bonuses). The 300ish races in GT League paid out about 30 million in total for one complete run through (if you were lucky) - you very much did have to spend time earning money in GT Sport if you wanted to buy the top price cars, just as you do in 7. It wasn't quite as 'bad', but let's not pretend it wasn't 'bad'.

You couldn't pay real money for the expensive cars in GT sport (2 mill cap) and to earn enough credits for 20 mill cars it was still a 'grind' (mostly at the Nostalgic '79, which paid about 160,000+ bonuses). The 300ish races in GT League paid out about 30 million in total for one complete run through (if you were lucky) - you very much did have to spend time earning money in GT Sport if you wanted to buy the top price cars, just as you do in 7. It wasn't quite as 'bad', but let's not pretend it wasn't 'bad'.
It wasn't bad at all, because there were only a handful of those high price cars.

Blue moon or monza grind would net you 350k/10 min or so, if you really needed cash.

The most expensive car you could buy with MTX was 5mil, eventually increased to 10 mil iirc. However the amount of cars that cost more than 3 or 4 mil in game could be counted on your fingers.

That's before you factor in that many of the "legends" shop cars that have insane prices now were cheap in GT7. Group C cars were 1 mil or less. Anything in a GR class had a set price. Etc etc.

Again, Sport's microtransactions served as a workaround and were a non-issue in game. GT7 is a very different story

I remembered how people complained when the zenki S14 was added, it wasn't the kouki... and when they added the kouki model, they felt "Another Silvia? Really?"

On the flipside, when the Cayman road car was added it also incited complaints it wasn't the latest model.

GT7 is a very different story

Not really, MTX's are a non-issue GT7. I suspect all the points have already been discussed, but ultimately I don't think any rational person would arrive at GT7's MTX system based on any kind of real world brief, other than saying that one needed to be included in some fashion. To me, everything in GT7 stacks up behind having a finite amount of content stretch over a certain life span in order to maintain a certain level of engagement, given an ongoing budget.... with the MTX's and the need for them being so badly thought out that most players won't undermine, or artificially shortcut that planned lifespan by buying them. They simply don't want you burning through game content faster than they're planning for, and the MTX's are priced in accordance with that.

It wasn't bad at all, because there were only a handful of those high price cars.

Blue moon or monza grind would net you 350k/10 min or so, if you really needed cash.

The most expensive car you could buy with MTX was 5mil, eventually increased to 10 mil iirc. However the amount of cars that cost more than 3 or 4 mil in game could be counted on your fingers.

That's before you factor in that many of the "legends" shop cars that have insane prices now were cheap in GT7. Group C cars were 1 mil or less. Anything in a GR class had a set price. Etc etc.

Again, Sport's microtransactions served as a workaround and were a non-issue in game. GT7 is a very different story

The problem with GTSport was the "grindy" races was the ONLY way to make credits. Time Trials didn't give any credits, you couldn't sell cars etc. The only reason I was able to buy alm the cars was because of the Hamilton DLC pack that laid out over 100m credits.

In GT7 I've been able to buy all cars without grinding. TT's pay out 2 million a week, GTWS pays out up to 12 million a season, you can sell cars, they do occasional promo events (predict the winner etc), weekly events pay out close to a million a week, the day wheel of dread can pay out high credits and cars.

I'm not saying the GT7 economy is good (it isn't) but there's a much bigger variety of ways to make credits in comparison to GTSport.

The problem with GTSport was the "grindy" races was the ONLY way to make credits. Time Trials didn't give any credits, you couldn't sell cars etc. The only reason I was able to buy alm the cars was because of the Hamilton DLC pack that laid out over 100m credits.

In GT7 I've been able to buy all cars without grinding. TT's pay out 2 million a week, GTWS pays out up to 12 million a season, you can sell cars, they do occasional promo events (predict the winner etc), weekly events pay out close to a million a week, the day wheel of dread can pay out high credits and cars.

I'm not saying the GT7 economy is good (it isn't) but there's a much bigger variety of ways to make credits in comparison to GTSport.
The biggest issue in my opinion you in order to earn credits in this game, you race alone. I have a lot of hours into this game but it’s mostly online lobbies and I don’t have all the cars and only $8 million credits currently. If all you want to do is race online with people you’re hardly earning any credits.

Back