Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo Fan Expectations, SUVs, Expensive Wheels, Tourist Trophy, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 311 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
About Pikes Peak not a word (gentlemen journalists).
It's to be expected a new game for this track? ,,,good question.

Nowadays, car enthusiasts often drive SUVs… I think we have to cover such cars.
Can't really think of a single car enthusiast driving a crossover because it's such so much of a car.
Of course, there are SUV enthusiasts, like Jeep's and such, but it's whole other territory of off-road driving that GT never covered up even remotely, and never will, because it's not rally. And if he's talking about Porsche cayenne's and other Maseratti/Ferrari/Lamborghini SUV's, I wouldn't call them enthusiast cars. More like "this is something that we can sell to the general public to stay afloat" cars...

Considering the whole backlash thingy and overall state of the product and the design direction, KAZ just seems to be way out of touch with the core fans of the series. That's ok, he's focused on his dream produst, which is nowadays e-sports, but that's such a niche product that it shouldn't be the main and only thing about a game as big as GT. I can't even enjoy GT7, I try as hard as I can but end up going back to GT4/5 every day after having to face extremely lame and unstable online experiences and overall lame design choices in a small GT Sport update that is GT7. I guess that even though I have completed every single GT out there and enjoyed it, I'm somehow not the target audience for KAZ anymore :(

Can't really think of a single car enthusiast driving a crossover because it's such so much of a car.
Hi. Car enthusiast here: recently resprayed Mk1 MX-5 in the garage resting, supercharged engine swapped project car sitting in the back garage currently still projecting.

Observe my "daily" driver, work hack...

1665844794332-png.1200567

... which is a sports saloon in a crossover body - Mazda's most powerful European market car (our official RX-7 was just under 250, we never got the Eunos Cosmo 20B) until this year's CX-60 hybrid - and which has actually been in Gran Turismo, in concept form.

Now you've got one you can think of.

If more people are driving and want SUVs, they are notably absent. Porsche Macan GTS , Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model Y, Ford Bronco, Jeep Cherokee Hellcat, Kia EV6, etc. The Hyper SUVs as well. Most GT players would welcome these vehicles, yet they rarely appear. They are just realizing this now?

In terms of Vision GT, his answer laughable. None of those cars are relatable in any way. There is no engagement or control of the electric systems. This is a crazy omission. Most feel about the same to drive. They are all spaceship race cars, nothing you could imagine in your garage. They are cool to look at and drive for about an hour. Then the novelty wears off. Maybe that is the future, but you really expect people to be engaged with that? No.

Right now there are far too few modern, technologically advanced, peek into the future cars. Koenigsegg Gemera, AMG GT One, Rimac Nevera, Ferrari SF90, Model S Plaid, etc. Maybe it seems like GT is stuck in the past because it takes so long for them to create cars of the present. The last update was a noticeable exception. Hopefully we see more rapid releases of modern cars.

Where are the manufacturers talking about their current and future philosophies and how people who like driving fit into that, since the future matters so much? Well, when they see the future as mostly driverless or cars as giant technology and services delivery platforms... It shouldn't be a surprise nobody wants that in a video game about driving. The present and past is more fertile ground for the entire gt audience.

Also, devaluing the past is a bit ironic when a huge part of the game is car history. Where the industry came from. All the info blurbs about the history of each car. The timeline. Cafe missions. It's all looking into the past... so is all that now a mistake? The cats of the past are also the ones we need to grind the most to acquire... so surely they should be the most important? Which is it?

Kaz's words and his actions seem to contradict each other often.

"We have to cover more SUVs and crossovers" meanwhile GT7 currently has zero of either.
"Car culture is evolving, we have to consider modern trends" meanwhile GT7 was clowned on at launch for its lack of post-2017 vehicles.
Also... the Evo IV is already in the game. :lol:

I have massive respect for the man as the creator of the GT franchise, but a lot of what he says is just waffle.

Last edited:
The SUV market is huge in the US,i could see lots of car enthusiasts selling their sports cars to buy a SUV for the family or in the case of Famine,a second car.
Well... depending on how you look at it, it's my first, fifth, or sixth car. It gets the most use along with my wife's Swace estate, but I have four others I already had before it - although one is never going anywhere ever again because it's a parts car for two of the others.

Also if you happen to have a disability, like my wife does, a quick SUV satisfies both the car and driving enthusiasm and the room for the wheelchair; it technically fits in her estate, but it goes into mine without any disassembly required and mine isn't a FWD, 120hp hybrid. I could tow her car to 60mph on a trailer faster than it can go itself...

Anyway, moving on. I found the comments about steering wheels/desks etc. rather... interesting.

The specific context for the comment was an example of them revealing a "new" car and fans on social media commenting "I want my favourite Lancer Evo 4" in the responses (he actually says "Lanevo 4"). It wasn't necessarily a GT7 comment, but a comment about that situation we see regularly of [GT Announcement] with all the Twitter/Facebook comments being [Add Car X/Track Y].

Which we see here on the forums too. It rarely takes more than ten posts for someone to complain about the cars in an update because the LF-A isn't in there.

Last edited:
Kaz's words and his actions seem to contradict each other often.

"We have to cover more SUVs and crossovers" meanwhile GT7 currently has zero of either.
"Car culture is evolving, we have to consider modern trends" meanwhile GT7 was clowned on at launch for its lack of post-2017 vehicles.

I have massive respect for the man as the creator of the GT franchise, but a lot of what he says is just waffle.
I think his exact point was people always demanding specific trims of certain vehicles - we already have the Evo IV but people want the exact trim that they have or like.

In that case, them spending time on things like that is pointless and isn't moving the game anywhere. Shows they learnt from the MX5-fest of old though!

Gran Turismo Sport was a very experimental title, and in a sense, we proposed something different from what users expected. Therefore, the backlash at the time of release was quite amazing.”
Or, perhaps, you proposed in interviews about the game that Gran Turismo Sport was largely just a series rebranding whose online portion would be a small fraction of the total game; and thus Molyneux'd your own way into setting expectations you knew the game wasn't designed (or priced) to match.

Was he amazed by the response to adding microtransactions too after going out of his way to say that they wouldn't be in the game?

Last edited:
More trucks and any SUV would be welcome. The more variety of vehicles the game gets can only make the game better.

Surprised there is no Chevrolet Colorado or Silverado model in the game despite its two competitors being in the game.

Last edited:
Which we see here on the forums too. It rarely takes more than ten posts for someone to complain about the cars in an update because the LF-A isn't in there.
Considering they already have CAD data from GT5/6, PD helped design the tac UI for the LFA, it started the modern Lexus Toyota design ID, and is considered a milestone of manufacturing prowess in Toyota's history, a company PD has always had a close relationship with... I think it ranks high enough on the list (top 5 for me at least) of egregious omissions to warrant incessant mention. Don't even have to consider car enthusiast's admiration of it.

It took 15 posts this time 🙃.

Last edited:
“High-end wheels are fine, but I think we need something that is easier for everyone to pick up,” he comments.”

“Of course, I know it’s a good experience, but it’s not something everyone can afford"

Kaz is right. :bowdown:
If you save the money you can spend it to buy cars in GT7.
You just have to save the costs of two or more Fanatec Wheels in order to buy all Cars in the game without stupid grinding. :banghead:

Thank you for caring about people not being rich. Theese are called the "grinding people" by the way...

More trucks and any SUV would be welcome. The more variety of vehicles the game gets can only make the game better.

Surprised there is no Chevrolet Colorado or Silverado model in the game despite its two competitors being in the game.
I'm personally surprised we never got the Ram SRT-10. Even in the old games, the only Ram we had was the 1500 Hemi.
Considering they already have CAD data from GT5/6, PD helped design the tac UI for the LFA, it started the modern Lexus Toyota design ID, and is considered a milestone of manufacturing prowess in Toyota's history, a company PD has always had a close relationship with... I think it ranks high enough on the list (top 5 for me at least) of egregious omissions to warrant incessant mention. Don't even have to consider car enthusiast's admiration of it.

It took 15 posts this time 🙃.
Yep, this. For me, the LFA is absolutely the most strange omission from the current GT7 car list, at least after the C8 'Vette that we got last update. If it's any consolation, at least the list-that-shall-not-be-named gives me more hope that we'll see the LFA (with its beautiful engine sound) soon.

His comment on SUVs (and possibly cross-overs) stated more or less what I was thinking. More specifically, I want to see a lot of these SUVs/cross-overs race each other! We could easily have a lot of high-performance vehicles in this regard, especially the Lamborghini Urus and Ferrari Purosangue, the BMW XM, and the Alfa Romeo Stevio Quadrifoglio.

We could even get a Dodge SRT Durango, too, as well as the Ford Edge ST.

Not sure what I’d do for Chevrolet, though. But I certainly want to see at least the Dodge Ram Rebel and Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 to round out the other two performance pickups in GT7.

Heck, I’d even be down to see a Bentley Bentayga - but probably not the Rolls-Royce Cullinan, since the former brand seems to have a more notable history of motorsport whereas the latter does not. (Though I did hear a Cullinan won in its class at the Rebelle Rally once, and I think that it was even a factory-backed team!)

Last edited:
I want to see lifted trucks and off road suv type vehicles. No thanks, I’ve never met anybody that has gone to a car show looking at SUVs. Old trucks, yes. While we’re at it why don’t we add minivans and transit vans and big rigs, afterall it is the real driving simulator.

why don’t we add minivans
Honda Odyssey from GT4-6 says hi.

And the Avantime I mention in the article, although that's a very awkward vehicle to actually classify as a two-door, four-seat MPV.

and transit vans
Who can even imagine performance Transit vans? Ludicrous!

1673111119414.png

1673111166428.png

and big rigs
Yeah, what kind of moron races those, eh?
1673111035445.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure that people are buying SUVs because they are car enthusiasts. Minivans were popular few years or decades ago, probably more for their convenience than for their spirit / sportivness or for what they were bringing in term of "car culture". Still, they've never been abundant in the GT series.

I'm not for them both being added to the game, but to be honest I don't really care if they come. As long as other cars do not remain alone in their categories...

SUVs are some of the most pointless vehicles around and the last thing racing games need is to have them, especially when GT is missing all sorts of machines like up-to-date GT3s, prototypes, touring cars, road hypercars, EVs etc.

Linking SUVs to car enthusiasts seems really out of touch.

Funny you should mention this. I owned a Datsun 260Z, and saw myself selling it to buy back the car I sold to buy the Z in a first place. Not a crossover, but a SUV. A 2013 Nissan X-Trail 71° North Edition. Upgrade from my 2011 LE model before it, although basically identical except some silver trim and 360° camera + GPS. Both with that gorgeous brilliant white pearl paint.

I don’t regret it at all. The Exxie is such a great car. And with two small kiddos it’s safe. My Z was a 2+2 but I couldn’t possibly drive it with kids. The weather here in Norway is nasty these days. I help people who drive off the road, instead of joining the statistic.

To put it short: I love cars and a huge Nissan enthusiast. But I’m not rich, I need a car I can rely on, and works in all conditions, from driving on pure ice to asphalt, from driving on test tracks to driving my kids to daycare.

When I get rich, see me enter Euro Rally with this car. :lol:

Last edited:
SUV just don't fit into a circuit based racing game like GT7. They're not even fitting on the offroad courses made for WRC like machines since they're not the latest Dakar stage. They're fine in Forza Horizon or even Need for Speed or the Crew where you race besides normal roads. But that isn't happening in GT7. Even that real world Jaguar E-SUV-Cup crap during Formula-E was axed.

Last edited:
Back