Kazunori Yamauchi Reveals Gran Turismo's Origins in CEDEC Keynote Presentation

• Thread starter Famine
  • 113 comments
Appreciate the lady in charge of Toyota liking the idea of Gran Turismo. So cool.
Kaz talking to Toyota executives for 2 hours explaining how car washes will make the Supra more beautiful than it already is in Gran Turismo: images - 2022-08-23T182200.634.jpeg

Naughty Dog lost the plot after uncharted IMO
If you mean TLoUP2... yeah, can't say I disagree with you.

But other than that, genuinely, ND are one of the best when it comes to plants and foliage. Find myself gawking at their work every time.

This is nothing new, he started with Motor Toon Grand Prix and after that he wanted to do a realistic thing with real life cars, quite easy
Actually - as already well established and also written in the article - he wanted to do a realistic thing with real-life cars first. It was MTGP that convinced SCE to allow him to do it.

There's also three entirely new pieces of information in the article.

If you mean TLoUP2... yeah, can't say I disagree with you.

But other than that, genuinely, ND are one of the best when it comes to plants and foliage. Find myself gawking at their work every time.
Lol, it's one of the greatest games ever made ¯\(ツ)

You'll have to wait until PS6 for that bro.

Edit: Kaz talked about a game that inspired him in arcades, I wonder what such game was? Pole Position perhaps?
I am speculating, of course, but if it was an early 90s arcade racer, there's a chance it could have been Daytona USA or Ridge Racer, given their popularity. Pole Position feels a tad too early, Kaz was a teenager when that came out.

I am speculating, of course, but if it was an early 90s arcade racer, there's a chance it could have been Daytona USA or Ridge Racer, given their popularity. Pole Position feels a tad too early, Kaz was a teenager when that came out.
Just wishful thinking but it would be cool if kaz worked with namco to help bring the franchise back.

Last edited:
All these tree talk and people didn't remember the complaints about 2D trees back then?
Really I dont get the fuss about trees and vegetation
If you are racing, and you keep paying attention to the trees, chances are, you're gonna crash into one of those trees.
The important thing to have very well done and very detailed is the track and cars. The rest is very secondary

Really I dont get the fuss about trees and vegetation
If you are racing, and you keep paying attention to the trees, chances are, you're gonna crash into one of those trees.
The important thing to have very well done and very detailed is the track and cars. The rest is very secondary
Yeah. It's why GT7 looks the best in motion, even compared to other games. You may have 3d trees but if those trees pop in close to you it's a lot more distracting than 2d trees.

The trees and vegetation are part of the track.

2D cardboard cutout trees just look awful especially when you're zoning out down the Mulsanne Straight.
No, they are part of the exterior environment, outside the track, not part of the track itself.

Pointless semantics. They're part of the track environment. They don't look any less ugly just because they're on the other side of a fence.
Not pointless - trees are not part of the track in any kind, they're not part of racing at all, you dont have to look at them, and they dont even need to exist
If you watch a football game, you stop watching the game and go outside the stadium to watch the building next to it, or the parking lot? So that's my point.

Not pointless - trees are not part of the track in any kind, they're not part of racing at all, you dont have to look at them, and they dont even need to exist
If you watch a football game, you stop watching the game and go outside the stadium to watch the building next to it, or the parking lot? So that's my point.
The stadium itself isn't part of a football game but they sure spend millions making them look pretty instead of just building a bare concrete box.

Last edited:
Back