Kazunori Yamauchi Will Keep Making Gran Turismo, Also Wants to "Do Something Different"

I would like to see where his creativity would go in developing a different game. I mean, if he is saying he wants to do something different and this is still Gran Turismo, or racing game related, oh boy, what a boring guy he is.

“Well, I intend to continue Gran Turismo going forward, which will be in the same boat as the car culture and automobile industry. At the same time, I would like to also do something different.

I assume it is translated so may not be 100% accurate but that given quote is pretty clearly suggesting the "something else" does not pertain to car culture and automobiles.

"Same boat" sounds robot translated. Odd to mix a boat metaphor with cars.

Or it's all about boat racing now!!!!!. :eek::lol:

Why in the world are people so obsessed with wanting an Open World game from PD after reading that Kaz "Wants to do something different"? PD aren't at all a studio that does Open world games nor does "Doing something different" mean making a different kind of Gran Turismo.

He can't even deliver on Lambo/Porsche VGT, and he wants to predict how technology/society will evolve in 50 years? Come on.

upload_2021-4-18_3-15-33.png

While I get the point being made, I fail to see what this interview (Where he is asked what he envisions in 50 years, not predicting) has to do with the VGTs not making it to GT Sport.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-18_3-15-8.png
    upload_2021-4-18_3-15-8.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
This makes me wonder, has Omega Boost ever actually been talked about with Kaz in an interview?

Kids racing game -> driving simulator -> bike simulator spinoff sounds like a relatively natural progression for a game developer, but a mecha shoot 'em up thrown in there...? Just a curveball. I'd be interested to hear how he feels about it today and its spot in the Polyphony legacy.

Some people have to understand, Kaz creating an open world Game IS something different. He considers Gran Turismo, a driving simulator. Even though, it's a racing game.
By making an open world game, that's really about driving, it could be packaged as: The Real Parking Simulator.

Probably not for him. But someone else probably will. How about a Gran Turismo Land?

Where visitors can play sitting in the real cars. And real cars can be brought into race.

Like this x1000.

o7hkhgmxcwdudrqinaky

I share the desire for Tourist Trophy 2, even if that's not the nebulous "something different" alluded to.

In the 15 years since it was released no other motorcycle game has had better feeling controls; what they achieved with making rider weight transfer and bike steering work together in their first try is phenomenal!
Driveclub Bikes is fun, but there's a lot of assist wizardry going on that can't be disabled. TT IoM RotE and Ride 3 I really enjoy, but the bikes feel like they don't have riders attached by comparison.

While I get the point being made, I fail to see what this interview (Where he is asked what he envisions in 50 years, not predicting) has to do with the VGTs not making it to GT Sport.

Because, as per thread title, how can Kaz manage the time/resources to create something entirely different when he struggles to even meet deadlines for GTS content and development for the next game? The GT release date delay meme is just so cliche at this point, but it has proven true time and again it's not even funny.

I think Kaz' vision is great. Without GT1 all those years ago sim racing wouldn't have enjoyed the immense popularity it has today. But it takes more than just vision to make a good game these days, especially as games are getting more complicated and the competition has long since caught up and left GT in the dust in many areas. He could stay as the producer and creative director, but hire someone else to be project manager to do the day to day running and set clear goals and deadlines for the team.

As an example, Kaz has repeatedly said that car models in GT5/6 are future proof. Come PS4 and GTS, they had to remodel everything again and that's why GTS has so few cars at launch compared to GT5/6 (even excluding Standard models). Now they said GTS models are future proof, but I bet you that won't be the case when GT7 drops and we will see some cars missing again. While it's good to think long term, sometimes you just gotta focus on the project right in front of you and optimise it for the current gen.

I think what he said in the article is interesting, but in a "cool story bro" vibe rather than any concrete future predictions or some obscure hint at a second game.

I actually can't imagine what he means by creating something that feels more real than reality, but I doubt it's just referring to automotive.

y5bqhEMO5Sunnuksulx5q_wqDrM=.gif
My guess is the RPG epic he talked about years ago,some sort of co-op adventure where you need to make desicions with someone else,and the co op nature makes the game feel real,something like that.

I would just give Kaz the Transformers IP,Omega Boost level of combat with sweet gran turismo models

Back