Kazunori Yamauchi Will Keep Making Gran Turismo, Also Wants to "Do Something Different"

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 15, 2021.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

NAXEHT, ProjectF, KiroKai and 11 others like this.
  2. danimac

danimac

I wouldn't mind if Kaz and the team created an open world Gran Turismo like Horizon for us PlayStation fans to enjoy. Maybe Tourist Trophy someday again. I'm glad he still wants to continue and evolve Gran Turismo for the future.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    HarVee, NanoSaibou, ProjectF and 18 others like this.
  3. 05XR8

05XR8

That human drama he wanted(wants) in the franchise. Kaz may be way ahead. How about that open world.mentiomed above, but add in the experience of buying that first car in the game, driving up to your garage in your new home/apartment, greeting your own Mr Jenkins and taking them for a drive to the country.

I'll mean, he's so far ahead, as usual, but technology is getting there. In the same way George Lucas wanted to do the kinds of movies where, the technology caught up to his visions. Kaz might be closer to putting his visions to market... properly.

4. PSN:And-War

PSN:And-War

Omega Boost 2 confirmed ;)

ProjectF, VXR, Doomotron and 2 others like this.
  5. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

He should make an initial d game.

Auditore, NanoSaibou, VXR and 2 others like this.
  6. NekoPufferPPP

NekoPufferPPP

Holy :censored: yeah! Quick! Someone call Genki!

7. traind

traind

The 50 years in the future question was actually just asking about GT8's release date.

:lol:

8. StPeterMartyr

StPeterMartyr

"... a world where people feel more reality than the real thing"
    Looks like a contradiction or some sort of dystopian slogan... (old fart comment)

wolf4263 and HopAlong like this.
  9. PJTierney

PJTierney

Kaz is a camera nerd, so I wonder how he'd approach a full-on photography game. Doesn't necessarily need to be automotive, but "Gran Turismo Snap" could be a neat concept.

ProjectF, J24681357, KiroKai and 5 others like this.
  10. O604

O604

I say build a Video game museum. Japan should have a video game museum.

ProjectF, barak181 and eran0004 like this.
  11. MIE1992

MIE1992

Reminds me of another second-party Japanese developer who's known for developing a very popular series. If GameFreak's Drill Dozer is anything to go by, I'm sure that if Polyphony Digital tried making a game that isn't Gran Turismo, it could be really good.

Well, there was that special AE86 that was in GT4 - I think it was gifted to the creator of Initial D.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  12. Anonanon

Anonanon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaz adds Initial D cars, "special condition" events, even some very narrow environments, support for a round based race structure (GT5 rally), has acknowledged that he feels compelled to honor Japanese automotive culture, yet never actually added Japanese touge races? Forza Motorsport has done that since the first game.

13. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Kaz, my man, can we get a Motor Toon Gran Prix 3?

WJHMH and AgentBlackDog like this.
  14. I was thinking that , there already is one though.

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  15. samdu

samdu

As much as I'd LOVE another Tourist Trophy, I think that if Kaz wants to do something other than GT, I'd like to see him do something totally different from GT. Something really out there.

16. Bloodytears

Bloodytears Premium

Kojima here, Kojima there, but here he is - Yamauchi, new lead producer of Silent Hill.

17. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

They had that chance with Driveclub honestly. Something I think Sony dropped the ball on.

18. SomeGamer2021

SomeGamer2021

An open world GT would have me delighted.

19. VXR

VXR

That would be perfect for their move into mobile. Mix the game images with the real world for pocket Scapes action.

20. Raphaele

Raphaele Premium

I'm missing a motorcycle game like Tourist Trophy which never has been developed to perfection. When it comes to GT I really love to have most GT4 features back like qualifying before race attending. I also miss the thrill of buying a semi-racing exhaust using my first credits gained.

21. Epic B

Epic B Premium

What I want is another Tourist Trophy. Gran Turismo but with motorcycles is a perfectly sound concept that deserves to get another shot, whether as a standalone title or as an expansion to a mainline GT.

BrunusCL82 and VXR like this.
  22. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

I don't mean to rain on parades and all, but why are people so obsessed with 'open world' games? I just don't see that happening, nor as a good option. So I would drive my car around a city or whatever just to go from race to race? GT isn't NFS Heat, I can't comprehend this for some reason.

Jerome

ShiftingGears and LeGeNd-1 like this.
  23. 05XR8

05XR8

Depends what his vision is. If we had use of avatars, in the way Grand Theft Auto characters move around, it's more immersive.

Not only driving around, but interacting with other players, via those avatars.

Imagine entering a lobby. It's a show n' shine lobby. You're in your car, pull up next to another car. A player is standing next to their car. You exit your car and ask to drive the next person's car. They grant your wish and you then drive their car around a circuit or town and bring it back(with empty fuel or full tank. Whatever.).

We don't know what Kaz would possibly come up with. Many of us can imagine what IS possible for him to come up with.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    JDMKING13, NanoSaibou and ProjectF like this.
  24. Tricky Vega

Tricky Vega

Any pieces of news from Kaz is good news.

I'm pretty sure he is seriously considering making an open world driving simulator based on Gran Turismo for the PS5's second half lifespan.

25. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Honestly Kaz is a great visionary, but this is the exact reason we need a second person at the helm: an actual project manager that can stick to deadlines and set reachable targets for the current console gen.

He can't even deliver on Lambo/Porsche VGT, and he wants to predict how technology/society will evolve in 50 years? Come on.

Agreed. If you look at the career structure of GT, it's very static and has been basically the same since the first game. If PD tries to make an open world game it's going to be utterly dull. Not to mention poor low speed physics and numerous invisible walls getting in the way.

If anyone wants a sim-like open world game, get Assetto on PC. We have huge open world maps with 100kms of roads like Shuto Revival Project, LA Canyons, Glen Sheil, etc. Much better physics and virtually unlimited cars. Ok there is no "career" mode, but when was the last time you played an open world game that doesn't have a cheesy story anyway?

BrunusCL82, VXR and TokoTurismo like this.
  26. Famine

Famine Administrator

It's so odd that when Yamauchi says he would like to do "something different" than Gran Turismo as well as Gran Turismo, most responses (not just here, but including social media comments) are people suggesting it should be Gran Turismo but bikes, or Gran Turismo but open world.

I actually can't imagine what he means by creating something that feels more real than reality, but I doubt it's just referring to automotive.

[​IMG]

Bloodytears, ProjectF, 35mm and 2 others like this.
  27. Abyss1

Abyss1

god please no ...I get enough anime from gt sport livery’s

28. sanrensho

sanrensho

Oh Kaz! Want to try something different?
    Try releasing titles on schedule!

29. O604

O604

Like Cyberpunk 2077? :p

girabyt3 and Tricky Vega like this.
  30. Tricky Vega

Tricky Vega

I agree, and probably because most of people (including me) do not expect Kaz to do anything else than a better Gran Turismo game for now.

Because I'm sorry to say that but now at the end of the PS4 era I'm looking back on the fact that GT Sport was the most beautiful car game but not the best, Project Cars 2 feels miles above in term of driving realism and track conditions.

That's why I don't expect him to do anything else than improving Gran Turismo which I still love à lot.

And actually a role playing car game in an open world can be considered as something else, like a kind of realistic Need for Speed Payback for instance.