Kazunori Yamauchi Will Keep Making Gran Turismo, Also Wants to "Do Something Different"

That human drama he wanted(wants) in the franchise. Kaz may be way ahead. How about that open world.mentiomed above, but add in the experience of buying that first car in the game, driving up to your garage in your new home/apartment, greeting your own Mr Jenkins and taking them for a drive to the country.

I'll mean, he's so far ahead, as usual, but technology is getting there. In the same way George Lucas wanted to do the kinds of movies where, the technology caught up to his visions. Kaz might be closer to putting his visions to market... properly.

Reminds me of another second-party Japanese developer who's known for developing a very popular series. If GameFreak's Drill Dozer is anything to go by, I'm sure that if Polyphony Digital tried making a game that isn't Gran Turismo, it could be really good.

He should make an initial d game.
Well, there was that special AE86 that was in GT4 - I think it was gifted to the creator of Initial D.

Last edited:
He should make an initial d game.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaz adds Initial D cars, "special condition" events, even some very narrow environments, support for a round based race structure (GT5 rally), has acknowledged that he feels compelled to honor Japanese automotive culture, yet never actually added Japanese touge races? Forza Motorsport has done that since the first game.

I wouldn't mind if Kaz and the team created an open world Gran Turismo like Horizon for us PlayStation fans to enjoy. Maybe Tourist Trophy someday again. I'm glad he still wants to continue and evolve Gran Turismo for the future.

As much as I'd LOVE another Tourist Trophy, I think that if Kaz wants to do something other than GT, I'd like to see him do something totally different from GT. Something really out there.

I wouldn't mind if Kaz and the team created an open world Gran Turismo like Horizon for us PlayStation fans to enjoy. Maybe Tourist Trophy someday again. I'm glad he still wants to continue and evolve Gran Turismo for the future.

They had that chance with Driveclub honestly. Something I think Sony dropped the ball on.

Kaz is a camera nerd, so I wonder how he'd approach a full-on photography game. Doesn't necessarily need to be automotive, but "Gran Turismo Snap" could be a neat concept.

That would be perfect for their move into mobile. Mix the game images with the real world for pocket Scapes action.

I'm missing a motorcycle game like Tourist Trophy which never has been developed to perfection. When it comes to GT I really love to have most GT4 features back like qualifying before race attending. I also miss the thrill of buying a semi-racing exhaust using my first credits gained.

What I want is another Tourist Trophy. Gran Turismo but with motorcycles is a perfectly sound concept that deserves to get another shot, whether as a standalone title or as an expansion to a mainline GT.

I don't mean to rain on parades and all, but why are people so obsessed with 'open world' games? I just don't see that happening, nor as a good option. So I would drive my car around a city or whatever just to go from race to race? GT isn't NFS Heat, I can't comprehend this for some reason.

Jerome

I don't mean to rain on parades and all, but why are people so obsessed with 'open world' games? I just don't see that happening, nor as a good option. So I would drive my car around a city or whatever just to go from race to race? GT isn't NFS Heat, I can't comprehend this for some reason.

Jerome
Depends what his vision is. If we had use of avatars, in the way Grand Theft Auto characters move around, it's more immersive.

Not only driving around, but interacting with other players, via those avatars.

Imagine entering a lobby. It's a show n' shine lobby. You're in your car, pull up next to another car. A player is standing next to their car. You exit your car and ask to drive the next person's car. They grant your wish and you then drive their car around a circuit or town and bring it back(with empty fuel or full tank. Whatever.).

We don't know what Kaz would possibly come up with. Many of us can imagine what IS possible for him to come up with.

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on April 15th, 2021 in the Gran Turismo Series category.
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on April 15th, 2021 in the Gran Turismo Series category.

Any pieces of news from Kaz is good news.

I'm pretty sure he is seriously considering making an open world driving simulator based on Gran Turismo for the PS5's second half lifespan.

Honestly Kaz is a great visionary, but this is the exact reason we need a second person at the helm: an actual project manager that can stick to deadlines and set reachable targets for the current console gen.

He can't even deliver on Lambo/Porsche VGT, and he wants to predict how technology/society will evolve in 50 years? Come on.

Jerome

Agreed. If you look at the career structure of GT, it's very static and has been basically the same since the first game. If PD tries to make an open world game it's going to be utterly dull. Not to mention poor low speed physics and numerous invisible walls getting in the way.

If anyone wants a sim-like open world game, get Assetto on PC. We have huge open world maps with 100kms of roads like Shuto Revival Project, LA Canyons, Glen Sheil, etc. Much better physics and virtually unlimited cars. Ok there is no "career" mode, but when was the last time you played an open world game that doesn't have a cheesy story anyway?

Last edited:
It's so odd that when Yamauchi says he would like to do "something different" than Gran Turismo as well as Gran Turismo, most responses (not just here, but including social media comments) are people suggesting it should be Gran Turismo but bikes, or Gran Turismo but open world.

I actually can't imagine what he means by creating something that feels more real than reality, but I doubt it's just referring to automotive.

y5bqhEMO5Sunnuksulx5q_wqDrM=.gif

It's so odd that when Yamauchi says he would like to do "something different" than Gran Turismo as well as Gran Turismo, most responses (not just here, but including social media comments) are people suggesting it should be Gran Turismo but bikes, or Gran Turismo but open world.

I actually can't imagine what he means by creating something that feels more real than reality, but I doubt it's just referring to automotive.

y5bqhEMO5Sunnuksulx5q_wqDrM=.gif

I agree, and probably because most of people (including me) do not expect Kaz to do anything else than a better Gran Turismo game for now.

Because I'm sorry to say that but now at the end of the PS4 era I'm looking back on the fact that GT Sport was the most beautiful car game but not the best, Project Cars 2 feels miles above in term of driving realism and track conditions.

That's why I don't expect him to do anything else than improving Gran Turismo which I still love à lot.

And actually a role playing car game in an open world can be considered as something else, like a kind of realistic Need for Speed Payback for instance.

Last edited:
Back