Kimi talks with Williams? - No. Signs with Lotus Renault for 2012

I think it would be entertaining.

Imagine. Kimi going out in a 2012 Williams. After one lap, radio chatter:

"This car is ****, I can't get any ****ing heat in the ****ing tires."

A McLaren zooms past him, almost clipping his front wing:

"Lewis is such an ***. We're so slow. We should just ****ing park it and wait for everyone else to come in."

-

I can dream, can't I? :lol:

What would be funny is if Williams built the best car next year with a new group of hot shot engineers (the same Alien Breed Newey came from) and Rubens won the championship with them. Then he says "And you guys were going to give me up for the even wackier former Ferrari driver, KR.
facepalmu.gif
"

Great dream

I think it would be entertaining.

Imagine. Kimi going out in a 2012 Williams. After one lap, radio chatter:

"This car is ****, I can't get any ****ing heat in the ****ing tires."

A McLaren zooms past him, almost clipping his front wing:

"Lewis is such an ***. We're so slow. We should just ****ing park it and wait for everyone else to come in."

-

I can dream, can't I? :lol:

Actually, you might be spot on. :lol: Personally, I just think there's really no reason not to want to see Kimi back. It's his own risk. And why wouldn't you want to see Williams take a step forward with something as entertaining as this? F1 excitement is a good thing, even if it flops in the end. So what, move onto the next thing if it does.

Actually, you might be spot on. :lol: Personally, I just think there's really no reason not to want to see Kimi back. It's his own risk. And why wouldn't you want to see Williams take a step forward with something as entertaining as this? F1 excitement is a good thing, even if it flops in the end. So what, move onto the next thing if it does.

Sach my friend...is that a virgin MVR-02 in you're Avatar...

I thought you had better taste.

I hear Kimi makes his own ice cream now days. Sort of like Ben and Jerry, but instead James and Kimi.

What would be funny is if Williams built the best car next year with a new group of hot shot engineers (the same Alien Breed Newey came from) and Rubens won the championship with them. Then he says "And you guys were going to give me up for the even wackier former Ferrari driver, KR.
facepalmu.gif
"

Great dream

That would quite possibly be the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind. :D

To stay on the track he would have to follow Trulli. That is what you are supposed to do. By going off track he gained a massive advantage. That is called CHEATING but he got away with it. 👎

Actually any other driver would have backed off, because running wide would have gained them an advantage that they would have been forced to give back.

It's odd as to why the Stewards allow it, but in the first lap scramble they always take a blind eye. We see 3 or 4 drivers run wide here every race.

If you back off here, you lose 2-3 places before les combes. As he didn't gain places whilst off the track (They were just a result of the better run up into Eau Rouge) I think he wouldn't have had to give them back. Have the stewards ever penalised someone here on the first lap?

I'm still eager for this announcement. I think unless Williams provide a half decent car (Like 2010 for example) they're going to be battling with Caterham. Raikkonen vs Kovalainen?

I think Williams should find a new sponsor and drop Maldonado. After what he did to lewis in Spa, he doesn't deserve a seat in any team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9636888.stm

Jackie Stewart would like to see Raikkonen come back - but he doesn't think it will happen.

After what he did to lewis in Spa, he doesn't deserve a seat in any team.
The stewards believes Hamilton had provoked him. Maldonado ran wide at the first half of the Bus Stop, and Hamilton took the opening - but in doing so, he forced Maldonado off the dry line through the second half of the corner. With the track constantly getting drier as the session went on, the move robbed Maldonado of a chance to better his qualifying position. Even if the alternative was Hamilton missing the next qualifying period, that was his problem for not timing his run properly. It was just another example of Hamilton showing no respect for other drivers.

Rich S
He'll be PO'd when he cant break out of Q2. :mad:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBP1T_jw5w">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb9atyI8mg">YouTube Link</a>

Exactly. I dot know why he thinks he could do this. He should just go into sportscars full time. He is driving for Peugeot next year at Le Mans I believe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9636888.stm

Jackie Stewart would like to see Raikkonen come back - but he doesn't think it will happen.

The stewards believes Hamilton had provoked him. Maldonado ran wide at the first half of the Bus Stop, and Hamilton took the opening - but in doing so, he forced Maldonado off the dry line through the second half of the corner. With the track constantly getting drier as the session went on, the move robbed Maldonado of a chance to better his qualifying position. Even if the alternative was Hamilton missing the next qualifying period, that was his problem for not timing his run properly. It was just another example of Hamilton showing no respect for other drivers.

Maldonado was forced wide by the cars infront, as he was too close to follow into the apex when the speed (And therefore the gap between the cars) reduced. He caught Barrichello, who was being held up by a slow moving Lotus back at Blanchimont, so he had already lost a second or two and wasn't going to beat his time.

I can understand Maldonado's frustration, but you never intentionally collide with another driver on track, even as an act of revenge. I wouldn't want a driver like that in my team, but I guess the threat of losing their main sponsor acted as a deterrant.

I wonder if they're ever going to announce something...

I wonder if they're ever going to announce something...
Williams will eventually announce their driver lineup. But I think too many people are seeing that this is the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and that Abu Dhabi is near Qatar, and sponsorship from Qatar is said to be integral to Raikkonen going to Williams, so they're all putting two and two together and started expecting an annoucement this weekend, oblivious to the fact that the answer they've come up with is five (or, in the worst-case scenario, they say "with Kimi, two plus two equals five can be right"). Both Williams' investor Toto Wolff and Raikkonen himself have only recently admitted that they're in negotiations, Raikkonen has said nothing has been signed, and Claire Williams - Sir Frank's own daughter - has said that the team will not decide on anything until after Brazil.

After seeing Kimi hit the kid and not care...I no longer have respect for him.

I also feel bad for the kid because of her parent, she didn't seem to care and instead kept pressing KR for a autograph instead of tending to her kid. Then some parents wonder why their kids grow up and don't come home ever again for the holidays.

EDIT:

Grammar fix

Last edited:
LMSCorvetteGT2

I also feel bad for the kids parent cause she didn't seem to care and instead kept pressing KR for a autograph instead of tending to her kid. Then some parents wonder why their kids grow up and don't come home ever again for the holidays.

What happened?

I also feel bad for the kids parent cause she didn't seem to care and instead kept pressing KR for a autograph instead of tending to her kid. Then some parents wonder why their kids grow up and don't come home ever again for the holidays.

It's not that Raikkonen didn't care. Kimi didn't even hit the child at all, it was the pestering woman. And he at least looked back. Also, we don't know whether the woman was the child's mother. Even if it wasn't, she could have stopped anyway, yes.

ABU DHABI: Williams should sign Kimi Raikkonen for next season, McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said on Friday in a ringing endorsement of his former driver.

"Try and sign him," he told a post-practice news conference at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix when asked what advice he would offer team founder Frank Williams about the 2007 world champion.

"We all know he's quick," he added. "I think people underestimate how intelligent he can be.

"I hope that he's hungry, I'm sure that he hasn't lost the capability to thrill us in Formula One. I think it would be fantastic for Formula One."

Raikkonen, who won his title with Ferrari, quit Formula One for rallying at the end of 2009 but remains hugely popular with the fans.

He has confirmed talks with Williams about a comeback while that team's shareholder Christian 'Toto' Wolff has said the Finn is one of several options as a possible replacement for Brazilian Rubens Barrichello.

Frank Williams, attending the same news conference, said it was "not clear exactly" who would be in his cars next year.

"I'm sure (Venezuelan) Pastor (Maldonado) will be in one car, Rubens maybe. We haven't really made up our minds what we want to do before we talk to Rubens," he added.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali agreed with Whitmarsh, while recognising that Williams needed no advice.

"I know Kimi very well, he's very talented and very strong and if he wants to come back then for sure he has something he wants to show to everyone about him and the fact that he was the last world champion with us," he said.

Racetrack rivals agreed a Raikkonen comeback would also liven up the social scene.

"If Kimi decides to come back, I think the main difference for me will be that the parties after the races will be a little bit better," said Team Lotus's Finnish driver Heikki Kovalainen.

Raikkonen, so often monosyllabic in his F1 news conferences, had an off-track reputation as a party animal.

Among other exploits, he once entered a powerboat race in a gorilla suit as 'James Hunt' and was photographed asleep on a bench with an inflatable dolphin outside a Spanish nightclub.

"I had a few drinks and danced. Why not?" Raikkonen was quoted as saying afterwards.

Michael Schumacher, the seven-times world champion whose place at Ferrari was taken by the Finn at the end of 2006, enjoyed some memorable post-season parties with Raikkonen.

The German, who made his own comeback last year after three years out, was reluctant to offer any advice but could see potential for entertainment.

"I would be very happy to see him back. We have had some very good times and I look forward for some on track and off track occasions - it will be good," he said.

Getting back into the groove after a couple of years away might not be too difficult either.

"In the end, you think how much can you recall your potential. How much can you drive the car to its limit. That is the main concern that was answered right away at the first test," said the 42-year-old Schumacher of his own case.

"It took me probably 15 laps to sort of get back and drive the car, not at its full limit but close and from then on it is just a matter of time. I am pretty sure with Kimi he is capable of doing so."

On the whole "Kimi cheated at Belgium 2009" thing. I'm finding it damn difficult to find any decent videos of the first laps of each race at Spa but I'm pretty sure I remember a lot of drivers before and after 2009 doing the same trick. Its pretty commonly accepted that you can run wide there on the first lap because the entire field is so tightly bunched its easy to get pushed out wide. To simply call Kimi out for this isn't really fair.
Honestly, its kind of pathetic to refer to one incident in Kimi's entire career I don't even know why its been brought up. As Alex said 3 or 4 pages ago, Kimi was always on fire at Spa. One simple running wide incident is pretty insignificant compared to the rest of Kimi's career.
This isn't exactly dirty Schumacher regularly crossing the line.

1) I'm pretty sure Williams did not enter into negotiations with Maldonado until it was decided that Hulkenberg would be leaving.
2) If Hulkenberg was as awesomely talented as people describe, then it stands to reason that he would have the easiest time of finding sponsors. Sponsors attach themselves to the most promising young talents, because they stand the best chance of getting into Formula 1 and get them exposure.

I believe Medion - Adrian Sutil's sponsor - pay Force India about $8 million per year. PDVSA are said to pay Williams $15 million. With Williams desperately in need of sponsors at the end of 2010, and with Hulkenberg's potential, it should have been no trouble finding two sponsors at the same level as Medion, getting them maximum exposure for a bargain price.

Medion is therefore not really just a "personal" sponsor then are they? Especially as their sponsorship appears reasonably prominently on the cars (rear wing endplates if I recall correctly).
Usually personal sponsors get space on the driver's helmet and sometimes on the overalls and other minor areas. Look, the point is that it isn't fair to compare drivers who clearly have family ties and bigger connections to those that don't. I don't know what Sutil's relation to Medion is, but I'm guessing it isn't exactly a relationship found from just results or "looking for sponsorship". And I'm pretty sure I remember Sutil's personal sponsors being Capri-Sun....

Success doesn't necessarily relate to sponsorship. Just because Hulkenburg has an excellent record and is rated very highly doesn't make it any easier to find sponsorship. There are litreally thousands of racing drivers throughout history who have been easy F1 material with the resultss to prove it but have never made it due to sponsorship difficulties. This is not becuse of lack of trying.

You only need to look outside of F1 to see the evidence of this. In the BTCC for example, Turkington in 2009 won the championship and the following year wasn't driving due to lack of sponsorship/funds. F1 is no different. Results do not always equal sponsorship.

Maybe you need to re-watch the video, Kimi didn't hit anyone. The woman ran into her own child trying desperately to get an autograph.

I saw the vid, and you can spin it anyway you want, but any decent human would stop and make sure the kid was alright. Yes there was a book, but even when I bump into random people at the store or they bump into me I apologize, not walk off and look back with an awkward expression of confusion "what...should I keep walking or stop?"

I also feel bad for the kid because of her parent, she didn't seem to care and instead kept pressing KR for a autograph instead of tending to her kid. Then some parents wonder why their kids grow up and don't come home ever again for the holidays.

EDIT:

Grammar fix

Ah, when you watch it carefully you can tell Raikonnen sees the kid at the last second and steps around, the mom is the one who plows her child with the folder, then keeps autograph hunting after the incident.

Raikonnen was probably scared to stop. He figured he'd run away, or was busy at the time and needed to hurry it up.

Back