Kimi talks with Williams? - No. Signs with Lotus Renault for 2012

Er no, Raikkonen is a fairly popular WDC who had an amazing amount of speed behind the wheel of F1 car, if a tad inconsistent and disappointing near the end of his Ferrari career.
Quit twisting the topic to a purely-negative outlook. We get it, you don't like Raikkonen. I was never a huge fan either. The fact remains he is pretty popular and is an exciting prospect for a lot of people if he returns to F1.

Spa became much less interesting without him I'll say that much.

Last edited:
Liked his ballsy "use ALL of the curb" style, was great fun to watch. So glad he'll be back even if if he is in a Williams.

Funnily enough I was actually thinking of the several times his spectacular driving around the circuit was great to watch, but whatever.

I think the competition for seats is too great for Kimi to even buy his way in. Forget him.

True, and he will most likely end up like Micheal, not doing good. Micheal was a test driver for Ferrari, and even got to drive each years car upon his return, and still couldn't drive great. I know the Mercedes is a different car, but still.

That was a big deal. It's Michael Schumacher - a seven-time World Champion and the single most decorated driver in the sport making his return to Formula 1.

Kimi Raikkonen is a one-time World Champion who quit the sport because he was bored (and paid off) and is now exploring a comeback because he hasn't had the success he was expecting in his extra-curricular activities (because let's be honest: would Raikkonen be talking to Williams if he was competitive in the WRC?).

Williams "needs" this. :sly: They got rid of Hülkenberg who did a great job in my opinion. :(

Barrichello is getting old...yet they keep him because he's a fan favorite. :sly:

The ideal team for them would be raikonnen and Hulkenberg!!! Or raikonnen and Maldonado. Who else would they use? Both those 2 guys are young & have the experience to race F1.

Kers and DRS is not hard to get used too. All you do is push a damned button LOL. ;)

The real issue as you've said is tires, which are a bit different. But tires change year to year anyways. Once a good driver always a good driver. Alex Zanardi still races and he has no legs.

They got rid of Hülkenberg who did a great job in my opinion. :(
I think Hulkenberg was over-rated. He might have gotten pole in Brazil (which he did in variable conditions, so it was more a case of timing his run correctly), but he tended to finish lower than he qualified.

Of more concern is the way he refused to find sponsors when he was asked to. Only a handful of drivers do not have personal sponsors, and Nico Hulkenberg certainly wasn't in that category of driver.

Hulk did a respectable job for a rookie and has been consistently reliable in his testing with Force India.
If anything I think people are beginning to under-rate rookies these days as there are so many doing a pretty good job. The bar keeps being set higher and higher each year. I can safely say that all of the 2011 rookies have earned their seats.

I echo the "like to see Hulk back" sentiments. I believe this man has a lot more to deliver, potentially more than Sutil and Di Resta.

I also don't believe it was a case of Hulk "refusing" to find sponsors. Especially considering he had done that (as everyone does) prior to his F1 career. Its silly to think that Nico could ever have found enough personal sponsorship to rival what Maldonado brought. Most personal sponsors do not bring significant amounts of money, usually only enough to pay the driver's wages and a bit more. But not "buying the seat" kind of money.
For all we know Hulk has found the cash to replace the money Sutil takes away if he is indeed kicked out.

Last edited:
Its silly to think that Nico could ever have found enough personal sponsorship to rival what Maldonado brought.
1) I'm pretty sure Williams did not enter into negotiations with Maldonado until it was decided that Hulkenberg would be leaving.
2) If Hulkenberg was as awesomely talented as people describe, then it stands to reason that he would have the easiest time of finding sponsors. Sponsors attach themselves to the most promising young talents, because they stand the best chance of getting into Formula 1 and get them exposure.

Most personal sponsors do not bring significant amounts of money, usually only enough to pay the driver's wages and a bit more. But not "buying the seat" kind of money.
I believe Medion - Adrian Sutil's sponsor - pay Force India about $8 million per year. PDVSA are said to pay Williams $15 million. With Williams desperately in need of sponsors at the end of 2010, and with Hulkenberg's potential, it should have been no trouble finding two sponsors at the same level as Medion, getting them maximum exposure for a bargain price.

Yes, because deliberately running wide at La Source and using that to rob Force India of their first victory was thrilling.

See kids, this is what you get when you cross a Ferrari hater, and a Raikkonen hater. I'll be honest, I wasn't happy with that at all, in fact I remember being furious, but that doesn't make Kimi any less of the incredibly talented driver he is, and because Kimi wasn't penalized, nor was he even investigated or reprimanded for it, the stewards saw it as legal. Plus, runoff in real life isn't like a video game, it's very dirty and bumpy, and there really isn't that much of an advantage gained as you might think.

See kids, this is what you get when you cross a Ferrari hater, and a Raikkonen hater.
And your post is what we get when someone points out all the flaws in your posts in another thread - you come looking to do the same to them in another thread ... but it's immediately obvious, and fools nobody. Stop trying to start flame wars because your pride is wounded.

Look, I think that Raikkonen has had his chance in F1, and he decided to leave. On a good day, he was quick, one of the best drivers on the grid, but he got lazy in my opinion. Like in '08. He had just won the title, then his performance trailed off, where as, Massa almost, and should have, won the title that year. And before I get accused of being a Ferrari or a Raikkonen hater, Ferrari is one of my favorite teams.

And your post is what we get when someone points out all the flaws in your posts in another thread - you come looking to do the same to them in another thread ... but it's immediately obvious, and fools nobody. Stop trying to start flame wars because your pride is wounded.
Do you not understand humor......:nervous:

Lay off tad. Its just a thread.

Williams is changing drivers a lot. Probably not the smartest idea but their searching for that someone special; havent had a win since last century!!! Kimi Raikkonen will find a sponsor. He's a big shot after winning the world championship. No I dont think he can challenge Vettel, but he might be able to get some funding into their program.

Prison monkey is a prison monkey. :)

Last edited:
That's because it wasn't intended to be humourous.

Raikkonen has apparently admitted to taking part negotiations with Williams on Finnish television. With one of the team's investors, Toto Wolff, having also admitted that they have been negotiating, some people are expecting Williams to annouce Raikkonen as one of their drivers as early as tonight.

I don't even understand what this is all about. Raikkonen won the 2009 Belgian GP after OVERTAKING Fisichella , something Fisi couldn't find a way to do.

Prisonermonkeys likes to play around, his hate towards Ferrari has nothing to do with him twisting the truth this time. If it had, it would be a clear breach of the AUP. As it's not, regard his post as a joke. And laugh :D

Yes, he overtook Fisichella - but because he ran wide at La Source, he was able to carry more speed through the corner, down to Eau Rouge and up to Les Combes.

The first. Although Raikkonen did not claim the lead until the fifth lap of the race, his move at the first corner put him in a position where passing Fisichella was possible. If he had followed the racing line at the start, he would not have been able to catch the Force India.

ok, I guess by now you realize that you were mistaken. Kimi's overtake on Fisichela was achieved without using any runoff area.

Nicely saved though ... but be more careful (and factual) next time you speak of robbing wins. Kids read these threads and short memory is afflictive nowadays, they might get the wrong impression on a truly amazing win by Raikkonen.

PS - Now for a bit of unbiased report from a guy that is not a Kimi fan, nor a Ferrari fan, but no hater of both. Kimi's victory was amazing, no doubt. And the one-on-one battle between him and Fisichela was also amazing. And a great drive from both.

However ... what Kimi could do that Fisi couldn't (pull an overtake in direct battle) needs to be explained, and isn't exactly flattering for Kimi. But has nothing to do with runoff area use. It's called KERS. Kimi had it, Fisi didn't.

And that decided the race outcome.

No, I'm not mistaken. Raikkonen's move at the start put him second on the road behind Fisichella. When Button, Hamilton, Grosjean and Alguersuari crashed out as Les Combes, the safety car was deployed. If Raikkonen had not run wide, he would have been further down the order when racing resumed, and he never would have been able to have a crack at Fisichella. And it's not like he was forced wide at the start - he deliberately drove off.

No, I'm not mistaken. Raikkonen's move at the start put him second on the road behind Fisichella. When Button, Hamilton, Grosjean and Alguersuari crashed out as Les Combes, the safety car was deployed. If Raikkonen had not run wide, he would have been further down the order when racing resumed, and he never would have been able to have a crack at Fisichella. And it's not like he was forced wide at the start - he deliberately drove off.

Trulli was in the way. Raikkonen's options were either back off or go wide and not sacrifice his exit, he did what any driver would do.

If he gained such an advantage, why did it take him another 4 laps to overtake Fizzy? Had he followed the track boundaries and tried taking the corner, he would have either smashed into Trulli and caused a first corner pile up or would been rear ended by another car. He ran wide, but to suggest that Kimi should have simply forced his way back onto the track straight into a very tight pack would be complete and utter foolishness.

Where would he have fitted in? :ill:

If he gained such an advantage, why did it take him another 4 laps to overtake Fizzy?
Because of the safety car. Using the run-off on the outside of La Source put Raikkonen second on the road. Then the accident as Les Combes happened. When the safety car peeled off and racing resumed, Raikkonen was able to pass Fisichella. If he had not run wide at La Source, he would not have been second at the restart.

Even if he ran wide to avoid another car at La Source, he still gained an advantage by leaving the confines of the track. He started sixth, and wound up second after that corner. Anyone who gains an advantage leaving the circuit is expected to give the positions back.

Trulli was in the way. Raikkonen's options were either back off or go wide and not sacrifice his exit, he did what any driver would do.

To stay on the track he would have to follow Trulli. That is what you are supposed to do. By going off track he gained a massive advantage. That is called CHEATING but he got away with it. 👎

Raikkonen's options were either back off or go wide and not sacrifice his exit, he did what any driver would do.
Actually any other driver would have backed off, because running wide would have gained them an advantage that they would have been forced to give back.

That looked like some of the online races in GT5. :D

You can run wide in F1, without being penalized. You cant do it chronically. :sly:Its at the discretion of the stewards.

GO KIMI!!!! F1 2012!!!!

Kimi is cleaner than Vettel. Vettel is dirty at times.

No 90% of GT5 racers would not make it one lap in real life if they drove the real car the way they do in GT5. ;)

Back