kingcars' 250rwhp/13 second Tbird project (new project brewing 2/6)

  • Thread starter Thread starter kingcars
  • 242 comments
  • 16,027 views
Spill! I wanna know
 
I can't remember if I've already mentioned it in this thread or not...but since everyone has forgotten, I'll just keep it quiet for now :) . I'd love to have it ready for when the 306 goes back in.
 
JCE
Underdrive pulleys are a huge WIN on SBF's. Can't wait to see the 5.0 back in the 'bird. :D

Your wish has finally come true. We finally got the old 5.0 regasketed last week and got it running again yesterday. After a torturous 3 months without the Tbird, I'm absolutely thrilled to be driving it again. Luckily we were able to add a few extra goodies while we were in there; the Mark VIII electric fan, 130amp alternator, and underdrive pulleys all made it on the car and are working like a charm. I forgot how torquey this engine was, and even moreso now with the bolt ons. I drove it around all over the place last night, rarely taking it over 3500rpm...I don't need to cause it sits you back in the seat at surprisingly low rpms. It's REALLY fun to drive now, maybe even moreso than the 306 was...I may take out the 2 degrees of retard on the cam when the 306 goes back together to bring back some of the low end power. Anyways, here are some pics:

0725091154small.jpg


0725091507small.jpg


tbirdresurrection001small.jpg


tbirdresurrection003small.jpg


tbirdresurrection004small.jpg


I still have to get some pics of it now that it's 100% complete and I give the engine bay a good cleaning. In light of the good news of the 5.0 back in and running, the 306 is getting its fair share of goodies as well! Since its taking forever to find another used crank shaft to use, dad bought me a brand new cast steel crank as a graduation gift (cast steel is stronger than cast iron, and lighter too) and the machine shop is going to balance, clearance, and assemble the whole short block for us! I figure it should be ready to go again in another 2 months or so, we'll see. Well that's it for now...hope to have a few more pics and maybe a video or two up in the coming weeks. And yes, there will be a couple of exterior mods coming in the near future...even a slight interior mod too. :sly:
 
Mods that aren't engine related?!?!
 
Mods that aren't engine related?!?!

Shocking, isn't it? :dopey:

Dont worry guys, it's nothing flashy or extravagant...the interior mod is more for functionality and piece of mind, not looks. The exterior mods are going to be very subtle, yet add a nice touch to the car. You'll see :) .
 
Mmmmm 5.0 awsomeness.
 
Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit clearer...today it kept looking like rain but never really did, so I didn't get around to washing it. I did drive through a few small showers as I cruised around so I'm glad I didnt wash it. I tell ya what though, guys, between the driveshaft vibration being fixed, the regasketing work, and all the bolt ons on this engine, the car has never driven/run/rode/shifted/etc this good. Ever. It's finally feeling like it came from the factory this way. I love it. I don't think I've ever purely enjoyed it this much.
 
Last edited:
Took a couple of pics yesterday after I washed the car...luckily they were taken BEFORE I had to drive it through rain :( (gotta love how the weather is clear for 3 months while the car is down, then it rains for several days straight once I get it back)

tbirdresurrectionfinished004small.jpg


tbirdresurrectionfinished005small.jpg


tbirdresurrectionfinished001small.jpg


tbirdresurrectionfinished009small.jpg
 
Nice and clean 👍

What are the extra holes in the inner fender by the intake from/for?
 
Not for anything...it's well known that most (if not all) fox body cars have random holes scattered around the engine bay as if they were shot with a 12 gauge shotgun on their way out of the assembly line. But they can sometimes come in handy when trying to mount, say, a relay for an electric fan, as seen in the 2nd pic down just in front of the passenger side shock tower.
 
Just got off the phone with the machine shop - after a problem with the crank (the company sent them the wrong one...idiots) everything is going fine again and they'll be assembling the short block next week. So finally, it looks like I'll have the engine back in the garage very soon for final assembly and install. I can't wait!!!
 
Keep us updated!
 
I just found this thread, and I have to admit, that I thought resurrected meant you wreck the TBird. Thank God I was wrong.:dopey: Great looking car, can't wait until you get your 306 back in it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to build the 306 the first time? I know you said the 5.0 cost you $375, but what about the GT40 heads, and Cobra intake?
 
I just found this thread, and I have to admit, that I thought resurrected meant you wreck the TBird. Thank God I was wrong.:dopey: Great looking car, can't wait until you get your 306 back in it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to build the 306 the first time? I know you said the 5.0 cost you $375, but what about the GT40 heads, and Cobra intake?

Thanks for the compliments. As for the 306 cost, I could have taken several different routes with it to save money, but I ended up deciding not to take shortcuts and I'll explain those as I go through the list:

Stock 5.0 engine - $375
GT40Y Aluminum heads - $575
NOTE: I could have saved about $300 here by going with cast iron GT40P heads and gotten about the same HP, but having a set of aluminums had always been something I really wanted, so this was splurge #1. And the guy we dealt with was great - took us for a ride in the car they were installed on, and drove an hour and a half to deliver the heads to my house in person.
Stock 5.0 cam - free, came with the engine
GT40 Intake/throttle body - $200 shipped
1.7 ratio roller rockers - $125 shipped
19lb injectors - free, used over from my backup engine
Forged pistons - $575
Machine work - $525
NOTE: This is where I really spent most of the money. I could have saved about $700-800 here by either just using the bottom end as-is and just having it re-ringed. Or I could have taken a middle ground and saved about $300 by going with hyper-eutectic pistons instead of forged. However, with my future plans of a supercharger, I didn't want to spare expense in the bottom end. The 2nd iteration of the 306 will be even better with a brand new cast steel crank which is lighter and stronger than the used stock cast iron crank that was in the first build. With the new crank, forged pistons, and ARP rod bolts, the bottom end should be very stout and allow for a lot of future upgrading without having to take the engine out.

Then I'd say there's another few hundred bucks in odds and ends kind of things. I got reusable rubber/steel lined gaskets for the oil pan and valve covers, new fuel regulator, 255lph fuel pump, ARP head bolts, Cobra valve covers, yada yada yada. If there's one thing I leaned, its that the nickel and dime stuff KILLS you at the end of the project. I hated this part of it haha. I'm glad that I pretty much have everything already this time around except for a couple of gaskets.

So at the end of the day, I'd take a safe bet and say that the whole shebang cost maybe $2800. That's really not bad for a pretty much brand new 300hp engine that should last a good 200k miles, especially considering that I took a more expensive route in building it and it's already prepared for much more hp.

My dad has always told me that whenever you take on a big car project, figure out your budget, double it, and that should be a safe bet. He was right. I thought I was gonna skate by and take shortcuts, but when the time came I decided against doing that, and I'll be glad I did in the long run. I could have gotten the same horsepower from spending about 1/5th the money, but I want an engine that's going to last a long, long time, and be able to take a little beating along the way as opposed to just taking an old 5.0 and putting heads and intake on it.
 
Last edited:
Wow, I guess crate engines aren't too overpriced! Thanks for the reply.
 
man that thing is screaming for a Kenne Bell whipple charger in the future, your new crank should laugh at some boost! have you thought about dechroming the grille yet? (:
 
Wow, I guess crate engines aren't too overpriced! Thanks for the reply.

I've heard some bad things about crate engines. It just depends on your goals. I had a specific goal in mind and wanted to do it to the highest quality I could afford. Crate engines often don't come with strong internals and such (though I haven't looked lately). My build was a very expensive way around with a lot of extras that crate engines dont come with. And nothing beats the satisfaction and pride of building your own engine by hand then giving it a good beatdown at the track! :sly: So obviously, given the choice, assuming you have the means and know how, I definitely recommend building it yourself. You learn so much and get so much pride out of it. Even with the potential (and probable) troubles and frustrations, it's the best way to go in the long run IMO.

man that thing is screaming for a Kenne Bell whipple charger in the future, your new crank should laugh at some boost! have you thought about dechroming the grille yet? (:

Hehe thats why I've put some good money in the short block! :dopey: Unfortunately, the 5.0s dont use the same style supercharger that you mention. The one I'm looking at is this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VOR-4FA218-010/?image=large

But that's only coming after some suspension work and body/paint work...and then I need a beefier tranny and rear end before I think about putting that kinda power through the drivetrain. It's a nasty snowball effect.

As for the grille...it's staying as is. I may get a spare one down the road and toy with some body color ideas with it but nothing I'm really looking into for a while. There's a mile-long list of stuff to do before I get to that.
 
My friend finally uploaded the pics she took of my car at the track a few weeks ago:

tbirdattrack.jpg

^one of my fav pics already

tbirdattrack3.jpg


tbirdattrack2.jpg

Me about to get pwnd by a stout GTO that was running low 8s (1/8th mile)
 
At least you had the balls to run him! :lol:
 
What did you run?

And make that first pic your avatar :p
 
Full tank of gas, high heat/humidity, extra passenger, and bad shifting propelled me to a 9.92. Not bad honestly...my first trip to the track with the 5 speed resulted in a 9.78 and that was with a 1/4 tank of gas, cool November weather, and just me in the car. Aiming for 9.6s if I still have this engine by the time the cold weather comes around.
 
Not bad. Hopefully you'll have the other 5.0 figured out by then. Do you know what the problem with it was yet?
 
No - we're not going to know. All we can do is hope it doesn't happen again.
 
Wow, over a year since I've updated...well, after quite a few major setbacks, the 306 is finally alive again!!! We have also done a few other things as well, as you'll see in the pic-spam below:

59292_437782788023_667463023_5031056_5402408_n.jpg

Dual-speed electric fan control system. Have a pair of beefy 80-amp relays hooked up between this and the electric fan. No more reliability problems! It's a really slick setup and works perfectly with what you'll see in the pic below...

59074_437379003023_667463023_5022080_930707_n.jpg

Mechanical oil pressure gauge and an electrical water temperature gauge. The fan control reads off of the water temp gauge; they're a match made in heaven. Having the oil pressure gauge gives me huge piece-of-mind when driving around.

And now for round 2 of the 306 build...

72267_467688778023_667463023_5557991_234888_n.jpg

Degreeing the camshaft.

149992_468303223023_667463023_5567815_4012480_n.jpg

Heads, timing cover, and valvetrain components all set

156249_475042773023_667463023_5655007_8265365_n.jpg

Ready for paint....Merry Christmas to me!

149561_475157583023_667463023_5656315_5917688_n.jpg

She's ready to return to battle!

75621_475434348023_667463023_5661134_3787590_n.jpg

About to drop her in...

149600_475446048023_667463023_5661327_3722791_n.jpg

She's in! A very welcome return to the Tbird's engine bay!

156354_475570908023_667463023_5663093_589158_n.jpg

Minutes away from the first startup!!! My heartbeat getting fast by this point...


And she's aliiiiiiiiive! Finally!!! This isn't a video of the very first startup, but she did fire the first time I turned the key, which was awesome :D . Sorry for the low volume on this vid; windows movie maker made it kinda quiet.

Nearly-finished pics...

306finished3small.jpg


306finished4small.jpg


That's it for now. So far she's maintaining oil pressure just fine. We did find the culprit behind last year's failure - the camshaft walked backwards and gouged my lifters. The metal shavings found their way into the short block and the rest was history. I can assure you that we took every precaution this time around so that it won't happen again. Here are the list of changes between 306 round 1 and 306 round 2:

- Brand new, stronger cast steel Eagle crankshaft
- Fully balanced rotating assembly
- Electric fan
- Underdrive pulleys
- New lifters
- New, stronger 1-piece pushrods
- New pressure plate for nicer clutch pedal feel
- And the nice Cobra intake plaque to match my valve covers :D

Although I havent gone WOT with it yet, it feels incredibly strong...definitely feels like a 75-80hp upgrade. Well that's about it for now...hope you all enjoyed the update!
 
Sweet! I was wondering when that thing was finally come back to life! We need vids amigo :D
 
Vid is in my previous post :) (captioned with "And she's aliiiiive...")
 
Ohhhh I just thought that was a pic of the first idle :lol::doh:
 
Find a speed shop and tell us how much she puts out at the tires!
 
Back