kingcars' 250rwhp/13 second Tbird project (new project brewing 2/6)

  • Thread starter Thread starter kingcars
  • 242 comments
  • 16,027 views
Find a speed shop and tell us how much she puts out at the tires!

I plan on doing so in about a month. With actual oil pressure and a few extra goodies this time around, I'm hoping to crack the 250whp mark. It definitely feels like it!
 
AWSOME! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear/see more video!

FYI, I've got a plan for a Ford 302 engine myself in the future. ;)
 
JCE
AWSOME! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear/see more video!

FYI, I've got a plan for a Ford 302 engine myself in the future. ;)

That'll raise some eyebrows. Do you have the 302 already?
 
The mother of a friend of mine had a similar thunderbird (fox body, but not sure which year) with a red bird on the hood similar to those found on Trans-ams. I don`t know if that bird was stock or not but I remember thinking that car looked pretty cool when I was young. The actually caught fire, don`t know how or why but it was totaled. She replaced the car with a Audi A8. Bleh:yuck:. That car was probably one of a very few fox bodies in Norway at the time. Fox bodies are still pretty rare cars here, never seen one myself.

But anyway a T-bird with a manual gearbox is awesome.👍
 
That'll raise some eyebrows. Do you have the 302 already?

No not yet. When I get ready for the 302 I'm thinking about buying an elderly person owned Towncar, Thunderbird or Crown Vic with the 302 for $1,000 (what I've seen them go for) and swap out some Mustang bits and engine performance bits. I could then literally sell the car for $250 or part it out to recoop some money. It will definitely be a huge shock at car shows when someone asks what's under the bonnet (hood). It will be something like...

the dude: "hey there, what ya go under the hood?!"
me: "it's a 302"
the dude: "oh nice an old Camaro 302"
me: "no, a small block Ford 302"
the dude: "...eh?
me: *pops the hood*
the dude: "wow"

:lol:
 
The mother of a friend of mine had a similar thunderbird (fox body, but not sure which year) with a red bird on the hood similar to those found on Trans-ams. I don`t know if that bird was stock or not but I remember thinking that car looked pretty cool when I was young. The actually caught fire, don`t know how or why but it was totaled. She replaced the car with a Audi A8. Bleh:yuck:. That car was probably one of a very few fox bodies in Norway at the time. Fox bodies are still pretty rare cars here, never seen one myself.

But anyway a T-bird with a manual gearbox is awesome.👍

That's interesting. I've never seen a fox Tbird with a bird on the hood. I hate to hear that it got totaled though, especially in an area where they're even rarer than they are here by me :( . I take pride in being a little different. As for the 5 speed...yeah...that seems to intrigue people the most. V8 luxo-barge with a stick lolwut

JCE
AWSOME! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear/see more video!

FYI, I've got a plan for a Ford 302 engine myself in the future. ;)

That would be a fun project! One of these days, my spare 5.0 HO will be finding its way into a 1st gen Miata. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12.8, and can carve corners with the best of em. I've seen a video on youtube with a Focus that had a 351W in it, and it was an awesome clip! I'd love to see your 302 swap :) .

As for buying a 302, you can get a stock Mustang 5.0 HO for dirt cheap; I got the one that served as the basis for my 306 build for like $450. Or if you find a SO version (out of the Vics and Tbirds etc; the non-Mustang version), just let me know...I have spare HO heads and intakes layin around.
 
That would be a fun project! One of these days, my spare 5.0 HO will be finding its way into a 1st gen Miata. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12.8, and can carve corners with the best of em. I've seen a video on youtube with a Focus that had a 351W in it, and it was an awesome clip! I'd love to see your 302 swap :) .

As for buying a 302, you can get a stock Mustang 5.0 HO for dirt cheap; I got the one that served as the basis for my 306 build for like $450. Or if you find a SO version (out of the Vics and Tbirds etc; the non-Mustang version), just let me know...I have spare HO heads and intakes layin around.

Awsome, thanks for the heads up. :D I'll most likely come to you on the tuning questions in the beginning until I get the hang of it.
 
Here it is, finally...a good video of the 306 in action. Mostly just an overview/ride along, but a couple of WOT runs thrown in as well.



And for those who just want the best WOT clip without watching the rest, here it is

\

This can be moved to member's rides as well.
 
Hey guys, it's been a while! Did a little impromptu "photoshoot" a few weeks ago with a really old school 35mm film camera. The pics came out pretty awesome considering the camera's age, and I like the old school look that the film gives.

newstellapic5.jpg


newstellapic1.jpg


newstellapic2.jpg


newstellapic3.jpg


newstellapic4.jpg
 
My god, lower that thing a little! :lol:
 
My god, learn to post constructively in threads! 👎

Stick to your import stuff if you're gonna post crap like that. Some of us don't like ricer ride height, nor does everyone have the money to do everything they want to do. I eventually plan to get this type of stance for the car:

thehawk.jpg


But unlike many people, aesthetics are low on my priority list. So please, don't come into my thread posting unfounded criticism.
 
Last edited:
My god, learn to take a little constructive/joking criticism. Jesus ****ing Christ.
 
I think he is mad.

I dunno, you mad son?

Seriously, relax a bit and try not to look like the typical "oh muscle head" car guy.
 
No madness, just not into the whole "lets post an ambiguous negative comment that can easily be misinterpreted" thing that people sometimes do. I don't into import threads saying "LOL RICERZ SUCK." Trust me, I take loads of flak on the ride height, so it's nothing new and nothing I get mad over. But if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it right after the 5 speed swap when the front end sat about 1.5-2 inches higher that it does now ;) .

Typical "muscle head" car guy? Rofl. Funniest thing I've heard all day. Same could be said for the import guy coming into my thread telling me to lower it :sly: .
 
Hey guys, it's been a while! Did a little impromptu "photoshoot" a few weeks ago with a really old school 35mm film camera. The pics came out pretty awesome considering the camera's age, and I like the old school look that the film gives.

newstellapic5.jpg
This photo is cool! Feels old.


And when someone makes a joke about your ride height, telling you to lower it, don't flame him and show us a lowered example. That's just wrong..
 
Lookin' good man! How's the TC runnin' lately?

And have you thought about painting that grille black? I think it'd fit in pretty well with the black molding and dark tails
 
This photo is cool! Feels old.

Thanks! I agree...the old film camera adds a neat look.

And when someone makes a joke about your ride height, telling you to lower it, don't flame him and show us a lowered example. That's just wrong..

Like I said, I have people telling me to lower it all the time (which I do plan to do in the future), but those people are able to do it with a lot more tact. You don't go into someone's thread like "My god that looks terrible!" Well, I don't at least. I prefer being treated with respect. I know it's the internet and I'm the vast minority in that aspect, but I'm not gonna change just to be "cool." If it was truly a mistake on his part then I apologize, but it seriously seemed like a harsh/rude statement to me.

Lookin' good man! How's the TC runnin' lately?

And have you thought about painting that grille black? I think it'd fit in pretty well with the black molding and dark tails

Thanks! The TC is running strong. As for the grille, I wouldn't do it black but I've thought about painting it body color. I've seen others do it on their Tbirds and it looks pretty good. Idk yet, though.

Worthy to note that yesterday was the 1 year mark for the 306. Still running like a beast!
 
Apparently things get changed around a lot in about ten posts.

He said, and I quote.
My god, lower that thing a little! :lol:
Quite a bit different than:
My god that looks terrible!

Notice the lack of the word "terrible," and the smiley face. Completely changes the meaning of it. I'd say you are being overly touchy.

Now just cause.

My god, that looks terrible. I'd suggest lowering it so you don't capsize during a lane change. Would be a shame if the T-boatbird flipped over.
 
Thanks! I agree...the old film camera adds a neat look.



Like I said, I have people telling me to lower it all the time (which I do plan to do in the future), but those people are able to do it with a lot more tact. You don't go into someone's thread like "My god that looks terrible!" Well, I don't at least. I prefer being treated with respect. I know it's the internet and I'm the vast minority in that aspect, but I'm not gonna change just to be "cool." If it was truly a mistake on his part then I apologize, but it seriously seemed like a harsh/rude statement to me.



Thanks! The TC is running strong. As for the grille, I wouldn't do it black but I've thought about painting it body color. I've seen others do it on their Tbirds and it looks pretty good. Idk yet, though.

Worthy to note that yesterday was the 1 year mark for the 306. Still running like a beast!
I remember when the 306 still wasn't in there or running right! Man it's been a while
My god, that looks terrible. I'd suggest lowering it so you don't capsize during a lane change. Would be a shame if the T-boatbird flipped over.
:lol:
 
I remember when the 306 still wasn't in there or running right! Man it's been a while

Yep, I first had it finished and installed in March '09, then it died in May '09.

Notice the lack of the word "terrible," and the smiley face. Completely changes the meaning of it.

Notice how I never said that he said "terrible." I was using an example to prove my point.

I'd say you are being overly touchy.

I'd say you are carrying on about this way too long. Lets move onto car discussion, shall we? 👍

Now just cause.

My god, that looks terrible. I'd suggest lowering it so you don't capsize during a lane change. Would be a shame if the T-boatbird flipped over.

That sounds pretty on par with the 4x4 offroading jokes my poor car has been the subject of haha.
 
That sounds pretty on par with the 4x4 offroading jokes my poor car has been the subject of haha.

Truth hurts man! I think you have more ground clearance than I did before my lift :p
 
I just want to nitpick something. Your car does not have "300rwtq". It has 300tq at the flywheel.
 
Not sure what you mean. The dyno chart showed 300ftlbs....measured at the wheels

But you're right though...I'm pretty sure it has more than that now. Those are old numbers from before the rebuild.
 
Torque at the wheels is multiplied by the gear ratio and the final drive ratio. Even if you dyno'd in a 1:1 or overdrive gear, and saying you have 300RWTQ, with 3.27 gears, means you have about 91ft-lbs at the flywheel.
 
So if I'm understanding you right, the dyno "detected" the multplied version (981ftlbs = 300 x 3.27) and then calculated 300ftlbs of torque?
 
Torque at the wheels is your 300 at the flywheel times the gear ratio you were in, times the final drive gear, and then depends on your tire diameter as well.
 
Cool info. Thanks!

Though I must say that I figured you of all people would be happy about the news I posted earlier :P
 
I should mention here that while, yes, the "RWTQ" measure is somewhat misleading...

If you scale it to the actual revs the engine's doing you get a "rear wheel" torque output figure, as in it comes out to the FW torque output minus drivetrain losses.

As for the incoming drop... Woo!
 
Back