Knives, Swords, and everything in between.

Double post.

Edit: Sorry, it was the McDonalds Wi-Fi. Here's what it looks like opened:

00.jpg

And the inevitable:

0.jpg

HK Entourage + USP

My impression:

Kind of crude feel to both material & build? It was smaller than I thought it was going to be going off the measurement found online(which actually was a plus). It's an automatic, but it is slooow opening. Slow=gentle/smooth opening, so I'm down. It has safety, so I like that too. 👍

Last edited:
Can you pose with both gadgets there? :embarrassed:
You just wanna see a story on the Canadian 11 o'clock news about that Japanese guy who tried to take a selfie, and accidentally ended up stabbing & shooting himself instead. Nice try!

You just wanna see a story on the Canadian 11 o'clock news about that Japanese guy who tried to take a selfie, and accidentally ended up stabbing & shooting himself instead. Nice try!

Yeah posing with a gun and a knife in the middle of a McDonalds, what could possiblly go wrong? :P

*long face*

I'm sorry to hear this. I had no idea you didn't know how to handle these tools without putting on its safety.

:P

Edit: I took a side-by-side shot of my old knife(bottom) vs the new:

DSC_0044.JPG

I guess the "HK" Entourage is little bit larger than the Griptilian(bottom). Both knives are made by Benchmade.

My next knife might be a Kershaw though. HK wasn't a homerun like the Griptilian was. Also, while both Kershaw & Benchmade are local company, Benchmade is across town & their business hours are normal work hours. I couldn't visit themfor sharpening, or any services unless I take time off work. Kershaw is close enough for me to drop by for all that doing my lunch hour.
Yeah posing with a gun and a knife in the middle of a McDonalds, what could possiblly go wrong? :P
No, McDonalds shot was on the last page(knife closed). Their crap Wi-Fi led me to accidentally double post, which I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did!

I would never carry a handgun inside McDonalds. Just Subway, because they ask too many questions.
*long face*

I'm sorry to hear this. I had no idea you didn't know how to handle these tools without putting on its safety.

:P
Andy, it was obviously a joke! Just this once, just for you.

Last edited:
This month will be the completion of my 2nd year of intensive study of the French foil, frequently taking three sessions per week of lessons and instruction. Over the next two months, I'll have the opportunity of training with visiting masters from New York and California. Boyo boy, am I ever looking forward to that!

I also have the opportunity of beginning training in another weapon. I have several choices, including Spanish or Italian
rapier, smallsword, cane, spear, and knife. But I am strongly lusting over the longsword, so often featured in fantasy dramas like Game of Thrones - which I also lust over!

This month will be the completion of my 2nd year of intensive study of the French foil, frequently taking three sessions per week of lessons and instruction. Over the next two months, I'll have the opportunity of training with visiting masters from New York and California. Boyo boy, am I ever looking forward to that!

I also have the opportunity of beginning training in another weapon. I have several choices, including Spanish or Italian
rapier, smallsword, cane, spear, and knife. But I am strongly lusting over the longsword, so often featured in fantasy dramas like Game of Thrones - which I also lust over!

I used to do a little bit of longsword reenactment and it was pretty fun, until the group disbanded. :lol:

I used bastard sword, or otherwise known as hand-and-a-half. Great thing about those is that they can be used with either one or two hands. I could see full 2 handed longsword being very fun though. Should be in the Olympics. :D There's just so many things you can do with them; thrust, cut, slash, block, deflect and pommel.

Despite what some films and television may show you, these are very balanced and lightweight swords, around 3lbs typically. There's probably almost as many film and media inaccuracies about European longswords as there are about firearms unfortunately. :lol:

Here is my German M98/05 bayonet which recently acquired. Those are hard to finde, specially in this good condition, they're over a 100 years old and many are simply badly pitted and rusted. This one is in great shape.

This one was made in 1915, it has the German emperors marks on it and it served in the trenches of World War 1 and, as a morbid fact, it mostly likely spilled a lot of blood.

bayonet3_zpsuyk73adk.jpg

Mounted on a rifle it practically makes the rifle a spear that can shoot.

bayonet2_zpsvkbckqba.jpg

Group picture with my other bayonets. Its the middle one. The bottom one is a swiss 1905 bayonet, and the top one a German M1908 Brazil contract bayonet. Both the top M1908 and the 98/05 were made in the same factory only 7
years apart.

bayonet1_zpsifevfjeb.jpg

As most of the blades from that era, they are of outstanding quality in all areas and blow most modern, even high quality blades out of the water so hard its not even funny.

Last edited:
My New EDC

rBVaEFcDJ8GADjEvAAE9tYi9DgI906.jpg

Kershaw 4030TIKVT Nura Flipper.

Only problem, is that the pocket clip is on the bottom of the knife, versus at the hinge like the rest of my single-blade knives. Haven't quite got the hang of getting it out of my back pocket and opened with one hand easily and smoothly.

I've only used three everyday carry knives. First was some Jeep brand cheapie. Second was Benchmade Griptilian. Third, HK Entourage Automatic knife(by Benchmade). Really love Griptilian, I'll never get rid of it. Never.

I do have a new knife today however: .

View attachment 601019 View attachment 601018

I like it. It's roughly same size as my Griptilian, same Axis lock. Blade is bit longer, feels more solid. :)
Looks like a drop point, sharp only on one side, and lacking the serration feature. 3.5 inch blade? I approve of the features promoting a more secure grip. I personally insist on serrations, since they greatly enhance cutting of objects which are round in section, such as rope, vine, sausage, etc. The clip is of generous size, and appears dull in finish.

I've recently acquired a couple of very small Spyderco knives, one for a gift, another for the keyring.

Looks like a drop point, sharp only on one side, and lacking the serration feature. 3.5 inch blade? I approve of the features promoting a more secure grip. I personally insist on serrations, since they greatly enhance cutting of objects which are round in section, such as rope, vine, sausage, etc. The clip is of generous size, and appears dull in finish.
Great point about the serrated blades. I think I focused mostly on the aesthetics & build quality, didn't think much about the advantage serration offers, but you are totally right. I definitely went for the "looks" over function. Clip is a good size one I think typical with Benchmade knives & I really like them. It is painted in sort of flattish black.
I've recently acquired a couple of very small Spyderco knives, one for a gift, another for the keyring.
They are top rated knives, but I had bad experience with it once & it also left a bad taste in my mouth. I bought their entry level one made in China? Very first day I got it, I was flicking the blade out over & over, and it started to get rough & making weird scraping noise like maybe washer or something was warping, or tearing. So I returned it to Amazon, left review of what happened with I think three stars? I even said that I believed that it was an isolated case. I leave lot of reviews on Amazon & amount of negative votes I accumulated in no time, it was like all the negative votes I had ever received for everything, times ten. I took my review down & decided I will never buy another Spyderco. The end of the cool story(bro). :lol: I did like this cool looking Spyderco I came across on Amazon:

Spyderco ParaMilitary2
71Uk%2BLTAQwL._SL1500_.jpg

Great point about the serrated blades. I think I focused mostly on the aesthetics & build quality, didn't think much about the advantage serration offers, but you are totally right. I definitely went for the "looks" over function. Clip is a good size one I think typical with Benchmade knives & I really like them. It is painted in sort of flattish black.

I am not a huge fans of serrations. I already do not sharpen my knives often enough. Serrations would make me even less likely to sharpen a knife.

They are top rated knives, but I had bad experience with it once & it also left a bad taste in my mouth. I bought their entry level one made in China? Very first day I got it, I was flicking the blade out over & over, and it started to get rough & making weird scraping noise like maybe washer or something was warping, or tearing. So I returned it to Amazon, left review of what happened with I think three stars? I even said that I believed that it was an isolated case. I leave lot of reviews on Amazon & amount of negative votes I accumulated in no time, it was like all the negative votes I had ever received for everything, times ten. I took my review down & decided I will never buy another Spyderco. The end of the cool story(bro). :lol: I did like this cool looking Spyderco I came across on Amazon:

Spyderco ParaMilitary2
71Uk%2BLTAQwL._SL1500_.jpg

I really like my Spyderco Sage 1. If it were not for already having a Sage 1 and the price, then I would have already purchased a Paramilitary 2.

Last edited:
I've only used three everyday carry knives. First was some Jeep brand cheapie. Second was Benchmade Griptilian. Third, HK Entourage Automatic knife(by Benchmade). Really love Griptilian, I'll never get rid of it. Never.

I do have a new knife today however: .

View attachment 601019 View attachment 601018

I like it. It's roughly same size as my Griptilian, same Axis lock. Blade is bit longer, feels more solid. :)

Hope they didn't charge you for as much as they do their guns

I'm looking at buying a good EDC. I'm going between Spyderco Paramilitary 2, or the regular spyderco military. I'm also looking at Benchmade 940 or 943, and several others in the Benchmade line.

I've been researching on the internet for several months off and on and there's all kinds of good EDC knife makers. Ive looked at Kershaw, Cold Steel and several other brands, but the top two I keep coming up with and back to, are spyderco and Benchmade. That paramilitary 2 is supposed to be one of the best EDC's ever made. I really like the Benchmades too though, plus benchmades warranty is great, you can send it back at any time and just pay shipping they will sharpen or fix the blade.

I was reading on a knife forum, that Crusader Forge has some of the best knifes. I looked them up and they are stupid expensive. $500+. I think I'll pass on that.

I also read that Strider makes great knifes, I have to look into that a little more.

Crusader Forge
I just googled it. Some amazing looking knives, but yeah, also way out of my price range.

As for Benchmade, I'm just so used to their Axis locking system. It feels solid, I like the easy one-handed deploy/close. Griptilian was my go-to pocket knife for long time, but my current carry HK Axis(also Benchmade) does feel more solid while retaining same perks Griptilian offered like the way it handles, Axis, etc.

I went with the plain edge blade this time around for the aesthetics, but now that I've been using it, I miss the serrated blade for reasons @Dotini mentioned. :crazy:

Anywho, good luck shopping & I do recommend doing lot of research before making the pricey purchase.

SOG Mini Pentagon, 3.5 "
- excellent looking double-edge dagger style fixed blade
- useful partial serrations
- affordable price, I found it < $40
- very good grip; far better than a folder
- grey sheath rides high and tight on hip, very comfortable in daily wear, unnoticeable under untucked shirt, sweatshirt or light jacket

sog_m14-k_web_main_1_1.png

^ This photo foreshortens it ever so slightly

Last edited:
Ok these Strider knifes are the real deal as well, they were founded by ex military members. They are supposed to be the best tactical knifes around, but stupid expensive. They make a lot of their stuff out of titanium. It's hard to find many of there designs in stock anywhere. Some of them are 1k+. I like their design better then crusader forge.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Strider--54

That's just too damn much to pay for an EDC knife. If I had a knife colllection maybe. I don't want to spend over $200 on something that I can lose at work.

I've come across the term "tactical knife" several times recently. Aren't knives by their very nature tactical? What would be an example of a "strategic knife"?

Tactical knives are made with self defense in mind, or if you're in the military and have to take someone out with one. They almost always have serrated blade and a locking blade. They are more heavy duty then "normal" knives. They also usually weigh more and are a bit bigger.

Your standard Swiss Army knife may be "strategic" I guess? I don't think I would want to use it for self defense though.

I've decided to go with a spyderco. After looking on the internet a bunch on knife forums etc, I see a lot more Benchmade fans, who fell in love with the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 as their favorite EDC, than spyderco fans who switched to the Benchmade 940/943 series.

I really do love the Spyderco Military model as well, but it's quite a bit bigger then the Paramilitary 2, and would be less ideal for EDC. So I'm going to start with the Para 2, and will probably eventually get the Military model as well, because that's one bad ass knife.

Here's a picture with the size comparison between the two.

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

Last edited:
Tactical knives are made with self defense in mind...

True enough. BUT, a crazy man armed with a rusty $20 kitchen knife with a typical 10" pointed blade is going to have the advantage over your legal EDC 3.5" blade. So the best self defense is always to turn and run like hell!

I say this even though I am in my 4th year of continuous twice-a-week training in the sword, knife and spear with a true, certified Maestro in the instruction of fencing and the science of self defense. I'm learning proper form, judgement, distance, timing, angulation and self-control. Even so, getting involved in a knife fight is only a measure of the very last resort, when all other options are well and truly lost.

I'm pretty sure you (all) already know that, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to put it into words.

One of my favorite quotes from Game of Thrones: “When Barristan the Bold tells you to run, a wise man laces up his boots”.

True enough. BUT, a crazy man armed with a rusty $20 kitchen knife with a typical 10" pointed blade is going to have the advantage over your legal EDC 3.5" blade. So the best self defense is always to turn and run like hell!

I say this even though I am in my 4th year of continuous twice-a-week training in the sword, knife and spear with a true, certified Maestro in the instruction of fencing and the science of self defense. I'm learning proper form, judgement, distance, timing, angulation and self-control. Even so, getting involved in a knife fight is only a measure of the very last resort, when all other options are well and truly lost.

I'm pretty sure you (all) already know that, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to put it into words.

One of my favorite quotes from Game of Thrones: “When Barristan the Bold tells you to run, a wise man laces up his boots”.
I don't plan on ever having to stab someone! :lol: I want an EDC mainly for work, which I won't need everyday, but sometimes. I'm a super laid back person, not prone to violence. I would only use a pocket knife to defend myself as a last resort. You used a quote so I'll use one too:

"Run Away!"- from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If I was really worried about self defense, I would get my C&C and get a 1911. 👍 (Which that may happen soon too, I live a little too close to St Louis, and more and more crime seems to be seeping down this way).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I got my Paramilitary 2 for Christmas. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I love the way it feels. It's so light, it's bigger than I expected it to be, but fits in my hands great, and is perfect in my pocket with the clip. The pocket clip is adjustable in 4 different setups(point up or down, left or right. The G-10 scales feel great.

I think I'll end up getting a Spyderco Sharpmaker, for keeping the edge sharp when it gets dull. That's supposed to work really well. I'm also thinking about getting the Spyderco Military, because seeing how nice this Para 2 is, makes me want an even bigger one. I might get that one in Camo scales and the black blade.

My new EDC I got for Xmas
1990_profile_1020x400.png

Kershaw 1990 Brawler spring assisted.

Little thicker for the back-pocket than my last few EDC knives I cycled through, but enjoying it none the less.

My wife looks at me like I'm crazy when I'm just opening it and closing it sitting on the couch.

Well I had some Amazon gift card money left over, so I decided to get some items for keeping my knife sharp. I got the Spyderco sharpmaker. It comes with two sets of "rods", but also ordered a set of ultra fine rods. They make diamond rods, but they are $50 and that's for using on a pretty neglected/abused blade, so I don't need those yet.

Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener 204MF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q9C4AE/?tag=gtplanet-20

I also bought a leather strop block, that's really supposed to make your knife razor sharp. You use it on your blade after you sharpen it. This one comes already pretreated with oil.

Knives Plus Strop Strop Block, Leather Sharpening Strop, 12 long" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8M1AW/?tag=gtplanet-20

I also found another item that I put in my save for later category. Something I may get later on this year. It's an Edge Pro knive sharpening system. It seems pricey, but supposed to work quicker then the sharpmaker.

Edge Pro Apex 4 Knife Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFFY8JI/?tag=gtplanet-20

One last thing, I found out I can redeem my credit card airline miles for Amazon gift cards(pretty damn cool), so I have $200 in Amazon gift cards coming in about 2 weeks. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the military then. I'm going to get this model with the S110v steel. S110V holds an edge better than S30V, and is more corrosion resistant. But since it's harder, it takes a bit more work to sharpen.

Spyderco Military Model Folding Knife, 4" Blade, Dark Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199VGEGE/?tag=gtplanet-20

The only thing is, the only color I can it in is Dark Blue with the Satin blade, but I think it looks pretty cool. The camo scales with black blade, or black scales black blade, all come with S30v steel.

Oh yeah, and Amazon kicks ass. 👍

Last edited:
Back