Kunos Reveals Assetto Corsa Competizione: Official Blancpain GT Game Coming This Summer

• Thread starter er185es
  • 729 comments
Doubt we will get any decent footage as i don't think there will be any media whatsoever. Assume it will be only fans, but my guess is that it's the E3 build anyways. Maybe plus Misano itself.

Doubt we will get any decent footage as i don't think there will be any media whatsoever. Assume it will be only fans, but my guess is that it's the E3 build anyways. Maybe plus Misano itself.
I also asked a (real life) racer who is driving in Misano to also visit the Kunos/ACC rig. Hopefully we will get some feedback and/or video?

A bunch of new videos were just uploaded on the official AC Youtube channel.

In this one, I think the wet physics have been improved a lot since the E3 tech demo. The car actually seems to get affected by the standing water.

Needs better windshield raindrops (could be youtube compression) and more spray kicked up, but yes I agree physics is much better 👍

Needs better windshield raindrops (could be youtube compression) and more spray kicked up, but yes I agree physics is much better 👍

I agree about windshield rain behavior, it can be improved. I am however very much satisfied with the amount of spray. It also depends probably on how much water is on the track. I find that for example spray in PCars2 is too exaggerated if you amp it up to the max in the settings. I put the amount of particles there always on the lowest setting .

Hmm, I confess I don't watch a lot of touring car races in the rain. Almost all of my rain watching experience is F1, and they do kick up wayyy more spray :lol: It can be a good thing - particle effects aren't kind to my aging gaming laptop :P

A bunch of new screenshots. This game looks amazing!

36321770_10156546909839329_631062229155840000_o.jpg

36345252_10156547337664329_5158760883664453632_o.jpg

36380534_10156547337699329_6667609119819563008_o.jpg

36340393_10156547337709329_2073963394259484672_o.jpg

36331147_10156547338024329_1136322826102374400_o.jpg

(1).png.7aafd9467b4c0bcef5af0845c02f334b.png

(3).png.a6116d5b4a2fcca1e37957217c1ad0e1.png

(5).png.bd7fb255df86d133d98cc2d734d810f8.png

(18).png.d06abf2edebc411521717c62093adb2b.png

(19).png.d396dde0db229110c9e0cde6d5003819.png

(20).png.e8a0f6b84209026612bf7a5559106c4c.png

(12).png.f6f74cf6133df4fd2d671f48bcfb977e.png

(11).png.19877b8d11fd3195de46c3997ce847d1.png

(25).png.d909b0b4fa8c75a92594e9c939229a85.png

(22).thumb.png.f8271077176d2b93f03727a2df2a3bee.png

(17).thumb.png.e03af7a8e4e0763c2bd79b4662287d9f.png

(15).thumb.png.9131cce911f97cb41db904c7db5f49f0.png

(14).thumb.png.34c47a6a42f72c54276b1b12470112d4.png

(4).thumb.png.7ab7dafe81380be82bb2c1a015bc7c16.png

(7).thumb.png.dfe301770eaf530966b63b4462d54531.png

(9).thumb.png.659be48fac7ae2cd4bdaead0f4f748ab.png

Source: http://www.drivingitalia.net/index....one-nuovi-video-e-screenshots-in-game-r24528/

True, but i fear that it will be another game that the sound quality can not keep up with the visual quality, i question the reasons of being so difficult to advance in this area..

Here's a video with commentary from Ben Green, a British GT driver. The video itself seems to be just the same press video that Kunos had released, just with a voiceover. Ben Green doesn't drive, he's just talking about what he sees

True, but i fear that it will be another game that the sound quality can not keep up with the visual quality, i question the reasons of being so difficult to advance in this area..

I think this topic needs a post by itself.
IMHO, this is the trickiest topic in simracing. Why?! Because the Devs are stuck in the middle of 2 jaws: Realism and Enjoyment.

Cars in real life, are not as "roary" as we think (especially from the interior). At least, that's why I see from real life replays and on-board footage.

If the Dev decides to go for authenticity, which most of them do by using lots of mics and actual car sounds recording; the result might be underwhelming for players who want more roar and intensity!
If the Dev decides to go for more "roary" fake sounds, some players might get upset calling it unrealistic/unauthentic! After all, why would you want a realistic physics model or realistic car models or realistic graphics but not a realistic sounds model?!

Let's not forget also, that a driver barely hears his car when driving in real life, due to external sounds isolation, earbuds, helmet, etc...
If the Dev is to adopt a realistic approach, most of us will get really upset!
Maybe PC2 approach in this matter with the helmet cam was a smart implementation.

Overall it's a tricky subject and a very hard task to balance.

IMHO, this is the trickiest topic in simracing. Why?! Because the Devs are stuck in the middle of 2 jaws: Realism and Enjoyment.

Cars in real life, are not as "roary" as we think (especially from the interior). At least, that's why I see from real life replays and on-board footage.

If the Dev decides to go for authenticity, which most of them do by using lots of mics and actual car sounds recording; the result might be underwhelming for players who want more roar and intensity!
If the Dev decides to go for more "roary" fake sounds, some players might get upset calling it unrealistic/unauthentic! After all, why would you want a realistic physics model or realistic car models or realistic graphics but not a realistic sounds model?!

Let's not forget also, that a driver barely hears his car when driving in real life, due to external sounds isolation, earbuds, helmet, etc...
Maybe PC2 approach in this matter with the helmet cam was a smart implementation.

I agree, Sector 3 and SimBin studios did an incredible job with the RaceRoom, especially regarding the transmission model, it is well balanced and pleasant, it seems that they will remain unbeatable in this area, it is a pity we do not have news of the development of the GTR3.

Just curious, how difficult would it be to implement the best of both worlds? As in, giving an option to have 'Realistic' sounds or 'Enhanced' (roary in this case). Maybe a slider that can go between both?

I'm guessing time into development and storage may be a concern? Or am I thinking too much into it.

I know we're looking at early build screenshots, so I hope there is some work being done on shadowing/sharpness in certain places. There are times were the cars seems to be floating and the brain notices that right away. Even my tiny brain! :eek: Based on those recent photos above it looks like the Gallardo G3 Reiter or Gallardo REX is still alive in ACC. I can't tell the difference.

I don't think AC sounds are an issue. I like the more muted realistic style far more than NFS/PCARS/Forza style overdone sounds, and from what I see so far ACC will keep that style.

What I would like see improved is the floating effect some people have mentioned, and the overly saturated colours. AC isn't the prettiest game around, but the colour palette have always looked natural to me. It's not as pretty as GT Sport lighting wise, but in terms of eye comfort it's up there with PD. I don't know if it's a limitation with UE4, but I hope they can recapture that AC look in the final release.

Marco Massarutto had this to say in the comment section of a Facebook post, when i replied to sort of a wheel-elitist guy who was 'worried' that controller handling improvements in ACC over AC will screw with the physics of the game and told me to go play something else if i want to be able to play with controller:

"Assetto Corsa is the choice of more than 1,500,000 gamers and motorsport enthusiasts, and at least 40% of them - if not more - don't own a steering wheel. However, thanks also to THEIR support, we have been able to continue to develop, expand and improve Assetto Corsa for many years, and now to work on Competizione. Many gamers fell in love with racing games much before to become simracers, and we want to give them a chance to fall in love with AC. Like I said [SO] many times, our approach to realism and car handling is the stronger part of our DNA and we are not going to change this approach. What we are doing is to improve the support to gamepads, and this has nothing to do with the physics, the handling or the feeling that steering wheels owners will get. Therefore, all of us, including the simracers, should be grateful that so many gamepad users supported AC, because thanks to you, but to them TOO, we can have the resources we need to provide the best simulation we are able to achieve, and we want to offer them to enjoy AC Competizione at [their] possible best, regardless the controller they can/want to buy. We don't have Class A or Class B fans, but just the best possible fans."

If you want to get the most immersion out of a sim racing title, you have to run a wheel.

I'm not an elitist, just a realist.

He knows gamepad optimization is critical to the titles success as it inevitability will release on console at some point, he's a great marketing manager.

If you want to get the most immersion out of a sim racing title, you have to run a wheel.
I'm not an elitist, just a realist.

I would never argue that and i hope no one with sim racing knowledge will ever dispute that. I had a wheel for half a year and dived deep into it and can only sign what i just quoted from you.
My problem is not with realists, but with those who feel so protective over a game that they act like little kids who don't want to share something that is not even really theirs. As if it is to them a personal attack and a disgrace if their beloved game is played by someone with a controler, god forbid!
And as i stated during that facebook discussion: Accomodating the physics engine to the controller is of course a bad thing. But adjusting how the controller works to the physics, is different and thats the only thing Kunos will do. The physics will not be worse than AC's GT3 cars just because we get better support for controller gaming.

And of course is Marco's response part marketing strategy, of course he does not want to alienate gamepad gamers, but at the same time i truly think that he is not the kind of guy (like the 'elitist') who sort of belittles or laughs down on gamepad players.
After all we all love racing games and to me, the more players can be able to enjoy a game i love ,without that game being compromised of course but rather enriched, the better.

Last edited:
From their Facebook page:

"
Listen up! During the "Total 24 Hours of Spa" BLANCPAIN GT SERIESendurance race, which takes place from 26th - 29th July 2018, we'll be giving our community the opportunity to check out and play Assetto Corsa Competizione! What's more, we'll also be unveiling the PC Steam Early Access release date. We know our community are desperate to know and thankfully, the wait is almost over!

Assetto Corsa Competizione, the Official Blancpain GT Series game, will be playable in the paddock area (Pirelli Activation Area) of the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps circuit, thanks to a special videogame tournament promoted by Pirelli and AK Informatica. PLEASE NOTE - A paddock ticket is required in order to participate.

This is the first e-sports initiative proposed by SRO Motorsports Group and Kunos Simulazioni for the Blancpain GT Series E-Sport, supported by Pirelli, Ak Informatica, RSeat and Fanatec with amazing rewards for the best drivers. Not only that, the 3 fastest drivers will get to celebrate on the circuit podium!
"

Back