KY interview: "I'm still not sure they'll be too keen on seeing their cars roll over"

  • Thread starter Thread starter MowTin
  • 65 comments
  • 5,674 views
Messages
666
The one big difference I notice between GT5P and LFS is car flipping. If you turn too hard too fast sometimes in LFS your car will flip over (which is quite fun).

I saw a Daytona crash (real life) where the car flipped over 6 times. Will GT5 have car flipping?

I know that there may be an issue with manufacturers but then what about race cars like the F1? Or other race cars?
 
I very much dont think that GT5 will have cars that flip they would have to get all manufacturers to sign and pay them more money and it would deem there cars unsafe and its one of the closes driveing sims, and people could find this a off putting and the manufacturers might be worried about sales, damage on the other hand is on the board has as far as i know.

But who knows maybe , maybe not
 
As a damage system has been officially announced for Gran Turismo, there also might be flipping. Noone but Kaz can say for sure though...
 
I doubt it. It could either mean major changes would be required to the physics engine to implemnent that or flipping is 'disabled' for the reasons as stated above (manufacters don't approve).

Would be great to see proper crash physics like that - I'd rather that, more than damage.
 
I doubt it. It could either mean major changes would be required to the physics engine...

maybe not, for all we know the code for that might already be partially implemented within Prologue, but the option to use it is just not available.

I remember reading that GT5 would have Amateur, Proffessional and Simulation physics. At the moment Prologue only has Amateur and Professional! So the Simulation physics might be the key!
 
I remember reading that GT5 would have Amateur, Proffessional and Simulation physics. At the moment Prologue only has Amateur and Professional! So the Simulation physics might be the key!

Wait. Is that true?! Will there be a new "simulation" simulation mode? :dopey:
 
Aren't the modes in Prologue called 'simulation' and 'professional'?
 
Wait. Is that true?! Will there be a new "simulation" simulation mode? :dopey:

Like I said, I read it a while ago, so it might be true and it might not. Only time will really tell what will and wont be in GT5!

Aren't the modes in Prologue called 'simulation' and 'professional'?

No, they are called 'Standard' and 'Professional'
 
No we won't see cars flipping in GT, the game largly comprises of road cars and manufacturers typically don't allow thier road cars to flip over in game. There are exceptions, but getting all the manufacturers you are including to all agree to allow it with every car is a big ask.
 
No we won't see cars flipping in GT, the game largly comprises of road cars and manufacturers typically don't allow thier road cars to flip over in game. There are exceptions, but getting all the manufacturers you are including to all agree to allow it with every car is a big ask.


Fine, I could live with that but what about the race cars?
 
I wouldn't be surprised if it implements flipping of cars when damage arrives, but I'm guessing the flipping would only occur due to an accident or similar, as I don't see car makers willing to see their cars flip on GT5 just because someone decided to do a crazy stunt on a straight (although in real life it happens).

The main reason why I can envision flipping (full-physics) being implemented along with the damage, is because of what people at PD (mainly Kaz) have been saying for a while now; if they're going to do it, they want it done right - no half-assed damage.


Of course, a situation like that would also have repercussions on another aspect of the game, as it hasn't been seen before.
Say you're on a race (doesn't matter if it's a 2-lap race or the 24h of Le Mans), you crash and flip over. Does your race end there or are you put back on the track by the hand of god?
I believe it may depend on PD implementing mechanical damage or similar, because if mechanical damage is implemented and it has the power to finish your race instead of just handicapping your car, then I believe that a possible flip-over would also terminate your race right then and there.
 
I'm pretty sure there will not be car flipping. In one interview Kazunori said that he doesn't like the idea of a car being completely destroyable.
 
I would welcome car flipping to the GT series. I wouldn't bet on it, but I also wouldn't rule it out. They are indeed promising "realistic" damage. When a race car going over 100mph skids sideways onto thick sand and grass, 5 times out of 10 it will flip and barrel-roll. This would be an awesome addition to the realism.

The only problem with it that I can see is would the race be over if you land on your roof? (Like NFS ProStreet) Or would you respawn? It's something I imagine PD have worried about already.
 
If the car flips and gets stuck on it's roof, there could be some kind of truck that takes you back to the pits, and you could re-enter the race if the damage isn't too bad... Safety cars, anyone?
 
EA's been flipping cars in need for speed for a decade now so i wouldn't be surprised.
 
EA's been flipping cars in need for speed for a decade now so i wouldn't be surprised.


Good point. I just found these YouTube videos and NFS ProStreet has car flipping.



These are real cars, so why can't GT5?
 
NFS physics looks kind a silly though (i've tryed it, and it is ridicilous)

Burnout Paradise has rather awesome deformation and flipping physics, lets hope the cars in GT will deform and flip like that. But at the right speed and reasons etc. I do not know if BP has car-manufacturer licenses?

 
Cars flipping over would mean that PD has to model the bottom of each car, which could mean, more work, more delays. I would like to see the cars flipping over (all 6 DoF's). I would like to see, like in DiRT and other off road games, if you crash and your car is damaged beyond repair, the game is over and you have to restart. This would discourage online racers from the black list to sabotage races and it would add to the realisme to the game as well 💡.

About the simulation physics. In the options menu you can choose to set the option for steering wheels to:

* Amateur

* professional

* simulation

I guess this has nothing to do with the physics engine?




:)
 
I suspect the manufacturers may have something to say about this. I know we are getting damage, and it's been a fight for PD to get this far, but showing a car flip is a little different and is taking things to the next level IMO. Yes PD would need to model the undersides (who's to say they haven't done so already ;) ), and the physics would need to be up to scratch, which I don't think they are at present, but I can't see they being any reason why we won't see this in time.

Like reverse lights, better tyre smoke, burnouts and donuts I think there are more important things which need improving/adding before we see cars flipping in GT.
 
About the simulation physics. In the options menu you can choose to set the option for steering wheels to:

* Amateur

* professional

* simulation

I guess this has nothing to do with the physics engine?




:)

Yea, iv seen that, and I dont think its to do with the physics engine, more just the way the wheel feels, and how the car responds to it.
 
I would love to see damage with flipping in accidents. its more realistic and thats what we want. Maybe have it like F1 on the PS3, the harder or more realistic setting you pick inthe menu bar means the more damage can occur. Id personally love to see full destroyable cars and mechanical failures like engine, gearbox, diff etc etc and repairs are needed for both body and mechanical by spending credits to fix em up!

Otherwise, crashing will become a novelty but if the driver is penalised by his/her errors after crashing or over revving like LFS that wud be awesome...in my opinion.
 
Okay I still don't understand this need for "realism" with accidents... I don't have accidents in real life and hardly every "wreck" in the game. If I go off course the car spins out, rarely contacts anything, so would cause a flip?

Watching "Setup" season 2 on Speed, in the next to last episode one car got clipped in the right rear wheel, spun the car left sideways but the initial contact upset the balance of the car (left to right) and it barrel rolled about 6 times before coming to a rest on its side.

In all the years I have watched mainly production car racing (open wheel is just okay), about once a season there is an accident in which a car gets air borne. Not enough for me personally to warrant putting this feature in the game.

I keep saying and I'll keep saying it accident damage is overrated. Should you be penalized for making hard contact with a solid object? Yes, should it result in body damage modeling? I don't think so... In PRD (Pro Race Driver) games you make contact hard enough to punt a car out of the way and it blows out the windshield and crumples the hood; That's unrealistic... When they make contact like that in touring cars, do you see the hoods fly up and the windshield smash into little bits? NO, so why would you expect this kind of damage in a game like GT?

If you want a true sim, PLAY one.
 
dj4monie - I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I suspect the reason most people want better damage effects in GT is so that it adds an element of risk to the game.

For example when GT4 came out and people where flying round the 'ring setting faster laps than what was possible in real life and then trying to compare them to the real World eqvialent times it didn't stack up because if you crash in GT4 you don't die, but you stand a chance of losing your head if the real World. By adding a damage model you'll find people will drive/race differently especially online, as your adding a element of risk.
 
Okay I still don't understand this need for "realism" with accidents... I don't have accidents in real life and hardly every "wreck" in the game. If I go off course the car spins out, rarely contacts anything, so would cause a flip?

Watching "Setup" season 2 on Speed, in the next to last episode one car got clipped in the right rear wheel, spun the car left sideways but the initial contact upset the balance of the car (left to right) and it barrel rolled about 6 times before coming to a rest on its side.

In all the years I have watched mainly production car racing (open wheel is just okay), about once a season there is an accident in which a car gets air borne. Not enough for me personally to warrant putting this feature in the game.

I keep saying and I'll keep saying it accident damage is overrated. Should you be penalized for making hard contact with a solid object? Yes, should it result in body damage modeling? I don't think so... In PRD (Pro Race Driver) games you make contact hard enough to punt a car out of the way and it blows out the windshield and crumples the hood; That's unrealistic... When they make contact like that in touring cars, do you see the hoods fly up and the windshield smash into little bits? NO, so why would you expect this kind of damage in a game like GT?

If you want a true sim, PLAY one.

Please take a moment to search the BTCC/DTM/WTCC on Youtube and sit back and enjoy the carnage what is Touring car racing. :) 👍
 
I'm pretty sure there will not be car flipping. In one interview Kazunori said that he doesn't like the idea of a car being completely destroyable.
So he don't want the cars to be destroyed, but he wants realistic damage? :dunce:

Am I missing something here?
 
I'm a marshal for many years now and i've seen a lot of flipping cars ...
Damage and everything about it is just realistic.
If you drive over the nordschleife in RL with your car and crash into a wall than you car will get some damage, so why not in GT5?
My most important wantings for GT5 are damage, day / night and weather changes.
 
Back