• Thread starter VDG
  • 26 comments

VDG

Netherlands
Netherlands
800px-Kyalami_svg.png

Former host of the South African GP

General Description

Undulated with a good mix of fast and 'slow' corners, Kyalami is perhaps one of the most technical of all the circuits in South Africa. If you do a count there are 9 left hand corners and 5 right-handers. The track is 4.261km long and runs anti-clockwise, a left-hand track, so to speak. Even though it's seen a fair share of fatalities over the years, Kyalami is still regarded a safe track by local standards, with ample run-off areas and kitty litter to stop you.

Picking the right lines and smooth driving are crucial if you wanna go quick at Kyalami. Some people say it's a 'stop & go' track because you come from high speed sweepers into relatively tight corners. My general advice is to put that mentality out of your mind. The easiest way to make up time at Kyalami is getting off the brakes a fraction earlier in most turns. The track is wide enough to carry relatively high corner speeds everywhere.

As a rule of thumb, any lap time below 2'10" at Kyalami can be considered relatively fast. Fast as in faster than 99.9 percent of excellent road drivers would be capable of first time out. Anything under two minutes is seriously quick, no matter what class you're talking about. Lap times below 1'50" can only be explained with ample use of vulgar lingo.
And then compare that to F1 testing at Kyalami in February 2000 when Villeneuve, Zonta, R Schumacher and Button were all in the 1'23"s...

Track History
Kyalami was originally built in 1961 as a 4.104km track. The track was widened and resurfaced in 1968, the length being marginally extended. The circuit has been used for Grand Prix and Formula One races and has hosted the South African Grand Prix many times.
When some of the F1 teams boycotted the track in 1985, the circuit was heavily revised and rebuilt, using only part of the previous track. Crowthorne, Barbeque and Jukskei sweep were either eliminated or heavily modified. Formula one abandoned the rebuilt circuit in 1993 after just two races and a bankruptcy on the part of the promoter.

The track has also played host to five rounds of the World Superbike series from 1998 – 2002 and again in 2009 when the track was altered again by removing the much hated “Bus Stop” chicane and replacing it with a fast right hand kink as the penultimate corner, turn 13.

Kyalami also hosted the South African round of the A1-GP series for the first time in 2009.

Reference: http://motoring-projects.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/kyalami-track-notes.html

Last edited:
View attachment 160183
Kyalami goes on Auction :-(

Sigh.... This just makes me depressed
In my fantasy world the track would be bought by a wealthy race fan who would restore the circuit to its old layout and return it glory... but I know that's not realistic.

Those who know and appreciate the history of racing know this is an important venue. Whatever happens to it, PD should scan it now so that it's history lives on before the track potentially goes away.

In my fantasy world the track would be bought by a wealthy race fan who would restore the circuit to its old layout and return it glory... but I know that's not realistic.

Those who know and appreciate the history of racing know this is an important venue. Whatever happens to it, PD should scan it now so that it's history lives on before the track potentially goes away.
Let's hope that the person who purchases the property keeps it the way it is. I'm really hoping that they don't decide to demolish the historic venue and build a residential estate. 72 hectares is quite a large area in the prime property area of Midrand.

Let's hope that the person who purchases the property keeps it the way it is. I'm really hoping that they don't decide to demolish the historic venue and build a residential estate. 72 hectares is quite a large area in the prime property area of Midrand.
Insuring that Kyalami lives on is important. If for some reason the track is destroyed as it is in a prime housing district I hope they can move it just outside of the city, build a new venue and stay true to the layout, either the current one or the one that existed from 1961-1988. That original layout was hugely popular with the drivers back in the day, I know Mario Andretti and company sited it as their favorite. It would be so cool if the FIA invested in duplicating the layout with modern facilities and didn't kill it by adding run off everywhere, making sure they stay true to the track, but the FIA doesn't do anything cool anymore :(

They ask 12 million dollar for the track and since F1 will not be an option, nobody will be interested buying the tracks, spend another 20 million dollar or more to renovate and maintain the track for a few years.
It a shame this track is doomed to disappear in dust. :grumpy:

They ask 12 million dollar for the track and since F1 will not be an option, nobody will be interested buying the tracks, spend another 20 million dollar or more to renovate and maintain the track for a few years.
It a shame this track is doomed to disappear in dust. :grumpy:

I was driving today and saw plenty of posters for the Auction. I don't know what the outcome is now but it may end badly... Wish PD would capture this track. Heck it's not evem far from my house

Was just doing some research on the track to see what its fate would be. I'm so thrilled that a hero came through to champion the track. I doubt F1 would ever return, but I honestly don't think it needs too. Maybe someday international sports cars can race there again, maybe GT3 cars. I'm glad we don't have to worry about the track anymore though, its in good hands. Hopefully Porsche can do for Kayalami what Red Bull has done for the A1 Ring.

I highly doubt it will ever return to the original layout that was the favorite of all the great drivers of its day, I understand that's asking too much, lol :cheers:

Love the Kyalami track but I'm always going to remember it for the tragic event that claimed the life of a 19 year old marshall and Tom Pryce. I suggest that you don't research the topic or watch the video as it is a bit sickening.

Anyway, I'd love to see some more former grand prix circuits in GT6 as they are a massive jooy to race on!

Here is what Kyalami looks like after one and half years of being sold to Porsche South Africa.
The track is being resurfaced to international specifications, the main straight lengthened, corners are modified, and safety upgrades are being made to bring the track to FIA Grade 2 standards. Upgrades to the pit building and conference facilities are also taking place.

Ingwe Corner

Ingwe-corner-640x473.jpg

Ingwe Corner

Ingwe-conrer-640x353.jpg

Ariel View of Crowthorne

Aerial-view-of-Crowthorne-640x404.jpg

Exit of Crowthorne

Exit-of-Crowthorne-640x324.jpg

Main Straight

Main-straight-640x350.jpg

Refine-Kyalami-circuit-640x415.jpg

Give this great track some love already PD even if its for the scenery alone, the 9h of kyalami in GT sport or GT7 is a must! i'm a big fan

Last edited:
Back