Mk8 Golf spied roaming South Africa

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 133 comments
Honestly surprised they are killing the manual, and the GTI in general, as I thought it was a pretty popular choice for GTI buyers. If they hadn't completely ****ed in the interior of the MK8 I might actually consider one.

facelift

1694649564630.png

1694649571796.png

1694649580966.png

How much you want to bet they improved the interior but the facelifted car won't be available with a manual in GTI trim.
100%, but I doubt the interior would be that much improved in a way where it would change people's opinions of it. The giant screen and all of the piano black plastic would still be massive detractors compared to the much better Civic Si/Type R interior

The hilarious thing to me is that piano black plastic on anything that you touch even once is known to be a horrible terrible horrendous idea since 15 seconds after the very first person took their very first CECHA PS3 out of the box on November 11th 2006; yet all sorts of manufacturers have implemented it into their cars anyway. I bought my ATS right off lease and the radio surround was so destroyed that when the CUE touch screen failed I also bought an entire new radio panel off of eBay and basically learned myself how to disassemble it and replace it. My boss bought a new loaded top trim Sante Fe a month ago and the interior is really nice yet for some insane reason Hyundai put piano black plastic on the door armrest surrounding the window switches.

100%, but I doubt the interior would be that much improved in a way where it would change people's opinions of it. The giant screen and all of the piano black plastic would still be massive detractors compared to the much better Civic Si/Type R interior
I'm a huge fan of the new Honda interiors (one of the reasons I bought one) so I agree - but the VW interior has a ton of room for improvement with just minor fixes. Scrap the piano black, particularly in the screen bezel, and provide some real buttons and you'll at least have something that isn't offensive to look at and somewhat functional. The rest of the interior is honestly OK if a bit cheap looking. I think VW looked at the Tesla Model 3 interior, saw how the complete lack of...anything...was perceived as "premium" and were like, well we can do that!

Mk8.5 officially revealed

1706416940751.png

1706416947875.png

1706416953322.png

1706416966776.png

1706417034465.png

1706416996064.png

1706417006310.png

1706417018528.png

VW is showing the updated Golf in several flavors. The hatchback comes in eHybrid and GTE plug-in hybrid forms, as well as the America-bound GTI. The more practical Variant estate is shown in the R-Line guise. The only ones missing from the lineup are the all-wheel-drive R and the GTD performance diesel.

The biggest changes on the outside are the redesigned LED light fixtures, with the more expensive Golfs featuring a full-LED headlight setup with an illuminated VW badge. At an additional cost, customers will be able to opt for a more sophisticated matrix LED setup with a high beam almost twice as powerful as the regular high beam. At the rear, the fancier taillights feature 3D-like graphics with three selectable patterns – similar to what Audi offers on some of its models.

The biggest change inside is the next-generation infotainment system with a large tablet-style screen that measures 10.4 inches on the cheaper Golfs and 12.9 inches on the more expensive models. The dreaded sliders for controlling the air conditioning system are still there, but they're (finally!) illuminated. An optional head-up display will also be available.

I wish we'd got the plug-in hybrid GTE in the US. That would be such a nice combination of fun and practical

View attachment 1323156

View attachment 1323157

View attachment 1323158

View attachment 1323159

View attachment 1323163

View attachment 1323160

View attachment 1323161

View attachment 1323162

I wish we'd got the plug-in hybrid GTE in the US. That would be such a nice combination of fun and practical
Front end has been marginally improved but I still find it to be the ugliest GOLF ever, those drooping flatline headlights just don't help its ageing profile. The Hyundai IONIQ N does a better job of being a GOLF than this lol. Estate looks boring, rather have a CUPRA lol.

I’d like the Golf to go back to the boxy style. More like this, than a sloping front.
1706433606824.jpeg

Not sure about those Alfa wheels though. Modern Snowflakes would look cool.

View attachment 1323156

View attachment 1323157

View attachment 1323158

View attachment 1323159

View attachment 1323163

View attachment 1323160

View attachment 1323161

View attachment 1323162

The way they (didn't) integrate the new screen into the dashboard design is shockingly bad. The original MK8 at used that kind of design trope of the screen extending out of the instrument cluster:

VW-Golf8-GTI-localdrive-20.jpg

It's not my favorite design idea...but it's an idea. Now they've simply deleted the integrated screen and replaced it with a big ass tablet with zero integration into the rest of the design. Man...VW has really fallen a long way in design.

Also can somebody give me a reason why we need screens approaching TV sized right in our faces? My CR-V has 7" screen and it's absolutely fine. I've never once felt like I needed a bigger screen when using apple car play. 12.9" is literally the size of my Laptop's screen.

Last edited:
Also can somebody give me a reason why we need screens approaching TV sized right in our faces?
To be fair - if they're hellbent on removing every single button in the center stack and putting everything into the screen, it can't be a regular-sized 8-9 incher, as it becomes way too cramped with some control being always visible.

To be fair - if they're hellbent on removing every single button in the center stack and putting everything into the screen, it can't be a regular-sized 8-9 incher, as it becomes way too cramped with some control being always visible.
Eliminating switchgear reducing component cost, assembly time, thereby increasing per unit profit margins thereby demonstrating to shareholders VW can continue to grow with some excessively narrow metrics and in turn reward executives with performance based compensations packages ughghaougaguuguaoiuasueu. Are there any privately owned automotive companies anymore? I actually looked and I couldn't find any.

Back