Mk8 Golf spied roaming South Africa

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 133 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Without camo.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/possible-new-vw-golf-mk8-spotted-south-africa/

Videos in link ^^^

a5083f16-vw-golf-mk8.jpg

Appears to be lower, longer and wider than the previous generation.

At this rate, the Mk10 will have similar proportions to one of the VGT concepts. :P

Do you guys think those rims are placeholders?

Anyways, the car looks sportier and better, I like it. 👍

Last edited:
Do you guys think those rims are placeholders?

Anyways, the car looks sportier and better, I like it. 👍

They look like the Mk7 GTI wheels. I’d say they’re placeholders, but then they have the whole car uncovered, as if they were filming an ad. It’s all a bit weird to me.

The design looks better suited to sporty models, the low front end looks out of place on a conventional model.

First, it *debuted* in September 2012 and went on sale in Europe in late 2012, so it's 6.5 years old max.

Second, its first year in the US was as a 2015 model. Four years for an entire generation of car is not very long.

2020-2012 = 8. Even fudging the numbers because of model year vs actual year, the MK7 golf will be at least 7 years old before the new one debuts. And the second part is irrelevant, the US market is always dumb.

Put it this way, the Passat now adds a smaller hatch to its lineup. :sly:

Anyway, it'll look proper, when it debuts on the TCR grid.

The front end is hideous and doesn't scream Golf at all to me. At least they still kept the charateristic C-shaped rear quarter panel.

vw-golf-history-hero.jpg

I hope it's just the pictures that make the back end look like it's getting the "pinched" treatment that so many other hatches/wagons have. You know what makes a hatch or wagon less efficient? A drooping rear roof and pinched quarterpanels...

The car probably won't look exactly like these prototypes. The VW group often disguises the lights by putting stickers on/around them to make it more difficult to make out the actual shape.

The car probably won't look exactly like these prototypes. The VW group often disguises the lights by putting stickers on/around them to make it more difficult to make out the actual shape.

That looks production ready to me, and those don't look like stickers. Perhaps they're doing what they did with the Hurrican when they used R8 lights to disguise the final design, but I doubt that since again this look production ready.

It looks to me like the rear lights do have stickers over them. The curvy top looks separated from the rest. The fronts look closer to actual lights, but there's still something off about them for me.

It looks to me like the rear lights do have stickers over them. The curvy top looks separated from the rest. The fronts look closer to actual lights, but there's still something off about them for me.

Looks like stickers are partially covering the headlights as well.

I just want to let you all know that this thread can be closed now. I can tell you with absolute certainty after driving a GTI S and Golf R today that the 2018 Honda Accord Sport with the 2.0T is not only more fun than either Golf, but feels faster than the Golf R. In my search for a new car, I had to try both VWs, and now I'm convinced that they're both boring, regardless of launch control or interior materials, etc. Their materials are not even worth the $4,000 premium over the Hyundais I tested today. The VWs are simply boring, I can't really describe them in any other way. I wouldn't own one as a daily because I need a car that I actually enjoy looking at and driving.

Are those stickers making up the intakes on the lower portion of the front grille? The far-side looks... off.

Back