Laaaag. Interesting. The plot thickens...

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 88 comments
That doesn't sound pleasant. This makes me wish I kept a PS4 here to try out the PS4 version for myself. But we sold all 3 of them when we upgraded. I shouldn't have done that 🙃

Edit: This is a video I made a few months ago about this exact problem.

Sounds good. Let us know what you find 👍

Edit: One possible solution to help peer to peer in lobbies would be adding an option to have PS4 or PS5 only, as Lei Wu Long suggested. I think that would help, but again, it's not going to be a cross generation game unless the main causes can be fixed. Can they be? I do not think so at this point.

Hiya tjc,
some limited, but very good news, only 3 of our group met tonight on GT7, all on PS4, all having updated to 1.23 - circumstances were such that we only had 2 races on 1 track, but it was PERFECT, like we've never seen GT7 multiplayer yet. We 4 players will be back on Thursday evening to do further testing and I'll post the results to you. You'll remember that we've done exactly this before, prior to 1.23 and had the serious car juddering problem - I'm really hopeful now
Thank you for your help and support

Hiya tjc,
some limited, but very good news, only 3 of our group met tonight on GT7, all on PS4, all having updated to 1.23 - circumstances were such that we only had 2 races on 1 track, but it was PERFECT, like we've never seen GT7 multiplayer yet. We 4 players will be back on Thursday evening to do further testing and I'll post the results to you. You'll remember that we've done exactly this before, prior to 1.23 and had the serious car juddering problem - I'm really hopeful now
Thank you for your help and support
Good to hear! So we can conclude from this small test that a few PS4s together don't have problems. In the future, are you planning to try a full lobby with both consoles? Or just your small group? Glad that it's working for you. Now you can race 😀

Good to hear! So we can conclude from this small test that a few PS4s together don't have problems. In the future, are you planning to try a full lobby with both consoles? Or just your small group? Glad that it's working for you. Now you can race 😀
We obviously need to spend more time there, to prove what we 'think' and to try my usual lobby of 10 players [ that's enough for me to keep an eye on and control ] but it's going to be Thursday 6th this week before we 4 are together again. Once I open a lobby for 10 players I think I lose control over which system [ps4 or ps5 ] the other players are using, so I may just get a mixed bag of them - a plan I've thought of is to include PS4 CONSOLE ONLY in the lobby title, and hope that its respected, although from much past experience over the years, visitors don't always respect what has been spelled out to them politely - we shall see
Its my hope that a change was included in 1.23 to present this clean level of play on GT7, even though I haven't found any reference to it from PD. Whatever we discover, as we discover it, be sure that I'll post it to you
My real hope is that it works well, and that others who may not already know of this may just tap into it, and reap the benefit

How interesting. I was in TJCgaming's lobby. Had a good race with his resident alien but I couldn't overtake because the lag was unplayable... but on TJC"s stream there was no lag at all.

I was expecting to see me lagging from his pov but it was super smooth.

I'm on a PS4 with 70Mb up/15Mb down. TJC is on ps5 but I don't know his ISP speed.

So although I don't buy the cross platform thing (because PC games have no issues and technically every single PC is of a different spec and is effectively all cross platform) maybe the cross platform issue has some weight?

See evidence below.

@ 1:55:00

Maybe it's to do with the different OS on ps4 and ps5? In which case there will probably never be a fix :(

Mattikake,
I hope that you've read my list of replies to tjc, in particular my last 2 replies - I've been replying to him because of his contribution to your original post throughout - I 'THINK' that we've achieved the result we were looking for inthat our small group can now play the game without that dreaded Laaag business.
The purpose of this message is to thank you for your original post -- it was that which led us to the great place that we think we're at right now

Mattikake,
I hope that you've read my list of replies to tjc, in particular my last 2 replies - I've been replying to him because of his contribution to your original post throughout - I 'THINK' that we've achieved the result we were looking for inthat our small group can now play the game without that dreaded Laaag business.
The purpose of this message is to thank you for your original post -- it was that which led us to the great place that we think we're at right now
I have some uses then!

So in a nutshell if only ps4 players join the lobbies are fine? That's probably going to halve the player base though.

I have some uses then!

So in a nutshell if only ps4 players join the lobbies are fine? That's probably going to halve the player base though.
Well, firstly, we obviously need to do more testing to check out this theory, for ourselves - and I don't know the GT7 PS4 / PS5 multiplayer mix, if it is 50-50 then yes it would halve the lobby guest opportunity, but the other option is to not play GT7 in multiplayer mode unless one is prepared to play in Laaag mode
I'll still post the results of our findings - and I'm still very hopeful - it'll take us a short while, but we have had this wish for many months now
It would be good if others would be prepared to test out this theory, and publish the results for the benefit of PS4 GT7 players in general

I can aid with that if i'm not league racing (on GTS!) or working.

Why not set up a psn group, add known ps4 players and send an invite?

I have some uses then!

I asked PS4 players in my chat and lobby from today's stream about how their PS4s were in my lobbies and others. They said my lobbies are fine for them and the only lag they now encounter is individual player lag, presumably if that player is having a bad internet day.

Maybe they'll be more 'player joining the track' lag on a PS4 than a PS5 user encounters, (perhaps), but the general consensus from what they told me was it's much better.

I had a PS5 player lagging and disconnecting today. But that's his personal lag on his end. Bad internet day for him.

As far as I can see so far, the mystery is solved.

Just been over at ccsim racing testing ps4 only and ps5 only lobbies and can confirm that there is no lag when all on the same console. As soon as I plebbed into the ps5 lobby with my ps4 the usual issues were immediate.

HOWEVER, there was a patch update today and I have noticed that when there is an update the lobbies run well for about 24 hours, so this test could've been skewed by that. I think their servers get reset (memory fragmentation) yes, even though gt7 is supposed to be peer to peer

Last edited:
Just been over at ccsim racing testing ps4 only and ps5 only lobbies and can confirm that there is no lag when all on the same console. As soon as I plebbed into the ps5 lobby with my ps4 the usual issues were immediate.

HOWEVER, there was a patch update today and I have noticed that when there is an update the lobbies run well for about 24 hours, so this test could've been skewed by that. I think their servers get reset (memory fragmentation) yes, even though gt7 is supposed to be peer to peer
We've had our 2 hour session tonight, all on PS4 & GT7 - first just us 4 and all was good, not 1 tiny lag - then I opened lobby to 10 players - PS4 console ONLY, CLEAN PLAY and over 8 multiplayer races where people joined, and some left, but with an average of 8 players in there, not 1 tiny Laaag - so this matches your result mattikake - we will be back next Monday evening and I'll post the results here for any who wish to know them
Other than a few players who didn't understand the word CLEAN, and were encouraged to leave, GT7 was very near perfect :-)

Hi,
After 1.23 update, I tried to come back in lobbies, and it seemed to be better, with less lag, less frame rate problems, but still some.
In the other hand, I noticed that laptimes seemed to be right for the first time. Compare with the laptimes before 1.23, when on top of lag and poor frame rate, they were sometimes incoherent.
But the day after, in other lobbies, I had the worst frame rate experience in GT7, maybe 5 fps, every 3/5 seconds, a frame rate slow down I had never seen before.
In some cases, for 3/4 days, I was streaming on Youtube, and I checked some vids few days after, and today.
I'm with PS4 Pro, with 4k screen, HDR...
When I'm streaming via GT Sport, it tells me HDR will be disabled... but in game, on my screen, I still have HDR. It seems it's not available for viewers only.
When I do it via GT7, it disables HDR for both. I don't have it for me, on my screen.
I don't understand why there is this difference, maybe something I set wrong ?
Whatever, it seems I have less lag and poor frame rate when I stream via GT7 and play without HDR myslef, compare to not stream and play with HDR !?
I know you may not had time to do all the PS4/PS5 tests when I'm writting, but can you tell me if the 1.24 has changed something to our problem ? ( I deleted the game )
Thanks

We've had our 2 hour session tonight, all on PS4 & GT7 - first just us 4 and all was good, not 1 tiny lag - then I opened lobby to 10 players - PS4 console ONLY, CLEAN PLAY and over 8 multiplayer races where people joined, and some left, but with an average of 8 players in there, not 1 tiny Laaag - so this matches your result mattikake - we will be back next Monday evening and I'll post the results here for any who wish to know them
Other than a few players who didn't understand the word CLEAN, and were encouraged to leave, GT7 was very near perfect :-)
Next update for those who may be interested - our small group of 4 all on PS4 and GT7 had our 2 hour session last night - lobby title
'PS4 CONSOLE ONLY PLEASE - CLEAN PLAY' with space for 10 players - the lobby varied between 6 and 10 players throughout the session, and we saw very little Laaag [ the opponent's car judder which is the subject of this thread ] the only Laaag judder being from 2 separate players at different stages of the races we had - I used on screen messaging to ask if they were using PS5, neither of them answered, so I encouraged them to leave the lobby - no other cars in the lobby were affected by their presence there, but that presence and juddering was disconcerting for other players
Summary - we're all pleased to have apparently reached the stage with GT7 multiplayer, that we can start to enjoy it - didn't think that time was going to come

Next update for those who may be interested - our small group of 4 all on PS4 and GT7 had our 2 hour session last night - lobby title
'PS4 CONSOLE ONLY PLEASE - CLEAN PLAY' with space for 10 players - the lobby varied between 6 and 10 players throughout the session, and we saw very little Laaag [ the opponent's car judder which is the subject of this thread ] the only Laaag judder being from 2 separate players at different stages of the races we had - I used on screen messaging to ask if they were using PS5, neither of them answered, so I encouraged them to leave the lobby - no other cars in the lobby were affected by their presence there, but that presence and juddering was disconcerting for other players
Summary - we're all pleased to have apparently reached the stage with GT7 multiplayer, that we can start to enjoy it - didn't think that time was going to come
This is absolutely great to hear. I have cancelled one of my major monthly race series due to this issue, but am glad to see preliminary results backing up the theory that the issue revolves around crossing platform play. I am in the stages of reorganizing my series with the intent of starting back up in January. Hope has been lost that this will ever run smooth when crossing platforms, but knowing that segregating the 2 platforms results in a smooth experience, thats good enough for me. Targeting January for our restart in hopes that more of my driver group end up with a PS5 before/around Christmas, so we can restart as a PS5 exclusive series. Final testing will be had on ps5 anong my group, but these findings are encouraging.

Good to hear. You can tell if a PS4 player joins the room versus a PS5 player, as the PS4 user loads in around 30 seconds. The PS5 user loads in much much quicker. Around 6 ish seconds or so.

I think it's only personal lag that's anyone's issue as of now. If the lobbies degrade once more we will be at square one again.

Daily races still have some elements of lag throughout. It's my opinion that they are running P2P with them instead of dedicated. Nations and Manufacturers seem to be in dedicated servers. Sport servers are the same, sometimes lower, quality than lobbies seem to be

Good to hear. You can tell if a PS4 player joins the room versus a PS5 player, as the PS4 user loads in around 30 seconds. The PS5 user loads in much much quicker. Around 6 ish seconds or so.

I think it's only personal lag that's anyone's issue as of now. If the lobbies degrade once more we will be at square one again.

Daily races still have some elements of lag throughout. It's my opinion that they are running P2P with them instead of dedicated. Nations and Manufacturers seem to be in dedicated servers. Sport servers are the same, sometimes lower, quality than lobbies seem to be
Thanks for the loading speed hint TJC, I'd missed that, and it'll be useful, although I can well be on track qualifying when visitors join and so I don't see down the right hand side of the screen where the new entry player scrolling takes place - we are still migrated to GT7 multiplayer though:D
:D:D

Update 1.25 and the lag is worse than ever. There is simply no point in playing this on a ps4 anymore. Well I say playing, really all I'm.doing is PD's play testing for them. I only play on GTS.

Check out some more evidence.

It's so bad now that the timing is now completely out. In this "race" on lap 2 from my pov I made a simple clean move down the inside with no contact. But from the tcehnotim22's pov (and tjc who was conveniently following) I shoved him out of the way and took him out. Evidence below.

@ 2:40

@TJC_69 stream at about 17mins in.

If GT7 can't work on a ps4 and can't do cross play with ps5, why was it sold with this capability? And as has been said, this is completely fixable. I'm now starting to wonder if Sony have told them not to so people are forced to buy ps5s. Now that the rush is over and the semi-conductor shortage is not so bad, a ps5 is a viable option for most of us.

They should only released it for ps5. They obviously bolted it on to ps4 machines to scam consumers and boost their GT7 sales.

I'm not buying a ps5 until PD sort the ffb out and stop medalling with the physics. In fact I have a problem buying anything with a Sony badge on it forever more.

Update 1.25 and the lag is worse than ever. There is simply no point in playing this on a ps4 anymore. Well I say playing, really all I'm.doing is PD's play testing for them. I only play on GTS.

It's so bad now that the timing is now completely out. In this "race" on lap 2 from my pov I made a simple clean move down the inside with no contact. But from the tcehnotim22's pov (and tjc who was conveniently following) I shoved him out of the way and took him out. Evidence below.

If GT7 can't work on a ps4 and can't do cross play with ps5, why was it sold with this capability? And as has been said, this is completely fixable. I'm now starting to wonder if Sony have told them not to so people are forced to buy ps5s. Now that the rush is over and the semi-conductor shortage is not so bad, a ps5 is a viable option for most of us.

They should only released it for ps5. They obviously bolted it on to ps4 machines to scam consumers and boost their GT7 sales.

I'm not buying a ps5 until PD sort the ffb out and stop medalling with the physics. In fact I have a problem buying anything with a Sony badge on it forever more.

I understand the frustration. It's also frustrating that the PS5 has been out for quite a while now and Polyphony put this game on PS4. It's both disheartening and an annoyance that this version isn't good with PS4 players. However, the other side of the coin is PS4 is old gen and this game wasn't built for it. In my opinion it's merely a port of the 5 version. The best way to play any new game title is on the 5. It goes without saying. It's frustrating to hear PS4 players having a bad time. However, as a PS5 owner of 3 consoles, it's also slightly a blight that PS4 players didn't upgrade to get the best experience. I empathise but only so far.

Here's TMKs view of this race from his commentary in the lobby with outside views. He's also on superfast fibre but on a PS4 Pro. PS4s are not the way to enjoy lobbies. 100% confirmed.

Timestamp - 2:26:10

Last edited:

quote - They should only released it for ps5. They obviously bolted it on to ps4 machines to scam consumers and boost their GT7 sales. - unquote
I'm with you 100% there - despite what other beliefs abound - I trusted Sony and PD too, prior to this apparent dishonesty - I have still seen no acknowledgement from either that this incompatibility exists, which is an obvious giveaway - and because of this, for us it's also the PS5 players who are ignorant of this issue, or disrespect PS4 players, even when they're asked not to join a PS4 lobby - its disappointing, but demonstrates the commercial greed of some companies

quote - They should only released it for ps5. They obviously bolted it on to ps4 machines to scam consumers and boost their GT7 sales. - unquote
I'm with you 100% there - despite what other beliefs abound - I trusted Sony and PD too, prior to this apparent dishonesty - I have still seen no acknowledgement from either that this incompatibility exists, which is an obvious giveaway - and because of this, for us it's also the PS5 players who are ignorant of this issue, or disrespect PS4 players, even when they're asked not to join a PS4 lobby - its disappointing, but demonstrates the commercial greed of some companies
Definitely valid. Problem I find with all this is that the game was touted as a PS5 game. And only at the reveal they said last minute, (6 months from the delayed launch date), that it would be on PS4 as well.

When this was announced I knew that to play the game I had to have a PS5. Why didn't more PS4 players make the switch? That's my question. Yes the 5 has been difficult, but not impossible to get. Plus we had an extra 6 months in that time to grab the new console.

When they announced it was going to be cross gen I knew immediately this would be an issue. Polyphony have never made a cross gen game before. My first red flag. And with the PS4 being almost 10 years old now, how was it going to be possible for this game to sync successfully between the two? My second red flag.

I don't want to come across as disrespectful to anyone in this debate. But my honest opinion is PD have no idea how to achieve game parity over the versions. I can't be the only one who saw red flags when both versions were announced. As a consumer you do expect a working product however...

And finally, and i've got to ask this question, why aren't the PS4 players switching to a 5 to play anyway? PS4 is so out of date now, isn't it time everyone upgraded to current generation technology?

Many questions, apologies if anyone is offended by them. Just how I see it.

Definitely valid. Problem I find with all this is that the game was touted as a PS5 game. And only at the reveal they said last minute, (6 months from the delayed launch date), that it would be on PS4 as well.

When this was announced I knew that to play the game I had to have a PS5. Why didn't more PS4 players make the switch? That's my question. Yes the 5 has been difficult, but not impossible to get. Plus we had an extra 6 months in that time to grab the new console.

When they announced it was going to be cross gen I knew immediately this would be an issue. Polyphony have never made a cross gen game before. My first red flag. And with the PS4 being almost 10 years old now, how was it going to be possible for this game to sync successfully between the two? My second red flag.

I don't want to come across as disrespectful to anyone in this debate. But my honest opinion is PD have no idea how to achieve game parity over the versions. I can't be the only one who saw red flags when both versions were announced. As a consumer you do expect a working product however...

And finally, and i've got to ask this question, why aren't the PS4 players switching to a 5 to play anyway? PS4 is so out of date now, isn't it time everyone upgraded to current generation technology?

My comments weren't aimed at you TJC, you've made a significant contribution to this thread that I, for one, am grateful for.
You're obviously not ignorant of this issue, and I'm sure because of this, and all your help here, that you're not one who would deliberately join a named "NO PS5" lobbies, and so my comments were aimed elsewhere
Thank you once again for your contributions

Because at the time and for at least 8 months it was impossible to buy a ps5. I waited in many queues for hours to buy a ps5 only to find that had sold out by the time I got to the front.

After about 10 attempts you simply give up.

Then you find GT7 is crap on mant levels. Forget the lobby lag. I'm talking crap ffb, crap lobby functionality, crap and forever changing physics. It doesn't motivate you to buy a ps5. Coupled with most communities still running leagues on GTS... why would you bother?

Last edited:
My comments weren't aimed at you TJC, you've made a significant contribution to this thread that I, for one, am grateful for.
You're obviously not ignorant of this issue, and I'm sure because of this, and all your help here, that you're not one who would deliberately join a named "NO PS5" lobbies, and so my comments were aimed elsewhere
Thank you once again for your contributions
Absolutely. If they can't fix the lobby compatibility issues long term, then they may have to split the playerbase there also imo. Having a lobby option to limit entrants to PS4 or PS5 only could be the way to improve things. It's not ideal but it's something. As I aforementioned I believe, the 5's see the 4's and 5's smoothly. The 4's see everyone like we all did on day one launch. Moving picture style car lag.

We need a spec 2 version. Immediately.

@mattikake
In 4 attempts I was successful 3 times to secure PS5's. Brand New units, not scalper ones, from Argos, Amazon UK and Playstation. I don't think I'm that lucky. I just kept an eye on the stock alerts blogs and was first in queue at the times they dropped the stock.

Giving up is never an option if you really want something. At least for me.

Last edited:

I got my butt kicked in a league race last Friday, I had numerous freezes/frame drops, specially when close to other cars.
This round was hosted on PS5. It was very frustrating and a much worse experience than when the lobby is hosted by a PS4 user.
I'm on a PS4pro myself.

I got my butt kicked in a league race last Friday, I had numerous freezes/frame drops, specially when close to other cars.
This round was hosted on PS5. It was very frustrating and a much worse experience than when the lobby is hosted by a PS4 user.
I'm on a PS4pro myself.
This is a good point. PS4s can host both machines to a semi acceptable degree with the PS5 players just a little laggy. PS5 lobbies for PS4 players have much more lag all round.

I didn't wade through all of this, so maybe someone else has already mentioned it, but if you're using wifi, signal strength can also make a big difference (in general).

On my ps5, which is right next to my wifi router, when I switched to using a network cable, I almost never get anything other than full green bars in the races. Before that, it was hit or miss. I realize this is anecdotal, but still, if you can use a network cable, give it a try.

I'm on PS4 Pro with SSD drive. The same machine I used for GTS because even that was not smooth on a standard PS4.

I only play GT7 now and have no problems, other than the many game flaws which are present across both platforms. Prior to the release of GT7 I had intended to buy a PS5 and a new DD wheel. Luckily, due to hardware supply shortages, the game was released before I spent my hard earned cash.

So I'm just going to say this straight up:

The quality of the GT7 product does NOT justify the financial outlay for a PS5 and/or associated expensive hardware. It's many deficiencies have frustrated players more than any other GT game and it's technical flaws have killed private leagues. The deliberate move towards a "game" does not encourage investment in "sim" related hardware.

I'm very glad that I didn't waste money upgrading my hardware for this game.

I hope Sony read this

I'm on PS4 Pro with SSD drive. The same machine I used for GTS because even that was not smooth on a standard PS4.

I only play GT7 now and have no problems, other than the many game flaws which are present across both platforms. Prior to the release of GT7 I had intended to buy a PS5 and a new DD wheel. Luckily, due to hardware supply shortages, the game was released before I spent my hard earned cash.

So I'm just going to say this straight up:

The quality of the GT7 product does NOT justify the financial outlay for a PS5 and/or associated expensive hardware. It's many deficiencies have frustrated players more than any other GT game and it's technical flaws have killed private leagues. The deliberate move towards a "game" does not encourage investment in "sim" related hardware.

I'm very glad that I didn't waste money upgrading my hardware for this game.

I hope Sony read this.

Does the SSD drive fix the in lobby compatibility issues between the 4 and 5's performance in a lobby? Not sport mode as that's separated by the 4 and 5 consoles.

Have you tested this personally in a PS5 hosted lobby, and was there any lag or was it smooth?

This is the issue we are trying to get more information on.

Does the SSD drive fix the in lobby compatibility issues between the 4 and 5's performance in a lobby? Not sport mode as that's separated by the 4 and 5 consoles.

Have you tested this personally in a PS5 hosted lobby, and was there any lag or was it smooth?

This is the issue we are trying to get more information on.

Ah, sorry I haven't tested that. I have hosted a lobby that included PS5 players but not the other way around.

Edit: If you want to invite me to your lobby, we could test it. I'll message you

Last edited:
Back