laguna seca endurance

  • Thread starter Thread starter st1sj
  • 55 comments
  • 6,065 views
I started this last night with the Callaway C12, with simple tuning mods and Sports Hard tires. After 17 laps I needed to pit as my lap times had gone from a high of 1:43 into the 1:49s as I struggled for grip even though my tires showed about half of their life remained. That left me in third after keeping the lead car in sight for most of the first 12 laps. I thought it was a good idea to suspend the race and go to bed. Not sure if I'll be able to reel in the top two cars as the stock gear ratios for the Callaway are quite tall - not a good scenario at Laguna Seca. It being still relatively early in the race I'm thinking of relaunching my challenge with Sports Softs available and better gear ratios. Just to note the PP for the C12 were about 505 - pretty much in the middle of the field.
 
Last edited:
I'm hellbent on winning it with the Midget. I tried last night and failed.
 
I has made a big mistake in my Laguna endurance using the Amuse GT1 stock... was like kill a deer with a bazooka.
 
I used a Caterham Seven Fireblade (full tuned) but stock tires ...
 
I had to drive the wheels off the thing but...

...Midget for the win!

6348680569_4fbc29abf0_z.jpg
 
I can recommend the M3 CSL stock on S/H. Lost the race by 1.5 seconds to a Viper ACR which pushed me off the track during the last lap in the corkscrew. I was furious.
 
having completed the first 2 endurance races, i'm now doing laguna seca and looking for a competitive race (instead of lapping them by 10+ laps).

i started with the RM elise 111R, but even after getting rid of all HP upgrades, it was still too fast. then i went to the cappuccino RM, but that was too slow. i'm now using the elise RM 96, and trying different tires.

which cars did you use for a competitive race?

How about lapping them 45 times? :sly: In a X2010 👍
 
I did this one on the camaro (bumble bee),stock, with sports hard tyres and I am glad I did.
I took the lead and moved away from the pack, but then as tyres went down, the pack caught up. Had a good battle for about 80% of the race and the race was finished in no time.

'69 Camaro 👍
 
st1sj
i tried a few cars last night on the indy 500. most were too fast. i'm going to try tonight with the R8 race car (one of the AI entries), perhaps use sport tires and/or limit top speed for a competitive race.

saintadjg: i tried the cappuccino RM at leguna for a few laps, and was in 2nd place but could not catch up to first place. didn't want to put in more time and risk losing...these endurance races are fun, but the risk of losing v time spent is difficult for me.

I used the both the bently and minolta for the indy 500. Winning easily in both. Took me about 4hrs. Could have been less. Memory is kind of smokey if you feel me
 
I had to drive the wheels off the thing but...

...Midget for the win!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6230/6348680569_4fbc29abf0_z.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081127235518/uncyclopedia/images/9/95/Joker_clap.gif
I used the 65' Mustang

The one that's not in the game? Impressive.
 
GT350r on comfort soft/sport hard tires. 👍
 
Just finished this race in a stock e92 M3 (sport hard). Won by 15 or so seconds, but I had one extra pitstop on the second car (viper gts). Verry enjoyable race.
 
I used a stock Lotus Elise 111R '04 on Racing Soft tires and other tires and won by 2 laps, but that was before the Spec 2.0 update.
 
i got a corvette zo6 standard the older one with the head lamps that raise from the bonnet thats pretty good to use ill let u borrow it if you want
 
Did it yesterday in a Callaway C12... way more powerfull than the competition, but I wanted to make sure I won, since I don't wanna have to do this race again

Same here. I used a Peugeot 908 HDi FAP. I had to pit every 11 laps for new tires (I was on racing hards). The diesel engine is very fuel efficient (never dropped below 3/4 of a tank) but all that torque shreds the tires.

I also encountered a glitch where, when I went to the pits, if I didn't barrel into pit road at full speed (and crash into the wall) it wouldn't let me change tires or refuel. It would walk me down pit road and spit me out at the hairpin. Every time I tried to go into the pit slowly, this happened. I ended up just smashing the poor car into the wall every time I needed to pit because otherwise it wouldn't let me. Maybe I was doing something to make that happen, but I couldn't tell. At least I won by 13 laps 👍
 
I used the '69 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3). It took me two tries but I got it done with a winning gap of less than a second.

I wasn't as good of a driver then, and I used the DS3 (I've got a wheel, now) but it turned into one hell of a race.

The write-up for both the losing race and the winning one can be found here.

There's also the Laguna Seca 200 Miles Companion and Competition to find cars that have done it in a close race.
 
I used the '69 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3). It took me two tries but I got it done with a winning gap of less than a second.

I wasn't as good of a driver then, and I used the DS3 (I've got a wheel, now) but it turned into one hell of a race.

The write-up for both the losing race and the winning one can be found here.

There's also the Laguna Seca 200 Miles Companion and Competition to find cars that have done it in a close race.

I was actually reading that thread 'coz it was one of the first threads it pulled up when I searched for Laguna Seca. Quite impressive, beating a Viper with an old 'Vette. But I'm not really into the whole "Using a car that's close to the competition" thing. To me, it's just a really long time trial. I just did it for the experience points. Won't get to level 40 just sitting around!
 
I will try in a PT Cruiser this weekend, using my unreleased (as of 5/15/12 at 9:53 PM EST) Chrysler PT Cruiser SRT4 Edition
 
Mustang Mach 1 '71 (I think that's it's name?).

+1

Its heavy but that motor is brutal to say the least. Keep it standard(ish) and you will have your challenge. The Chrysler Prowler is another option ..car sounds fantastic! Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07 is anotherone ...that car, I think, is not as quick as it should be.
 
I used a Ford RS200 street version and it made for a fun race against the Viper. Pit strategy was key, the Viper pitted one more time than I did and that gave me the win.
 
Cappucicino is more than capable of winning the Laguna Enduro.Its what i used ,and that was the non race modded one.I still won comfortably same for 300km grand valley.If i can win it with that car pretty much anyone should be able too.
If you want a real challenge use the Fiat 500F '68,you pretty much can't make a single error for 90 laps( i haven't managed it with the 500 yet but i will).

Wow ..sounds awesome! Never thought of coming in with such cars. Up till now I have only done it with cars from 500 - 550 PP. Will definately try something in the Cappucicino range but it must be American ...as it is a Stateside race. Any recommendations for similar American cars ...or are there none in that range? The Neon maybe?
 
That's the advantage. That is why you are going faster, lol.

If you want competitive racing take a car from the opponents list (that menu that tells you the usual opponents, can't remember what its called)

But your taking RM cars, definitely not going to find that competitive.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually what is even more important, use the same tires as the AI. Not only to keep it a competitive race, but it's frustrating to use tires that are better or much worse than the AI. If you use tires that are much better, the AI will seem to brake super early and you'll smash into them. If you use tires that are worse, they'll be faster than you in the corners and that will annoy you too.

If you want to have a fun race against the AI, ALWAYS use the same tires as they do. People whine about the AI a lot but really it's pretty good if you don't give yourself advantages over it like better tires. There's too many people online that think using racing soft tires all the time is the way to go but it absolutely is not. Use the tires that the car came with or whatever tires you're racing against. Using racing softs is a sure way to make GT5 feel like an arcade game and if you want an arcade game go play forza
 
THIS!!!!!!!!!

Actually what is even more important, use the same tires as the AI. Not only to keep it a competitive race, but it's frustrating to use tires that are better or much worse than the AI. If you use tires that are much better, the AI will seem to brake super early and you'll smash into them. If you use tires that are worse, they'll be faster than you in the corners and that will annoy you too.

...
[out of space, had to snip]

I'm going to have to disagree there. You should always use tires that are worse than the AI. It's the only way to avoid running over them when they take all the corners much slower than their tires are capable(part of why their tires always seem to last so long).

You can achieve lap time parity by bringing less power, but that means getting hounded on the straights and killing them in the cornrs. Reducing your HUGE cornering advantage is the surest way to get as close as you can to a fair, close race.
 
tuned vw bus. still wins easy if driven well, but you can adjust weight / power etc accordingly.

and i agree with above. always go down on the opponents tyre choice. equal them if you have to.
 
Back