Lake Louise / What about new track?

• Thread starter NIKOLAUNCH
  • 43 comments
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
This is undoubtedly an amazing update. After a long time, a snow track has reappeared, but it's not what I expected, to be honest. The implementation of rally and gravel has always been, to put it mildly, strange in Gran Turismo. And the new track feels like the same gravel painted white. What are your thoughts on this?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The track looks amazing, but after getting my balls crushed by the CE, I went from childlike amazement to "this sucks I hate it" in about 90 mins :lol:

I had the very same thought as OP: "This feels like white gravel".

The problem is that the track asks of drivers pinpoint accuracy in where to position their cars and to be able to bust out slides at the drop of a hat. The demonstration run does exactly that, and I have no idea how they break the rear end out without ever touching the handbrake; at T1, they turn hard right and slam on the brakes, yet in sector 3, on the downhill right hander, they brake fully before yanking the car sideways. I tried to emulate that, and sometimes the car comes loose, sometimes it just understeers into the wall. I can't believe this thing is rear mid engined sometimes.

Even the handbrake feels wonky. It's just nothing... nothing... nothing... ZOOP ALL MOMENTUM GONE PERPENDICULAR FACING THE WALL YOUR SPOUSE CHEATED ON YOU YOUR KIDS HAVE LEFT YOU YOUR PARENTS HAVE DISOWNED YOU YOU LOSER.

I'm running full rearward +5 Brake Bias and a 25/75 torque split. I even abandoned my T300 and did the CE on the DS5. Dirt has always felt weird and unintuitive on the wheel in GT7.

Maybe I'm just terrible, but I'd appreciate any tips and tricks if anyone can offer any.

Last edited:
The track looks amazing, but after getting my balls crushed by the CE, I went from childlike amazement to "this sucks I hate it" in about 90 mins :lol:

I had the very same thought as OP: "This feels like white gravel".

The problem is that the track asks of drivers pinpoint accuracy in where to position their cars and to be able to bust out slides at the drop of a hat. The demonstration run does exactly that, and I have no idea how they break the rear end out without ever touching the handbrake; at T1, they turn hard right and slam on the brakes, yet in sector 3, on the downhill right hander, they brake fully before yanking the car sideways. I tried to emulate that, and sometimes the car comes loose, sometimes it just understeers into the wall. I can't believe this thing is rear mid engined sometimes.

Even the handbrake feels wonky. It's just nothing... nothing... nothing... ZOOP ALL MOMENTUM GONE PERPENDICULAR FACING THE WALL YOUR SPOUSE CHEATED ON YOU YOUR KIDS HAVE LEFT YOU YOUR PARENTS HAVE DISOWNED YOU YOU LOSER.

I'm running full rearward +5 Brake Bias and a 25/75 torque split. I even abandoned my T300 and did the CE on the DS5. Dirt has always felt weird and unintuitive on the wheel in GT7.

Maybe I'm just terrible, but I'd appreciate any tips and tricks if anyone can offer any.
I haven't tried the CE yet, but IRL I drive on snow quite often. On fresh untouched snow the slides are usually hard to stay into because snow accumulates on the outside wheels, slowing the car down, unless you're literally full tilt on the throttle to send the snow flying.
So my suggestion would be to initiate the slide by turning hard and suddenly braking, keeping the throttle absolutely pinned to the ground. Play with the brakes as well during this phase, ideally with front bias, to promote the rear sliding out. You might notice you need to slow down a bit more in order to achieve this.
I'm not sure how well they implemented the intricacies of snow accumulating and slowing you down, or the sudden bite of the tyre on the underneath asphalt as I only played the tri-oval race, but as I stated in my previous reply, it's a bit meh, too much grip, but still fun for me.
PS. If the car is heavy, you might want to add some scandinavian fick goodness to initiate the slide, i. e. for a left hander: turn right and then suddenly hard left while braking to shift weight forwards and unsettle the car into a slide, works wonders on my 1.8 tons sedan IRL.

Last edited:
In real life any 4x4 F-150 of that generation has absolute longitudinal traction. Try turning the TCS off to help initiate slides.
Again stemming from Sega Rally experience, moving from mud/gravel to snow is a major transition. Stage 3 there is outright impossible the first time you try it. It does get easier though.
My first runs on Louise will be with the Stratos and the Raptor if they're allowed. The Raptor should be very familiar.

In real life any 4x4 F-150 of that generation has absolute longitudinal traction. Try turning the TCS off to help initiate slides.
Again stemming from Sega Rally experience, moving from mud/gravel to snow is a major transition. Stage 3 there is outright impossible the first time you try it. It does get easier though.
My first runs on Louise will be with the Stratos and the Raptor if they're allowed. The Raptor should be very familiar.
Yeah I bet it has, but I should've been more specific, it's the braking distances I think that are a bit too short, the traction under power is fine.

Just did my first race on the track. I think it looks really good and the driving feels ok. But unfortunately there's something that completely broke the immersion for me immediately: I'm driving beyond all this cars on a snow track and my windscreen stays absolutely clean? Am I the only one who was expecting constant wiping and limited visibility on a track like this?

Just did my first race on the track. I think it looks really good and the driving feels ok. But unfortunately there's something that completely broke the immersion for me immediately: I'm driving beyond all this cars on a snow track and my windscreen stays absolutely clean? Am I the only one who was expecting constant wiping and limited visibility on a track like this?
Yes, that and also the snow spray is ridiculously small.

Yeah I bet it has, but I should've been more specific, it's the braking distances I think that are a bit too short, the traction under power is fine.

This is likely where the Raptor differs from my daily driver. My suspension is stiffer and shorter. I'ma feel ABS kick in a lot sooner than one would in the Raptor and yes, on snow, my stopping distances are at least triple the norm. I've been running what amounts to a CM tire up til recently, it was a Primewell Valera on an 18 inch rim.
These trucks are inherently front heavy and in game should put the front brakes to work. Unless you turn off ABS they shouldn't slide but stopping power is drastically reduced in ice and snow.
We get 1-2 good snow storms every winter where I live. I don't have the choice to stay home, as a hospital engineer my job is critical.
lol maybe they can make a fictional rally track and set it where I grew up in Lincoln County, Oklahoma. The roads there used to be crazy slick with mud when it would rain and nearly impassable with snow on them. It would make for great rally conditions!

Last edited:
I'd appreciate any tips and tricks if anyone can offer any.
You need to use the throttle to balance your car. Less throttle generally means more oversteer and vice versa. Breaking traction, by braking hard or spinning your rear wheels, reverses that effect

Stay off the handbrake, it’s only really useful if you need to around a sharp hairpin - there are no such corners at Lake Louise.

Track looks like a real ice racing track which is more than you can say about the dirt tracks, which don't look like real rallycross circuits with the obvious exception of Catalunya.

Unfortunately the snow feels crap to actually drive on, which a lot of people predicted would likely be the case.

Unfortunately the snow feels crap to actually drive on, which a lot of people predicted would likely be the case.
Based on my testing so far, I have to disagree with this one. I've never been a fan of the GT dirt physics, but as someone who drives a lot in snowy conditions irl, I was surprised how good the snow physics feel.

The track also looks gorgeous in VR.

Last edited:
Lake Louise seems like such a random place to have a snow track. Raced it earlier in VR and in the dusk it's pretty cool. Wonder if PD got something for promoting the locale.

Best off road track in the game .

Colorado springs has great flow but is too short , Fisherman Ranch is too big and doesn't suit Gr.B well.

The issue IMO is group B as a class and not the tracks , Rally feels really fun with sub 300 hp road cars but Gr.B has wayyyyy to much power to be any fun IMO . The best handling rally car is the Celica and it's not a Group B monster .

Its fun to drive on it. From all the dirt tracks so far in the game, I enjoy this one the most maybe coz it's on snow😁, though I prefer to have a race track Kyalami, Road America, Sebring..... or any other famous real track.

Last edited:
Went in with pretty low expectations, the dirt tracks are my least favourite.

It's actually really fun to race on. By far my favourite off-road location in GT7 now. All 3 layouts are nicely done (not tried reverse yet). The circuit experience was some easy money, except for sector 3. It takes some good throttle balance to keep a tidy line for that part.

It's a bit tricky at first because you try to drive as if it was dirt rally, but no, it doesn't work, you need to use a whole different driving style here. It's fun once you figure it out

Last edited:

This is likely where the Raptor differs from my daily driver. My suspension is stiffer and shorter. I'ma feel ABS kick in a lot sooner than one would in the Raptor and yes, on snow, my stopping distances are at least triple the norm. I've been running what amounts to a CM tire up til recently, it was a Primewell Valera on an 18 inch rim.
These trucks are inherently front heavy and in game should put the front brakes to work. Unless you turn off ABS they shouldn't slide but stopping power is drastically reduced in ice and snow.
We get 1-2 good snow storms every winter where I live. I don't have the choice to stay home, as a hospital engineer my job is critical.
lol maybe they can make a fictional rally track and set it where I grew up in Lincoln County, Oklahoma. The roads there used to be crazy slick with mud when it would rain and nearly impassable with snow on them. It would make for great rally conditions!
Remember that the cars at Lake Louise in GT7 have narrow studded tyres, so will give a lot more grip than any road tyre would.

I'm pretty sure its my TV, but does anyone else's screen kind of whites a little out on certain parts of the track? I feel like it has something to do with how my TV is handling all the bright white on the screen.

Remember that the cars at Lake Louise in GT7 have narrow studded tyres, so will give a lot more grip than any road tyre would.
Oh yeah you're right! I completely forgot snow tyres in the game are narrow and studded.

The one thing I want/ need to know more about is the track limits, are those big blue lines the track limits? I ask this because in the new weekly race I went outside that blue dashes but I still got the CRB?

The one thing I want/ need to know more about is the track limits, are those big blue lines the track limits? I ask this because in the new weekly race I went outside that blue dashes but I still got the CRB?
I also went outside and I bumped into the leader intentionally ('cause AI bumped into me multiple times also), still got CRB😄

It's not my cup of tea, but I did the first sector of the CE and ran the event. Snapped pics of trackside vehicles. Was fun. Drove the layouts at night and didn't mind it. Of course, all driving was done in VR.
Now, brig back the point to point rally events from GT6.

The easiest layout of this is the oval one, that's what beginners should start with. Once they get a feel of the track, they should do the full layout with the corners/turns included.

Not going to touch the Oval race for a while since the GT7 Pick Up truck event is probably my least favourite event or all time, of all games.

As for the other 2 layouts, I think they are fine.

Not going to touch the Oval race for a while since the GT7 Pick Up truck event is probably my least favourite event or all time, of all games.

As for the other 2 layouts, I think they are fine.
I can't pass the leader no matter what I do.

Back