Lance Armstrong Isn't an Athlete!

• Thread starter Sage
  • 64 comments
Yeah, I know. I've already sent my opinion to him. My very strong opinion. :D

What a complete tosser! :mad:

Lance Armstrong is a frickin hero. The guy came back from cancer to compete in one of the toughest sporting events in the world

Simple facts, the tour is 2000 miles long, Mr Armstrong managed it in 82 hours 5 minutes. I think that makes him an athlete.

Originally posted by vat_man
Yeah, I read that. What a lot of crap. On his line of reasoning, runners aren't athletes.
Ahh - vat, are you aware that the word "crap" qualifies as strong language? Not a good look for a moderator....

Originally posted by Jazza
Ahh - vat, are you aware that the word "crap" qualifies as strong language? Not a good look for a moderator....

I am offended by your blatant use of the word 'qualifies'.

:P

What a complete idiot! :rolleyes: I would hate to see what he thinks of racecar drivers...

Originally posted by Klostrophobic
Well, they aren't athletes. They don't expend much energy shifting gears and stepping on the accelerator and brake.
They aren't required to be as athletic as someone involved in more physical sports like biking (which is why I think Mr. Ron Borges would be really down on them), but they are athletes.

Has anyone read on Michael Schumacher's fitness regime?

I know grand prix drivers regularly acheive heart rates into the 200s. It's all very well saying they don't expend much energy in the physical act of driving, but particularly at the higher echelons of the sport you mustn't forget the g-forces the body is subject to, plus the extremely high levels of concentration required - not to mention all whilst working in temperatures often in excess of 50 degrees celsius (for roofed cars) whilst wearing fire-proof clothing.

They don't need strength, agility or endurance.
No, they don't, unless they want to win. The stronger you are, the easier it will be to control the car and put it exactly where you want it on the track while undergoing heavy g-forces. They also have to do it for several hours straight, depending on what type of race it is.

Originally posted by Jordan
What a complete idiot! :rolleyes:
Gasp! Harsh words coming from the mouth of Jordan! :smilewink

I would hate to see what he thinks of racecar drivers...
I was thinking the exact same thing after reading his article...

By vat_so
I know grand prix drivers regularly acheive heart rates into the 200s.
:eek: Wow! There's your endurance right there, Klos. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Does the ability to sit on a skinny bicycle seat for hours on end and pump your legs like a madman make you a great athlete or merely a guy who does better without training wheels than most people?
Moron.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

BTW, in case you didn't sift through the bicycling.com's forums, here's another link with people bashing Mr. Borges on his very own MSNBC website. :D

Are we trying to make sense, vat_man? Because you're not doing an extremely competent job of it! :D

Klos: They don't need endurance? Considering that Le Mans drivers race for eight hours at a time, I think they do.

'Ipso Facto' is a Latin term meaning 'by that very fact' - it is used in UK and Australian law (and I assume US) along the lines of 'of itself - example 'Lance Armstrong has won four Tours de France, ipso facto he is a great athlete.

Another brilliant word-play gone unappreciated....

Originally posted by slip2rock
What a complete tosser! :mad:

Lance Armstrong is a frickin hero. The guy came back from cancer to compete in one of the toughest sporting events in the world

Simple facts, the tour is 2000 miles long, Mr Armstrong managed it in 82 hours 5 minutes. I think that makes him an athlete.
soooo true the guy came back from cancer and is dominating....

and i think racing is a sport, any type of event where you can lose weight (some drivers lose 10 pounds in a race) or do physical and demanding tasks IS a sport, however that does NOT include chess.....
in NO WAY is chess a ****en sport

Originally posted by vat_man
'Ipso Facto' is a Latin term meaning 'by that very fact' - it is used in UK and Australian law (and I assume US) along the lines of 'of itself - example 'Lance Armstrong has won four Tours de France, ipso facto he is a great athlete.
Ah, eye cee.

Another brilliant word-play gone unappreciated....
I'm sorry. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>>>

Boy, I wish Mr. Borges had actually read my email... I think that when he saw that it was from youth_cycler@hotmail.com, he probably trashed it right away! :lol:

Well, they aren't athletes. They don't expend much energy shifting gears and stepping on the accelerator and brake.

Have you ever operated a truly heavy-duty clutch? That takes strength and endurance! :D

Using unboosted brakes and unpowered steering (with an exceptionally low steering rack ratio) is pretty demanding too. Even moreso when you want to point the vehicle with any sort of accuracy. Maybe they're not running around, but racing does require a high state of phsical fitness. I dare you to tell any driver otherwise to his face.

And the "journalist" that said Mr. Armstrong isn't an athlete needs to be strung up by his entrails. :mad:

EDIT: An e-mail to Mr. Borges:

Clearly, sir, you have never bicycled a day in your life. I'd like to see you bicycle more than a few miles anywhere near Mr. Armstrong's pace before breaking down and crying like a little girl by the curbside.

Next time, try knowing something about that of which you are speaking before opening your mouth.

Originally posted by Jazza
Definitely my well reasoned opinion!
Liar. You dogmatic liar. :P

risingson- Poo, I forgot to save my email... It was a nice long one too.

Originally posted by slip2rock
Completing the Tour De France at all makes you an athlete in my opinion...

slip2rock is right... Complete tosser.

Latest Posts

Back