Lap time with ps4 pro are faster than ps4 standard?

• Thread starter dinno
  • 105 comments
I don’t own a standard PS4, so I don’t know for sure, but I’ve wondered if I have a slight advantage in night/low light races due to the improved HDR lighting of my PS4 Pro. Perhaps I can spot brake markers or the apex a bit easier. Probably not, but as I said, I sometimes wonder about that.

PS4 and PS4 Pro both have similar HDR capabilities.

There is the video I posted in an earlier post above, I found another video, but the most I see is 5 fps drop for a few ms.
I would be surprised if anyone would even notice, let alone feel a difference. Although placebo is a powerful thing.
I would suggest buying a PS4 Pro and PSVR for the VR experience, but I wouldn't suggest buying a PS4 Pro to find a magical .7 .8 second off lap time.
upload_2018-2-21_10-10-14.png

Last edited:

That video is again on the beta, while it would be interesting to see the same test on the current game, a few fps don't really matter to me.

I've played PC games back in the day, playing a game at 20fps with dips to 10 fps was affecting my performance in first person shooters.

I would love to see an alien test the PS4 vs PS4 Pro to see if there is any difference in lap time, however aliens tend to run alone at the front, so they wouldn't have enough cars on screen to cause an fps drop.

If you are running at the back or mid pack, then .7 .8 would be cheaper gained through practice.

If you are running a PS4, here is a test - set a time in a custom race, start at the back and have the AI drive faster cars, so you never catch up, but are not benefiting from their slip stream. Once you have set your fastest time, go into arcade mode and run the same car track and see how much you can beat your time by. Obviously you will be improving each time, so go back to the custom race and beat it again.

I suspect it's more likely that your driving inconsistency is more of a factor than the games fps, unless you are an alien or very close to one.

That video is again on the beta, while it would be interesting to see the same test on the current game, a few fps don't really matter to me.

I've played PC games back in the day, playing a game at 20fps with dips to 10 fps was affecting my performance in first person shooters.

I would love to see an alien test the PS4 vs PS4 Pro to see if there is any difference in lap time, however aliens tend to run alone at the front, so they wouldn't have enough cars on screen to cause an fps drop.

If you are running at the back or mid pack, then .7 .8 would be cheaper gained through practice.

If you are running a PS4, here is a test - set a time in a custom race, start at the back and have the AI drive faster cars, so you never catch up, but are not benefiting from their slip stream. Once you have set your fastest time, go into arcade mode and run the same car track and see how much you can beat your time by. Obviously you will be improving each time, so go back to the custom race and beat it again.

I suspect it's more likely that your driving inconsistency is more of a factor than the games fps, unless you are an alien or very close to one.

I agree with most of your points but consistency has nothing to do with aliens.You can be super consistent but not even close to alien times.
But either way logic dectates that if a game -as a program- can perform better into your hardware,you'll only gain from that.

ps4 have hdr capabilities ok, but this does not concern fps
I was responding to the person who said, and I quote, "I’ve wondered if I have a slight advantage in night/low light races due to the improved HDR lighting of my PS4 Pro".

I was talking to someone else, mate.

I think we are all curious to know if the PS4 Pro could be making people faster, it's not like CSA where people need to get defensive.

From the video evidence, I am landing on the side that your ISP makes more difference to your race than which PS4/Pro you are using.
I haven't played GTS on standard PS4, so I don't know what you are experiencing, but I have been in online lobbies where a latency spike from my ISP when new players join or leave the room is enough to throw me off a bit, and a big reason why I drive conservative lines.

Umm... Thanks for proving my point?

They have similar HDR capabilities. The rest is different, but the HDR is the same

Did I say you did not make the right point?
I think that the artical give a lot info in terms of OP's Q.

I do agree that the original PS4 has shoddy wifi, can only get 24Mbps max through it (and the PS4 doesn't support 5GHz), on my laptop or even PC via wifi I can get ~55Mbps and my max internet is 60Mbps. But with 24Mbps that isn't low enough to affect online connection, unless there are packet loss or high ping which I don't get.

Back