• Thread starter Spagetti69
  • 497 comments

Spagetti69

Is not my real name.
Premium
GTP_Spag69
spagetti69
From eurogamer.

"It's the same every time," said Yamauchi. "Everything's very tight. It's an incredibly tight schedule. As to being able to include everything we want to on day one, we probably won't be able to. I think for the 12 months following the release we'll continue to update the software. Because in Gran Turismo 6 we're preparing a lot of different things we haven't even touched on yet."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-18-gran-turismo-6-will-have-a-large-day-one-patch

I found the part below interesting as well.
With Gran Turismo 6 reliant on patches and updates to deliver its features and content, Yamauchi addressed the idea of the series moving towards acting as a service in the future rather than a boxed product, and whether Gran Turismo 7 could be released in a Prologue version that expanded over time.
Undecided whether I should like the idea or dislike it.

Edit : As for the planned day one patch, I really feel sorry for those who (for reasons) don't have a proper internet connection or don't have any at all. GT5's enormous updates were bad enough and I'm on a 100/10 connection.

Last edited:

If it's at a very small price then maybe but what if there are fundamental changes that can't simply be patched.

If it's at a very small price then maybe but what if there are fundamental changes that can't simply be patched.

Having it as a client/service means a developer can change anything (e.g. give you a completely new client if needed). Eutechnyx already does it with AutoClubRevolution on PC, as well as any MMO, so it's not exactly bleeding-edge technology either.

Note that that automatically means always-online. And most likely: pay per car/track/upgrade/etc, or subscription.

While this doesn't affect me, it's a smack in the face for anyone without internet. PD (and other companies) really needs to understand that not everyone has internet.

Having it as a client/service means a developer can change anything (e.g. give you a completely new client if needed). Eutechnyx already does it with AutoClubRevolution on PC, as well as any MMO, so it's not exactly bleeding-edge technology either.

Note that that automatically means always-online. And most likely: pay per car/track/upgrade/etc, or subscription.

Oh misunderstood then,well if that is the direction they are heading then I will no longer be their customer.

I suspect that there will be a big patch at launch or shortly after and probably lots of bugs to iron out in the early days for sure

What they're saying here effectively is... "The game will be released in an unfinished state. But, that's okay as we can just patch it up later." Unless, of course, you can't connect your PS3 up. In which case, you're screwed.

That's one way to put it.

The other is that they'll have a month after the game goes gold to continue working on it, and supporting the game at and after it's release isn't a negative at all.

What they're saying here effectively is... "The game will be released in an unfinished state. But, that's okay as we can just patch it up later." Unless, of course, you can't connect your PS3 up. In which case, you're screwed.

Hit the nail on the head.👍

The other is that they'll have a month after the game goes gold to continue working on it, and supporting the game at and after it's release isn't a negative at all.

Game going gold implies it's finished. Patching after release should be in response to bugs and problems that pop up through use. Day 1 patches mean they are releasing the game before it's finished and the actual finish of the game is done through software only on the day of release, so as not to delay the physical roll out of the game. Anyone without a connection is out of luck unfortunately.

As always, it's open to speculation as to what is coming.

A 12 month programme of patches because there are parts of GT they haven't touched on yet!

Livery editor?
Damage modelling?
Standards to premium?
Sounds?
Leader boards?
Customisation?

The list is endless, assuming these dont make the vanilla version.

Gonna be some fun guessing games and maybe disappointment/surprise in those 12 months.

Thing is with patches, some brake as well as fix things in my dealings with them.

Not sure ill be playing in 12 months to see the finished version.

They could always delay it and send out a more polished version though eh!!!

Having an extra month on a three year plus dev cycle shouldn't be a deal breaker. The fact that they seem to need that time is not terribly positive.

And the fact that they're announcing that there will be a large day one patch this far out from release means that they know already that they've horribly miscalculated how long it would take them to complete features. Much like what happened to GT5. There will have already been meetings at PD on what they can cut or move to a post-release patch without crippling the game.

Supporting a game after release is great. Being forced to support it because it's incomplete is not great. The game should be good at release, and then added to if the devs wish.

I do not want a repeat of GT5 1.01. It was a mediocre game that was missing a lot of basic features that were advertised or in GT5P. I do not want to see GT6 do that, because I think that the media are may be a lot more critical of GT this time around. Bad press early on cannot be made up for by patching the game later.

Those without an internet connection will get a half-baked product - ouch. I am just wondering how significant the day one patch is in terms of gameplay.

Those without an internet connection will get a half-baked product - ouch. I am just wondering how significant the day one patch is in terms of gameplay.

I imagine it'll be a burn of historic proportions if the livery editor is in the Day 1 patch...imagine the uproar...

angry-dwight.gif

Hopefully the update is not a "make it or break it" deal for those without internet.

If they do like PS3 firmware updates and provide the option to download it from a computer in public places and put it on a USB stick for later use with a console then this would be great... However they would still need to be connected to the PSN to get the DLC packs I guess...

Thing to take into consideration is who will still be playing GT6 a year from now,I plan to sell my PS3 in the future.

Hopefully it really is more of a 'patch' than a large download that will contain major content needed for something as simple as just the full single player mode.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/17/forza-5-has-a-mandatory-day-one-download/

Sure, having to wait for an update to the game right away is a bit of a pain, but it could be a lot worse.

This isn't a 'versus' post either. I enjoy the other franchise, but dealing with the devs' comparatively poor communication and product/community support for four years has turned me off for awhile, saving me ~$600 in the process.

As expected :). The situation is no different than GT5 regarding game progress throught updates or online requirements, I don't see the novelty in that. GT at this stage is a very unique game and looking back at GT5 it worked very well for they and us (most of :D).

They have more developing time to finish a better product meanwhile the audience play the game. Otherwise with so long development more of the features would not be available until the next title in many years... people that see this as an unfinished game, etc... only need to wait a little more than us and buy the game when they think is finished. :lol:

And I leave this quote from the Forza dev to see things into perspective:
Dan: ...we have to draw lines too, otherwise we might take 5 years to produce the next version.

I am not going to be pleased if the (supposed) Day 1 patch is a big size... Might end up having to take the PS3 to a friend's house (AGAIN) if it's anything over 250 MB...

I'm sure PD can find millions of customers who have internet among so many people all over the world :) Those without can have the option to get one. Until we get the released game, we do not know the extent of the contents, will it be flawed badly like GT5 1.0 or it will be at least complete, with only some changes added later on ( sound generation systems, new tracks with added night/weather on more tracks and cars - confirmed, bugs fixes, possible upgrade in customization, online modes updates, physics engine updates )

I am sure PD learned the lesson from GT5, GT6 will probably have updates more oriented as expansions.

Lots of games get day one patches. It's quite normal at this point.

It's true. But usually, day 1 patches are bug fixes or DLC, not adding features.

GT is fairly unique among console games in adding substantial features via updates.

I like this sentence.. a lot.
There'll be multiplayer on day one in Gran Turismo 6, with a new and improved online lounge that allows players to set up championships and races with more ease, and also via smartphone and PC apps

If someone hasn't got internet, they won't need updates for online play, and most of them won't even know that an update exists.

It is safe to assume that GT6 will be playable from day 1, so it's not like you have an unplayable game.

What's the alternative? Wait for a year until everything's finished and half the customer-base has moved to PS4?

You can always wait for a couple of months until they release a version of GT6 that includes all updates on the disc.

Why do people want a delayed game?
They could just wait to buy it till this is implented.

Personally, i run the sound on minimum volume enoughto hear the engine, but i prefer to play music. My wife hates the sound of racecars in the livingroom anyway.

Define "finished".

And define "screwed". Will the game be unplayable without the patch, or will the patch simply add additional features? If you haven't got internet, you're screwed either way, because you're missing out on the online aspect, which is a big part of the game and something they seem to have focused more on for GT6.

It's true. But usually, day 1 patches are bug fixes or DLC, not adding features.

GT is fairly unique among console games in adding substantial features via updates.

Forza 5 will be unplayable if you don't download the day-one "DLC". So it's not like they're the only ones to use this possibility. And why would console games need to operate on different terms than PC games?

Last edited:

Edit : As for the planned day one patch, I really feel sorry for those who (for reasons) don't have a proper internet connection or don't have any at all. GT5's enormous updates were bad enough and I'm on a 100/10 connection.

I have a proper internet connection but the actual speeds my PS3 gets even though it's mere feet from the router, are pathetic.

Forza 5 will be unplayable if you don't download the day-one "DLC". So it's not like they're the only ones to use this possibility. And why would console games need to operate on different terms than PC games?
Source, please because I've heard otherwise.

Latest Posts

Back