Le Mans 2011: PEUGEOT 908'11 and new Diesel Hybrid4

• Thread starter gtone339
  • 64 comments
I love it, revamped version of the 908 HDi FAP, even though the shark fin still looks okay with it. Thanks for posting it up guys. 👍

Update: posted up the images at the top of the first page and of course the information provided.

Last edited:
So, my money is down on Audi winning again. The R18 looks a bit more radical than this. Apart from the fin and the big roof intake, I don't see much difference.

Well, the 908 was already a fast design, you don't always have to be radical to win...as Audi should well know ;).

I think the Peugeot will win as long as they don't run into the same issues they did last year.

Last year they were arrogant, ultimately stupid. You must respect the 24 hours of Le Mans and they forgot it

To be fair, it wasn't actually a mistake made by them that lost them the race. Or at least, not a mistake that could have been otherwise avoided. Just majorly unlucky really to have all those engine failures all at one race and with no warning, but thats racing and thats Le Mans.

Unlike Audi, this thing looks fantastic!

There's not a heck of a lot of difference aside from the bloody livery. They both have the same general form. Yes, there's lesser differences like the Peugeot having a narrower, pointier nose and different curves, but their general shapes are roughly the same.

Audi_R18_5.jpg

To be fair, it wasn't actually a mistake made by them that lost them the race. Or at least, not a mistake that could have been otherwise avoided. Just majorly unlucky really to have all those engine failures all at one race and with no warning, but thats racing and thats Le Mans.

More like they over estimated how fast the R15+ was....

Although not much of a difference from last year I think it's much easier on the eyes than the Audi.

They learnt from their mistakes so this time around they are aiming for reliability. Also they revamped the aerodynamics and of course the engine as well just to comply with the regulations. I know that it looks like the one from last year but this time its a whole new prototype.

Some comments on the new 908:

Marc Gene

* First drive to test the car in Barcelona in July 2010. He's also driven it in at Monza & Paul Ricard.

* Misses the V12 a bit, "we always want more power!" The V8 makes more noise and the new 908 handles better.

* They were each asked what they wanted the car to be named...He personally wanted it to be called the 909.

http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/actualite-endurance-6185.html

From Simon Pagenaud:

* The first difference from the old to the new, it feels more alive. It goes exactly where you want it to. Another important point, we can put larger tires in the front, it allows us to brake later without the risk of locking the wheels.

http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/actualite-endurance-6188.html

This article also says that he would like to run the Daytona 24 in the future, although he is not really a big fan of the DPs.

Looks amazing.

Is it wrong for a 23 year old man to want to steal the steering wheel so I can sit at home and play about with the dials/buttons?

Was seriously considering buying the ferrari f2008 steering wheel replica with working buttons/dials and paddles at one point... Err, a snip at £1500. :dunce:

Looks amazing.

Is it wrong for a 23 year old man to want to steal the steering wheel so I can sit at home and play about with the dials/buttons?

Only if its wrong for a 15 year old guy to want to steal the whole car so he can sit there and wish he could drive it 👍

The white - black combo looks sick!

But for the love of God, who ever came up first with those shark fins on the LMP cars and deemed them legal needs to be kicked, slapped and then shot twice in the face.

Update (March 24 2011): Peugeot 908 2011 Monza test, Le Mans configuration (no livery):

[YOUTUBEHD]DZYxASTvTrQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

DSCN4421.jpg

DSCN4441.jpg

DSCN4453.jpg

DSCN4457.jpg

Looks similar to last years one but with new aerodynamics (large engine air-intake, mounted on top of the engine cover) and engine. :)

Update: THE 908 HYBRID4 TAKES TO THE TRACK

4e9888ad7cbd7_full_screen_mediatheque.jpg

4e988b128f862_full_screen_mediatheque.jpg

4e9883b8911ba_full_screen_mediatheque.jpg

4e9883fb88885_full_screen_mediatheque.jpg

More info -
link: http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/endurance/news-920-the-908-hybrid4-takes-to-the-track.html

http://www.lemans.org/en/news/The_908_HYbrid4_on−track_5440.html

Unveiled at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show in March, Peugeot's 908 HYbrid 4 had its first track test recently at Estoril on the 11th of October. After its shakedown in private testing in September, the 908 HYbrid4 underwent its first genuine track test. The car completed over 300km in the hands of Nicolas Minassian, Stéphane Sarrazin and Alex Wurz.

Peugeot Sport’s Technical Director Bruno Famin. ”The system functioned well and responded as predicted, which was very satisfying. At the same time, we started to make a few adjustments to the car’s basic set-up. It worked well, so that’s very positive... It will be interesting to see how the system performs at a different track. We have no intention of rushing things, however. We are still on a learning curve and the endurance testing will come later.”

Peugeot's 908 HYbrid4 test programme will now continue with a second run soon at another circuit, as well as further bench testing.

Nicolas Minassian: “I had the good fortune to drive the original demonstration hybrid car in 2008 and I am proud to have been the first person to drive the 908 HYbrid4. It’s extremely interesting to work on a project of this scale which no doubt paves the way for the future of motor racing. As a driver, it’s very rewarding to be in a position where you can learn and play a part in the development of new technologies.”

Stéphane Sarrazin: “We were able to work through the complete test programme, so that was fantastic. It was interesting to work with the engineers to identify the ideal compromises and, of course, get acquainted with the system, since the project is only in its early days. You can feel the extra power and it will be up to us to harness or adapt it in the most competitive way possible. We will need to strike the right balance. We’re looking at a lot of things and exploring several avenues. "

Calling it now, Peugeot brings two normal diesels, and one hybrid to Le Mans next year to face off against Toyota's hybrid.

Back