Leg Workouts! What's your routine?

• Thread starter Pako
  • 45 comments
Lately I've been mostly doing squats for my leg workouts starting at 90lbs all the way to 160 or so, coupled with 45 degree lying Calf press starting at 180 going to a bit over 300lbs.

I always stretch well afterwards.

good stuff guys..

I have never seen this thread. I am a three sport High School/D1 College Football, Lacrosse players and high school wrestling guy. I currently and practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

My current solo work outs are as followed.

Leg Press ( I can't squat the conventional way, bad knee's )

warm up

200 x 10
500 x 20
600 x 10
current max ( glute injure via Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ) 800

Reverse Leg curls
warm up 100 x 10

145 x 30

Leg Curls
warm up 120 x 10

135 x 20
145 x 10

Calf Raise
warm up 110 x 10

145 x 20
165 x 10

1.5 miles after all that.

I keep it pretty simple. At the end of all that... I have the noodle effect for sure.

Any weight is good if have good form. How many reps?

Well, today was my official third leg day back in the gym. Went a little heavier today.

Hack Squats
20x90
20x180
15x270
15x340

Leg Press
20x200
20x400
15x580
15x660
15x850

Dumb Bell lunges
20x30's
20x30's
20x30's

Ham Seated Curls+Super Set Leg Extensions
100x15+100x12
120x15+120x12
140x15+140x10
140x15+140x10

I will follow up with calf raises tomorrow.

I'm simply amazed at how much weight you move. This past week, I changed up my routine and, am doing leg extension and Barbell Hack Squats as well. Except my sets are significantly lighter.

Barbell Hack Squats 135x20 Pyramiding to 225x6 over 4 sets.
Leg Extensions are 2 sets of 40x50

I've got 4 other exercises for legs as well. I'm training for shape and definition as opposed to size at this time. From a BB'ing point of view, my legs are out of proportion for my upper body. In a positive way though. My legs and calves are much too big when compared to my upper body. My calves are a dominating muscle group, which is very rare. My latest regiment is posted in the general workout thread to get an idea.

Again, Pako, I'm simply amazed at the weights you can use.

I only do the following:

Squats (Narrow stance, all the way down, slow and controlled)
45 x 20
95 x 15

Machine Leg Extensions
85 x 20

I usually do this early in the morning form 5am to 7am and have a rest after that.

then i'll start preparing myself for my work at 8am.
these leg workouts are the only workouts i can do so far due to only necessary equipment are present.

and now, even my two children is now starting to do this routine but in a lighter and much shorter time...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been hard trying to get back into working out since my surgery. Work has been getting in the way of any consistent workouts which only adds to the frustration of being weaker. I'm still about 400lbs lite on the leg press. I should be around the 1200-1400lbs range for a 10 rep. Squats are down considerably also. Will have to just keep on keeping on I guess.

Due to my legs being out of proportion to my upper body (Thankfully, they are much bigger in comparison) I've been doing some brutal high rep workouts and supersets.

Calves are done on a seperate day. I do 2 Triple sets for them.

Standing Smith machine, 50 lbs for 30 reps.
Leg Press for Calves, 90 lbs for 30 reps.
Seated Calf Press, 195 lbs for 5-6 reps.

Stretch, then do it again. I usually group them in with a Muscle group that is lagging. In my most recent regiment, I've been doing them on Chest Day.

My leg day is a bit more brutal. Start with 10 minutes on the Elliptical Machine.

Barbell Hack Squats, on a 4" high block.
135lbs x 15
155lbs x 15
165lbs x 15
185lbs x As many as I can.

Leg Extensions
40lbs x 50
45lbs x 50

Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
135lbs x 15
155lbs x 10
165lbs x 8
185lbs x 6

Leg Press, Feet High & Tight together. Target the Glute Muscles.
90lbs x 50
90lbs x 50

Super set the next two exercises for 2 sets.
Hip Abductor
85lbs x 50

Sumo Bucket Squats
35lbs x 50

And then I finish it off with my standard 30 minutes on the elliptical

Sumo Bucket Squats

By far the most weight I've ever been able to shift is in calf raises in the 45degree lying leg press. 511 something lbs for 10 reps. Is that much or are you just that strong in the calf muscles?

That is a considerable amount. I don't think I've ever pushed my calf limit in any particular exercise. They are overdeveloped now, and I usually go for higher reps to harden them.

By far the most weight I've ever been able to shift is in calf raises in the 45degree lying leg press. 511 something lbs for 10 reps. Is that much or are you just that strong in the calf muscles?

Last time I hit my calves really hard I couldn't walk home. :lol:

Aha! Sommething I can actually brag about!

As a daily routine, I walk about a mile to school, and a mile back, and there are two steep hills in my way, so as a result of doing this since I was seven, I've got incredibly awesome calves and thighs.

Well, anyway, I can do more than 20 lunges with 20lbs, what gave out were my arms, and on one of those weight thingys, where you push out on a weighted pad, I got 300lbs for about 15 times.

Well, heaviest I've gone in a long time on legs today. Here's a taste of the heavy sets:

Smith Squats:
405x10
455x6

Hack Squats:
405x15

Machine Leg Extension:
150x15
200x12
Stacked the machine for 10 reps at 250lbs.

Followed up with some leg curls, 3 sets of 85lbs for 12 reps, single legged.

455 on squats buried me, I mean, folded me in half. I had to stay just above 90 degrees or I wasn't getting back up....so much pressure, but it was good. I need to keep pushing myself to get back to where I was and feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

:cheers:

Thanks to Der Alta's suggestion for the "hack squats", I can now do these at home. My legs are very weak so there is no sense in even posting the weight. lol

Finally got my 100Kg squat! Got it for 3 reps!

As my mates home from uni I finally have someone I trust to spot me on squats. Catching bars are great, but without a spot I just drop the bar as soon as I stall on the lift. My depth is several inches below parallel aswell :D

Oh and 1 legged squats are FUN.

Latest Posts

Back