Legalization of Marijuana

• Thread starter Event
  • 1,437 comments
Colorado is about to vote on legalizing psychedelic mushrooms.
Are magic mushrooms a big issue in Colorado? - i can see the benifits in legalizing marijuana and its derivatives, as its usage is widespread and mostly benign in usage and legalization can both reduce crime and potentially bring in tax revenue. The legalization of 'shrooms seems like a small fry decision that wont really benefit many.

Are magic mushrooms a big issue in Colorado? - i can see the benifits in legalizing marijuana and its derivatives, as its usage is widespread and mostly benign in usage and legalization can both reduce crime and potentially bring in tax revenue. The legalization of 'shrooms seems like a small fry decision that wont really benefit many.

I don't think it's a big issue, I think this is more a principled move in keeping with marijuana legalization.

Colorado is about to vote on legalizing psychedelic mushrooms.
Out of all of the drugs, I have never understood why "Shrooms" are illegal and have been illegal for so long. Not only do a relatively small percentage of the population have any desire to use them, they seem to be one of the safest and least prone to dependency (both physiological and psychological) out of any "controlled substance". Obviously they should be regulated, but I think it's even easier to make a case for the legalization of psychedelic mushrooms than even weed, since the amount of societal consequences brought about by them is completely negligible.

Last edited:
I have never understood why "Shrooms" are illegal and have been illegal for so long.
Typically, drugs remain schedule I because they "server no medical purpose". However, they're typically not (or can't be) researched so it's nearly impossible to discover a legitimate medical use for them to begin with.

The Staggers-Dodd Bill outlawed pretty much all psychedelics in 1968, which unsurprisingly was probably when they were the most popular. Given that the government is, well the government, and doesn't do anything remotely fast or unless someone throws a ton of money at it kind of makes sense that they're still illegal.

Mushroom and depression study.

I had this discussion with a family member of mine who is depressed. He and I have noticed that his depression has a lot to do with well-worn thought patterns. It's like his brain has reflexively been taught over many years to engage in a self-repeating cycle that represents a downward spiral. The research into these kind of treatments suggesting that the chemicals in these mushrooms can help the brain make new connections and break out of that pattern is really fascinating to me. Cognitive behavioral therapy is a really interesting branch of study, and I think drugs to promote cognitive flexibility are really interesting.

Anyway, I hope we legalize here soon.

Out of all of the drugs, I have never understood why "Shrooms" are illegal and have been illegal for so long. Not only do a relatively small percentage of the population have any desire to use them, they seem to be one of the safest and least prone to dependency (both physiological and psychological) out of any "controlled substance". Obviously they should be regulated, but I think it's even easier to make a case for the legalization of psychedelic mushrooms than even weed, since the amount of societal consequences brought about by them is completely negligible.
I guess the issue with actual magic mushrooms over a controlled dose of psilocybin, either synthetic or from dried 'shrooms themselves - i've read trials of both giving very similar results for similar sized doses, is that there's always a danger if individuals are trying to pick them wild as they do look like many other wild mushrooms, some of which you really don't want to be messing with. They are also difficult to dose accurately, meaning the possibility or probability of overdosing is quite high. Bad trips aren't much fun IMO.

Making them legal does open the door for them to be 'manufactured' and sold in a controlled way which is safer for the end user, if a little more expensive.

It seems likely that Minnesota will join the states where marijuana is legal now that the DFL (aka democrats) control both state branches as well as the governorship.

It will be odd to see weed be less restricted here than alcohol. :lol:

It seems likely that Minnesota will join the states where marijuana is legal now that the DFL (aka democrats) control both state branches as well as the governorship.

It will be odd to see weed be less restricted here than alcohol. :lol:
Can you grow plants?

The Minnesota bill to legalize marijuana has been introduced, initial proposal is up to 2oz when purchasing and the ability to have up to 8 plants if growing (only 4 can be mature at 1 time). It would also expunge prior marijuana related convictions.

Last edited:
The Minnesota bill to legalize marijuana has been introduced, initial proposal is up to 2oz when purchasing and the ability to have up to 8 plants if growing (only 4 can be mature at 1 time). It would also expunge prior marijuana related convictions.

I grow weed as a hobby. I think it gets a little sticky (hey phrasing) when they limit what you can have as far as seedlings to mature plants. I don’t think there is a real solid definition on what’s considered mature.

In California I can have 6 plants. I like that system. Mature, seedling, vegetative state/flowering state does not matter. Where the technicalities come in is like say you have 6 plants you are about to chop down and harvest in a few days and have 6 seeds germinating. As soon as the seed pops, they consider that a plant. There is a chance that by the letter you have now broken the law and could technically get in trouble for it. But I think they realize that they have better things to do and it’s not really enforced or probably not even really worth it. Either way, if anyone wants to grow, read real deep into the legalities.

I'd like to see something more permissive than that, as well as having the ambiguity addressed as @Blood Eagle spoke above, but that's definitely a good thing.

Not such a good thing? Harsher sentencing for federal convictions based on past marijuana offenses in states that have since become more progressive with regard to marijuana.

Last edited:
Florida has begrudgingly operated the nation’s most exclusive medical marijuana market since voters approved Amendment 2 in 2016. It is exclusive by design, offering licenses only to a select handful of well-endowed business interests. Now, Florida must minimally expand this good ‘ole boys club of licensees to bring the state back into compliance with its laws.

The Florida Department of Health, which oversees the state’s medical marijuana program, published emergency regulations last month announcing that it will make 22 additional licenses available to operate a medical marijuana business in Florida. That would double the existing number of medical marijuana business licenses and satisfy statutory provisions requiring the number of licensees to grow in proportion to the population of registered medical marijuana patients in the state.

Florida is years behind schedule in making these new licenses available. Last September, a state appeals court judge admonished the Department of Health’s delay tactics, insinuating that agency lawyers had misrepresented their intentions to the court. The judge also noted that nearly five years had passed without the department making new licenses available as it should have.

Unfortunately, the agency foot-dragging seems destined to continue. The new emergency regulations declare that the new medical cannabis licenses will be awarded in so-called “batching cycles,” in which the state can choose to make as few as one license available at a time. Any applicants applying for that single license would need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $146,000 and have five days to prepare an exhaustive license application detailing security, operational and staffing plans, facility designs, and financial holdings of all proposed owners and operators.

Florida’s Office of Medical Marijuana Use estimates that 150 applicants will seek a license. Those that do not win a license in the first batching cycle would need to re-apply in a subsequent batching cycle and submit another non-refundable application fee of $146,000. The agency reserves total discretion to establish its timing for opening any batching cycle.

This move continues years of medical marijuana obstructionism by Florida’s political class. Amendment 2 required Florida to adopt implementing regulations within six months of its 2016 passage. But the legislature elected to provide no guidance during its spring 2017 session, although then-Gov. Rick Scott called lawmakers into a special session to debate the issue that June.

The legislature adopted a statute that prohibited smokable marijuana products—a provision the state courts later ruled violated the intent of Amendment 2. The legislature also limited the initial number of medical marijuana licenses to 10, allowing wealthy owners of citrus processing facilities to secure two of the licenses.

Perhaps most significantly, the statutory provisions prohibit the state’s medical cannabis licensees from wholesaling any products amongst each other. In most states with legalized medical marijuana, a licensee can operate a cannabis cultivation facility at any scale and can manage and wholesale their products to other manufacturers or dispensaries. In Florida, however, full vertical integration is required, which means a medical marijuana business must have large amounts of money needed to build out multiple types of facilities in an industry where federal law still prohibits access to bank loans and other traditional sources of financing. This requirement effectively established barriers for smaller businesses wishing to operate in Florida.

Current Gov. Ron DeSantis has furthered medical marijuana opposition. DeSantis recently noted the pent-up demand for medical marijuana licensees and said he wants to charge more for the privilege of doing business in the state.

“I mean, these are very valuable licenses,” Gov. DeSantis said. “I would charge them an arm and a leg. I mean, everybody wants these licenses.”

The DeSantis administration also issued a new fee schedule for renewing existing cannabis licenses that raises the two-year fee by more than 2,000 percent, from about $60,000 to $1.33 million.

“Why wouldn’t we take the opportunity to make money for the state based off those [licenses]?” DeSantis asked rhetorically before the increase. At the time, he elaborated, “I do think that would require a statutory change, and I don’t think that’s something we could just do through administrative rule.” Yet, his administration is doing it through an administrative rule.

The amendment to legalize medical marijuana in Florida got over 71 percent of the vote in 2016. Nearly seven years later, Florida’s politicians should finally stop using red tape, fees, and bureaucracy to block businesses that want to provide legally prescribed medication to patients in need.
Such small government. Very freedom. Wow.

Mental illness.
I'd like to say Karma's a bitch, but in this case he's a male dog. He was trained by police to sniff out drugs, even when they weren't there.
Police handler bias is a real problem with K-9 units and nobody seems interested in eliminating it. When it comes to civil rights infingements that can prove quite lucrative for law enforcement, I guess they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them (bdum).

Last edited:

IMG_4628.gif

It certainly tracks that he is from Maple Grove, very much an "upper middle-class out of touch with reality" population.

The bill did pass though so now they just have to iron out the differences between the senate and house versions before heading to the governors desk, which is just a formality as he already said he will sign it.

Regular use of cannabis in young males strongly correlated with schizophrenia, accounting for as many as 30% of cases for this group:

As a left-libertarian I'm as pro weed legalization as the next guy here. But the findings of this study, which were released just a few days ago, are pretty alarming and should be much more widely publicized. For decades there has been alarm bells ringing about the potential correlation between weed and schizophrenia- though the link was tenuous then, these findings change that. Perhaps all legal weed sales should have disclaimers that THC can increase the likelihood of psychosis in the same way there are "this product causes cancer" label on nicotine products? Because schizophrenia is much more severe than most mental illnesses and effectively a death sentence for many afflicted; its almost impossible to maintain employment, stable relationships, have a chronic homelessness rate as high as 40%, and a lower life expectancy by 20-25 years. Going to a large, fairly progressive college in a legal weed state, the amount of students who use weed regularly is quite high, and occurs in all types of crowds, not just the counter-culture "stoner" type anymore. Just like with alcohol, occasional and responsible use of weed is not a problem and not likely to noticeably impact your health. But given that weed is being de-stigmatized, as it should be, it seems like a lot of my peers believe its some kind of wonder drug because it makes you feel good and you don't get a hangover and you can still have a job and good grades while using, and very few seem to be aware of the genuine schizophrenia risk. This is especially as the percentage THC concentration in weed products, whether traditional joints or edibles, vapes, dabs, etc, are much higher than they used to be, and younger users tend to favor products with higher THC versus CBD.

Last edited:
Even before the study, it seemed like it wouldn't be a big jump to find a correlation between ingesting a foreign substance and adverse health effects. However, most weed users I know will defend it to the death saying it's all natural, you can't get addicted, and it doesn't cause any issues because it's natural. Never mind that tobacco is natural and all natural as is alcohol but that's beside the point.

I'm willing to bet the more studies that are done looking at the adverse effects of marijuana use, we will eventually find out it's on par with drinking alcohol or using tobacco. Granted, this isn't a reason to ban it though. People should make their own informed decision on whether they're willing to accept the risks or not.

The social health benefit I recall potheads espousing is that unlike most drugs, take alcohol, cocaine and heroin as specific examples, it's practically impossible to overdose on marijuana.

Not denying it at all, but I always find this interesting when there's my friends and I who have been doing this since high school, on a daily basis for some, and mostly daily for others, doing fairly well for ourselves. It's pretty jarring difference to read about that other side of the fence and how it affects others. Only times I've felt adverse side affects are either when I haven't eaten anything, or if I had some sort of caffeine within a few hours of partaking - both situations I tend to avoid.

The social health benefit I recall potheads espousing is that unlike most drugs, take alcohol, cocaine and heroin as specific examples, it's practically impossible to overdose on marijuana.
I've never looked into that, though there are definite times I've seen people get tunnel vision and completely collapse and go unconscious. Usually after a cough attack from trying to inhale/ingest way too much due to the lack of oxygen and getting very high. Times like that are definitely dangerous for those people, and potentially for those around them - especially for those that drive while smoking. I just never understood why some people try to push that it's completely safe off issues.. you're literally burning something and taking smoke into your lungs and holding it for prolonged periods. That part alone contradicts it.

Not denying it at all, but I always find this interesting when there's my friends and I who have been doing this since high school, on a daily basis for some, and mostly daily for others, doing fairly well for ourselves.
I think like any substance one uses, it affects people differently. I can drink caffeine all day and never have an adverse reaction, but I know people who will go tachycardic after one cup of coffee. Alcohol is the same way, I can drink quite a bit before I feel anything and I tolerate alcohol pretty well, I have friends though that I wouldn't let drive after just one Bud Light because they're so tipsy. I have to imagine with marijuana, some people just process it better than others.

I think like any substance one uses, it affects people differently. I can drink caffeine all day and never have an adverse reaction, but I know people who will go tachycardic after one cup of coffee. Alcohol is the same way, I can drink quite a bit before I feel anything and I tolerate alcohol pretty well, I have friends though that I wouldn't let drive after just one Bud Light because they're so tipsy. I have to imagine with marijuana, some people just process it better than others.
Oh yeah for sure, I understand that part. Just that it's always been interesting to me the wild variation from what I encounter to what others. I'm with you on all of that, really. I seemingly have a high tolerance to all of that, except smoking. My body never seemed to change that over the years. Coffee only jacks me up if I'm on an empty stomach, thats when I feel like my hearts gonna pop out. As long as I'm fed I'm ok - though, thinking about it, that seems to be my process for any of these substances it seems.

Though, recently I completely gave up caffeine cold-turkey and try to limit drinking to just Friday/Saturday.

I must know a lot of closet schizophrenics. The report seems at odds with my experience of the drug though. The most dangerous thing it did to me was act as a gateway to alcohol and tobacco.

I must know a lot of closet schizophrenics. The report seems at odds with my experience of the drug though. The most dangerous thing it did to me was act as a gateway to alcohol and tobacco.
Mostly what I was feeling too, I dont know a single person that I can apply this to. Though, I also don't know many people that only smoke to be able to make that connection either. I have anxiety crop up from time to time, way before I was doing, well, any of this and those specific times I mentioned above that I try to stay away from can sometimes make it act up. Though, again, it existed long before I dabbled and even with that said, I can get the same feelings from just being way too caffeinated.

As I was writing that last sentence, I searched on Google if caffeine can cause psychosis, and apparently that does as well. So can Tobacco, and alcohol. From what I'm understanding, basically anything will cause psychosis. That's interesting. Maybe I'm just a functioning schizophrenic?

An average of approximately 1% of adults currently live with schizophrenia so as an anti-dope scare story this is kind of a non-starter for me. I'm half African though so am apparently six times more likely to experience psychotic episodes. Perhaps I was just one of the lucky fifteen out of sixteen.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back