Legalization of Marijuana

• Thread starter Event
  • 1,437 comments
We are currently voting on the Cannabis legalisation and control referendum here in NZ.... So far it looks to be edging towards keeping status quo (illegal) according to some of the latest polls, but at least it's not completely one sided at the moment (I think it was about 55/45).

Having listened to both sides of the debate, it disappoints me that we still have some very old fashioned and short sighted views here in NZ... I though we were more of a progressive country than this.

The of the main things that pushes me to support this kind of reform is that with all the financial difficulties COVID has caused, surely this money is better going to the government than the black market. At least there is a chance of it being returned to the community in some form (healthcare, education maybe ?).

I think we'll need some luck to get this one over the line.

We are currently voting on the Cannabis legalisation and control referendum here in NZ.... So far it looks to be edging towards keeping status quo (illegal) according to some of the latest polls, but at least it's not completely one sided at the moment (I think it was about 55/45).

Having listened to both sides of the debate, it disappoints me that we still have some very old fashioned and short sighted views here in NZ... I though we were more of a progressive country than this.

The of the main things that pushes me to support this kind of reform is that with all the financial difficulties COVID has caused, surely this money is better going to the government than the black market. At least there is a chance of it being returned to the community in some form (healthcare, education maybe ?).

I think we'll need some luck to get this one over the line.

I'm not sure what the arguments are against it. The biggest one here is always DUI. But of course DUI is still not allowed so... uh... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not sure what the arguments are against it. The biggest one here is always DUI. But of course DUI is still not allowed so... uh... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One is that they 'believe' it'll be easier for under age persons to access (they have purposed 20 years or older).... I don't fully understand this side as it's never really been difficult to get your hands on at any age group here ?
I think it's more dangerous leaving it on the black market, it's going to expose these younger ones that want to try it to much harder drugs right from the start... I have heard a few stories of places saying they don't have any MJ left have you tried Meth before !!

Another story was from a guy that smoked himself stupid (reckoned he lost 30 IQ points) and that's why it should remain illegal... Again this is the stupidity of some arguments, legal or not some muppets are still going to go overboard, why should the majority of those that can control themselves be put out by they odd person who can't ??

Oh well, voting has finished now, apparently results will be released later this month.

At this stage NZ has failed ....

Today's results show 46.1 per cent voted for legalised cannabis, compared to 53.1 per cent against.

The official result, however, won't be known until November 6, when 480,000-odd special votes will be included in the final count.

It was close at least... But too many people sucked in to the old fashioned propaganda by the looks of it... Disappointing, we have basically kept the income for our gangs intact :banghead: .

The argument that legalising it makes it easier for minors to get hold of it is a strange one because it's already easier for minors to get hold of. Is it easier to buy something that shop won't sell you or buy something that any backstreet dealer will?

In principle it's no different to fags and alcohol, which are restricted items for general sale yet there isn't the same uproar about banning alcohol and tobacco so that kids can't get hold of them. A real paradox opinion to hold.

The argument that legalising it makes it easier for minors to get hold of it is a strange one because it's already easier for minors to get hold of. Is it easier to buy something that shop won't sell you or buy something that any backstreet dealer will?

In principle it's no different to fags and alcohol, which are restricted items for general sale yet there isn't the same uproar about banning alcohol and tobacco so that kids can't get hold of them. A real paradox opinion to hold.
What is illegal for minors tells you something about the morality, values and economics of a culture, in my opinion. The news is that more conservatives are now accepting the legalization of marijuana, so that will soon be more widespread. My only concern is the fate of commercial hemp farming.

At this stage NZ has failed ....

Today's results show 46.1 per cent voted for legalised cannabis, compared to 53.1 per cent against.

The official result, however, won't be known until November 6, when 480,000-odd special votes will be included in the final count.

It was close at least... But too many people sucked in to the old fashioned propaganda by the looks of it... Disappointing, we have basically kept the income for our gangs intact :banghead: .

I find that quite surprising. I'd have thought NZ would be a shoo in for getting that one passed, because my experience with Kiwis is that 100% of them have at least smoked weed at some point.

A shame, as it'd be nice if Australia legalised it at some point and I guarantee that we'll be five to ten years behind NZ on that one.

The one thing I don't like about legal weed is that it's so obnoxious. That stuff gives me a reactive airway. I had to move out of my condo because all my neighbors were potheads and I was getting headaches from the stench. Horrible.

The one thing I don't like about legal weed is that it's so obnoxious. That stuff gives me a reactive airway. I had to move out of my condo because all my neighbors were potheads and I was getting headaches from the stench. Horrible.

Your HOA didn't make any rules about it? Mine had a zero tolerance policy. Which got me into hot water as I was smoking my hookah outdoors (with about 5 foot fencing around our back yards) and my neighbor reported me.

But the obnoxious part, I fully agree with. It is now no different in Michigan than the craft beers that swept the state a decade earlier. No need to be snobby about drugs. I stood behind a guy in line at a dispensary and watched a guy smell everyone and study each one like it was on the law exam. Like, dude, the cheap stuff is already pre rolled and ready to go.

*Note, I also tried to get a permit to open one last year as the legalization in my state has hurt my hookah lounge business.

Your HOA didn't make any rules about it? Mine had a zero tolerance policy. Which got me into hot water as I was smoking my hookah outdoors (with about 5 foot fencing around our back yards) and my neighbor reported me.

But the obnoxious part, I fully agree with. It is now no different in Michigan than the craft beers that swept the state a decade earlier. No need to be snobby about drugs. I stood behind a guy in line at a dispensary and watched a guy smell everyone and study each one like it was on the law exam. Like, dude, the cheap stuff is already pre rolled and ready to go.

*Note, I also tried to get a permit to open one last year as the legalization in my state has hurt my hookah lounge business.
We were the HOA. Pot heads don't care and it was too small of a building.

There are other ways to take it. Smoking, including non-pot smoke, has this common issue of 2nd hand smoke bothering people nearby. It's an issue that is entirely separable.

There are other ways to take it. Smoking, including non-pot smoke, has this common issue of 2nd hand smoke bothering people nearby. It's an issue that is entirely separable.
Yep. I'm totally for legalization. I just think it's repulsive.

I find that quite surprising. I'd have thought NZ would be a shoo in for getting that one passed, because my experience with Kiwis is that 100% of them have at least smoked weed at some point.

A shame, as it'd be nice if Australia legalised it at some point and I guarantee that we'll be five to ten years behind NZ on that one.

It was always looking like a 50/50 call for us... There is a large percentage that have tried or use it here that's for sure, but yeah I reckon a lot were sucked in by out of date, factless propaganda.... I think because it was fairly close though, there may be some kind of reforms to the laws coming, just not to the point where we can simply go to shop.

I thought there was one state in Aus that had it legal or semi legal at least ?

I was very happy when marijuana was allowed to be used for medical purposes in Florida, as I had suffered from migraines since I was 16. And it is for people like me that it is necessary to legalize marijuana for medical purposes. And I don't understand why it takes so long to solve this issue in the 21st century. It is the choice of each person to use it or not. But when it comes to health, the law is the last thing you care about. For those who live in a place where marijuana is not yet legalized, and they need the herb for medical purposes, I advise you to try Canadian mushrooms. It is much more convenient to take them in an edible form than to smoke them.

Last edited:
Moral panic. Yay!

D5C1C4A9-4779-4FFC-99BF-A080E8411738.gif

Like, what data?

Slovakia has removed cannabidiol, or CBD, from its list of psychotropic substances. This means that its use in products will no longer be classified as a monitored substance.

Now trust me, Slovakia is a long way away from actually legalising or decriminalising marijuana but this is at least a start.

Last edited:
Now legal for purchase and possession in Alabama with appropriate medical permissions. I'd prefer to see it legalized outright, of course, but this is a step in the right direction.

Latest Posts

Back