Legendary's Toyota Crown Majesta - First Post in 5+ Years

• Thread starter Legendary
  • 595 comments
Australia
South Australia
GTP_Legendary724
Legendary724
One and a half years at work, 5.5k savings later and I finally have a car! I bought it off a family friend on Wednesday night. I have driven a few times since but haven't had any time to properly look at it until today.

Being a student I probably wont update this thread all this much due a small income but I may as well have it for whenever I do anything to the car, big or small.

It's a 1996 Subaru Impreza RX.
216000km's
5 Speed Manual
2.0L ej20
AWD

So it's a sensible yet fun first car. With not too much power its relatively economical when compared to something like Australia's commodore and not too dangerous for a young driver. It doesn't have any of the newer safety features like airbags, abs or tc but I guess that's an incentive to drive more sensibly.

One of the biggest pluses to it is that it's clean. The body is incredibly straight with only a few chips along the front bumper. This is surprising as the guy lives in a small countryish town where dirt roads are not uncommon. The car has recently had the timing belts done (200k) and has just been serviced and roadworthied.

Not only is it mechanically clean and physically clean but its mostly mod free. The car hasn't been raped in all directions by cheap plastic parts like some Impreza's we may have seen.
The only mods/ whatever you want to call it on it that I know of are:

• Twin exhaust tip on the standard exhaust system.
  • 4 aftermarket speakers + sub and headunit (not really a mod I guess).
  • 4 15" ROH rims
  • Genuine STI Foglight Covers
  • Pod Air Filter

The list of things to do (probably will update as I go):
  • Replace all window tint. All the tint is old and the rear windscreen tint is so bad that the glue seems to have surfaced or something to the point where the whole window is just a blur (picture below). The rest of the tint is fine from that perspective but is also old and scratched up. DONE
  • Tidy wiring around the car (boot, under seat)

List of things to buy and hopefully buy:
  • Seat covers, the seats are in good condition and I want to keep it that way.
  • Possibly new floor mats, current ones look pretty aged.
  • Genuine GC8 STI Tailights? I think it would look good, not sure about everyone else.DONE
  • Eventually I want some 17" Black Advan RS wheels.

All I need now is my P license so I can drive by myself :P.

Apologies for the photo quality, I haven't gotten into a photo taking mood yet and these are with the phone :lol:.

Exterior:
20120308_064259.jpg

20120308_064312.jpg

20120308_064523.jpg

20120308_064535.jpg

20120310_180443.jpg

20120310_180555.jpg

20120310_180617.jpg

Interior:

20120308_064445.jpg

20120310_180701.jpg

20120310_180832.jpg

(Nearly Empty :(..)

20120310_180851.jpg

20120310_180952.jpg

20120310_181018.jpg

Other:

20120310_180404.jpg

20120310_180518.jpg

20120310_180734.jpg

Thats the bad tint, you can easily see the blur. Thats during the day, night time is 1000 times worse.

Thanks if you read all of this, comments and opinions are welcome :).

Last edited:
I wish my parents would have made me buy my own car. I probably would appreciate it much more than I corrently do.

I wish my parents would have made me buy my own car. I probably would appreciate it much more than I corrently do.

That's one of the reasons they made me do it. I am thankful that they did but it sucked :P.

Legendary
That's one of the reasons they made me do it. I am thankful that they did but it sucked :P.

My parents bought me a $15,000 car about a year ago. As odd as it sounds, I'm actually jelly of you.

My parents bought me a $15,000 car about a year ago. As odd as it sounds, I'm actually jelly of you.

Not personally towards you, but I honestly hate it when I see kids rock up in cars their parents bought them. It doesn't teach them any life skills at all.

Legendary
Not personally towards you, but I honestly hate it when I see kids rock up in cars their parents bought them. It doesn't teach them any life skills at all.

Very true. I don't go around talking about my car alot. Alot of my friends don't even know I have a car. I find it embarrassing to tell people what car I have.

Very true. I don't go around talking about my car alot. Alot of my friends don't even know I have a car. I find it embarrassing to tell people what car I have.

Instead of telling us you have one, tell us what it is :lol:!
Can't get that embarrassed over the internet, surely.

Nice Subaru! That's a very nice first car and if you can definitely have fun with it if you want to.

I've always bought my own cars. Sadly, one thing it taught me is that I can't buy a good car. My first 2 cars had some expensive issues, which as a student at the time, was hard to deal with.

'08 Nissan Altima Coupe

I wouldn't be embarassed to have that. But agreed you appreciate your car alot more when it's been payed with your own money. Earned through your own labor. I was rocking a '00 Dodge Neon before my truck. It wasn't mine my parents let me use it as if it were mine. So I took good care of it. But not as much as my Truck, or my Mustang.

Nice Subaru! That's a very nice first car and if you can definitely have fun with it if you want to.

I've always bought my own cars. Sadly, one thing it taught me is that I can't buy a good car. My first 2 cars had some expensive issues, which as a student at the time, was hard to deal with.
Thanks :). If you put your mind to it you can have nice things, you just have to wait a while.

Now that it's pretty much out of fuel and I dont get payed till Tuesday night I figured I may as well clean it. It gave me a good idea of what was dirt and what are actually chips. There are few chips in the bonnet and not as many as I would think on the front bumper. So happy with the whole car so far, such a steal compared to others here :).

20120311_165839.jpg

20120311_165718.jpg

20120311_165741.jpg

20120311_165806.jpg

20120311_165825.jpg

Oh, hey, I only just noticed you live in Brisbane, too. Nice work on the whole first car thing. Looks tidy.
Might I make one suggestion, that will make the rear of your car look A LOT better... Grab a heat gun, set it on low heat and carefully heat that RACQ sticker, and remove it.
Makes it look rather grandad spec.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you? If you see my GT4 getting around be sure to beep and wave lol

EDIT: By the way, you use the heat gun to remove the tint from your rear window too, comes off quite easily. I had to do it to mine when I got it, as the sun had made it do the same thing. Makes it a lot safer, as visibility is fairly reduced.

Oh, hey, I only just noticed you live in Brisbane, too. Nice work on the whole first car thing. Looks tidy.
Might I make one suggestion, that will make the rear of your car look A LOT better... Grab a heat gun, set it on low heat and carefully heat that RACQ sticker, and remove it.
Makes it look rather grandad spec.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you? If you see my GT4 getting around be sure to beep and wave lol

EDIT: By the way, you use the heat gun to remove the tint from your rear window too, comes off quite easily. I had to do it to mine when I got it, as the sun had made it do the same thing. Makes it a lot safer, as visibility is fairly reduced.
Yeah I certainly do need to get rid of the sticker. Funnily enough I only noticed it yesterday after I went to touch up some of the photos. It seems to blend in with the bumper or something.

I am thinking that priority one is to get the tint redone, so if I can do it soon I wont bother pulling it off as it's quite difficult getting the glue off apparently. If I have to wait a while I guess I might have to take it off as the visibility is terrible.

Im only 30-40 mins north of Brisbane, around the Morayfield area, you have probably heard of it having been to Lakeside? Infact, I might as well just say I am 10-15 mins from Lakeside :lol:. I dont think I have seen your GT4 around, I have known of it for ages but I figure you dont live or come anywhere near me that often.

Oh, no I don't go to the north side too often in my car, I have some mates that live in Kallangur though. I'm in Wynnum. Ah well I'll give you a shout if theres something worth going to at Lakeside, if you're interested, seen as its close.

You aren't all that far from my school, school's at Clayfield. My work is at Kallangur though, if you have ever come into the Woolies there you may have seen me :P.

Yeah sure thing, soon enough I will have my P's and doing stuff like that will be easier, so yeah, feel free to let us know.

I'm going to Lakeside on March 24th-25th if you want to meet me, a classic car race meet, will definitely be worth it. Tidy Imprezza, I don't like the look of the driver's mat there, the view looks as though it will get in the way of the pedals often. I don't have a driver's mat at all for that very reason.

I'm going to Lakeside on March 24th-25th if you want to meet me, a classic car race meet, will definitely be worth it. Tidy Imprezza, I don't like the look of the driver's mat there, the view looks as though it will get in the way of the pedals often. I don't have a driver's mat at all for that very reason.
Ill probably be working one of the days if not both but yeah, I will see how I go. Definitely keen to get down there but like I said, once I get my P's freedom will be easier to obtain :lol:.

The mat isn't a problem, hardly noticeable for me anyway. I'm not sure what a more experienced driver thinks, whether its the way or not but it doesn't seem to be. I just washed them all and re-positioned them a bit so they don't curl up the sides like that. Nothing will stop it going up behind the pedals though.

EDIT: And an update on the RACQ sticker, it's gone :).

You won't need to be an experienced driver to tell if it's in the way, it will either move around while driving and get caught behind pedals, or it will stay put and you'll never notice it's even there.

Congratulations! It looks in really clean shape - I think you'll enjoy it for years to come. And don't worry, the ecstasy of owning your own vehicle won't wear off any time soon! 👍

You won't need to be an experienced driver to tell if it's in the way, it will either move around while driving and get caught behind pedals, or it will stay put and you'll never notice it's even there.
Yeah they aren't catching on anything.

Nice car you've got there 👍 Looks amazingly clean!
Thanks!

Just made a small video while the parents were out to give and idea of how it sounds:

I like it.
I might sound over the top But turbo it if its not turboed yet, change exhaust.

If this was my car i would do that and il put sti wheels or wrx wheels something to make the car more tasty.

I am looking at changing the wheels once I can afford it. I can't turbo the car, not until I am something like 20 or 21 and on my open license. Until then I am stuck with power and induction restrictions etc. Not that I would bother turboing this anyway, if I really wanted a WRX in the future, this sells for just as much as a WRX anyway.

Heres a look at what the new wheels could look like, they are the Advan/ Ultrex RS wheels I mentioned in first post.

547755_3680790063856_1398181823_3552202_1178474864_n.jpg

557636_3680798064056_1398181823_3552206_939370758_n.jpg

Do you have facebook Punknoodle?

Back